Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Robert Whittaker vs Jarrod Cannonier for UFC 248 in March

Should be a great fight and if Cannonier wins he should obviously get a title shot. Not sure what they do with Whittaker if he wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Cejudo giving up his 125lb title
    UFC making Benevidez vs Figueiredo for it

Fair play to him - he really did save that division.

How did he save it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Beersmith wrote: »
    How did he save it?

Because it was strongly rumoured that the division was going to be ditched. Demetrious Johnson was wiping out every contender and being a personality vacuum in the process.

Then Cejudo beat him, put on some great fights, talked a lot of crap and then became a 2 division champ. Drew some much needed attention to the 125 guys.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Because it was strongly rumoured that the division was going to be ditched. Demetrious Johnson was wiping out every contender and being a personality vacuum in the process.

Then Cejudo beat him, put on some great fights, talked a lot of crap and then became a 2 division champ. Drew some much needed attention to the 125 guys.

Delighted for Benavides... Long deserved and earned.

Re Cejudo: oh please. He's currently just trying to put a spin on having been unceremoniously defrocked by UFC (Dana embarrassed by his schtick). IMO he really didn't beat DJ, then proceeded to act the maggot and behave like an ass. One great performance vs possibly compromised TJ and then - in fairness - truly great win v Marlon. So realax Henry; many have done as much or more. Then through subsequent injury and rehab he's just acted entitled and obnoxious and really not added anything to 125 div or its longevity. Saved it? Don't understand that view at all.

Prizefighters are just that - Cejudo one of the most cynical and commercially minded.
    (And his schtick really is creepy and weird. :o) Valentina: you got my blessing :D

DrPhilG wrote: »

Just one fight at flyweight though after winning it. Meh, don't see how he saved it but agree to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Beersmith wrote: »
    How did he save it?

Back in January the consensus was that TJ Dillashaw was being sent down to 125lb to beat the champion and allow the UFC to eliminate the division altogether. In the previous few months the UFC had cut a lot of flyweights and some of them were even trying their luck at bantamweight in order to avoid being cut.

Leading up to the fight Dana White even refused to rule out closing the division even if Cejudo won:
    Cejudo tried making a deal on the spot Thursday at the presser with UFC president Dana White. Cejudo asked White to guarantee that the flyweight division would stay intact if Cejudo beats Dillashaw. White demurred and replied, “We’ll see what happens on Saturday.”

link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Gotta love Triple C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Cian Cowley was beaten again today, 3 defeats in a row and a pro record now of 2-4 I believe. You would have to wonder where he goes from here.

He probably should have had a more extensive amateur career before turning pro. I'd like to see him get back to a winning record but he could probably do with some time away from competing for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Cowley has absolutely no business being in professional MMA. There's no way the level he's at can possibly warm him enough to justify the risks of being a fighter. The knockout in his last fight was brutal and there's more of that ahead for him I'd fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

He'll go back to kickboxing and win one of the 76688284847165329917652 unverifiable "world championships" floating around Ireland at the minute in a parish hall in Enniscorthy in the new year and all the SBG lads will be posting 'Animal Brother" under it for a few weeks.
    All back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Would love to see this again. I think Rose takes the rematch as she won't be trying for armbars mid slam. She'll rightly respect Andrade's grappling a bit more but be confident enough to know how well she was doing last time before the slam.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1215345447650373632?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Will Rose be ok going back to New York after her terrifying experience last time out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Khabbib posted a nice pic on his instagram page.
    I see he snuck Mcgregor and Al in there too :)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B7HL8xiKS_r/?igshid=1iymsrxh14nxf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Adasanya vs Romero confirmed for Ufc 248 main event. Good fight that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Woodly v Edwards seems to be done too. That will be an interesting one.

• Advertisement

Romero getting the shot while on a two fight slide? Bit mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Thought he beat Whitaker to be honest so no problem with this.

Is Till going fighting cannonier in March now Whitaker is out ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fitzparker

It's like a comment I saw about holly holm
    "holly is 2 losses away from a title shot"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

i have no issue with yoel getting a title shot. i believe like many that he beat whittaker in the second fight. plus costa is out for a long time after bicep surgery.

izzy wants to be active and i cant see anyone else who would get a title shot.

maybe cannonier if he had of beat whittaker but thats been scraped

really cant wait to see how izzy does against yoel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It is a bit.
    He’s ranked 3. The guys he lost to are 1 and 2, but they’re both out. So it kinda makes sense.

Paddy Holohan suspended by SF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

Dillon Danis pulls out of upcoming fight due to injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

fitzparker wrote: »
    It's like a comment I saw about holly holm
    "holly is 2 losses away from a title shot"

Aldo looks to run her close, The powers that be are apparently engaging to book him to take on Cejudo at UFC250 he has chalked up those 2 losses in a row in fairness so hard to argue really :pac:

Aldo looks to run her close, The powers that be are apparently engaging to book him to take on Cejudo at UFC250 he has chalked up those 2 losses in a row in fairness so hard to argue really :pac:

Yeah I saw that on ESPN. Apparently Cejudo keen on fighting him in Brazil and the money men want it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Homelander wrote: »

McGregor ****ed him up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

US2 wrote: »
    McGregor ****ed him up

Shhhhhhhh you're not allowed to talk about those allegations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I reckon Izzy knows he'll fight him at some stage. If that fight happened in a year or two people would say he beat an old Yoel (if he won). They probably will anyway.

Homelander wrote: »

Thats disappointing. Really like him. A mouthy ****er too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭VW 1

He was absolutely robbed in the last fight on the cards, was a joke of a decision.

• Advertisement

VW 1 wrote: »
    He was absolutely robbed in the last fight on the cards, was a joke of a decision.

Disagree. I think aldo lost and deserved to lose. Although it was tight. No way a robbery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Zero-Cool wrote: »

That's absolutely laughable.
    I'm a fan of women's MMA but get a grip.
    Jessica Eye, Pena, Gadelha, Ansaroff shouldn't even be on that list anywhere.
    Holly Holm over McGregor, Holloway, Ferguson etc.

Zhang at #3??? She's had about 4 UFC fights. It's a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Still Ill

The most offensive part is the fact that she's #3, despite being behind two people in joint second! Should clearly be fourth!

Edit: Oh, it's men and women seperate AND together. My bad.

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Men and Women have always been on the one list. Which made no sense.
    Separate them onto two lists is makes a lot more sense.

https://www.ufc.com/rankings

Holm is on the womens list. McGregor is on the mens list. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Mellor wrote: »
    Men and Women have always been on the one list. Which made no sense.
    Separate them onto two lists is makes a lot more sense.

https://www.ufc.com/rankings

Holm is on the womens list. McGregor is on the mens list. :confused:

Ok maybe on 2nd viewing I've read it wrong. But if they are separate men/women's lists why even amalgamate them like this.

Very much doubt I'm the only one who found it confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Still Ill wrote: »
    The most offensive part is the fact that she's #3, despite being behind two people in joint second! Should clearly be fourth!

Edit: Oh, it's men and women seperate AND together. My bad.
    Ok maybe on 2nd viewing I've read it wrong. But if they are separate men/women's lists why even amalgamate them like this.

Can confirm you're not :pac:

Click the link I posted, the UFC ranking page. The lists are completely separate.
    The screenshot above was probably when it was being updated to separate lists.
    Kinda clickbately to the guy to pretend that's how it's suppsoed to look. But that's "media" I guess. All about the clicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The Nal wrote: »
    Thats disappointing. Really like him. A mouthy ****er too.

Really ? he's never fought anyone of any calibre in MMA and just constantly calls out lads who aren't even in the same organization as him , He's 27 this summer and had 2 fights against cans,

• Advertisement

Really ? he's never fought anyone of any calibre in MMA and just constantly calls out lads who aren't even in the same organization as him , He's 27 this summer and had 2 fights against cans,

Oh sure, I don't have his tshirt or anything!

Spose I mean Id be interested to see him progress and if his BJJ is as good as they say.

I do like a good trash talker though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The Nal wrote: »
    Oh sure, I don't have his tshirt or anything!

Spose I mean Id be interested to see him progress and if his BJJ is as good as they say.

I do like a good trash talker though.

He's got good BBJJ but not nearly as good as he thinks he is, he give the real stand out guys a good contest but he never really gets across the line like against Toner twice and Jake shields for example,

Also he tries to copy Conor's striking style and stance which will get him ko'd out when he steps up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

How the hell does Usman make 170lbs???

Would very much look forward to see these 2 have a go at each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gintonious wrote:
    Would very much look forward to see these 2 have a go at each other.
    Usman would destroy him.

He's got good BBJJ but not nearly as good as he thinks he is, he give the real stand out guys a good contest but he never really gets across the line like against Toner twice and Jake shields for example,

Also he tries to copy Conor's striking style and stance which will get him ko'd out when he steps up
    He most in EBI over time to Jake Shields, kinda different as you have to allow the other guy get into a submission after a draw.
    He lost to Tonon and Gordon Ryan by referee decision, which isn't like in MMA winning on points. In BJJ that happens when all points are equal and the ref picks a winner. He's on the wrong side of both of those pick, but the list of people who are facing Ryan in ADCC rules and not losing is absolutely tiny.

That was 2 years ago though, and not sure how much work he's putting into his grappling since being kicked out of Marcelo's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Gintonious wrote: »

On JRE podcast the other day, he said he's always training and was knocking about at 197 on his way into camp for Colby but would usually be 191/192 where he said is the perfect weight, that he feels fast and powerful at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

eagle eye wrote: »
    Usman would destroy him.

Don't think he would destroy him, I like Masvidal but Usman is the toughest fight for him by miles, his size and wrestling make him terrifying.

Would still root for Masvidal for the KO though.

Mellor wrote: »
    He most in EBI over time to Jake Shields, kinda different as you have to allow the other guy get into a submission after a draw.
    He lost to Tonon and Gordon Ryan by referee decision, which isn't like in MMA winning on points. In BJJ that happens when all points are equal and the ref picks a winner. He's on the wrong side of both of those pick, but the list of people who are facing Ryan in ADCC rules and not losing is absolutely tiny.

That was 2 years ago though, and not sure how much work he's putting into his grappling since being kicked out of Marcelo's.

He lost it Tonon twice. The first time he had his knee ripped apart.

He lost it Tonon twice. The first time he had his knee ripped apart.

Yup, at ADCC in 2015. I that's his only submission loss.
    He was a fairly recent black belt then, a few months maybe. Hardly any shame in losing to Tonon in your debut year, he had a few years at black under his belt at that point.
    Same way Tonon lost to Kron in one of his debut matches.

Pretty **** news for Rafael Lovato Jr. Recently diagnosed with a rare brain condition that means he's been forced to retire.
    An legend in the BJJ world and an MMA world champion. Hope he can get whatever treatment he needs to stay as healthy as possible.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement