Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Asmooh wrote: »
    My problem is that my job doesnt want to pay to non Irish accounts.

My job would never have done anything even vaguely unusual, but they outsourced payroll at the start of the year and they've let me do odd things like split my pay between more than one bank account. I'd imagine they wouldn't care what SEPA bank account my salary goes to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Surely you're just providing an account number and sort code - they should never even know they are sending a salary to a non-domiciled account?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Surely you're just providing an account number and sort code - they should never even know they are sending a salary to a non-domiciled account?

Right now you still can make transfers with account number and sort code but as of 1 February 2016 it's IBAN all the way, so as of that date they can't have any excuse anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Your employer is acting illegally. They cannot refuse payment to a EUR SEPA account. Please report them to the Central Bank of Ireland who are the competent authority of REGULATION (EU) No 260/2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

I asked, they wont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Open a FREE savings demand account with a Irish Bank for your salary and then transfer your salary over to Number 26. Also if you get any cheques you will be able to lodge them to Irish Bank and again transfer the money to Number 26 if you wish.
    Just speaking of cheques (as they are annoyingly still quite popular in Ireland)...DKB charges a hefty processing fee for lodging an Irish cheque (German cheques, though rare, have no handling fee attached). This is because SEPA does not apply to cheques and banks are free to gouge there if they like (to be fair, the overhead in handling cross border cheques is large for the bank, having to send the thing back to the country of origin to draw the funds from the foreign account).

So....I would expect Number26 have similar high fees for cheque processing....this could be a deal breaker for some (poor unfortunate) who regularly gets cheques handed to them.

The IBAN kind of gives the game away when it doesn't begin with IE. Still a balls and no reason for it except laziness on behalf of the employer. From 2016 they will have to use the IBAN even for domestic payments so "the payroll software can't do it" won't even be an excuse then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to open an account today. There is an option for a voucher code on the initial sign-up screen. Anyone have a code?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to open an account today. There is an option for a voucher code on the initial sign-up screen. Anyone have a code?

Cheers

I looked at that when I signed up. It seems it was for an Invitation code that was needed initally for new customer to sign up.
    There's invite codes on this site, but I don't think you need them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

Few questions, I need a joint bank account to pay bills/groceries, some of these bills are direct debits (Virgin Media, TV licence.....), My current Irish bank is charging me way too much and I am looking for a cheaper alternative, is this bank the best that I can find or is there another alternative? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

alwald wrote: »
    Few questions, I need a joint bank account to pay bills/groceries, some of these bills are direct debits (Virgin Media, TV licence.....), My current Irish bank is charging me way too much and I am looking for a cheaper alternative, is this bank the best that I can find or is there another alternative? Thanks.

EBS MoneyManager account has no charges for most basic transactions, excpt ATM withdrawals (which you can get free if you deposit €750 a month) and has no maintenance fees either. You can get around the ATM fees by using cashback with the supplied MasterCard debit card.

Having both this account and a Number26 account would give you pretty good flexibility and not cost you a cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

€750 per month is wrong - see below for EBS MoneyManager Account.

"Customers can get 5 free withdrawals each month by ATM or in branch (cash or cheque) if either at least €1,500 is lodged to the account each month, either in one lump sum or in instalments or a minimum balance of €500 is maintained in the account each month."

EBS Limited does not issue chequebooks to customers.

The EBS Debit Card comes with:

Free cash-back facility
    Free electronic transfers
    Free online purchases

My 2nd best choice to PTSB for Irish Current Account - avoid KBC,BOI,AIB,Ulster.

PTSB Debit Card Transaction - €1,500 per transaction (max of €2,500 within a 24 hour period)

Yggr of Asgard - is this €4,000 for Number 26 Card because if so this is a huge advantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

My 2nd best choice to PTSB for Irish Current Account - avoid KBC,BOI,AIB,Ulster.

Agree with Permo for the best Irish current account deal. I would put the new KBC Extra current account, which has no fees, provided you deposit at least 2,500 EUR per month, and a 4.00% regular saver attached to it in second place. EBS third.

Avoid AIB, BoI and Ulster Bank current account products.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Nice to see them entering Ireland.

