Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade & Retro Kickstarter thread ,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

About time, although never mess with a classic.
    Also the name is meh. I will be backing it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Not retro gaming related but still so awesome. Think a few people here will appreciate it

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warpo/dont-cuddle-the-krampus-retro-80s-toy-line

Went for an early bird myself, shipping is a whopper of $60 though, still though, early Christmas present to myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I see Pat the NES punk has a nice book on Kickstarter. But, only shipping to the US :(
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/560468638/nintendo-nes-library-guide-and-review-book-of-750/description

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I see Pat the NES punk has a nice book on Kickstarter. But, only shipping to the US :(
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/560468638/nintendo-nes-library-guide-and-review-book-of-750/description

The Physical Book pledge says it'll do international shipping just that it might be expensive? Same as the book then. :)

Looks like a really good book.

I'd say it will end up with well over 100'000 pledged

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

The layout of the pages looks horrible to me, like it was whipped together in mspaint.

like it was whipped together in mspaint.

surely you mean Mario Paint.

The layout of the pages looks horrible to me, like it was whipped together in mspaint.

Yeah it isn't great at all, but I've seen a lot worse and for 60 dollars I wouldn't expect much more. You should check out the Punchout history book, it got pulled off kickstarter so it's now a free pdf, looks very well though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ugly design aside, do we really need a book of NES reviews?

I find the best gaming related books are either ones that create something interesting design wise (like the Megadrive book) or select one particular subject and delve to levels which haven't been explored yet before. (like that history of Japanese videogame music released recently)

NES reviews? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

If Pat's name wasn't on it I doubt it would get to far really..

NES games really are the "in" thing at the moment though. Seems to be the collecting focus for most people in the USA.

I agree as well, if pats name wasn't on it I wouldn't even get close to the figure this will undoubtedly end up at

I find they are churning these book out at the moment.

I initially went for the c64 one for nostalgia reasons. Followed by the amiga one. Spectrum coming now and then the renewed c64 book.

Im not sure if i still like/need them, similar to all this stuff.

Another terrible idea despite meeting their goal. Polycade , raspberry pi based at that price ?

Master of the Universe

Another terrible idea despite meeting their goal. Polycade , raspberry pi based at that price ?

The arcade is the ultimate casual gaming experience. Arcades are social, low commitment...

I hate them already :pac: - nothing casual or low commitment about trying to 1cc a shmup...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Ridiculous cost for a Pi based system. For that kind of cost, it'd want to have a pretty kick ass system under the hood, not a Pi!!!

I need to do a Kickstarter. It seems any old shiz will get funded these days.

That just reminded me to remove my friends Kickstarter from my sig. It didn't get funded sadly, which is a shame, as it looked great. (It's a board game)

Jebus, that's expensive and fugly.

Christ thats a horrible looking yolk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It looks somewhere between a blown-up first-gen iPod and a set-piece from Bidmead era Doctor Who. I kinda like it, oddly.

The fact it's run by Nolan Bushnell's kids makes me curious about a number of things.

Master of the Universe

I quite like that one. Reckon it'd look better if he managed to fit a stick with a shorter shaft though.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I quite like that one. Reckon it'd look better if he managed to fit a stick with a shorter shaft though.

Agreed dimension for the stick seems wrong

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1836573872/pixel-vision-the-handmade-portable-game-system?ref=NewsDec0315&utm_campaign=Dec+03&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

Swedish designer Love Hultén calls Pixel Vision a "link between the present and the past, and a tribute to gaming." Each foldable, jewel-like gamer is handmade from walnut, and can store up to 10,000 of your favorite vintage games — making it a pocketable portal into gaming’s rich and storied past.

It's beautiful, but it's essentially €450 for a fancy case and screen for a Pi... which lovely as it is, I really couldn't go for! Glad to see he got them funded though!

€450 for a wooden GBA SP with an emulator chucked in?
    No thanks.

Meh, just another collector trophy..

It doesn't look that great to me at all, and its using a cheap Raspberry Pi A+ to run the show!
    I understand its hand made, but look at it, there is no art, no soul, its a box!!

And this is coming from someone who has purchased wooden boxes from Analogue Interactive in the past :)

The lamp talk on the other thread reminded me of this pretty sweet looking lamp i backed on Kickstarter.
    Kind of retro looking, in a way :)

Might interest some people here.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1284726646/the-lampster-a-lamp-with-attitude

xg4SfH1.jpgbx5O1bp.jpg

bzmuNHZ.jpgoWQBmdc.jpg

FYoj3Wv.jpg

• Advertisement

You just made me spend 200 quid with that post.

So cool..

You just made me spend 200 quid with that post.

So cool..

Your welcome :)
    I really like the look of it.

Yeh it looks brilliant, which one did you go for?

Steve scan it in and print me one will ya?

Yeh it looks brilliant, which one did you go for?

