Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I see in the paper that there are guide volunteers working in Viking triangle area to help guide tourists. Fair play to all involved, doing more than their bit for the future of Waterford City. I remember seeing that suggestion on here probably about a year ago, someone was listening/reading. I used to work in city centre not long ago and you might often see tourist looking around a bit lost, no harm for us all to chip in and ask do they need help. Usually they are looking for Waterford Crystal, a pub or the shopping area (city and JR square).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Sully wrote: »
    Yeah don't think that was the second jobs announcement

http://www.waterford-news.ie/2013/06/28/city-centre-restaurant-creates-30-new-jobs/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Eishtec are starting a training company and a software development company, keep your eyes peeled if you are a trainer or software developer i presume.

Seems to be a few new shops opened up on the Quay/ VT area. tea shop, vintage clothes shop, arts and crafts shop. Great to see people making a go of it, positivity is there, even with talk of rates increases etc, people ar epositive about the city, including myself.

also,
    Waterford Today website says new firestation to be started in next month or 2, id say make that 2 :) but good news anyway, frees up the court house then for its expansion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Max Powers wrote: »
    Seems to be a few new shops opened up on the Quay/ VT area. tea shop, vintage clothes shop, arts and crafts shop. Great to see people making a go of it, positivity is there, even with talk of rates increases etc, people ar epositive about the city, including myself.

also,
    Waterford Today website says new firestation to be started in next month or 2, id say make that 2 :) but good news anyway, frees up the court house then for its expansion.

Yes saw that a good local contractor from limerick...

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Yes saw that a good local contractor from limerick...

positive thread please, didnt see that but bring it up in politics section or new thread will ya and we can have days of fun debating e-tenders, who awards them, council, OPW etc.

Comeragh wild festival this Thurs to Sun. I know its county but how lucky we are to have this type of scenery on our doorstep. See link
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/ireland/one-wild-festival-camping-in-the-comeraghs-1.1529603

In Sunday Times Best Place to Live, Waterford done well:
    • Tramore was second best place to live in Munster (Midleton 1st). Gave a great few paragraphs on natural amenities around Tramore, city on doorstep etc
    • Waterford 4th best place for foodies in the country. Righly recognsiing some of the cities brilliant restaurants and food festival
    • Waterford 5th best place for Students. Basically a great write-up for WIT.

All in all Waterford got a good write up and reading what they say about Tramore and whats happening in Waterford was very good.

Reminder: Positive thread, this is not a thread for negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

2 posts here since July; says a lot really!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

mozattack wrote: »

It says the thread died out like they all do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Plans are already under way for SAW Fest 2014. It may have been of little interest to locals but we had/have enough national and international interest to keep the momentum going for next September. Some small but worthwhile tourism for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Right then

Waterford crystal is under going work (jobs) and theres suppose to be a call centre going in there so its nice to see work being done, people getting work and the old building living again.

Theres a new fire brigade station underway on the kilbarry road bringing more jobs in construction and a nice new state of the art fire station.

Theres a new petrol station being built beside aldi there, the old one is being completely knocked and that should be nice when finished,

There also a huge engineering project going on in the city with the flood defences, eddie rockets is well underway, subway is openning a new store and on and on and on..... oh no here comes the neigh sayers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Glanbia are spending €180,000,000.00 on a milk drying plant in belview . Will have 180 truck movements a day when up and running, the spin offs will be huge.

Don't even go there with 'it's in Kilkenny'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Well theres always a positive

theres a fairly dacent road out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Right then

Waterford crystal is under going work (jobs) and theres suppose to be a call centre going in there so its nice to see work being done, people getting work and the old building living again.

Theres a new fire brigade station underway on the kilbarry road bringing more jobs in construction and a nice new state of the art fire station.

Theres a new petrol station being built beside aldi there, the old one is being completely knocked and that should be nice when finished,

There also a huge engineering project going on in the city with the flood defences, eddie rockets is well underway, subway is openning a new store and on and on and on..... oh no here comes the neigh sayers.

The reg is opening next month with up to 40 new jobs

the wacky apple is opening back up this friday under a new name

a new Thai restaurant opened last week and is very nice :)

mozattack wrote: »

Lads, trying to keep one positive thread, it might not be the busiest one but no need to be spreading misery here, it says reasons to be positive not opportunities to spread negativity. most of us are sick of the constant negativity, we recognise that we have problems but we are publicising the positives in this thread of which there are some to be happy about. There are numerous other threads here for people to whine and complain till their hearts content.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

You'se make the best beer in Ireland, that's a reason to be positive.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Glanbia are spending €180,000,000.00 on a milk drying plant in belview . Will have 180 truck movements a day when up and running, the spin offs will be huge.

Don't even go there with 'it's in Kilkenny'

This will be good for waterford, like huge, the chineese market for irish baby formula is huge and they pay upto 4 times the price for irish baby formula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Jobs announcement at 2:30 today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

yeah Damien tiernan tweeted that there is some good news for waterford today :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.thejournal.ie/jobs-waterford-and-wexford-eishtec-1145413-Oct2013
    AN IRISH CUSTOMER contact solution provider, Eistec, is to create a further 250 jobs for its sites in Waterford and Wexford by mid-2014.

The old waterford crystal site now has hoardings and sign posts up, its going to be a new business park. Hopefully it will attract new businesses so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

irish_goat wrote: »
    You'se make the best beer in Ireland, that's a reason to be positive.

Which one is that? Are you talking one of the Metalman brews or the Dungarvan ones? Or some other one that I haven't yet heard of...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Speak Now

fricatus wrote: »
    Which one is that? Are you talking one of the Metalman brews or the Dungarvan ones? Or some other one that I haven't yet heard of...

Metalman pale ale i'd say.

Metalman / Dungarvan, they are all brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Max Powers wrote: »
    Metalman / Dungarvan, they are all brilliant.

I find it amazing you can walk into a pub in town and get a blank look from the bar staff when you ask for a pint of metalman :(

I find it amazing you can walk into a pub in town and get a blank look from the bar staff when you ask for a pint of metalman :(

I know this is meant to be a positive thread but totally agree, happened last weekend when I was out after asking for MM, then Helvick ''so you dont have any Waterford beers here''...''nah''.
    Luckily we left that pub after 2 and went to a pub that serves Metalman, it was like a re-awakening of my beer taste buds, no comparison, i would rather have 2 pints of MM or Dungarvan than 6,7,8 of the coloured water dished out by diageo, inbev or any of these other monsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Metalman Pale Ale is as good a beer as is out there. Great stuff.

Some of their seasonal beers are wonderful too.

Geoffs & The Munster stock them & I think Phil Grimes & The Front Lounge too.
    Hopefully before long everywhere will.

Looking forward to their being good craft ciders available on tap here at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭jmcc

Advertisement