For those of you in Germany, i was looking into opening an account with them a while back, but the fact that it only came with a MasterCard credit card, and I saw nothing about EC card, this put me off. Is this still the situation, 99% of the places where I use my EC card don't take credit card or require a minimum spend before you can use one. It would be hard/impossible to operate without EC card here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

So what would be the best bank if I deposit less than 1,200 EUR each month mainly to pay few bills, purchase groceries and make the odd online payment here and there, no withdrawals are required at all, I am looking for the cheapest bank in terms of fees, online banking is a must, cheers.

jester77 wrote: »

For those of you in Germany, i was looking into opening an account with them a while back, but the fact that it only came with a MasterCard credit card, and I saw nothing about EC card, this put me off. Is this still the situation, 99% of the places where I use my EC card don't take credit card or require a minimum spend before you can use one. It would be hard/impossible to operate without EC card here.
    According to their FAQ they sill offer no EC (Debit) card but are "working hard on getting one with Maestro":
    Mit der NUMBER26 MasterCard® kannst du überall bezahlen, wo MasterCard akzeptiert wird. Aufgrund großer Nachfrage arbeiten wir bereits intensiv daran, eine Karte mit Maestro Funktion anzubieten.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

murphaph wrote: »
    According to their FAQ they sill offer no EC (Debit) card but are "working hard on getting one with Maestro":

Cheers, they really need to sort that out. You can't really function here without an EC card unless you just deal in cash, which I'm not a fan of.

alwald wrote: »
    So what would be the best bank if I deposit less than 1,200 EUR each month mainly to pay few bills, purchase groceries and make the odd online payment here and there, no withdrawals are required at all, I am looking for the cheapest bank in terms of fees, online banking is a must, cheers.

Apart from Number26 which is a complete no-brainer, then EBS all the way if you can't lodge €1500 a month. Make no ATM withdrawals and you incur no fees. Get a Revolut card and use that for any ATM withdrawals.

JTMan wrote: »
    Agree with Permo for the best Irish current account deal. I would put the new KBC Extra current account, which has no fees, provided you deposit at least 2,500 EUR per month, and a 4.00% regular saver attached to it in second place. EBS third.

Avoid AIB, BoI and Ulster Bank current account products.

All very good for those that can meet the required monthly lodgements. For those that can't, EBS is the best Irish option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

Quackster wrote: »
    All very good for those that can meet the required monthly lodgements. For those that can't, EBS is the best Irish option.

Not only that but the EBS card charges the smallest forex commission, abeit with a 30c minimum, 1% vs 2.25-2.5% for other banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

About EBS, what are there privacy rules? Will the just give your information to any government company that requesting it? Will they track and save what you do? What is the police is requesting information for whatever reason. Will Irish banks just give it without even asking why?

PTSB Debit Card Transaction - €1,500 per transaction (max of €2,500 within a 24 hour period)

Yggr of Asgard - is this €4,000 for Number 26 Card because if so this is a huge advantage?

https://number26.eu/support/limits-number26/

In my opinion the limits of number26 are a dis-advantage as the in-store and online limits are per month.

PTSB is having higher limits in a month. Just lower limits in a 24 hour period but the monthly limit is higher.

It really depends on how much spending you want to do in the combination of cash/online/store.

jester77 wrote: »

If you live in Germany, why not look at some other products like Fidor which offer similar advantages and also have a EC card. And if you have a good Schufa you might even get the Smartcard. No fees either, no foreign currency fee and you even get interest on your account balance.

I wish they would accept international customers.

Looks like earlier adapters problems, just got this:
    Due to technical reasons we need to reset your PIN in order for your MasterCard to function optimally. Please login into the App or follow direclty the link and set up your new MasterCard PIN.
    Once you receive your MasterCard remember to withdraw money on any ATM so your card becomes fully active.
    We apoligise for the inconvinience. If you have any more questions do not hesitate to contact our Customer Support.

First I thought it was a phishing attempt giving the spelling errors and it coming from mail90.suw13.rsgsv.net but once I opened the App I was told that I need to add a PIN for Mastercard and for transfer.

Looks like they had technical issues last week when I opened the account.

They shouldn't be providing direct links in emails in which you are invited to change PIN. It's setting customers up for future phishing attacks as they will be used to this (strange) behaviour.

"We apoligise"...

Their spelling reminds me of a penpal (email pal) I used to have and lost contact with. His father was the King of Nigeria, coincidentally he was also looking for a bank account. I wonder if he's still around..

Some more info in a nutshell here - https://www.deutscheskonto.org/en/n26-account-facts/

That website deutscheskonto has some great info.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

Got my card today. It's mostly transparent. Looks cool. The IBAN and the BIC are printed on the card which is handy.

• Advertisement

elmoslats wrote: »
    Got my card today. It's mostly transparent. Looks cool. The IBAN and the BIC are printed on the card which is handy.

Got mine too. :)

Advertisement