Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna Fail on 14%

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

ittakestwo wrote: »
    FF TD out saying that PS have to get a pay increase at the end of the year due to the big effort they made during Covid-19.

We know they destroyed the country leaving us in an IMF bailout but you would think they would have learned a lesson and gone away from the goodies for all method they have.

How can they pay for this increase if its inevitable we will be left with a massive bill from covid-19 and a load of private sector jobs destroyed. The lucky people who dont lose their jobs from covid-19 in the private sector even if they do have to take a pay cut will have to be hit with higher taxes because FF want to increase PS pay. This all going on while in the background we still have a housing crises that will take billions to fix.

Any link to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

atticu wrote: »
    I never used the word unity.

So, there is no difference.

I can just as well ask how is Leo preventing a government being formed?

Too late to try and backtrack now I'm afraid - you have proven that you either do not understand the difference in a coalition govt, and a National one, or once again have failed to read a post properly.

Look it, I waste time enough going through hoops with yourself, in this instance you have quite clearly jumped in with your two feet with little to no foresight or research done in your rush to try and get a point scored.

Will you admit you were wrong? Of course not, but I don't need you to regardless.

I've seen some lame excuses in my time but the above bolded piece of text is up there with the best of them.

You just quoted me in full mentioning the national government of unity,
    McMurphy wrote:
    Meanwhile, a national government of unity is being prevented by Leo
    replied asking
    Can you explain how Leo is preventing a national government from being formed, please
    and now saying you "didn't say unity", which regardless then meant you were asking me for an example of something I wasn't even talking about. :D

As before - start posting cat meme's, I'll skim past your future posts as quickly as I do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Are you serious?

Not sure what you mean.... The Irish Examiner not an accurate source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭atticu

McMurphy wrote: »
    Too late to try and backtrack now I'm afraid - you have proven that you either do not understand the difference in a coalition govt, and a National one, or once again have failed to read a post properly.

Look it, I waste time enough going through hoops with yourself, in this instance you have quite clearly jumped in with your two feet with little to no foresight or research done in your rush to try and get a point scored.

Will you admit you were wrong? Of course not, but I don't need you to regardless.

I've seen some lame excuses in my time but the above bolded piece of text is up there with the best of them.

You just quoted me in full mentioning the national government of unity, replied asking and now saying you "didn't say unity", which regardless then meant you were asking me for an example of something I wasn't even talking about. :D

As before - start posting cat meme's, I'll skim past your future posts as quickly as I do them.

I accept that you did not read my post.

You ever quote me and still get it wrong.

No use trying to discuss things with posters who don’t read posts.

Please stop trying to put words in my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,238 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes. A government with a Taoiseach nobody wants, a party that, by their own admission, lost the election and the greens who, lets face it, are the only other party willing to do business with FG.

This government has a questionable mandate. An issue that has been called out by members of each of the parties involved.

No one in this country voted for a FG/FF government.

And I’m not a Shinner.

How can a government with a stable majority have a questionable mandate?

Silly nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

No one is suggesting a government can't be formed without FG..

Leo is preventing a national government of unity taking place..

...Leo is preventing it (as already mentioned).

All in the same post. Brilliant.

You admitted yourself, a government doesn't need Leo nor FG, so if the other 8 parties or groupings want to form a government, then off with them. Nothing big bad Leo can do about it.

I do not know why we are even talking about a Unity government today in May. The idea was floated briefly by the Greens in March and no one including SF took a bite (despite what MLM said about her being 'perhaps interested' in the idea way back then)

At this stage, continued talk about a unity government is bordering on a Conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

atticu wrote: »
    FG said that they would not go into government with SF before the elections.
    A lot of people probably voted for them because of this.
    Now you want them to go against this, and you are saying that it is Leo’s fault, and he is selfish.

The same can be said for SF taking their seats in Westminister.

When the Brexit crisis was hitting its zenith, there was a lot of people calling for SF to take their seats and actually give NI a Pro-Remain voice, except SF constantly refused.

Their counterpoint was that the people who voted for them in the Westminister elections knew and understood that they would NOT be taking their seats, thus to abide by their wants of the electorate they would refuse point blank to take up those seats.

Now, though it seems the same people who used the above arguments are doing an about-face when it comes to FG or FF refusing to talk to SF.

One cannot square that circle.

