Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Cartman78 wrote: »
    "Wind of Change" - a long winded but entertaining investigation into a theory that the CIA may have written the Scorpions hit song back in the 80's
    Really enjoyed this, although I would be a Sovietophile. A cool delve into a really fascinating rumour/conspiracy theory/story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Travels Through Time. Each episode is an interview with an expert who chooses a year they'd like to be in and then descibes three "scenes" from that year. It really brings things to life and they have a wide range of years and settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Out of the Blue

Swindled a podcast about fraud and conmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Turtle001

I may be stating the obvious here but I'm really enjoying listening to Desert Island Discs from the BBC. It's been going for years and the interviews are of really good quality. Some of the episodes I listened to:
    Tom Hanks
    Michael Caine
    Christy Moore
    Gary Kasparov
    Bruce Springsteen

The music choices are quite interesting too.

Gunplot from RTE, Doc on One about the Arms Crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Swindled a podcast about fraud and conmen.

The Cryptoqueen podcast is amazing. I find it so interesting. Like a female catch me if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Just finished West Cork i thought it was very good ,
    Strangely Ian is very easy to listen to ,

Is there any recommendations for something similar doesn't have to be in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Is there any recommendations for something similar doesn't have to be in Ireland ?

I enjoyed Serial - season 1

"It's Baltimore, 1999. Hae Min Lee, a popular high-school senior, disappears after school one day. Six weeks later detectives arrest her classmate and ex-boyfriend, Adnan Syed, for her murder. He says he's innocent - though he can't exactly remember what he was doing on that January afternoon. But someone can. A classmate at Woodlawn High School says she knows where Adnan was. The trouble is, she’s nowhere to be found."

https://serialpodcast.org/season-one

I enjoyed Serial - season 1

"It's Baltimore, 1999. Hae Min Lee, a popular high-school senior, disappears after school one day. Six weeks later detectives arrest her classmate and ex-boyfriend, Adnan Syed, for her murder. He says he's innocent - though he can't exactly remember what he was doing on that January afternoon. But someone can. A classmate at Woodlawn High School says she knows where Adnan was. The trouble is, she’s nowhere to be found."

https://serialpodcast.org/season-one

Nice recommendation but i actually only listened to that last summer,

Its very good ,

S Town is good, although its about 4 years old now.

• Advertisement

S Town is good, although its about 4 years old now.

I'll give it a go thanks

I'll give it a go thanks

great one for the car for a journey or a walk to get lost in it

not one to be half-listening to or you are more likely not to get it.

completely unique story and in terms of the way that the whole thing unfolded

it's one that's more about the experience of it first and foremost

not to everyone's taste but a truly legendary podcast.

the fact that it's 4 years old doesn't have any impact on the story really.

just go straight in - don't google anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

S town

Edit: Just saw it was mentioned already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

'Answer me this' - a podcast where people send in questions, and the three hosts look up the answers. Reminiscent of 'Fix it Friday' on the old Ray d'Arcy show, before Ray got all grumpy.

Very funny - been on the go 13 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭shortlegs

The Futility Closet. A husband and wife team who describe it as “ a weekly show featuring forgotten stories from the pages of history. Join us each Monday for surprising and curious tales from the past and to challenge yourself with our lateral thinking puzzles.“

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

You could try Lost in Larrimah. It’s about an Irish guy who went missing in the Northern Territory in Australia. Or Teacher’s Pet but you probably know that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

The Cryptoqueen podcast is amazing. I find it so interesting. Like a female catch me if you can.

Started this the other day on a two hour drive, its really good, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Damn Interesting infrequent but always good.
    Swindled is also excellent. I like the format short intro story followed by a longer main event.
    Mens Rea is really excellent.
    Rusty Hinges
    50000 Htz
    99%invisible
    scienceVs
    Criminal
    In general I dont like the jokey/chatty two-handed style of podcast.
    I find some of the Irish podcasts to be over long and over produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭dball

who killed Emma, on bbc sounds
    6 or 7 relatively short episodes, about a prostitute murder in Scotland about 20 yrs ago.
    7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

Against the odds" its a wondery podcast so usually very good. I'm listening to the latest episodes on john mccain prisoner of war. About his struggles after being shot down and captured during Vietnam War. Interesting so far.

• Advertisement

the wondery podcasts started off ok but now they have so many out and the structure formula is so similar for no matter what the subject is that they end up being not that distinctive.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

I found this more of like listening to a movie in parts. Just grabbed my attention. I get what you mean though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

There are a few Irish ones that I really like:
    Tell Me a Story, by Eddie Lenihan. About old Irish myths and folktales. Eddie Lenihan is the fella who got the motorway diverted around a fairy white thorn bush in Co Clare.

Irish History Podcase, by Finn Dwyre. Detailed Irish history events starting with country pre viking invasion.

Americast by the BBC duo Jon Sople and Emily Maitlis. Weekly rundown of the highlight sin American politics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Turtle001 wrote: »
    I may be stating the obvious here but I'm really enjoying listening to Desert Island Discs from the BBC. It's been going for years and the interviews are of really good quality. Some of the episodes I listened to:
    Tom Hanks
    Michael Caine
    Christy Moore
    Gary Kasparov
    Bruce Springsteen

There is a programme on BBC radio 3,Sunday,Midday, Private Passions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hey folks,

Years in the planning, and after months of interviews and editing, I'm delighted to announce the launch of the Marketing for Consultants Podcast:
    The podcast that helps independent consultants & subject matter experts to get more clients without having to beg for referrals, or make soul-destroying cold calls!

Here's a snippet:

Podcast-Quote-Jonathan-Stark-sm.jpg

It's live now, with 8 episodes available immediately, and a new one coming every Monday morning.

I realise it's a bit niche for most folks here, but if you do give it a listen, all feedback and suggestions for improvement would be very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

'The Rest is History' features Tom Holland, the classical historian ('Persian Fire', 'Rubicon'), and Dominic Sandbrook, a modern historian.

The podcast is often quite British in focus, but they are both very knowledgeable and interesting. Podcast is kind of free-form - sometimes they have a guest, sometimes they take questions from listeners. Sometimes the topic is really narrow ('1981'), sometimes very broad ('Persia').

Very easy to listen to.

I see that 'Real Dictators' has a new series hot off the presses - the first episode is on Franco.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    'The Rest is History' features Tom Holland, the classical historian ('Persian Fire', 'Rubicon'), and Dominic Sandbrook, a modern historian.

The podcast is often quite British in focus, but they are both very knowledgeable and interesting. Podcast is kind of free-form - sometimes they have a guest, sometimes they take questions from listeners. Sometimes the topic is really narrow ('1981'), sometimes very broad ('Persia').

Very easy to listen to.

I see that 'Real Dictators' has a new series hot off the presses - the first episode is on Franco.

I was just about to come in here to recommend The Rest is History. I normally don't like the dual presenter format, especially if it's two Americans guffawing at their own desperately unfunny jokes, but these two very English historians are highly enjoyable to listen to. It's very entertaining, and they can be funny without trying too hard.

Between 40 minutes and an hour, and with a very wide range of topics. It's pop history, and I'm really enjoying catching up with the older episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Slideways

El Tarangu wrote: »

Thanks so much for the reminder. I had somehow unsubscribed after listen to the first season. Binged on season 2 to catch up yesterday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have been dipping in and out of the Louis theroux podcast, but really enjoyed most of them, particularly the Ruby Wax one, oh and the Chris O Dowd one as well

• Advertisement

Currently trying to listen to The Teachers pet its very drawn out for me,
    Its getting to the stage I just want it to be over ,

Advertisement