Went for the artsy red one and rusty type army green. I prefer the messy speckled look rather than pure clean colours they have.

Went for the artsy red one and rusty type army green. I prefer the messy speckled look rather than pure clean colours they have.

Yeh I got the arty red one too. Hard to decide between that and the army but I wasn't getting two haha

I guess they email you when it's finished to see what one you want ?

Yeh I got the arty red one too. Hard to decide between that and the army but I wasn't getting two haha

I guess they email you when it's finished to see what one you want ?

Yeah, they'll just send out a form or something.

I see Sam Dyers next visual compendium book(compendium 4) will be on the NES/Famicom.
    Cant wait for that one(and hopefully some nice optional extras/rewards), but I'd say it will be a good few months before it hits kickstarter as he might be doing the addon/update book for the C64 first.

So now we have another 'retro console', this one is based on a Pi2 and looks to be running emulation-station, selling point of this is that it has a cd drive to play isos.
    Basic one is €149..

• Advertisement

So now we have another 'retro console', this one is based on a Pi2 and looks to be running emulation-station, selling point of this is that it has a cd drive to play isos.
    Basic one is €149..

I think I seen that on retrocollect. Supports the Amiga CD32 discs I think which caught my eye.
    Still, it's all just the same emulators wrapped in different boxes these days :0/

Not game related, though there are games of it, but it is Retro-ish. and its awesome. had my eye on this for a while, was only available for pre-order in Asia up until recently, but they setup this indiegogo to promote sales outside europe. its available in a few US online places but this is the cheapest ive seen it so far. it floats!

hdd6h0rqqnwybx27pvou.jpg

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/1-20-delorean-time-machine-magnetic-levitating-ver/x/4356128#/

Edit: Actually this may not be appropriate for this forum the more i think about it, please delete if you think it doesnt belong here, thanks.

Not game related, though there are games of it, but it is Retro-ish. and its awesome. had my eye on this for a while, was only available for pre-order in Asia up until recently, but they setup this indiegogo to promote sales outside europe. its available in a few US online places but this is the cheapest ive seen it so far. it floats!

hdd6h0rqqnwybx27pvou.jpg

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/1-20-delorean-time-machine-magnetic-levitating-ver/x/4356128#/

Edit: Actually this may not be appropriate for this forum the more i think about it, please delete if you think it doesnt belong here, thanks.

That's very cool. I think I'll just have to get it, price isnt so bad either.

I think it should stay, no need to remove it. If everything non retro was removed from the forum our "Gets" thread would be half the size it is now :)

Cool, yeh got it myself, its so cool looking, there are "Hoverboards" you can get too, a collection of 5 of them that also float like this on the magnet mirror. they arent on the kickstarter that i can see but if you google them you will find them.

I'd LOVE to get one of those! Saving to get married though and would be found dead in an alley somewhere if I bought that! (though she'd probably keep that particular purchase as it's so damn cool.)

Congratulations on getting married.....Does your fiancé need any suggestions for her hen night? I need to fill up my calendar, want to get some arcade machines this year :p

• Advertisement

Not sure if this is on here yet but....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pine64/pine-a64-first-15-64-bit-single-board-super-comput

The PINE64 CPU is a quad-core ARM A53 64-bit processor that runs at 1.2GHz.

The GPU on the PINE A64 is a dual-core MALI-400 MP2 and runs at 500MHz, capable of 1.1 Gpixel/s throughput. This means the graphics capabilities are slightly higher than the original X-Box's level of performance.

PINE A64 board is powered by the latest 64-bit quad core ARM A53 CPU and delivers up to 20-30% better performance than other 32 bit open source counterparts

The second edition of the bitmap books c64 is up on Kickstarter. Reasonable price as well at 20 sterling with hardback case that fits the first edition along with the second.

The second edition of the bitmap books c64 is up on Kickstarter. Reasonable price as well at 20 sterling with hardback case that fits the first edition along with the second.

I went for the combined new hardback with the game reward myself. I just don't fancy the slipcase option for the book.

Edit:
    Link
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2146199819/commodore-64-a-visual-commpendium-second-edition

I went for the combined new hardback with the game reward myself. I just don't fancy the slipcase option for the book.

Edit:
    Link
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2146199819/commodore-64-a-visual-commpendium-second-edition

Just went for the slipcase upgrade myself, Sam needs to do a bookshelf kickstarter to house all these.

Also sent to my ParcelMotel or £7 to Ireland :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

This just arrived!
    Only 2years and 1 month after its estimated delivery date
    330e743.jpg

This is the wrong one which I originally received way back then.
    auwrd3.jpg

and while waiting for the correct one to show up, this guy showed up and claimed my games room, but he's cool and says I can still keep my machines in his room.
    2zocklt.jpg

*I'm aware Defender wasn't 6buttons/player with a trackball, but that will be rectified some day, please don't put me in the MAME of shame thread, I'm collecting parts to restore and at least it's JAMMA :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement