Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound Waste Thread - MOD WARNING in Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Plus, it looks like you were given the current Greyhound prices. The new ones from January is what all the fuss is about. They are much higher for most of us. Good call switching provider.

Thanks to a very kind member, I have been able to ask one of the Greyhound bosses a question, or two. Message copied to DCC manager and to Phil Hogan and my local FG TD Terence Flanagan. The email:

Dear Mr Paul Moloney,

I am writing to you for the purpose of seeking clarity on the new Greyhound fees and proposed price plans. To keep this to the point, I would like to focus only on my my local area, which is Dublin 13.

I received a letter in October outlining new plans from January next year. The letter outlined four different plans and the default plan, which was selected for me is Plan 1. After some simple calculations, I discovered that Plan 1 would bring my domestic waste charges from less than €300 to almost €800 per year. So, it would seem that the recommended plan was a very poor choice. I would like you to answer some simple questions, if you can.

1. Are different households in the same post code availing of different prices for the upfront annual payment and the monthly payment plans? If yes, why?

2. Has everyone been given Plan 1 as the default plan?

3. Why, when I have requested on two occasions to speak with a supervisor have I been told that the supervisor was "away in Dublin", or "in a meeting"? I have received no calls back either.

4. Why are customers being recommened Plan 1, when in many cases, there is no history of their bin lift weights?

5. Why are Greyhound Recycling advertising excess weight rates at ".33c" and ".24c" per additional kilo, when the actual excesses are 100 times the advertised rates at 24c and 33c per kilo?

6. Can you outline what you are doing for those who were exempt from annual charges? Are you now charging these customers an annual fee?

I have switched my services to Oxigen, but my questions are still valid and I am technically still a Greyhound customer, as I have €5 left on my account, which Greyhound will not refund. I intend to use the remaining credit on Brown Bin collections before cancelling my account and availing of a full service from Oxigen. Your answers will be much appreciated. A previous response to TD Terence Flanagan from Greyhound Recycling did nothing to alleviate concerns and were in fact, total lies.

Regards,

snip my name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I got this reply from them today when asking could we get a better option.
    Being offered a pay per lift, a 2 bin monthly option (never have used 2 bins ) and the pay per weight.

I quote
    "Your options were based on your usage of the bins. Greyhound took time and did a lot of research to make plans more flexible and suited toward each customer. If you know neighbours that were offered a cheaper price ,they must use their bins less than yourself or maybe they use the recycling bin more than the black bin. Bin weight also plays a part.

I cannot change you to the €15 a month option because it is not in your choices. I apologise for any inconvenience caused. If you have any more queries don’t hesitate to contact me by email."

We had 4 weights recorded in 12 lifts.
    It also appears they include the weight of the bin in the calculation.:eek:

I've replied asking the following
    1. the weight of the bin
    2. why i am being charged the weight of the bin
    3. how they know my history since they dont weight the bins
    4. why i am being charged more for collections than neighbours who put out less waste.
    5. are the trucks calibrated by the NSAI and have they proof of calibration.

wait and see.:confused:

More confirmation that your next door neighbour could be getting charged half, or double what you're paying, based on often non existing weight calculations. I wondered if they also charge for the weight of the bin, which would in itself be a few kilos. Maybe 5, or 6? That's nearly €2 per lift extra if so. Tatranska, did they email you this, or send it in a letter?

You could send it to phil.hogan@oireachtas.ie but don't hold your breath for a reply. I've sent him 3 emails and received two confirmations from his secretary, but nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Including the weight of the bin is an outrageous scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pg17

Apart from Greyhound and Oxigen what other companies provide a service in the Dublin 11 areas of Glasnevin and Finglas ?

I'm afraid I can't find another provider in north city. Southside have more options. They can pick greyhound, oxigen and thorntons with Ozo collecting again in the fingal areas.

goz83 wrote: »
    More confirmation that your next door neighbour could be getting charged half, or double what you're paying, based on often non existing weight calculations. I wondered if they also charge for the weight of the bin, which would in itself be a few kilos. Maybe 5, or 6? That's nearly €2 per lift extra if so. Tatranska, did they email you this, or send it in a letter?

You could send it to phil.hogan@oireachtas.ie but don't hold your breath for a reply. I've sent him 3 emails and received two confirmations from his secretary, but nothing more.

It was an email

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ranmac

Comment as hereunder noted:

"I am concerned, have mailed them and am awaiting a reply,as to whether the weighting equipment on their vehicles is to subject to inspection and certification by any statutory body so as to ensure excess weights are calculated and charged correctly. After all I like most people have no way of weighting my bin prior to presenting it for collection. Neither do I have any way of disputing any excess claimed and charged by Greyhound which means I am at the mercy of Greyhound who could apply any charge they feel like. This is improper and in my opinion Greyhound should not be allowed introduce this system until such time as their customers are protected from incorrect weight calculation and thus overcharging. Perhaps this is a matter for Dublin City Council who came to in my opinion a somewhat dubious and secretive arrangement with Greyhound. Other interested providers seemed to have been swept aside. I wonder why."

