Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Emma2019 wrote: »
    This, except got AIP in August 2020 :o

Oh jesus :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

liam7831 wrote: »
    Letter of offer taking between 3 weeks and a month at the moment

Thanks for that, good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SheepShep

brianc27 wrote: »
    That's crazy, sellers solicitor in my case said he wanted to close ASAP back when I first went sale agreed so hopefully he's quick with any response

Is the seller buying also? Our seller chased us to immediately sign contracts and pay deposit then didn't answer / respond to us or our solicitor to exchange contracts or agree a closing date for six months. It wasn't until we said we were pulling out they caved. I think they were using our deposit / contract as leverage in their own bids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I've been out of the game for about a year since our purchase fell through, just getting back on the saddle. And I've been surprised at being asked for proof of funds before arranging a viewing for anything. Not just a letter confirming mortgage, but an actual bank statement showing that you can make up the balance.

Is this normal now? Is it just to do with limiting viewings during the pandemic? It seems incredibly invasive and puts the EA at a serious advantage knowing how much cash you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

I've been out of the game for about a year since our purchase fell through, just getting back on the saddle. And I've been surprised at being asked for proof of funds before arranging a viewing for anything. Not just a letter confirming mortgage, but an actual bank statement showing that you can make up the balance.

Is this normal now? Is it just to do with limiting viewings during the pandemic? It seems incredibly invasive and puts the EA at a serious advantage knowing how much cash you have.

It seems normal to be asked for proof of funds but I’ve never been asked for that detail. I provided a redacted AIP letter and that’s it, one to a major agent (DNG) and one to a smaller local one.

Ive seen other posters suggest here that you could get a letter from the bank or a solicitor to state that you have the funds (without showing your balance :/ ). That could work for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

You don't need to show everything you have. You need to show you have enough in place to be a legitimate bidder. A good thing imo. Cuts out a good proportion of the hobbyist house viewers and time wasters.

You're at no disadvantage unless you declare "This is all I've got".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

It must be only some estate agents. We viewed a house last week and have 2 viewings lined up for this coming week, none asked for proof of funds. Seems completely ridiculous. But have heard of a few places asking for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,091 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Lia_lia wrote: »
    It must be only some estate agents. We viewed a house last week and have 2 viewings lined up for this coming week, none asked for proof of funds. Seems completely ridiculous. But have heard of a few places asking for it.

First house we bid on never asked us for any proof of funds. They had a bid to view set up, invited the top 4 bidders to view and then another bidding war for the final sale.

2nd house we viewed (which we went sale agreed on) asked for proof of funds before we could bid, and after that a similar top bidders offer to view set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

SheepShep wrote: »
    Is the seller buying also? Our seller chased us to immediately sign contracts and pay deposit then didn't answer / respond to us or our solicitor to exchange contracts or agree a closing date for six months. It wasn't until we said we were pulling out they caved. I think they were using our deposit / contract as leverage in their own bids.

No, house is a vacant one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

I wouldn't show an estate agent what I can afford at that early stage, if you have a broker then ask them to provide a letter stating you have sufficient funds or if you don't have a broker then as a solicitor, that's what I did, I did however show everything when the bidding got down to me and one other, this seemed to go in my favour then as my bid was accepted about 5 mins after I showed my mortgage amount and savings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Thanks for the input everyone. I like the idea of asking my solicitor for a letter stating I have the funds available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Craig_David

in the middle of switching and waiting on my bank to release the deeds.
    My solicitor has been chasing them for a few weeks now..
    Is there any use in me chasing my bank also? Will it make any difference I wonder..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I have just gone sale agreed on an apartment. Can anyone recommend a solicitor in South Dublin, ideally D12/14ish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I have just gone sale agreed on an apartment. Can anyone recommend a solicitor in South Dublin, ideally D12/14ish?

will PM you one now!

