Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some great Small men..

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Rosita

Torn to shreds?

I meant to say semi final in 2003 v Armagh. Corrected it with one word.

Hardly torn to shreds.

You are tearing your own argument to shreds with imagined memories. Kerry didn't play Armagh in the 2003 championship.

[QUOTE=thesultan;116497161

Regarding Canavan I actually think Stephen O'Neill had two or three years where he was even better..[/QUOTE]

That's probably true. Worth bearing in mind that Canavan was 32 when Tyrone won the 2003 All Ireland. His best years were probably when Tyrone were under the radar. O'Neill was a key man at that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

How great wa Fan Larkin when he came up against men like Ray Cummins?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Mike Frank Russell comes to mind.

Nice medal haul as well.

Mike Frank cant be classed as small surely? Must be close to 6ft. I had the misfortune to mark him for a lonely few minutes in a junior match and he was nearly on eye level with me and I'm a shade over 6ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Never marked him but he always came across as being a slight player at intercounty level. Maybe not in height but weight. He is listed on Google as being 4ft11!

Edit: Looking at pictures he is around the same height as Gooch who I know the any that small. Unfair to have him in the Small man category for sure. My bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Never marked him but he always came across as being a slight player at intercounty level. Maybe not in height but weight. He is listed on Google as being 4ft11!

Edit: Looking at pictures he is around the same height as Gooch who I know the any that small. Unfair to have him in the Small man category for sure. My bad.

Well whatever else he is definitely more than 4'11 :pac:

Never marked him but he always came across as being a slight player at intercounty level. Maybe not in height but weight.

That's one of the problems with this thread is that 'small' was never really defined except assumed to be below a certain (unspecified) height.

'Slightness' is a different measure altogether. Taking a rugby comparison for clarity - J Sexton is probably taller than Cian Healy but to describe him as a bigger man would be difficult with a straight face.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

dobman88 wrote: »
    Mike Frank cant be classed as small surely? Must be close to 6ft. I had the misfortune to mark him for a lonely few minutes in a junior match and he was nearly on eye level with me and I'm a shade over 6ft.

Appearances can be deceptive,pre viewing Mike Frank up close in the flesh in an All Ireland final I always thought he was on the smallish and slight in build.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Re Gooch and Canavan,2 of the greatest ever who in their pomp were the utmost pleasure to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

One that springs to mind is Rory McCarthy of St.Martin's and Wexford.

The most skillful hurler I have seen represent Wexford in my lifetime, and played in every outfield line apart from full-back for his county.

He thought me in school too, so I can confirm that he wasn't the tallest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

There can't have been many smaller than the current Cavan manager Mickey Graham who played corner forward for Cavan in the nineties.

John Brady from Laragh in Cavan who played in the full forward line for Cavan in the late eighties was very small and slight but a super footballer.
    He played on the O Donovan Rossa team who won their first Cork football championship in 1992 and won the all Ireland club final the same year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

Liam Dunne, Wexford. Superb centre back and wing-back for a small man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

James McCartan is another of the great small men group.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Podge. not great but small
    R. Hogan
    It's tough with the '& Tommy's not small' limitation. Every one I think of I keep comparing to Tommy. lol.

Been away from the forums for ages. Hope everyone is well.

I'm 5'3" w/shoes on a good day. I'm loving the thread.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭conor05

Des Mythen from the famous hurling club Oulart the Ballagh and hurled with Wexford.

Saw him on tv a few times and he could make a ball talk. Unlucky with injuries. I'd say he was around 5 foot 5.

Shane Conway from Kerry and UCC seems a very small light hurler but again a brilliant stick man.

Advertisement