If FG and FG should just give up their electoral pledge, why don't or didn't SF give up their Westminister electoral pledge last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

markodaly wrote: »
    The same can be said for SF taking their seats in Westminister.

When the Brexit crisis was hitting its zenith, there was a lot of people calling for SF to take their seats and actually give NI a Pro-Remain voice, except SF constantly refused.

Their counterpoint was that the people who voted for them in the Westminister elections knew and understood that they would NOT be taking their seats, thus to abide by their wants of the electorate they would refuse point blank to take up those seats.

Now, though it seems the same people who used the above arguments are doing an about-face when it comes to FG or FF refusing to talk to SF.

One cannot square that circle.

If FG and FG should just give up their electoral pledge, why don't or didn't SF give up their Westminister electoral pledge last year?

We're FG and FF not the ones leading those calls last year. There will be other election pledges given up in the government negotiations as always otherwise we'd never have a government except by 1 party majority.

• Advertisement

Why is it constantly going back to a conversation about SF in government?

Have we not gone over this enough on every thread? No party in Ireland are in agreement with SF to form a government. None. If we are talking about SF then why not have the same conversation about PBP or some of the other randomers?

Maybe discuss SF when they have even 1 other party agreed to be part of the government with them

You just quoted me in full mentioning the national government of unity, replied asking and now saying you "didn't say unity", which regardless then meant you were asking me for an example of something I wasn't even talking about. :D

"A national government of unity" - just what is that? Like what's the point, what's the use?

It is just a soundbite to suggest that Leo or FG or whoever are preventing the formation of something that is useless, pointless and won't get anything done. Apart from Eamon Ryan (who got this one wrong and has now corrected his course, well done) and Mary-Lou and a few fringe politicians, who wants this, and why?

Even if it is a good idea, couldn't they form it without FG? After all, 125 is as close to a national government as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

FG 35 -
    SF 27 -
    FF 15 +1
    GP 5 -1
    SD 4 +1
    LAB 3 -

Not much change in 1 month. FF won't be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

FG 35 -
    SF 27 -
    FF 15 +1
    GP 5 -1
    SD 4 +1
    LAB 3 -

How Sinn Fein can be on 27 after being utterly silent for the majority of Covid-19 pandemic is astounding.

They proved that they do not have the political will or knowledge to lead and one can only imagine how things might have gone had Mary-Lou been able to form a left government in February.

Personally I think after Covid a budget should be passed and Dail dissolved so the country can go to the polls again. May end up the same fractured system but the country (and the world) have significantly different challenges ahead that we didn't have to consider in January

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

FG 35 -
    SF 27 -
    FF 15 +1
    GP 5 -1
    SD 4 +1
    LAB 3 -

FG are at least 5% more than represented on that poll. Easily. The country is fúcked for at least the next 10 years. We need FG to sort it out. That's what the party has always had to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

FG should just go to the electorate once again and capitalise on this. On 35% that's 70 odd seats. Thrown in a few rural independents, or FF (seeing as they seem to be absolutely desperate to get into power), and we'd have a solid majority Government. We might actually get grown ups in power for a few years, who won't pander to every vested interest while the difficult but necessary decisions are made (we've already seen all the nonsense about keeping the €350 Covid payment till Christmas, it simply has to go once we're at phase 5 in the re-opening plan unless we want to bankrupt the country and become like Greece), and won't destroy the lives of the 2/3rds of people who don't live in the Pale with crackpot anti-car and anti-roads Green nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

FG 35 -
    SF 27 -
    FF 15 +1
    GP 5 -1
    SD 4 +1
    LAB 3 -

Mad to get a coalition done they are.
    They can't go back to the electorate on them figures.
    MM as a rotating Taoiseach will be a massive, achievement now if FG agree to that.
    Election soon odds must be increasing now going on these figures, FG hardliners might just want it more than a coalition with FF?

Mad to get a coalition done they are.
    They can't go back to the electorate on them figures.
    MM as a rotating Taoiseach will be a massive, achievement now if FG agree to that.
    Election soon odds must be increasing now going on these figures, FG hardliners might just want it more than a coalition with FF?

I cant see,how they can hold an election campaign in a coronavirus climate.....any uptick and the whole country will be a clusterfcuk of people not allowed travel to vote,allowed to canvass,and risk of infection spreading is massive in voting boothes etc,unless wiped down after everyone

(Even one infected voting officer could spread carnage on handing out ballot papers?)

Id be very suprised if any coalition lasted 2 budgets with em though

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

FG should just go to the electorate once again and capitalise on this. On 35% that's 70 odd seats. Thrown in a few rural independents, or FF (seeing as they seem to be absolutely desperate to get into power), and we'd have a solid majority Government. We might actually get grown ups in power for a few years, who won't pander to every vested interest while the difficult but necessary decisions are made (we've already seen all the nonsense about keeping the €350 Covid payment till Christmas, it simply has to go once we're at phase 5 in the re-opening plan unless we want to bankrupt the country and become like Greece), and won't destroy the lives of the 2/3rds of people who don't live in the Pale with crackpot anti-car and anti-roads Green nonsense.

Yup, because less money in the economy is a good thing, people can use this less money to buy stuff, oh wait.....

I cant see,how they can hold an election campaign in a coronavirus climate.....any uptick and the whole country will be a clusterfcuk of people not allowed travel to vote,allowed to canvass,and risk of infection spreading is massive in voting boothes etc,unless wiped down after everyone

(Even one infected voting officer could spread carnage on handing out ballot papers?)

You're probably right.
    FG would be depending on the older vote too perhaps, a lot of them might just be afraid of attending polling stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

John McGuinness FF TD speaking on Newstalk just now suggesting FF members could reject the program for government. Also blames FG for trying to collapse the talks. Wants clarity on what it will mean for farmers and the tourism industry.

Didn't exactly row in behind the FF negotiators and leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

John McGuinness FF TD speaking on Newstalk just now suggesting FF members could reject the program for government. Also blames FG for trying to collapse the talks. Wants clarity on what it will mean for farmers and the tourism industry.

As tempting and all as it is, I wouldn't get too worked up about anything John McGuinness has to say. He's always been against Mícheál Martin, and similarly Ó Cuív wouldn't be noted for his loyalty to the leader either. I'm not sure how reflective either are of the FF Grassroots. In saying that, I know there is plenty of opposition to coalescing with FG, but it must be pointed out that in certain parts of the country, there ain't much love for the idea in FG either (such as Mayo and Cork).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

McGuinness and O Cuiv are the constant whingers in FF. They have had their day in the sun.
    When the vote comes most of the FF vote will see that there is no alternative. The fishwife hasn't done too much to make friends in FF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Sleeveen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

FG are at least 5% more than represented on that poll. Easily. The country is fúcked for at least the next 10 years. We need FG to sort it out. That's what the party has always had to do.

You think people are embarrassed to say they will vote FF?
    You could be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

John McGuinness wrote you all FF members in the constituency with a questionnaire in relation to gauge how we would vote if a program for government were put to the grassroots. Gave the option to vote in order of preference for the various possible coalition options from this election and a possible future election. Also gave the option to not go into government. The results would be interesting to see

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

As tempting and all as it is, I wouldn't get too worked up about anything John McGuinness has to say. He's always been against Mícheál Martin, and similarly Ó Cuív wouldn't be noted for his loyalty to the leader either. I'm not sure how reflective either are of the FF Grassroots. In saying that, I know there is plenty of opposition to coalescing with FG, but it must be pointed out that in certain parts of the country, there ain't much love for the idea in FG either (such as Mayo and Cork).

what option do FF have if they want to be in government ?, they either dance with FG or SF

Are you saying that you would be surprised if any coalition involving FF lasted more than two budgets?……………but all their recent coalitions did.

Ditto FG.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Are you saying that you would be surprised if any coalition involving FF lasted more than two budgets?……………but all their recent coalitions did.

Ditto FG.

FF are in trouble, they need a fresh and more pr friendly leader now.
    MM is a millstone around their neck and he is desperate to be called Taoiseach, he will do anything to achieve that.
    He will then for ever be known as former Taoiseach Michael Martin, I think he likes the thought of that, what he considers the prestige of having been it.
    FF need him gone.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »

Ditto FG.

Present situation ya....they wont see a 3rd budget,theres no imputus on either FG or greens to prop them up,both are likely to gain seats in next election

Its not like last 5 years,where FF hadnt talemt to force another election,FG do(not in my area,but nationally yew)

Quite how martin,who has brought FF to a lower rating than cowen is secure in his leadership,merely highlights the dereft of talent in that party,they arent working to a stagedy,nor even pulling together......should mske great political drama watching them rip each other apart though :D

Advertisement