Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DOBR

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    Well bringing to think I'm talking to myself here but just in case anyone was waiting with bated breath I finally found out what the community shop is...

It sells new and used items and uses the profit to support local projects and charities. The main charity seems to be for MS so at least if that shop is gone they are still getting some money.

In December 2011. MS Ireland decided to close down the MS Charity Shop in Bray. There were 2 paid staff and and one person working on a scheme working in the shop. To create employment for myself and the other staff members, I invested in the shop and re-opened in February 2012. The shop is called Valentine's Community Shop. The shop operates similar to a charity shop in that is sells donated goods for re-sale. The shop will be supporting people with MS in Wicklow and Ballywalltrim community centre this year. Next year we will be supporting Open Door Day Care Centre in Bray. For the shop to succeed it is vital that we receive donations, so that we can support local community projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Anyone know what's going on at the old Munch premises? Windows are newly soaped up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DOBR

Anyone know what's going on at the old Munch premises? Windows are newly soaped up...

Munch is re-opening on 1st. May under new management!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

DOBR wrote: »
    Munch is re-opening on 1st. May under new management!

Hope the food is better. Munch was awful.

Bray needs somewhere that serves more than Chips and paninis!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Is shelbys closed anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

foxy06 wrote: »
    Is shelbys closed anyone know?

Yeah, they're gone :( Shame, they were great value, especially if you followed their facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Shelby's is closed down, my sister's boyfriend was a chef there! such a shame! the new chinese on Quinsboro road is very good and quite reasonable tho, a new cafe where Munch was also opened, hope some more places open!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

Any reviews of P We Ton, the new Chinese on Quinnsboro Road? Unusual name, I think its a persons name, Cantonese probably.

Also, the new munch shop...its new management? I thought it used to be one of the molloys family running it before. Quite the family monopoly in Molloys/Liz-Annes/Munch. Unless Im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭danois

P We Ton is lovely everyone who I have spoken to who has eaten there agrees. Highly reccomend it.

I heard that where teto's( i think it was called) used to be is being turned into a bbq resturaunt. I seen builders in it doing it up its meant to be an oakwood smoked bbq resturaunt not sure tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

danois wrote: »
    I heard that where teto's( i think it was called) used to be is being turned into a bbq resturaunt. I seen builders in it doing it up its meant to be an oakwood smoked bbq resturaunt not sure tho.
    That place has a curse on it, nothing seems to last for very long there. Good luck to them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

P WE TON is very nice, got take away a few times and its been lovely, tastes quite authentic! try the pork dumplings ! there delecious!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,868 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Any reviews of P We Ton, the new Chinese on Quinnsboro Road? Unusual name, I think its a persons name, Cantonese probably.

Also, the new munch shop...its new management? I thought it used to be one of the molloys family running it before. Quite the family monopoly in Molloys/Liz-Annes/Munch. Unless Im wrong.

LizAnne runs LizAnnes
    A brother runs Molloys
    Another brother was running Munch
    Another brother was running the bakery shop at back of Molloys

I kind of feel sorry for them that Munch and the bakery closed. I dunno who runs the new place.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tomflynn

Thought I'd give this a bump up as a few businesses have (re)opened recently:
    Ardmore Bar recently purchased and reopened
    Shelby's now taken over and opened as Don Quixote
    Aldi open now aswell (since end of June)

However, seems to be a 1 or 2 other shops closed on main street the last month or so.

Separately, Ballymore (re: 'Florentine') recently got permission to knock the retained facade on the main street and replace it with a site hoarding. However, no sound or sign of real progress.

Finally, planning permission also very recently granted for a for new garden centre at Industrial Yarns (Lidl) in the field to the rear of the site (from my viewing of the plans on dlrcoco.ie). Again no sign of progress quite yet but hopefully a positive sign for a new business.

A few places never got much mention at all

The new Chinese supermarket opposite 02

The new womens clothes shop on Florence Road

The Bray Design Centre (in the old tourist office in front of the Royal Hotel) has all sorts of things; soaps, pottery, jewellery, woodwork, clothes

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

The Chinese place is the same one that was on the Albert walk, it just moved location I think. It's god value for buying spices and large quantities of rice and stuff anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

I noticed a new Cake Shop on the Florence Road. Don't know what it's like yet. It's right beside the Dargle Clinic where the hairdressers used to be.

There is also a new restaurant opened beside Duffs

Terry Pratchet

There is also a new restaurant opened beside Duffs
    Again? Seriously, those premises seem to have some kind of death curse on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Alun wrote: »
    Again? Seriously, those premises seem to have some kind of death curse on them.

Probably because it's a difficult area for parking? How many restaurants have now been in there and closed donw again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

I can think of 5 restaurants there, just a bad location, actually like cafe bar deli when it was there, but lasted no length.

I think their demise generally says a lot about the economy but more about the poor slapdash quality of restaurant start ups not just in bray:)

• Advertisement

I only went there once, back when it was a Greek/Mediterranean style restaurant, I can't remember the name.

I agree, it's not a great location and I think it's interior size works against it too. It doesn't look it from the front but inside it stretches back quite a long way, and I suspect any rent being asked for it reflects that potential seating capacity. Given this, the only way to attempt to make such a location pay is to pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap, but then, if you don't manage to do this, you end up with a limited number of punters rattling around in a big empty space, which won't do much for return custom either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

The Bridge Cafe on Castle Street. In a previous life it was a pub but can't remember what it was called.
    I haven't eaten there but I've had a look inside and it looks inviting and cosy.
    It's run by (as far as I know) some churches in Bray. Their FB page is interesting, they seem to have a social awareness and events to support this.

Edit: FB page for the Bridge http://www.facebook.com/TheBridgeCafeBar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

Used to be Kavanaghs, lovely pub, but great to see in put to good use:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

mt everest of kathmandu, actually very very nice, quality of food for the price is exceptional and they even ran the early bird for myself and the girlfriend even though we were 90 minutes over the early bird timeframe. I for one hope they break the curse.

Nepalese and Tibetan foods. Definitely interesting. Is it original or just some variation on the Chinese sweet and sour stuff?

Preusse wrote: »
    Nepalese and Tibetan foods. Definitely interesting. Is it original or just some variation on the Chinese sweet and sour stuff?
    Menu is here ...

http://www.menupages.ie/Wicklow/north_wicklow/bray/mt._everest_of_kathmandu/menu

Thanks Alun. I'll look forward trying some of these dishes. I suppose the Indian meals are a good idea to make sure there's something people know as well if they want to fall back on something more familiar.

I'll certainly be giving it a try in the next week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Anyone know if they do take-away/delivery? I've never eaten Nepalese food, it sounds lovely from the menu :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they do, they gave us a 10% discount and a takeaway menu with our bill. prices are quite reasonable in or around the bombay pantry takeaway prices.

Advertisement