Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

So is he coming over here to make us all his bitch?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Some weird news on Facebook. John Romero just posted on the Irish game dev page that him and his wife are moving to Ireland to work in the indie game dev scene here.

He's been over here a bit hasnt he? I know he was at a games dev thing in Galway last month (he won the doom tourney..bloke I know came second , which when you're playing Doom against one of the Johns is de-facto first).
    One of his wifes game projects was based on the Famine , so as far as I know thats how they started coming here.
    To be fair , he's part of the team that made Wolfie3d, Doom and Quake , so in fairness anything after that is going to be hard to top. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I mean sure look. Doom is available. On everything from iPods to PCs. So Y'know John Romero shOulsl berespectemd for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,954 ✭✭✭Doge

I mean sure look. Doom is available. On everything from iPods to PCs. So Y'know John Romero shOulsl berespectemd for that.

To John Romero! ;)

toasts_3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just saw an ad on a local facebook buy and sell for some mega drive games. Good games too, golden axe 1 and 2, strider, shinobi and a few others. For 20quid it was a good bargain.

Messaged the seller and she withdrew the ad. Said she wanted 35 for them instead...ok...ill.be a nice fella and pay the 35.....10 mins later. Her "friend" who she was selling them for decided to put them on ebay for 150 when she realized how cheap she was selling them for

I ****ing hate people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Greedy cow, they'll be on Ebay for a long time at €150...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

That is literally the exact same thing I said

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You could have wound up with Golden Axe and its sequel, consider it a lucky escape!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

anyone played this ? it's for IOS/Android. heaps of fun I must say for a quick one in the jacks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Tchoin

LongZ wrote: »
    anyone played this ? it's for IOS/Android. heaps of fun I must say for a quick one in the jacks :)

Looks pretty interesting, thanks! I'll give it a try.

• Advertisement

Iron Maiden have release a game to promo their new album.

http://speedoflight.ironmaiden.com/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Old fogey rant no. 103

I still get annoyed when I see the reverence that is held up to the original Crash Bandicoot. Had a message on facebook yesterday saying that Crash Bandicoot, one of the greatest games of all time, was 19 years old today. The game is alright, nothing more with some horrendous crimes against game design in later levels. I'll admit for the time it was an amazing technical achievement.

I can kind of get why people like it so much though. If you grew up with the playstation there weren't really that many good platformers when it was released (later on it was severely outclassed). Your choice was between this and the ****ty Pandemonium. It's kind of the same thing with Crash Team Racing, a game that is for some reason now considered better than Mario Kart by miscreants. I guess Naughty Dog's success lately has kind of legitimised it in some way as well but people don't remember that the same Naughty Dog created the outwoegeous Rings of Power and the 3DO's Way of the Warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

never liked it ... nor Banjo Kazooie and ANY of it's clones to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I think The Last of Us is the only Naughty Dog game I've liked, and even then it had huge problems that stopped me from loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,517 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

DinoRex wrote: »
    I think The Last of Us is the only Naughty Dog game I've liked, and even then it had huge problems that stopped me from loving it.

The boob cheat in Rings of Power on the Megadrive is one of their finest achievements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The person pushing Crash as an awesome title may well be 19 themselves!
    Way of the Warrior, I had that and it was dreadful.
    Crash isn't sh1te, but it isn't Mario 64 either, its not even Spyro, that at least was a proper attempt at a 3D platformer.
    As said though, much improvements in Crash 2 and 3, with the latter being really good.
    Crash Team Racing was decent but Speed Freaks better and the less said about the Crash titles since then the better, though they weren't Naughty Dog games.
    They were supplanted by the likes of Jak & Daxter, again by Naughty Dog, though even then they just wrung the series for all it was worth to the point that after a decent first game they made a "built by committee" second and third title, and its been irrelevant ever since.
    I fear Uncharted might be the same, the second was my favourite, getting rid of the dreadful motion controls and adding to the spectacle, but the third one is just more of the same.
    The Last of Us was a triumph, in narrative terms, but the gameplay was forgettable, with an I'll placed cover shooter for its final act.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jak 1 was good for an early PS2 title but Jak 2 is absolute pish. They went the whole GTA thing and it's just a really poor game with horrible difficulty spikes.

