Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bull beef 2019

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭squinn2912

One was 16mts next week
    Second 15.5mts
    3rd 14.5mts
    Haven't calculated the meal quantity yet.
    Worked up to slowly to16kg per head per day since mid April when housed. Were on 2kg high protein mix all winter. They were housed once the bullocks were let out.

You did very well. I got another 4 away this week. U2’s and weighed up to round 400. They came into about £1300 sterling average I’ll look at it later and tell yous. 1.3 tonnes of meal in them and killing round 60/61%
    Aged 14-15 months with one just under 16 ( why I went early with 3)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭johnnyw20

Couldn’t have picked a worse year to do this but these lads are off to the factory tomorrow. I’ll update everyone how they grade etc and how much I get

Have initial price and grade for the 5 bulls. Ave weight 323kg with 3 rs and 2 O+

Think I done well for dairy calves which 2 were bought for €150. Just a pity about the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

johnnyw20 wrote: »
    Have initial price and grade for the 5 bulls. Ave weight 323kg with 3 rs and 2 O+

Think I done well for dairy calves which 2 were bought for €150. Just a pity about the price

If they were FS3's they would have averaged 1175 euro approx if there base was 3.55. If 2+ they be about 25/head less. how much ration did they eat and what were you paying per ton. If you had squeezed them and grassed them for 8 weeks they have weighted 450-480 kgs the start of June and made 850-900/head and no hauling meal. Did they eat 325/head of nuts, bedding another 10/head,. Slaughter and transport would be much the same as Mart and transport.

Slava Ukrainii

If they were FS3's they would have averaged 1175 euro approx if there base was 3.55. If 2+ they be about 25/head less. how much ration did they eat and what were you paying per ton. If you had squeezed them and grassed them for 8 weeks they have weighted 450-480 kgs the start of June and made 850-900/head and no hauling meal. Did they eat 325/head of nuts, bedding another 10/head,. Slaughter and transport would be much the same as Mart and transport.

Fat scores were 3- on two and 3= on two and the other was 2+ but I knew he was a bit under done but time was up on him. They are €310 each in ration.

It was the first time I ever finished animals. I hadn’t the grass or land to graze them for the second summer and if I was to sell them in March/April they would only have made €650/700 odd I’d say going on what others around me sold.

Overall I’m happy with how they turned out tbh. It’s my second year of reading calves as a hobby really as the main enterprise on this farm is horses. I’ve 5 more bulls that I will do u24 months coming up to Christmas and hopefully the price will be better. I didn’t want to go down the route of having bullocks a second winter as I havnt the space for them and I sold 17/18 month old bullocks last year for less than 800 in August and didn’t fancy that again. I reared heifer calves this year so they will he next years project of finishing and learning more about farming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

johnnyw20 wrote: »
    Fat scores were 3- on two and 3= on two and the other was 2+ but I knew he was a bit under done but time was up on him. They are €310 each in ration.

It was the first time I ever finished animals. I hadn’t the grass or land to graze them for the second summer and if I was to sell them in March/April they would only have made €650/700 odd I’d say going on what others around me sold.

Overall I’m happy with how they turned out tbh. It’s my second year of reading calves as a hobby really as the main enterprise on this farm is horses. I’ve 5 more bulls that I will do u24 months coming up to Christmas and [/b] hopefully the price will be better . I didn’t want to go down the route of having bullocks a second winter as I havnt the space for them and I sold 17/18 month old bullocks last year for less than 800 in August and didn’t fancy that again. I reared heifer calves this year so they will he next years project of finishing and learning more about farming.

Your some optimist anyways

Advertisement