Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some great Small men..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,965 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Jason Sherlock is down as 5'8. You'd put two of him in to that jersey.

1377559.jpg

I see him in the gym, 5’8 isn’t a typo believe me. That said, he looks no different than he did back in the day playing, in great shape...

Bumped into Eoin Murchan a few times too... 5’7.. unusually small for a corner back..

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Thanks for correcting me again.
    That mistake was accepted and corrected earlier in the discussion but thanks never the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Colm Boyle, small but absolutely fearless.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭KIB4Life

Ross Munnelly, brilliant player. Not sure what height he is must be about 5”7 or 8 fairly small but still going fairly strong and is the only player outside of Dublin that is still playing that has a Leinster medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Declan Meehan, Caltra and Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mooz

Charlie Carter, class hurler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

Martin McHugh another great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

thesultan wrote: »
    Martin McHugh another great.

Has the great/saucy ‘Silvie Lenane’ of Galway 1980’s team got a mention yet...?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Strumms wrote: »
    I see him in the gym, 5’8 isn’t a typo believe me. That said, he looks no different than he did back in the day playing, in great shape...

Bumped into Eoin Murchan a few times too... 5’7.. unusually small for a corner back..

For a modern full back 5'7 dwarf like. He looks like a scale model of Fenton. :D

gall9.jpg

No disrespect to the great Gaelic short arses of former eras, but its nearly impossible now at inter county level in either code for the shorter gent to get a look in. Fair dues to those that do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Bambi wrote: »
    For a modern full back 5'7 dwarf like. He looks like a scale model of Fenton. :D

gall9.jpg

No disrespect to the great Gaelic short arses of former eras, but its nearly impossible now at inter county level in either code for the shorter gent to get a look in. Fair dues to those that do

He could line out in Feile and you wouldn't challenge it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Bgiraffe

Mark Bradley of Tyrone is 5ft 6. James Conlon in Meath can't be a whole pile taller, a la Bernie Flynn. Notable smallies: Darran O'Sullivan, Noel Connors, Donie Brennan Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Peter Canavan aka GOD Peter the Great. The best there ever was.

1995 joke in lead up to Tyrone Dublin AIF - “ What's the difference between Peter Canavan and a black taxi? A black taxi only carries seven.”

10 years on 2005, Canavan was still producing magic, scoring a goal and producing a masterclass at the end of his career to beat Kerry in AIF. A lad named Gooch Cooper was in Ryan McMenamin’s back pocket that day. He was no Canavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

How tall is Pat Fox?

I always pictured him as a little barrel of a fella. Maybe I'm misremembering?

1995 joke in lead up to Tyrone Dublin AIF - “ What's the difference between Peter Canavan and a black taxi? A black taxi only carries seven.”

10 years on 2005, Canavan was still producing magic, scoring a goal and producing a masterclass at the end of his career to beat Kerry in AIF. A lad named Gooch Cooper was in Ryan McMenamin’s back pocket that day. He was no Canavan.

In his pocket after scoring four points off him..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭Rosita

Billy Mays wrote: »
    How tall is Pat Fox?

I always pictured him as a little barrel of a fella. Maybe I'm misremembering?

2026331_7_articlelarge_inpho_00021823.jpg

You are not in the first flush of youth if you remember this guy, but just for the purposes of the barrel comparison here's a picture. Not sure how tall your barrel is though.

In his pocket after scoring four points off him..

2002 final- good 1st half, anonymous second half.

2002 final - completely anonymous.

Good first 10 mins in 2005, after that, anonymous, go and watch it. You can “4 points” all you want.

2008 - anonymous. Zero impact

2011 v Dublin, again, zero.

The years he had a good day when it mattered, you were crushing Mayo and cork teams that shouldn’t have been there.

Colm was a sublime footballer, as good as any forward in Ireland on his day, but was he a leader or warrior type that changed games when Kerry needed him? No.

If I recall correctly in one of his last finals v Dublin he was out scored by his marker McMahon (whom I have zero love for on field, but a great guy off of it).

2003 final - completely anonymous.

Good first 10 mins in 2005, after that, anonymous, go and watch it. You can “4 points” all you want.