Cork market is still effectively dead. Area I'm bidding in has semi detached 3 beds going for 315+. Ordinarily would be around 275. Still nothing really going up so that doesn't really help. Hoping things begin to change soon but less than confident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Market in Dublin & North Kildare is nuts. Hoping it calms down even a tiny bit in the next 1-3 months as viewings resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

in the middle of switching and waiting on my bank to release the deeds.
    My solicitor has been chasing them for a few weeks now..
    Is there any use in me chasing my bank also? Will it make any difference I wonder..?
    Simple answer , yes. I did , explained it was an urgent case and they got them out sharply. That was with BOI. i found in the entire process you have to be hands on if you want things to keep moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

FrankN1 wrote: »
    Market in Dublin & North Kildare is nuts. Hoping it calms down even a tiny bit in the next 1-3 months as viewings resume.

It's madness.

Sit tight, if you're content to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Pussyhands wrote: »
    It's madness.

Sit tight, if you're content to.

Can't see prices coming down much, if at all, in the next 2/3 years. Most we can hope for is they level off even a small bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭Emma2019

It's taking every ounce of strength not to badger the estate agent and solicitor to find out if they're going to accept the closing date we put on the contracts we sent back.

Its been a week of torture!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

It's taking every ounce of strength not to badger the estate agent and solicitor to find out if they're going to accept the closing date we put on the contracts we sent back.

Its been a week of torture!

Closing date is just a guide for drawing down funds etc, doesnt really matter if its finished up a few weeks before or after this date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭Emma2019

Not sure if I get what you mean, but I had understood that if they sign to agree 3rd of June that they cant delay it past that.

But I mostly just want to know if we're all working towards the same date or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

FrankN1 wrote:
    Can't see prices coming down much, if at all, in the next 2/3 years. Most we can hope for is they level off even a small bit.

as soon as everyone with more than 10%deposit has their house and it's back to the normal 3.5 times gross salary folk prices will fall back

I'm interested in seeing data on closing prices for the quarter rather than people in bidding wars, nobody knows if these sales are actually going through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Not sure if I get what you mean, but I had understood that if they sign to agree 3rd of June that they cant delay it past that.

But I mostly just want to know if we're all working towards the same date or not.

Yes they can, the closing date is agreed by the two solicitors as a reasonable date for both parties to aim for. Could easily be another 4 or 6 six weeks after this date if progress is slow due to banks engineers planning etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

fergus1001 wrote: »

I'm interested in seeing data on closing prices for the quarter rather than people in bidding wars, nobody knows if these sales are actually going through

Have seen 5 or 6 mad prices for houses in the area we are looking over the last 5-6 months . 3 are up on the ppr and the mad price was realised

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

fergus1001 wrote: »
    as soon as... it's back to the normal 3.5 times gross salary folk prices will fall back.

Are banks more relaxed with exemptions at the moment? I didn't hear anything about this...

Zenify wrote: »
    Are banks more relaxed with exemptions at the moment? I didn't hear anything about this...

think he means people who've saved loads during the pandemic and have bigger cash deposits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Saw in the papers today that KBC and Permanent TSB have burned through their exemptions for the year. That might cool things somewhat in the second half of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Mav11

Rising house prices are not just an Irish problem. Interesting article on CNN on the global nature of the issue:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/13/business/global-real-estate-prices/index.html

Mav11 wrote: »
    Rising house prices are not just an Irish problem. Interesting article on CNN on the global nature of the issue:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/13/business/global-real-estate-prices/index.html

Economies grow and create jobs far faster than houses can be built. As long as there's jobs, there'll be money, there'll be money flowing into housing.

All the jobs created are in cities which brings everyone to the cities.

Governments pumping cash into the economy like there's no tomorrow doesn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

I have various alerts setup with daft.ie and I get emails with any new properties listed.

I keep seeing stuff that is already "sale agreed". This morning I got an email and 2mins later I looked at it only to see it was "sale agreed"

What on earth is the deal with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

So after going sale agreed end of November 2020, we have a closing date of June 1st

Cheque requisition went from our solicitor to EBS last week. A bit of grumbling from our solicitor about not transferring funds too soon due to negative interest rate for solicitor client accounts (-0.5% with AIB).

So 3 years, 1 sale fall through and innumerable hours of dealing with various banks and jumping through hoops as self employed person we're almost there...

Will leave discussion for how to simplify the house buying process for other threads...

On Thursday gone we signed the contracts with our solicitor, and paid deposit balance :P

Took alot of wrangling by myself in the background to get the KPMG/IBRC deeds issue sorted out. There was a chain of 4 solicitors involved (our solicitor, vendors current solicitor, vendors previous solicitor from when they bought the house, previous owners solicitor when they sold the house to current vendor).