It's actually fun to see what the playstation generation think of the games they played. There's a youtuber Caddicarus who is only 20 and does most of his reviews on PS1 titles. I nearly always disagree with his assessment on a game but his stuff is still worth watching and you can see why he likes a title even if you don't agree with him. His sketches are annoying at times but unlike other youtubers they are over in a few seconds and not dragged out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

LongZ wrote: »
    nor Banjo Kazooie
    Banjo as a character I think is kinda cute with his "guh-huh". As a game, I even found it really hard to watch playthoughs.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The person pushing Crash as an awesome title may well be 19 themselves!. Crash isn't sh1te, but it isn't Mario 64 either, its not even Spyro, that at least was a proper attempt at a 3D platformer.
    +1 I definitely agree with that.
    Crash Bash I kinda had fun with but I haven't played it since the last time when I was a kid.
    It's actually fun to see what the playstation generation think of the games they played. There's a youtuber Caddicarus who is only 20 and does most of his reviews on PS1 titles.
    He's 21, I his birthday was exactly 2 weeks after mine URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9yMwBZSLP4"]link[/URL, not much of a difference I know.
    Jak 1 was good for an early PS2 title
    Speaking of that game, is there a difference between the Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank?
    I liked the first of both but afterwards whatever ones I played all felt exactly the same and I couldn't actually finish them

Ratchet and Clank is made by the Spyro guys. It's more of a 3rd person shooter with platform elements. I really don't get the love for that series either. Found all the games I played boring and the humour was on the level of fart jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I've only played the Ratchet and Clank games on the PS3, but I enjoyed them all a lot... (Think I passed on All4One though.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Pandemonium was muck alright.

Ratchet and Clank i played a bit, good range of weapons but a bit childish.

Jak 1 i completed on the playstation 2 and platinumed on PS3, great game.
    Agreed Jak 2 was ****e in the bucket.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Pandemonium was muck alright.

Ratchet and Clank i played a bit, good range of weapons but a bit childish.

Jak 1 i completed on the playstation 2 and platinumed on PS3, great game.
    Agreed Jak 2 was ****e in the bucket.

hqdefault.jpg

I personnaly think Crash Bandicoot is a classic game, I'd rather play it over spyro too. Far more action with a faster pace.

Ratchet and Clank used a lot of the same underpinnings as Jak & Daxter, but they didn't mess up the series like J&D did.
    Insomniac stuck with the franchise right up to the present day, while Naughty Dog fell into obscurity.....

They sadly also made the browniest product in videogame history with the Resistance franchise, somehow convincing Sony to let them make loads of them, and never making a decent one, and never developing their colour palette beyond brown, raw umber and burnt sienna.

I really don't get the point of reddit.

Ratchet and Clank series were excellent on the PS2, thoroughly enjoyed them all, more so than the Jak series.

R&C were far more consistent, and happier to be what they were, a fun techno themed action platformer.
    J&D started out well, in my opinion, but kept looking over its shoulder at the other games in vogue at the time, such as GTA3, and insisted on integrating them in, and it didn't end well!
    The dark and moody story telling didn't suit either, while the original kept it light, though les s of a cartoon than Crash.
    Crash was more of a 2.5D Banjo Kazooie, and that's not a bad thing tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

anyone know if you can watch your recorded tv shows/films on Sky Go?

anyone know if you can watch your recorded tv shows/films on Sky Go?

Don't think so but you can record freeview channels on filmon for free and watch them whenever you want.

My poor Colecovision has gone and got fecked up again :(
    Don't think I'll get it fixed again.
    I may stick it up on the Marketplace with the games, if someone braver than I wants a crack at it.

• Advertisement

I told you, you should have invested in rust proofing!

Man these attacks on Jimmy Kimmel really make me despise a lot of the younger gaming generation.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/1/9239695/jimmy-kimmel-gamer-joke-youtube

http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/2/9247231/jimmy-kimmel-gamers-death-threats-youtube

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement