Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Could you please share the Amazon link?

Did you look at the YouTube video as per my suggestion a few posts back? The firelighters from Aldi and kindling will work no problem, look at the video for the top down lighting method. It never fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Guys,

The fire smoke alarm went on 4 times in a matter of 1 hour!!

It's a new house. Could it be possible that smoke alarm is too sensitive?

I had to eventually turn off the fire by shutting down both primary and secondary vents.

This is closest link I found

https://youtu.be/433myBuH18g
    vicwatson wrote: »
    Did you look at the YouTube video as per my suggestion a few posts back? The firelighters from Aldi and kindling will work no problem, look at the video for the top down lighting method. It never fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Guys,

The fire smoke alarm went on 4 times in a matter of 1 hour!!

It's a new house. Could it be possible that smoke alarm is too sensitive?

I had to eventually turn off the fire by shutting down both primary and secondary vents.

Am I right in saying it’s a new stove ? If so you’re meant to have a few small and large fires may have caused some smoke, I’ve never had the smoke alarm go off from the stove
    Do some googling

The internet isn’t for everyone

Yes, it's a new vitae inset stove.

I had put in only 2 logs of oak wood.

Carbon monoxide alarm remained okay throughout.

Am I supposed to fire small quantity only?
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    Am I right in saying it’s a new stove ? If so you’re meant to have a few small and large fires may have caused some smoke, I’ve never had the smoke alarm go off from the stove
    Do some googling

• Advertisement

I was told to light small fires for a few days anyway and there was a smell from the stove at the start so maybe that’s what set the alarm off but I’m only guessing
    All the smoke should be going up the chimney

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Yes first few fires should be tiny, a fire log is more than enough to burn off all the chemicals in the stove from manufacturing

We didn't see any smoke with our eyes. But yes there was smell and I read that it is from the paint that needs to be cured.

I am check more info on Google now.

Thanks
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    I was told to light small fires for a few days anyway and there was a smell from the stove at the start so maybe that’s what set the alarm off but I’m only guessing
    All the smoke should be going up the chimney

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭RonTon

What the vitae stove like ? You like it so far?
    Build quality ok?

• Advertisement

It's in inset stove with a solid built quality.
    Very easy to clean.
    Modern looking.

Only issue that has put me off is that it triggered fire alarm 4 times today. But I believe its part of curing the paint.
    RonTon wrote: »
    What the vitae stove like ? You like it so far?
    Build quality ok?

This is closest link I found

https://youtu.be/433myBuH18g

That’s it, follow him and you won’t go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

What's the best material to get the fire started? I have used dry sticks but struggled to get the fire going.

IMG-20201128-WA0051.jpg

I assume you are trying to start the fire with your oak? That's not easy or a good strategy.

Oak is a brilliant fuel, assuming its properly seasoned, but is hard to get started even when dry.

A light hardwood, like ash, sally etc or softwood would make for good starter fuel. Once these are cut to kindling size you will have no difficulty getting fire started, once you have it going add your oak then.

A woodfire like any fire is a chemical reaction. With wood the heat from your firelighter will initially "excite" the non carbon parts of wood to form a wood gas which will then ignite. The lighter, smaller drier the wood is the quicker this will happen.

Once this gets started and you keep air supply up the rest of wood will ignite. Once wood gas are burned off you will be left will emebers which is a carbon fire which needs less air.

TLDR, buy some kindling or a small hatchet and go to work on a dry bag of softwood/ash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

One ZIP (individually wrapped) firelighter + 3-4 oak kindlings (chopped them myself from Monahan's logs), set logs on fire no problem. :cool:

joujoujou wrote: »
    One ZIP (individually wrapped) firelighter + 3-4 oak kindlings (chopped them myself from Monahan's logs), set logs on fire no problem. :cool:

check you out with the posh single wrapped zip
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

Where the best place to buy kiln dried hardwood in Galway/Tuam/Athenry?

Blowheads wrote: »

You can buy it from MONAHANS, they deliver countrywide

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Blowheads wrote: »

Eamon at No Bother is great to deal with... You shouldn't have to pay for delivery and his selling point is that he will stack the fuel for you. Bring it to your house, and unload it from the crate neatly into your shed: https://nobother.ie/

Connolly Sawmills in Turloughmore have a good product and are good to deal with, although you might be waiting a while for delivery: http://www.connollysawmills.com/firewood-galway.html

Ecofuel are not the cheapest but have top quality product: https://www.ecofuel.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭soap1978

Is this good value?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭mjp

aw wrote: »
    Eamon at No Bother is great to deal with... You shouldn't have to pay for delivery and his selling point is that he will stack the fuel for you. Bring it to your house, and unload it from the crate neatly into your shed: https://nobother.ie/

Connolly Sawmills in Turloughmore have a good product and are good to deal with, although you might be waiting a while for delivery: http://www.connollysawmills.com/firewood-galway.html

Ecofuel are not the cheapest but have top quality product: https://www.ecofuel.ie/

Get mine from connolly's in turloughmore and by far the cheapest of the options mentioned above. Normally collect it from there in a small van and will get 1 cubic metre crate in it.

€130 for ash or else they have red deal(softwood) for €80. Mixed up the red deal in ash there during the week and good heat off it eventhough it doesn't last as long as the ash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

soap1978 wrote: »
    Is this good value?

It's costing €170-200 / cubic metre, depending on whether the crate dimensions given, are internal or external.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭soap1978

It's costing €170-200 / cubic metre, depending on whether the crate dimensions given, are internal or external.

not a great deal then? would it fill a 8 x 4 trailer no sides on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Just over three weeks in with our first batch of wood. Bought the €175 jumbo bag from Surefire. So much cleaner than coal in the house. Great in that regard so far. Cleaner in the shed too! But we’ve flown through the bag, probably get another 3 days out of it. So it’s working out more expensive but to be honest still don’t reckon we’d go back to coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

not a great deal then? would it fill a 8 x 4 trailer no sides on it

You would need 18-20 inch sides on the trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭snor

Any good deals in Dublin area - Southside. Need individual bags as limited storage space. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is this good value?

It is 1.6m3 of ash for 295 so yeah it is decent value provided its dry to below 20%
    chris_ie wrote: »
    Just over three weeks in with our first batch of wood. Bought the €175 jumbo bag from Surefire. So much cleaner than coal in the house. Great in that regard so far. Cleaner in the shed too! But we’ve flown through the bag, probably get another 3 days out of it. So it’s working out more expensive but to be honest still don’t reckon we’d go back to coal.

yeah between less dust in the house and less ash to clean up burning wood is definitely preferable. But if burning it every night of the week the costs would soon stack up.How many fires a week are you typically burning? If its a lot I think it makes sense to buy in bigger bulk like trailer loads as the price goes down with bigger quantities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Muahahaha wrote: »

yeah between less dust in the house and less ash to clean up burning wood is definitely preferable. But if burning it every night of the week the costs would soon stack up.How many fires a week are you typically burning? If its a lot I think it makes sense to buy in bigger bulk like trailer loads as the price goes down with bigger quantities.

Yeah at the minute it’s a fire every day. Will look into get a bigger bulk load. Surefire was handy cos I know now the driver has no problems getting up the driveway to the shed. Will check out a few other places. Wondering if the likes of surefire would give a discount if ordering multiples of the super jumbo bags for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah at a fire a day you would fly through it. I would definitely be asking Surefirewood or any other supplier for a discount if ordering multiple bags. Even though they say free delivery ultimately the cost of it is in each bag so if they're delivering several bags in one drop you'd expect some money off.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Was wondering are these any good and which is the best value. All kiln dried and in Cork.

€199
    Hand Stacked Ash Hardwood. Comes In A Crate. 450kg. Crate dimensions: 1.2M (H) x 1.15M (W) x 0.85M (D)

€199
    Premium Oak Log 25cm Crate 1m (430KG)
    Pallet Dimensions, 110 x 80 x 100cm. Pallet size 0.97 m. Volume of Firewood 0.80m

€199
    Kiln Dried Beech Logs 430kg.Pallet Dimensions, 110 x 80 x 100cm. Pallet size 0.97M. Volume of Firewood 0.80M

€220
    1.2 Cubic Metre Crate of Kiln Dried Birch Firewood Logs. H 49" x B 34" x W 46"

€230
    1.2 Cubic Metre Crate of Kiln Dried Ash Firewood Logs. H 49" x B 34" x W 46"

€230
    1.2 Cubic Metre Crate of Kiln Dried Oak Firewood Logs. H 49" x B 34" x W 46"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

john_doe. wrote: »
    Was wondering are these any good and which is the best value. All kiln dried and in Cork.

€199
    Hand Stacked Ash Hardwood. Comes In A Crate. 450kg. Crate dimensions: 1.2M (H) x 1.15M (W) x 0.85M (D)

€199
    Premium Oak Log 25cm Crate 1m (430KG)
    Pallet Dimensions, 110 x 80 x 100cm. Pallet size 0.97 m. Volume of Firewood 0.80m

€199
    Kiln Dried Beech Logs 430kg.Pallet Dimensions, 110 x 80 x 100cm. Pallet size 0.97M. Volume of Firewood 0.80M

€220
    1.2 Cubic Metre Crate of Kiln Dried Birch Firewood Logs. H 49" x B 34" x W 46"

€230
    1.2 Cubic Metre Crate of Kiln Dried Ash Firewood Logs. H 49" x B 34" x W 46"

€230
    1.2 Cubic Metre Crate of Kiln Dried Oak Firewood Logs. H 49" x B 34" x W 46"

Can you also mention shop name/URL etc

Advertisement