Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound Waste Thread - MOD WARNING in Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

If you sign up for the €99 deal, you don't have to stay with them after the year. Hopefully this will kick the others into a competitive mode.
    Signed up to the €99 deal on Monday night, got my "welcome pack" in the post last night and bins magically appeared outside the door this morning. They were left neatly beside our current bins, no noise when they were dropped off. The welcome pack contained the collection timetables and a form to fill out to tell greyhound to take their bins back (free post envelope also included). Impressed so far.

P.S. the 3 (grey, green and brown) are all the larger (240L?) size

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Signed up to the €99 deal on Monday night, got my "welcome pack" in the post last night and bins magically appeared outside the door this morning. They were left neatly beside our current bins, no noise when they were dropped off. The welcome pack contained the collection timetables and a form to fill out to tell greyhound to take their bins back (free post envelope also included). Impressed so far.

P.S. the 3 (grey, green and brown) are all the larger (240L?) size

Does it say in the welcome pack, if there are other options after the year? Euro 15 a month including standing charge and lifts is one of them, I guess.

But I can't see any details about a 'pay per lift' option, the information on their website is a bit vague, it doesn't mention anything about a standing charge.

I have the brown one out every six weeks, the black one maybe every two months, just the green one goes every two weeks, that's why pay per lift might be the best option for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

<mod snip - quote removed>

Just heard about that from Cllr Criona Ni Dhalaigh. I wonder what they will do with people like me, I have a green in for recycling and buy tags for the sacks of rubbish. I only put out the plastic sacks once or twice a month, as do many of my neighbours. I bet they are trying to figure out a way to charge us for the green collection.

Sent: 07 December 2012 14:46
    To:
    Subject: Greyhound Recycling Bags - Day light Robbery

A chara

I t has brought to my attention that Greyhound are going to charge 9 euro for a roll of six clear bags and after the 7th Dec 2012 are refusing to collect any recycling that is not packed in greyhound bags.

I have written to Greyhound to express my disgust and bafflement at Greyhound levying what it essentially an unofficial tax on recycling in its catchment areas. This is nothing less than blatant profiteering. It will also serve an adverse environmental purpose and encourage people to send recyclable material to the landfill.

I will keep you updated on this matter.

Le dea ghuí
    Críona

Lars1916 wrote: »

Does it say in the welcome pack, if there are other options after the year? Euro 15 a month including standing charge and lifts is one of them, I guess.

But I can't see any details about a 'pay per lift' option, the information on their website is a bit vague, it doesn't mention anything about a standing charge.

I have the brown one out every six weeks, the black one maybe every two months, just the green one goes every two weeks, that's why pay per lift might be the best option for me?
    Nope, nothing about what happens after the year is up. I think there is something on their website? There is no obligation to stay with them after the year if their prices are not competitive.

Nope, nothing about what happens after the year is up. I think there is something on their website? There is no obligation to stay with them after the year if their prices are not competitive.

If you start signing up, you are asked for your current location. What came up for me was the 99 Euro special offer, and the 15 Euro/month offer. But I didn't mind anything about an additional standing charge for option No 2.

I guess, the main problem for me is, that Greyhound don't do refunds, when you cancel their service, and the 99 Euro offer might be gone, when my first year with Greyhound expires in January or when my account is empty :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Garlic Suplmnt

I knew charges for the green bin were on the horizon as soon as GreyPound took over, surprised it took them this long to roll them out. The main result of this will be a lot of recyclables ending up in the landfill, as someone said above. I would sooner eat my recyclables than further line their scummy, greasy palms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I had been waiting for a way out of the Greyhound handcuffs for a while, and signed up with City Bin last week. I've sent back the form for switching from Greyhound, but I'm a bit worried about Greyhound having my payment details given how sneaky they are. Does anyone know what the contract says about renewal of the agreement? I'm worried that Greyhound will debit my card before or after they get the cancellation notice.

