Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

Any tips on getting an exemption all? Which banks are best thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Smouse156 wrote: »
    Any tips on getting an exemption all? Which banks are best thanks.

Best would be to ask a broker

All looking good so far, according to EA. Purchasers paperwork with the bank all finished. Ours too. Looks like in two and a half weeks we may be living in our new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Assume i can expect very few properties to come on the market between now and year end ?

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Assume i can expect very few properties to come on the market between now and year end ?

Likely not a lot. People will be getting ready for Christmas now, not getting their houses ready for viewings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Queenio

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/what-is-the-best-month-to-sell-your-home-to-get-the-maximum-price-1.4138305%3fmode=amp

We had AIP this time a year ago and in December saw quite a few properties come online. Broker had advised this would be the case as Sellers want to carve the turkey knowing this is the last year in the house for them. And buyers ready to go on January to start their new year. We had a narrow search area and criteria though so can't speak to the wider market

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭outland1985

I wonder would early December be a good time to bid on a house, I've seen a few properties that have been on the market for 2 to 4 months, I believe they are overpriced. If I offer below asking a seller maybe tempted to sale agree so atleast they can enjoy Xmas knowing there house is off the market.
    One of the houses would suit pretty much all my criteria but I reckon it's 10% overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

I wonder would early December be a good time to bid on a house, I've seen a few properties that have been on the market for 2 to 4 months, I believe they are overpriced. If I offer below asking a seller maybe tempted to sale agree so atleast they can enjoy Xmas knowing there house is off the market.
    One of the houses would suit pretty much all my criteria but I reckon it's 10% overpriced.

Good luck with that prices are up 4/5 months in a row and are more expensive now (actual selling price) now than they were at the start of the year. I doubt anyone will bite more than likely they will just leave it until after the xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

fliball123 wrote: »
    Good luck with that prices are up 4/5 months in a row and are more expensive now (actual selling price) now than they were at the start of the year. I doubt anyone will bite more than likely they will just leave it until after the xmas

Where are you seeing the price increases? I went sale agreed on 2 houses so easily. I was expecting it to be much harder this time around

Where are you seeing the price increases? I went sale agreed on 2 houses so easily. I was expecting it to be much harder this time around

House prices are up the last 4 months in a row. PPR data

• Advertisement

House prices are up the last 4 months in a row. PPR data

Thankfully, not around where I am looking! Seems to be slowing again. I see houses on the market much longer & some asking prices lowered.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Thankfully, not around where I am looking! Seems to be slowing again. I see houses on the market much longer & some asking prices lowered.

Big big difference between asking and actual price. PPR actual price data 4 months of increases now not a huge increase 0.6%

Big big difference between asking and actual price. PPR actual price data 4 months of increases now not a huge increase 0.6%

Oh yeah, but those are houses sold in the last few months.
    I'm watching houses on the ground here.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭outland1985

Looking at 2 houses in particular, one has been on market since June the other nearly 4 months and neither have had offers.

Probably because they would not suit the majority of people, 1st house is 1 bed room and other is 2 bedroom but extremely small.

But if they are that long on market with such short supply surely they must be overpriced

Oh yeah, but those are houses sold in the last few months.
    I'm watching houses on the ground here.

No your looking at asking price PPR gives actual price

No your looking at asking price PPR gives actual price

Yes.
    I'm looking at the asking prices around me, some of which are dropping because the houses were not selling at the higher prices.
    I also know a local agent, who has always told me what price his houses sell for.
    I'm looking at the houses taking longer to sell, they are hardly going for over asking price if they are hanging on the market for months.

That is all anecdotal and it is local to me.
    The PPR is actual price from houses sold months ago.

Yes.
    I'm looking at the asking prices around me, some of which are dropping because the houses were not selling at the higher prices.
    I also know a local agent, who has always told me what price his houses sell for.
    I'm looking at the houses taking longer to sell, they are hardly going for over asking price if they are hanging on the market for months.

That is all anecdotal and it is local to me.

Think I will stick to the actual data instead of a he said she said

Think I will stick to the actual data instead of a he said she said

Yep. Stick to whatever you want. I'm not disputing the PPR, all I said was thankfully it has started to slow around my area. Because things were mad for a few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

bubblypop wrote:

PPR has houses sold as recently as October with more house sales added weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Aib have finally posted our letter of offer after almost 3 weeks. It took way too long I was so nervous all week. Feel like a weight is off my shoulders now. The valuation and insurance are all ready to go. Signing contracts early next week with the solicitor, hoping to be in in 3 weeks. It was originally supposed to be next Friday.