The years he had a good day when it mattered, you were crushing Mayo and cork teams that shouldn’t have been there.

Colm was a sublime footballer, as good as any forward in Ireland on his day, but was he a leader or warrior type that changed games when Kerry needed him? No.

If I recall correctly in one of his last finals v Dublin he was out scored by his marker McMahon (whom I have zero love for on field, but a great guy off of it).

To give Cooper his due it'd have been hard for him not to be anonymous in the 2003 final since it was Tyrone v Armagh. It's no wonder that that's the day his anonymity was complete.

And he was the top scorer from play in the 2011 final when he scored as much from play as Dublin's entire starting forward line. To say he had zero impact is odd. He was also Kerry's top scorer from play in the 2008 final. Your argument is being diluted by exaggeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Canavan was a fine footballer, you can say that without dissing the Gooch, one of the finest to grace a football pitch. If I had to choose, the Gooch would get the nod.

2003 final - completely anonymous.

He scored four points off him whatever way you watch it at least two were brilliant scores out on the sideline. He added another in the second after his was eye gauged as a means to stop him..

2003 final he had a quiet day as he was probably watching it at home as it was an all ulster final..
    I was wrong on my 05 final as he got 5 points four from play.
    Got 6 with 3 from play in 08..
    Did he not get a goal in 11?

So you pillaring him is because mcmahon got the better of him in a final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Can't believe no mention of Ogie Moran yet? Played in 10 All Ireland finals, won 8 All Ireland medals - all in same position centre forward.

Can't believe no mention of Ogie Moran yet? Played in 10 All Ireland finals, won 8 All Ireland medals - all in same position centre forward.

Was he small?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Was he small?

No more than 5'8 I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

1401026_1_articlelarge_ie-342813_b39c5be1bf1447d28c82e9f25bb3e41a.jpg

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Colm Boyle . the warrior form davits is only 5 ft 9 in height

has 4 all-stars never let the club or county down

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Mike Frank Russell comes to mind.

Nice medal haul as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭billyhead

David dottsy O'Callaghan would be around 5ft 7 or 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭flasher0030

2003 semi final - completely anonymous.

Cooper over Canavan all day long. Canavan was good, but he didn't quite have the extraordinary skills of Gooch. Your post was torn to shreads. And you also didn't mention the 2013 semi-final against Dublin - when Gooch put in one of the standout performances ever to grace Croke Park.

And you cannot just dismiss a forward scoring 4 points off a quality, albeit cynical corner back. If each of the 6 forwards scored 4 points in a game, it would see off 99% of matches.

Canavan was at his peak a brilliant footballer but he seems to be judged by different criteria to Cooper. The whole 'warrior' thing seems to be big in assessments of Canavan but that's a little abstract.

There was a lot made of his being taken off in the 2003 final and brought back on as if he was such a key man and won it for them. But what you heard less often is that he failed to score from play in the match. Hard to imagine that Cooper would be let away with that as a significant career moment. Likewise Cooper's pass for Dara Ó Cinnéide's goal in that 2005 final would probably be better remembered if Canavan had done it.

Cooper over Canavan all day long. Canavan was good, but he didn't quite have the extraordinary skills of Gooch. Your post was torn to shreads. And you also didn't mention the 2013 semi-final against Dublin - when Gooch put in one of the standout performances ever to grace Croke Park.

And you cannot just dismiss a forward scoring 4 points off a quality, albeit cynical corner back. If each of the 6 forwards scored 4 points in a game, it would see off 99% of matches.

Torn to shreds?

I meant to say final in 2002 v Armagh. Corrected it with one word.

Hardly torn to shreds.

Opinions are opinions - mine is mine and the Kerry / southern bias will back cooper. Because they do not like Ulster teams bringing Sam up the road. That’s fine, cooper opinion goes down ok with me too. I’m happy enough with that.

But I stand by my Canavan was better statement.

Calm down

• Advertisement

Both were great players I don't feel there is a need to knock Cooper like Brolly and mchugh did without much evidence. Brolly especially after he did his knee in the club semi.

Regarding Canavan I actually think Stephen O'Neill had two or three years where he was even better..

Advertisement