Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in waterford city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭obi604

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Oh, good point that. Could be a rat's nest alright.
    Maybe move to another provider?
    Actually I just checked through my father's papers I moved him from eircom to sky BB.

Out of interest, is there extra hassle with Vodafone on this whole putting in a different name etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭CoBo55

obi604 wrote: »
    Out of interest, is there extra hassle with Vodafone on this whole putting in a different name etc?

I think killbill2 is right it could become an unholy mess and they'd end up being charged twice or something like that. Could you put it in your name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

This should be able to tell you if there's VDSL (FTTC) or full FTTH fibre available on either OpenEir or Siro, regardless of what ISP you use.

https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

You just need your eircode, which if you don't have just look on www.eircode.ie

Virgin's not a wholesale network so won't be listed.

This should be able to tell you if there's VDSL (FTTC) or full FTTH fibre available on either OpenEir or Siro, regardless of what ISP you use.

https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

You just need your eircode, which if you don't have just look on www.eircode.ie

Virgin's not a wholesale network so won't be listed.

Looks like I can get VDSL alright.

https://ibb.co/WWngWps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

I will say again the best thing to do for elderly people that don't use the internet to download massive games and stream video the whole time is to get a Gomo or 48 SIM and pay under €15 a month for 4G and I would say this will do just fine and if it does not work you are only out that €15 as you can cancel straight away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If you switch to another DSL provider you will likely have the same issues. Which is most likely an issue with the area rather than an individual issue.

Would not be the case with Virgin.

JPA wrote: »
    If you switch to another DSL provider you will likely have the same issues. Which is most likely an issue with the area rather than an individual issue.

At present it looks like it's an old fashioned ADSL connection, it's full copper back to the exchange. A new connection would be VDSL.

reni10 wrote: »
    I will say again the best thing to do for elderly people that don't use the internet to download massive games and stream video the whole time is to get a Gomo or 48 SIM and pay under €15 a month for 4G and I would say this will do just fine and if it does not work you are only out that €15 as you can cancel straight away!

I know from being in the house that I have never got 4G.
    Now I’m with Vodafone and there are different carriers, but does not bode well.

JPA wrote: »

I think this may be the crux of the whole situation.

I think this may be the crux of the whole situation.

No it isn't you need to be connected to the cabinet not the exchange. Have a look around and try to find the eir cabinet to judge what speed you'll get. If I put my eircode in the VF checker it tells me I'll get 80 meg which is the profile I was on, I got 65 consistently.

• Advertisement

I know for a fact that Vodafone coverage in ballinakill is woeful bit 48 and Gomo is much better there.
    I would recommend you try either

I know for a fact that Vodafone coverage in ballinakill is woeful bit 48 and Gomo is much better there.
    I would recommend you try either

I know for a fact too ;)

So how does this work, I order a 4G sim, then what?

I know for a fact too ;)

So how does this work, I order a 4G sim, then what?

Ideally, should I buy a specific 4G modem/router?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I’m on Gomo and when my dad was a patient in UHW I regularly got speeds of 150mb out there and in the general Dunmore Rd area, so I’d imagine Ballinakill area would be very good too.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I’m on Gomo and when my dad was a patient in UHW I regularly got speeds of 150mb out there and in the general Dunmore Rd area, so I’d imagine Ballinakill area would be very good too.

Nice one. For always at home use, would it be better to have a dedicated 4G modem/ router?

Nice one. For always at home use, would it be better to have a dedicated 4G modem/ router?

Yeah it would, just remember both 48 and GoMo aren’t unlimited data, they are 100gb and 120gb. Eir mobile do have a mobile offering which is €30 pm and has a cap of 750gb a month. They provide a modem with that package also

Yeah it would, just remember both 48 and GoMo aren’t unlimited data, they are 100gb and 120gb. Eir mobile do have a mobile offering which is €30 pm and has a cap of 750gb a month. They provide a modem with that package also

Thanks. I presume an elderly couple will get nowhere near this. Only kinda busy traffic would be when family visit every few weeks.

Is it best to go with an Eir type package?
    Or just buy a SIM and a 4G router?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08235ZNPV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_T4HZDMSY05Z2GH2PSS12?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You could use that 4G router and just leave the SIM in there and I would say it will be more than enough for elderly people and a large saving per month

If it’s mainly just for an elderly couple then the sim and a router would be the best option, GoMo €12.99 is finishing on the 8th April, probably will go to €15pm then, whereas 48 is still €10.99, so you’ll have to move quickly if you want to get in on the 12.99 for life plan.