EDIT: BTW, I abandoned about 20 or 30 euro of prepaid credit with Greyhound. The saving will be immediate and I am glad to be shot of them and their sharp practises.

If you start signing up, you are asked for your current location. What came up for me was the 99 Euro special offer, and the 15 Euro/month offer. But I didn't mind anything about an additional standing charge for option No 2.

I guess, the main problem for me is, that Greyhound don't do refunds, when you cancel their service, and the 99 Euro offer might be gone, when my first year with Greyhound expires in January or when my account is empty :confused:
    How much do you have left invested in greyhound? (Standing charge + credit). If you add that to the €99 is it above or below what you'd pay greyhound in jan or €220 for Oxigen? If its below cut your losses and switch.

Greyhound can't use your payment details without your authorisation. Maybe write to your bank informing them to stop any payments to greyhound. CC the letter to greyhound (and if you want to be doubly certain send it by registered post). Even if greyhound took the money is there a cooling off period with the new contract?

How much do you have left invested in greyhound? (Standing charge + credit). If you add that to the €99 is it above or below what you'd pay greyhound in jan or €220 for Oxigen? If its below cut your losses and switch.

Greyhound can't use your payment details without your authorisation. Maybe write to your bank informing them to stop any payments to greyhound. CC the letter to greyhound (and if you want to be doubly certain send it by registered post). Even if greyhound took the money is there a cooling off period with the new contract?

I have around 100 quid left with Greyhound, some automatic top up and the 'special offer' with half the standing charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

why do people keep saying they lost their money when they leave GH

from their T&C's

10.5 Any credit balance in the Customer’s account will be forfeit and will not be refunded in the event that the contract is terminated by the Customer within the 12 month period.

• Advertisement

I have around 100 quid left with Greyhound, some automatic top up and the 'special offer' with half the standing charge.
    So the cost of citybins to you would be €199. Still less than Oxigens €220/€240. How much would greyhound cost you? (Would the €100 carry over into the next year and reduce the actual cost of greyhound?)

So the cost of citybins to you would be €199. Still less than Oxigens €220/€240. How much would greyhound cost you? (Would the €100 carry over into the next year and reduce the actual cost of greyhound?)

I think, I pay depending on how many lifts I have. But if they charge fir the green bin as well, it will be much more, since this is the one, I put out every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

why do people keep saying they lost their money when they leave GH

from their T&C's

10.5 Any credit balance in the Customer’s account will be forfeit and will not be refunded in the event that the contract is terminated by the Customer within the 12 month period.

Because in most cases, it's true. Some people might be entitled to get a refund if they cancel their service contract in writing, outside of the 12 months, whch is in January for most people, but I bet it won't be easily refunded. Anyone who cancels before then, forfeits any credit. People who take up the GH offer, or choose a new plan with GH are effectively signing a new contract for 12 months without even knowing it.

GH is a rotten company and the oily snake practices are becoming known by the general public, more and more. Illegal dumping of hundred of thousands of tonnes of waste and lying to their customers is just the tip of the ice-berg.

January and February will be interesting to watch when most people realise they've just been ripped off after their bins have not been collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

Had elected to opt for Greyhounds €29.00 per month 3 x bins with no weight restrictions. Received an introductory offer from City Bin, all 3 bins no weight restrictions for a full year €99.00 an offer I could not resist. After this the current offer would be €15 per month with an annual max weight on the black bin of 500 kg. City bin will forward monthly info during first year which should give me a pretty good insight into the amount of waste I produce and whether I will face excess charges next year.
    As they promised City Bin delivered my new bins within days and will start collecting on the next collection day following delivery of said bins.
    I requested information by email from City Bin on 3 occasions during my decision period. They responded promptly answering my questions without hesitation.
    Their website is excellent and miles ahead of Greyhounds providing the reader with all relevant information including how and by whom the weighting equipment on their trucks is checked and certified, ps its the NSAI. unlike Greyhound who elected to refuse to answer the same question. I would say their bins seem less robust than Greyhounds but this may be part of their efforts to keep prices down and I believe they have a responsibility to me as their customer to strive to do so.
    So far well done City Bin.

Hitbit,
    Whitehall
    Dublin 9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I've checked out City Bin as well. They don't service our area yet but once they do I'll definitely consider switching.

I'm disgusted with the 'SOB's who carried out this little bit of arson: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/six-bin-lorries-torched-in-attack-3327193.html

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

hitbit wrote: »
    Had elected to opt for Greyhounds €29.00 per month 3 x bins with no weight restrictions. Received an introductory offer from City Bin, all 3 bins no weight restrictions for a full year €99.00 an offer I could not resist. After this the current offer would be €15 per month with an annual max weight on the black bin of 500 kg. City bin will forward monthly info during first year which should give me a pretty good insight into the amount of waste I produce and whether I will face excess charges next year.
    As they promised City Bin delivered my new bins within days and will start collecting on the next collection day following delivery of said bins.
    I requested information by email from City Bin on 3 occasions during my decision period. They responded promptly answering my questions without hesitation.
    Their website is excellent and miles ahead of Greyhounds providing the reader with all relevant information including how and by whom the weighting equipment on their trucks is checked and certified, ps its the NSAI. unlike Greyhound who elected to refuse to answer the same question. I would say their bins seem less robust than Greyhounds but this may be part of their efforts to keep prices down and I believe they have a responsibility to me as their customer to strive to do so.
    So far well done City Bin.

Hitbit,
    Whitehall
    Dublin 9

Sounds good, although pity about the colour of the bins - more of an eyesore outside the home IMHO.

Anyway, a couple of questions for you based upon your CityBin experience.

Did they collect your old bins and dispose of them for you - or is this a service they offer ?
    Do they collect both bins at the same time, or is it staggered like Greyhound ?

I too have signed up for the greyhound no weight limit account for the next year. Starting to think now that I shouldn't have...

One thing is for sure, there is going to be uproar in January once people understand and feel the force of the weight-based lift charges.

Kace wrote: »
    Sounds good, although pity about the colour of the bins - more of an eyesore outside the home IMHO.

Anyway, a couple of questions for you based upon your CityBin experience.

Did they collect your old bins and dispose of them for you - or is this a service they offer ?

I too have signed up for the greyhound no weight limit account for the next year. Starting to think now that I shouldn't have...

One thing is for sure, there is going to be uproar in January once people understand and feel the force of the weight-based lift charges.

I can tell you that City Bin do not collect your old GH bins, but they do provide a form with a freepost envelope to complete and return for cancelling your GH account. Sorry to hear GH have you trapped for another year.

They collect at the same time to the best of my knowledge. I believe their trucks are designed to take all 3 bins at the same time, using a triple chamber container.

How much did GH charge you for the year? It's different for everyone as we now know.

I agree that the red bins are hideous, but it's certainy one of the best ways for the company to stand out.

GH are in for some serious flack come Jan/Feb. I've told as many people as possible and every single person has switched that i've told personally. I've told most of my clients too, so it's well over 50 confirmed switched that I know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I was just onto GH having heard nothing from my email last week.

The girl I spoke to told me that you can cancel from 31st Dec 12 and as per their T&C 10.5 can get a refund.

When I said I was wanting to cancel I was suddenly asked if I want her to see if she could get me a better deal.
    Funny how they are now taking this line when they wouldn't budge all along.

Anyway I need to wait a few days for her to come back to me...but no guarantees.

If not, its Oxigen for 3 months until CB are in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭dave13

How do you know when Citibin are arriving in your area?

Kace wrote: »

No part of your welcome pack is a form for you to fill out instructing GH to remove their bins. There is a free post envelope as well.
    No, it's green and brown last week and grey/black this week. Or at least that's how they do it in my area. You can opt for a reminder text the night before to tell you which bin to put out.

• Advertisement

Just correcting the above statement, which reads incorrectly.
    No. Part of your welcome pack is a form for you to fill out instructing GH to remove their bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

I was just onto GH having heard nothing from my email last week.