If you find yourself in a similar situation, try to take control of the situation, even if it may involve overstepping the mark slightly. Solicitors naturallly enough are v busy, so won't be proactive in these situations and they're not thinking about your case all the time! Also a chain of communication like that leads to mis-communication. For example my KPMG contact emphasized the need to email requests. When it got to the solicitor who was required to file an eDischarge he decided it was best to courier the docs to IBRC address on Golden Lane which is empty without even a security guard.

I have various alerts setup with daft.ie and I get emails with any new properties listed.

I keep seeing stuff that is already "sale agreed". This morning I got an email and 2mins later I looked at it only to see it was "sale agreed"

What on earth is the deal with that?

Advertising I was told by one estate agent. Free advertising for them. Looks good that they have multiple properties as 'available' rather than none.

Infuriating from a buyer's perspective. LWK in North Dublin have properties listed as available on Daft that were sold and already listed on the PPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

Advertising I was told by one estate agent. Free advertising for them. Looks good that they have multiple properties as 'available' rather than none.

Infuriating from a buyer's perspective. LWK in North Dublin have properties listed as available on Daft that were sold and already listed on the PPR.

Moving back to Ireland after 20 years in the UK, my wife and I see huge differences in the house buying process. One thing we have seen is the difference in regulation. I don't think UK estate agents are any more trustworthy, but they are regulated very tightly. Dealing with Auctioneers/Estate Agents in Ireland is like the wild west in comparison. Time and time again we see "errors" in listings that always make the properties seem more valuable. Accidentally adding bathrooms or bedrooms. Dishonest measurements.....really all sorts of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Has anyone noticed a significant drop in properties hitting Daft and MyHome over the last two weeks? I had been steadily getting 2-3 per day for the last couple of months under my search parameters. I expected more to come up since viewings were allowed to re-commence, but the tap seems to have been turned off altogether. A tiny sample size I know, just seems odd.

Completely separate topic; does anyone have experience of a closing date on the longer side of normal? We have just gone sale agreed on our own house. I explained to the EA that we would need a little time to try to find our own place, but didn't want to push whatever the norm is too far. He told us 2-3 months would be normal, and confirmed with the buyer that he could be flexible. However our solicitor thinks that anything beyond end July would be pushing it - and contracts haven't even been issued yet. I'm not saying either is right or wrong; our first purchase was as straightforward as it gets so it wasn't an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Moving back to Ireland after 20 years in the UK, my wife and I see huge differences in the house buying process. One thing we have seen is the difference in regulation. I don't think UK estate agents are any more trustworthy, but they are regulated very tightly. Dealing with Auctioneers/Estate Agents in Ireland is like the wild west in comparison. Time and time again we see "errors" in listings that always make the properties seem more valuable. Accidentally adding bathrooms or bedrooms. Dishonest measurements.....really all sorts of things.

there are plenty of honourable estate agents out there but there is no doubt the cowboys face little threat of sanction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Completely separate topic; does anyone have experience of a closing date on the longer side of normal? We have just gone sale agreed on our own house. I explained to the EA that we would need a little time to try to find our own place, but didn't want to push whatever the norm is too far. He told us 2-3 months would be normal, and confirmed with the buyer that he could be flexible. However our solicitor thinks that anything beyond end July would be pushing it - and contracts haven't even been issued yet. I'm not saying either is right or wrong; our first purchase was as straightforward as it gets so it wasn't an issue.

I'm in the same position but on the other side- I'm the buyer. Part of the reason the seller has sold to me is that I said I'm willing to wait a fair bit longer for her to buy a place. Went sale agreed over a week ago and I'm unsure what to do now, I've never gotten to this stage before! It has been suggested to me by friends that I should aim to get contracts signed, so that I can take possession by a certain date and get it all done and dusted, but let her continue living there and charge rent if necessary, if she needs another few weeks.

I think this seems reasonable but not sure how to suggest this. As a buyer, I really want to get contracts signed, and I understand there has to be a closing date on them. My fear is that I will be strung along for weeks and then she may choose to pull out anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Has anyone noticed a significant drop in properties hitting Daft and MyHome over the last two weeks? I had been steadily getting 2-3 per day for the last couple of months under my search parameters. I expected more to come up since viewings were allowed to re-commence, but the tap seems to have been turned off altogether. A tiny sample size I know, just seems odd.
    Yeah saw loads a month or so back but the last 2 or 3 weeks has very little showing up

Shelga wrote: »
    I'm in the same position but on the other side- I'm the buyer. Part of the reason the seller has sold to me is that I said I'm willing to wait a fair bit longer for her to buy a place. Went sale agreed over a week ago and I'm unsure what to do now, I've never gotten to this stage before! It has been suggested to me by friends that I should aim to get contracts signed, so that I can take possession by a certain date and get it all done and dusted, but let her continue living there and charge rent if necessary, if she needs another few weeks.

I think this seems reasonable but not sure how to suggest this. As a buyer, I really want to get contracts signed, and I understand there has to be a closing date on them. My fear is that I will be strung along for weeks and then she may choose to pull out anyway.

As a seller I would be perfectly fine with paying rent for a short period, if the buyer was amenable. I understand they want to close quickly, perhaps so as not to have to go back to their bank for another approval. However I have read in other places of concerns around entering into some form of tenancy arrangement before you ever fully take possession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭optogirl

JohnK wrote: »
    Yeah saw loads a month or so back but the last 2 or 3 weeks has very little showing up

Very little available at the moment. I am so p*ssed off at the moment having just been outbid on the 7th house we've gone for in the past 8 months. AIP due to run out soon and need to start application from scratch (Rebuilding Ireland Home Loan) which is an arduous and stressful process in itself....all to be awarded maximum of 288k which is simply not enough to buy in Dublin. :mad:

I saw one house listed recently as a 3 bed. There were beds in 4 rooms, but two were clearly attic rooms that don't qualify as bedrooms, so I was curious as to where the third was. Called the EA, who advised that he wasn't counting the two attic rooms as bedrooms (because that wouldn't be accurate!) but was counting a downstairs bathroom which was once a bedroom, but could be "de-plumbed" back into a bedroom again.

I wish Daft and MyHome would make certain info mandatory for a listing. The amount of ads I see that don't have the BER, total square footage / metres for the properties etc is frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ftbman

The biggest problem with the house buying process in Ireland that I can see is in the fact they don't have to tell you anything you don't specifically ask about and even if you do and they lie, you can't do a thing. Plus the valuers get paid for not even showing up.

For example, the house may have a feature called "gravity water". In plain laguage that means no rain - no water. Or your septic tank may be on somebody else's property. That's a very common thing, as large farmlands have been passed on over generations and sold off in pieces for development.

In our case the estate agent knew all along, but didn't say a word. My advice is to visit the home owner and let them walk you around the property and ask about everything that comes to mind. Water, electricity, heating, waste disposal, access etc. And make them show you the places around the house that seem inaccessible.

The agents, the valuers and the engineers, they all get paid for superficial inspections and for simply putting into their reports what the agent's advert says.

There's also the issue with wind-farms popping up like mushrooms after the rain. The owners know if there is one going to be built nearby, but they aren't required to tell you. We found out only by accident. When we asked the agent he pretended this was news to him. It took a while to find out who was building them. Thankfully, those companies are obliged by law to give you exact information with maps and risk assessments. It turned out the windfarm was to be built within a year with the nearest turbine only 700 meters from the house. That's the kind of proximity that devalues a property by 50% or even makes it worthless for residential development.

In countries where regulation prevents such blatant fraud you get this information right at the start. Here, when we confronted the agent and the house owner, they became quite irritated and hostile. We backed out of the deal and lost money to fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

Stark wrote: »
    Saw in the papers today that KBC and Permanent TSB have burned through their exemptions for the year. That might cool things somewhat in the second half of the year.

I really hope that’s not true! I applied with PTSB 3 weeks ago with an exemption, and they’re taking their sweet time to process. I was really hopeful they’d give me an exemption

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,815 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I saw one house listed recently as a 3 bed. There were beds in 4 rooms, but two were clearly attic rooms that don't qualify as bedrooms, so I was curious as to where the third was. Called the EA, who advised that he wasn't counting the two attic rooms as bedrooms (because that wouldn't be accurate!) but was counting a downstairs bathroom which was once a bedroom, but could be "de-plumbed" back into a bedroom again.

I wish Daft and MyHome would make certain info mandatory for a listing. The amount of ads I see that don't have the BER, total square footage / metres for the properties etc is frustrating.

Why can't an attic be called a bedroom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,815 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Jasna1982 wrote: »
    I really hope that’s not true! I applied with PTSB 3 weeks ago with an exemption, and they’re taking their sweet time to process. I was really hopeful they’d give me an exemption

This was on rte:

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0525/1223774-mortgage-borrowing-rules/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Has anyone noticed a significant drop in properties hitting Daft and MyHome over the last two weeks? I had been steadily getting 2-3 per day for the last couple of months under my search parameters. I expected more to come up since viewings were allowed to re-commence, but the tap seems to have been turned off altogether.

There's a few more properties than 2 weeks ago but they have gone up in price so probably not showing in your parameters.

Funds are paying more, lots of housing agencies bidding and people with family money bidding, driving the prices higher atm. I've been following the housing market for a few years keeping an eye on bids and its just gone bat **** crazy. It was just crazy before Q4 2020. I'm gonna check the ppr and see if they actually sell for the bids.

I'm very lucky in my housing situation, as mentioned here many times, I live in a house owned by a family member and just pay for maintenance and bills. I have this situation for the foreseeable future. I view properties and place bids, if I find something I like at a good price I'll take it.

I don't think anyone on this forum can creditable say there are properties at a good price out there. The only argument to buy now is you'll waste more money on rent if you don't buy now, or prices are gonna go higher.

I am so annoyed with the current property market in Ireland, not so much for me (I'm cushy) but my entire generation. Some of my friends, even with PHDs are planning to leave Ireland as soon as restrictions lift. They believe they will never own housing here.

We come from a Country where people have died so that we can own property. I remember in school the teachers used to talk about landlords upping rent if the tenants fixed a leak in the roof. And many families living in one house. Could you imagine that 20years after my teacher talking about history like that we would now have houses with over 30 people crammed into them. Not to mention a housing shortage yet landlords hordng vacant properties.

I hope our current politicians are vilified in the same way the British are in our history books. I hope they know that history will not be kind to them. Now is their chance to fix the problems they have caused, they only have a short time left, let's see if they can make a difference or if we will remember them for the situation the have fostered with their policies.

Ace2007 wrote: »

They're classified as storage areas due to ceilings not being high enough generally. If they're high enough, you need to get an architect to apply for planning approval to recognize as bedroom.

Ace2007 wrote: »

It has to meet certain regulations around fire safety etc to be classified as a bedroom. Our attic is converted and is probably the best room in the house, but it doesn't meet regs so we have to sell as a 3 bed with an attic room rather than a 4 bed. There is a bed in the photos, most people will use it as a bedroom like we and the previous owners did, we just can't sell it as one.

Others may be able to provide more specific info.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Jafin

I'm really confused about exceptions - does every bank do them differently? I have AIP with Bank of Ireland and when I asked about an exception the mortgage advisor told me that I had to find a property first and then apply for an exception based on that property, and that the people who decide on exception do so on a weekly basis. Having read the above article from RTE about PTSB it seems like people were able to apply with them for an exception without having already found a property and that it was just part of their AIP, or am I reading the article incorrectly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭ec18

Jafin wrote: »
    I'm really confused about exceptions - does every bank do them differently? I have AIP with Bank of Ireland and when I asked about an exception the mortgage advisor told me that I had to find a property first and then apply for an exception based on that property, and that the people who decide on exception do so on a weekly basis. Having read the above article from RTE about PTSB it seems like people were able to apply with them for an exception without having already found a property and that it was just part of their AIP, or am I reading the article incorrectly?

Yes all banks have different criteria for what qualifies for exemptions. Generally an exception won't be granted for AIP until it's gone to the underwriter for full approval and that would involve being Sale Agreed.

People who have AIP with an exception would have put a house address of a similar value down when applying rather than just asking for the max allowable

• Advertisement
Advertisement