Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

jr86 wrote: »
    I see what youre saying Seligehit but I actually think a big City team like Boden is meat and drink to Corofin in Croke Park

It'll be a real dogged and tough team on a mucky and wet pitch who will give them the most bother.

But I actually think Castlebar with Alan Flynn at the helm might be the best bet to be the next team to beat them. IF they can navigate Mayo next year.

They'll get caught in the Galway championship next year. The flew a little too close to the Sun this year but still managed to come through. I see a few more challanges for them next year.

Fair play to them, best of luck in the remaining games - a serious club with a serious hunger for success, a model for clubs in the rest of the county/country especially when you see the resources at their disposal relative to a lot of other clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Well done Corofin, best of luck in Croker. Making Galway proud (from a south Galway man)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Up the currys

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭threeball

Well done Corofin, best of luck in Croker. Making Galway proud (from a south Galway man)

One step to go before Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Fair play to Corofin. Certainly making hay while the sun shines. It won't last forever for them. Even though it seems that way the past few years. As they said on the OTB special from Corofin last week. They are not winning that much at underage which is being dominated by clubs in or around Galway city with growing populations. Although with the culture there you imagine they will stay very competitive even when they begin to slip from the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

They will surely buy a new set of jerseys

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Corofin won't be beaten in All-Ireland series. Their biggest challengers and tests are in Connacht and their own championship. I won't be surprised if Corofin win their next two games more comfortably than their last 4 games.

Nemo are playing fairly well and of course their own Provincial and All Ireland record is better than Corofins so I'd say they could cause a bit of a minor shock. I certainly wouldnt write them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Nemo are playing fairly well and of course their own Provincial and All Ireland record is better than Corofins so I'd say they could cause a bit of a minor shock. I certainly wouldnt write them off.

Nemo will have their hand's full winning Munster, Clonmel are a serious outfit and certainly no walkover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

kippy wrote: »
    They'll get caught in the Galway championship next year. The flew a little too close to the Sun this year but still managed to come through. I see a few more challanges for them next year.

Fair play to them, best of luck in the remaining games - a serious club with a serious hunger for success, a model for clubs in the rest of the county/country especially when you see the resources at their disposal relative to a lot of other clubs.[/QUOTE]

this bit in bold annoys me considering that corofin is a huge parish incompassing belclare and corofin with top class facilities in corofin and astroturf pitch at Canavan's in belcare. They are sponsored by western hygiene who aren't short of a bob and they sole focus is football.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

cosatron wrote: »

Fair play to them, best of luck in the remaining games - a serious club with a serious hunger for success, a model for clubs in the rest of the county/country especially when you see the resources at their disposal relative to a lot of other clubs.[/QUOTE]

this bit in bold annoys me considering that corofin is a huge parish incompassing belclare and corofin with top class facilities in corofin and astroturf pitch at Canavan's in belcare. They are sponsored by western hygiene who aren't short of a bob and they sole focus is football.

Canavans in Belclare is a pub and shop, not an astro turf pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Not sure about that, Tuam were riding a bit of a wave this year, but I don't think they'll be fully contenders next year. their under 20s lost to Ballygar at the weekend they're still in a bit of crisis at underage. they were in relegation last year and a final this year, their real level is probably somewhere in the middle

Salthill aren't there yet and CG will be without Danny Cummins. Mbellew might be the best bet
    Fair play to Corofin. Certainly making hay while the sun shines. It won't last forever for them. Even though it seems that way the past few years. As they said on the OTB special from Corofin last week. They are not winning that much at underage which is being dominated by clubs in or around Galway city with growing populations. Although with the culture there you imagine they will stay very competitive even when they begin to slip from the top.

Yeah haven't even won a North board minor since 2012 or North Board under 21 since 2014. Its a barren enough spell for a club of their stature.

I think 2014 was their 5th North Board under 21 title in a row or something mad like that, but nothing since

Yeah they must have the largest geographical area after Athenry and Claregalway but open to correction on that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

Frozen Veg wrote: »

Canavans in Belclare is a pub and shop, not an astro turf pitch.

ok belcare gaa pitch which is 210m from canavans.

They are a small club in relative terms to many of the clubs they come up against outside of Galway and they would have the same issues as a lot of clubs with dual players and players being lost to other sports etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

They're not a small club though. Their pick is very large and they get others in from other areas, such as hurling clubs, based on profile rather than going with a club based closer to them. Every time we met them at all grades through the years you'd have teams struggling to get 16 or 17 together with Corofin having 28 involved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Would be a major shock not minor. Let's compared the two in recent history.

Nemo Rangers last 20 years, 1 All Ireland and that was won 16 years ago.

Munster titles if they win next Sunday it will only be their 3rd provincial title in 12 years.

Corofin just after winning 4 in a row Connacht titles. Aiming for 3 in a row All Ireland titles and currently 5/6 in odds to do so.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    They're not a small club though. Their pick is very large and they get others in from other areas, such as hurling clubs, based on profile rather than going with a club based closer to them. Every time we met them at all grades through the years you'd have teams struggling to get 16 or 17 together with Corofin having 28 involved
    Read my post

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

They're not a small club though. Their pick is very large and they get others in from other areas, such as hurling clubs, based on profile rather than going with a club based closer to them.

Are you on about Daithi Burke? His links to Corofin are a lot deeper than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

Hi all, I want to get my nephew a Galway jersey for Christmas. Does anyone know if they are releasing a new jersey for 2020 or if it will be the same version as 2019?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

donnem33 wrote: »
    Hi all, I want to get my nephew a Galway jersey for Christmas. Does anyone know if they are releasing a new jersey for 2020 or if it will be the same version as 2019?

Doubt it will change. Was rumoured that Comer Brothers may have been sponsoring the front of the jersey but doesn't look to be real.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

donnem33 wrote: »

This year was the first year with the new jersey so can't see a new one being released until this time next year at the earliest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

jr86 wrote: »
    Not sure about that, Tuam were riding a bit of a wave this year, but I don't think they'll be fully contenders next year. their under 20s lost to Ballygar at the weekend they're still in a bit of crisis at underage. they were in relegation last year and a final this year, their real level is probably somewhere in the middle

Salthill aren't there yet and CG will be without Danny Cummins. Mbellew might be the best bet

Yeah haven't even won a North board minor since 2012 or North Board under 21 since 2014. Its a barren enough spell for a club of their stature.

I think 2014 was their 5th North Board under 21 title in a row or something mad like that, but nothing since

Yeah they must have the largest geographical area after Athenry and Claregalway but open to correction on that

Bit harsh on Tuam there. They have something to build on this year and while their U20's were beaten, Ben O'Connell looks a serious prospect.

Dont think Claregalway would have featured too prominently even if they had Cummins.

Are you on about Daithi Burke? His links to Corofin are a lot deeper than that!

Not at all, I can think of 4 separate lads that played underage all the way up that are from hurling areas and could have gone to other clubs. Not including the two Burkes who have strong ties obv

Only 1 double header for the footballers and hurlers in the league next year (mundane enough one at that). Really annoying how they can't find a way to join a few more of these up. If Galway win their hurling group they look to have a home league semi final that would probably be played as a double header with Galway Mayo on March 15th. That would be a great day out but unlikely at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Only 1 double header for the footballers and hurlers in the league next year (mundane enough one at that). Really annoying how they can't find a way to join a few more of these up. If Galway win their hurling group they look to have a home league semi final that would probably be played as a double header with Galway Mayo on March 15th. That would be a great day out but unlikely at this point

The Mayo crowd would be cribbing over the ticket allocation

I says wrote: »
    The Mayo crowd would be cribbing over the ticket allocation

So would the Galway crowd I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

So would the Galway crowd I'd say.
    Not at all let all those who voted against keady in 89 whinge all they want. Mayo winning an AI is as far away now as since they last won it.

I says wrote: »
    Not at all let all those who voted against keady in 89 whinge all they want.

That entire incident highlighted a huge flaw in the governance of the GAA that still hasn't been addressed. The idea that a County playing in the 5th Tier of Hurling has the same voice as a Liam McCarthy team is non-sensical.

Highlighted also how some will make decisions against supposed neighbors/friends based on nothing other than sheer jealousy and spite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

The people that make the fixtures must think the hurling fraternity love going to f***ing Waterford also. Jesus seriously we must of played them nearly every year down there in the last six or seven years. One we had to turn around and come home after it was cancelled an hour before throw in.

• Advertisement

The people that make the fixtures must think the hurling fraternity love going to f***ing Waterford also. Jesus seriously we must of played them nearly every year down there in the last six or seven years. One we had to turn around and come home after it was cancelled an hour before throw in.

Last year was in Waterford, didnt play in 2018 and 2017 was in Salthill, you must be going down there for something else :D

In all seriousness though, the cnstant changing of league formats has undoubtedly caused annomalies like this and is kind of unavoidable.

Advertisement