Really didn't want to be messing around so close to Xmas but at this stage I just want to get in now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Certainly doesn't seem to be any slow down in South Dublin. Absolute nightmare at the minute bidding on houses, just goes crazy with anything half decent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Certainly doesn't seem to be any slow down in South Dublin. Absolute nightmare at the minute bidding on houses, just goes crazy with anything half decent

Same in North Dublin. Painful

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Financesetc.

<SNIP>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Financesetc., this thread is to discuss CURRENTLY buying/selling. Please take discussion of the Irish Property Market to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Leozord

Finally, in the new gaff, for good now.

I was considering getting a place for me since 2017 but never took a serious effort on it. From last year, I started to save more consistently, and then last year my bank manager was offering me a mortgage. Initially I thought: "that should be easy to get - they just call and that's it?" and then, well, after look more into it... it is not that straightforward.

Anyway, after keep an eye on daft, I found an apartment in a building I used to rent before, in Drumcondra. I lived in here for two years and I loved it, not just the location, but the facilities around as well. Apartment in the ad was brighter and bigger, with an extra bedroom + office room.

Booked a visit and I liked it a lot. When I got the AIP from the bank (2 weeks later), I asked the EA if there were any offers. He said it was sale agreed for the asking price. Fair enough I walked away and kept looking.

Two months later, the EA called me and said the buyers pulled out and they decided to get a new house and he asked me if I was still interested. I said I wanted to have another look. I brought Ms together, then had a chat with him and we made an offer (a bit less than the asking price). Vendors accepted and the sale was agreed.

timeline, as single applicant:
    05/09: sale agreed
    30/09: contract sent to my solicitor
    13/10: contract sent back for some amendments
    27/10: letter of offer
    07/11: signed the contract
    then some usual banking red tape
    20/11: closing date

This week was rather turbulent. On Tuesday night, I got a food intoxication. On Thursday, was the closing date. Got the keys on Friday and moved to the new apartment. Despite feeling bad, me and Ms worked the most we could so we rented a GoCar, got our stuff and now we are settled. We were living in a tiny tiny Studio (14m2) so we didn't have to bring that much stuff.

Bonus: The previous owners were pretty nice to us. They left nice welcome pack :)
    48OkrDX.jpg

And a message for those who are waiting: patience is the key. I know it's hard to wait so long, specially during covid times, anxiety goes through the roof but... it is definitely worth waiting.

And thank you all - this board is full of useful information and nice people helping each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Financesetc.

Omg congratulations, so happy for you and your partner, well done and hope for you the best in your new home and heres to a happy life for you both. New house new baby haha hint hint.

Leozord wrote: »
    Finally, in the new gaff, for good now.

And a message for those who are waiting: patience is the key. I know it's hard to wait so long, specially during covid times, anxiety goes through the roof but... it is definitely worth waiting.

Congrats!!! We will be leaving a bottle of prosecco as well to the purchasers of our plice. It costs nothing to be nice

We're planning to move in in 2 weeks. Snagged on Wednesday and today I had access to speak with the guy that is going to install the floors. The place had been cleaned already and good progress on the snags. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

I recently found a place I liked and was lucky enough to win a short bidding war. I paid a €5000 deposit to hold the place a month ago.

Since then I have been sorting out things my end - house insurance, mortgage protection etc. The mortgage is approved and ready to go. The thing is that there doesn't seem to be anything happening on the vendor's side - my solicitor is still waiting for contracts to be sent to him, he says.

I am a first time buyer, so this is all new to me, though I am told that this kind of delay is perfectly normal, though I haven't been told why! :) Anyway, I am anxious to get into the new place before Christmas, am wondering if that is going to happen at this stage.

The EA says that the sale is actually pretty straightforward, but for whatever reason things seem to move at a snail's pace. I have read somewhere that Ireland is the slowest country in the EU for the whole process of buying or selling a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

fisgon wrote:
    The EA says that the sale is actually pretty straightforward, but for whatever reason things seem to move at a snail's pace. I have read somewhere that Ireland is the slowest country in the EU for the whole process of buying or selling a house.

Ask the EA to contact the vendor to put the pressure on their solicitor to issue contracts, or at least explain the delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Queenio

Anyway, I am anxious to get into the new place before Christmas, am wondering if that is going to happen at this stage.

You will but not necessarily this Christmas. Jokes aside we just bought a house. Prepare for infuriating delays. Vendors solicitors held us up no end despite both sides wanting a quick sale. The house was vacant and on the market for a year. It took July 12th booking deposit to Oct 15th to get the keys. I had really wanted to get in by end of August as I was due a baby. Not a hope. Covid has made the process so much worse. So all you can do is keep pressure on everyone and chase them endlessly to do the jobs they are paid to do. Can you tell I'm still a bit bitter?!

Best of luck

Advertisement