The girl I spoke to told me that you can cancel from 31st Dec 12 and as per their T&C 10.5 can get a refund.

When I said I was wanting to cancel I was suddenly asked if I want her to see if she could get me a better deal.
    Funny how they are now taking this line when they wouldn't budge all along.

Anyway I need to wait a few days for her to come back to me...but no guarantees.

If not, its Oxigen for 3 months until CB are in my area.

Not sure I understand the logic quoted to you.

Why would you want to cancel from 31st Dec 2012 ? Does this imply that your original contract started 12 months earlier on 31st Dec 2011 ?

Also - have you checcked T&C 10.5. It states the opposite to what you say above.

I am currently in credit about €260 as I have paid for the following year - which will start on 1st Jan 2013. The more I think about it the more I think I should just cancel on Friday after my black bin lift, request a full refund and head over to CityBin (assuming they have some trucks left).

Might give them a call tomorrow to check the conditions / any restrictions on a refund.

goz83 wrote: »
    Just correcting the above statement, which reads incorrectly.
    Lol yes that's what I meant. Ashamed that I let that slip! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

Rang Greyhound earlier to get a feel for what I would be paying under the plan 1 scheme/scam. The girl told me that my last lift was 42 kg....bringing my bin charge up from 4.60 to approx 10 Euro under the new charges, with that I told her I would be switching to another provider. Switched to City Bin today.

My neighbour is a bin man with Greyhound, he told me that he is fearing for his job come the New Year, such is the level of customer loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭BennytheBall

I've had enough of them - end of my tether. (Greyhound)

I'm on the infamous pay per lift plan (.33c or 33c) - and suddenly in the last month the weight of my black bins seems to have doubled. I've no way of verifying but I cant find any logic as to why there is such an increase in my black bin weights recently..

In Kilos (most recent first)
    90, 46, 83, 32, 67, 24, 29, 31, 44, 50, 27, 40, 54, 44, 50, 53, 38, 43

By and large, my bin goes out full and contains the same sort of stuff. Suddenly I've had a 90 and 83 kilo recently since they put me on this plan and I've no way of challenging it. The 90 kilo one cost me 29 euro.

I rang them today and asked if they could offer me a better pay per lift deal and they said if I wrote to them advising that I wanted to cancel the account unless I got a better deal they would "almost certainly offer me something".

That said, I will be placing an order with Thorntons shortly despite having only paid my annual fee of 60 euro to Greyhound in October.

Anyone else feel they are being shafted on weights recently or just me?

Ouch. The average weight, excluding the 2 highest lifts is €42kg. Each black bin lift is costing you an average of €13.86 and your annual fee on top. You dont say how often you put your bin out, but assuming it's every 2 weeks (you had 18 weights listed), your annual bill would be over (figure amanded in later post) on your black bin alone. That's also assuming an average weight of 42kg per lift, but I did not include the 2 heavier ones, which would have brought the average up. Good call switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭BennytheBall

I'm a bit slow today - how did you arrive at 1100+...

13.86 * 2 * 12 + 60 euro annual fee = 332 euro

Yes, I put it out fortnightly.

:o

I don't know how I made that mistake tbh. I can't recreate it. Must have been a mistake, pressing an extra button on the calculator.

I have revisted the numbers and they are as follows (GH collect 26 times per year)

42kg @ 0.33c per kilo = €13.86 x 26 = €360.36 + €60 = €420.36 per year.

Now, your actual average weight using the numbers posted by you is just under 47kg. That's another €25 for the extra kilos over the year. Thanks for spotting that mess...I will amend that post above.

I wonder could you weigh the bins yourself using one of those luggage weighing yokes with the hook? You put the hook around the handle and lift it by the thingy and a dial tells you the weight… Dunno if they'd be strong enough?

• Advertisement

Most of those baggage scales only hold about 30kg and not much more. I reckon they would likely break if more weight was hung on one.

Advertisement