If it’s mainly just for an elderly couple then the sim and a router would be the best option, GoMo €12.99 is finishing on the 8th April, probably will go to €15pm then, whereas 48 is still €10.99, so you’ll have to move quickly if you want to get in on the 12.99 for life plan.

Ah no rush on it. Thanks.
    Less than a cup of coffee a month ;) and I guess will work out way cheaper in the long run.

I’ll give it another bit to see if Vodafone do anything.

I’m Presuming if I cancel the broadband service with Vodafone and just use them for phone that the bill will for from 60 to maybe 30.

• Advertisement

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08235ZNPV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_T4HZDMSY05Z2GH2PSS12?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You could use that 4G router and just leave the SIM in there and I would say it will be more than enough for elderly people and a large saving per month

Nice

Any other router recommendations?

Edit: I’d be after one that offers good WiFi also.

I think it could be messy and not particularly cheap either going the mobile/ landline route. I'd try and get the VDSL sorted.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I think it could be messy and not particularly cheap either going the mobile/ landline route. I'd try and get the VDSL sorted.

Yeah. First option is VDSL with current provider Vodafone.
    2nd option is Virgin for phone, internet and tv (already with Virgin for tv)
    3rd option is the 4G router and SIM card.
    4th option is go with another provider for phone and internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Yeah. First option is VDSL with current provider Vodafone.
    2nd option is Virgin for phone, internet and tv (already with Virgin for tv)
    3rd option is the 4G router and SIM card.
    4th option is go with another provider for phone and internet.

I'm going to stop following this thread, no offence.

You have no clue about broadband provision but appear to be advising people.

Your ignorance seems to have increased the more information you're given.

You have been provided with relatively simple solutions multiple times on this thread and continue to ask questions that have been answered.

I would suggest that the allegedly clueless elderly folk would be better off dispensing with your sevices.

You have been provided with relatively simple solutions multiple times on this thread and continue to ask questions that have been answered.

I would suggest that the allegedly clueless elderly folk would be better off dispensing with your sevices.

Oh it’s happy go lucky, not a care in the world, happy Easter.

I’m just trying to help an elderly couple here, that is all. If you don’t have anything good to say, don't bother. Calling me more a less ignorant and clueless helps no one.

I have been kindly advised about different solutions and I am just listing a summary of these and the order of preference which I believe is the least intrusive.

Oh it’s happy go lucky, not a care in the world, happy Easter.

I’m just trying to help an elderly couple here, that is all. If you don’t have anything good to say, don't bother. Calling me more a less ignorant and clueless helps no one.

I have been kindly advised about different solutions and I am just listing a summary of these and the order of preference which I believe is the least intrusive.

The easiest by far is to get a 4G SIM card!
    You can order it online and it will be with you in a couple or days and you can try that in an old phone using the hotspot functionality on it!

It will cost you max €12.99 and no hassle and you can do it all yourself!

All your other options are hassle, will take much longer and will cost you much more!

If the 4G works you can purchase the 4G router and then from there the elderly people will have a very cheap service that should be more than enough for them.

This is now about the 5th time I have recommended this so just like the previous poster I won't be posting again as you don't seem to be taking it on board...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Brand Ambassador

Hi

Change your service from vodafone, I have never dealt with such inept, untrained individuals in my life.

They have cancelled my broadband service three times before I even got it installed.

The support team although very welcoming and well mannered, they are completely untrained in how to manage customers.

They are very good at putting you on hold.

Be prepared to loose hours of your life trying to deal with them.

STAY CLEAR OF VODAFONE

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tailend

HiSpeed Broadband are very helpful

Still haven't heard back from Vodafone on the fibre to the cabinet scenario.

Haven't been down to Waterford since so havent really chased up etc

Had a quick read back again through this thread, I got scolded in above for not following the 'simple solutions' but when you read back everyone has a solution so not sure which one is best due to al the different opinions

killbillvol2

Don't do this. You'll end up paying VF on the double and spend years sorting it out.

Either contact VF to sort out the current issues or change provider.

reni10

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08235ZN...ing=UTF8&psc=1

aquos 76

Wanderer78
    move providers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Wanderer78
    move providers

very happy with the current, have minor issues from time to time, but overall, very good service, and our traffic has just significantly increased, with no problems

Advertisement