Perhaps someone should raise the matter of legislative compliance with 'weights and measures' as required and as set out at http://www.nsai.ie/About-NSAI/Departments/LMS.aspx

Lets all look for sight of certification for each and every pair of measuring equipment on each vehicle

ranmac wrote: »
    Comment as hereunder noted:

"I am concerned, have mailed them and am awaiting a reply,as to whether the weighting equipment on their vehicles is to subject to inspection and certification by any statutory body so as to ensure excess weights are calculated and charged correctly. After all I like most people have no way of weighting my bin prior to presenting it for collection. Neither do I have any way of disputing any excess claimed and charged by Greyhound which means I am at the mercy of Greyhound who could apply any charge they feel like. This is improper and in my opinion Greyhound should not be allowed introduce this system until such time as their customers are protected from incorrect weight calculation and thus overcharging. Perhaps this is a matter for Dublin City Council who came to in my opinion a somewhat dubious and secretive arrangement with Greyhound. Other interested providers seemed to have been swept aside. I wonder why."

Perhaps someone should raise the matter of legislative compliance with 'weights and measures' as required and as set out at http://www.nsai.ie/About-NSAI/Departments/LMS.aspx

Lets all look for sight of certification for each and every pair of measuring equipment on each vehicle

I raised the calibration issue with them and await a reply.

• Advertisement

Just rang and spoke with NSAI regarding certification of weighing mechanism on waste bin collection vehicles in the Dublin City Area. Nice gentleman advised that he has been in regular contact with the waste collection company over certification of the weighing mechanism on their vehicles. Am advised that a certificate MUST be displayed on each mechanism and that certification is 'proceeding'. Am also advised that if anyone has a query they should refer it to the NSAI who will deal with it. So next I have to sort out some way of weighing my bin empty and full and also ask the Company to advise what they calculate the empty weight of my black and brown bins to be. I am gonna try and work out something with my bathroom scales with a light and weight calculated spreader on top under the bin. Wish me luck

I wish you luck. Would a different plan, or indeed a different provider not work out cheaper, or do you have weight history with Greyhound at all?

I wish you luck. Would a different plan, or indeed a different provider not work out cheaper, or do you have weight history with Greyhound at all?

I have a short weight history but feel potential challenges to their claimed weight charges may very well keep them on their toes. I feel the more people that challenge their stated weights the better. Anyway, I am also concerned about something I heard along the grapevine about proposals to apply weight charges to green bin fees. I genuinly believe that the current proposals are just the beginning and that a lot more serious charges are not too far down the line. Thanks for your good luck wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

OK - here's my story. Greyhound communicated a deal last month where you would get a €10 credit for paying €59.95 in advance by end Nov. I did this as I couldn't resist the huge bargain ;-)

Following this thread and the warnings about Plan 1 I checked my letter again. I seem to be one of the lucky ones who has been offered the Plan 3 €250 per year rate with zero weight restrictions. There is also a deal listed on there indicating that if I pay the €229.20 upfront this is all I will need to pay for the year. That seems a good deal considering what some others are being quoted.

I phoned up and changed to Plan 3 and asked asked the girl whether I could use the existing €59 in my account as an offset against the €229 - she said no and indicated that I had to make a payment of EXACTLY €229.20 in order to avail of the offer. The Greyhound systems seem to be coded to look for this payment.

I asked her how I could access my €59 and get it refunded and she said that I couldn't. She said that I could use this against my 2014 charge !!!!

So it appears that there isn't any easy way to get access to the credit balance on my account. I think my best bet will be to pay up the €229 and then go after the refund in writing - as I don't want Greyhound keeping it on there for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Kace wrote: »
    OK - here's my story. Greyhound communicated a deal last month where you would get a €10 credit for paying €59.95 in advance by end Nov. I did this as I couldn't resist the huge bargain ;-)

Following this thread and the warnings about Plan 1 I checked my letter again. I seem to be one of the lucky ones who has been offered the Plan 3 €250 per year rate with zero weight restrictions. There is also a deal listed on there indicating that if I pay the €229.20 upfront this is all I will need to pay for the year. That seems a good deal considering what some others are being quoted.

I phoned up and changed to Plan 3 and asked asked the girl whether I could use the existing €59 in my account as an offset against the €229 - she said no and indicated that I had to make a payment of EXACTLY €229.20 in order to avail of the offer. The Greyhound systems seem to be coded to look for this payment.

I asked her how I could access my €59 and get it refunded and she said that I couldn't. She said that I could use this against my 2014 charge !!!!

So it appears that there isn't any easy way to get access to the credit balance on my account. I think my best bet will be to pay up the €229 and then go after the refund in writing - as I don't want Greyhound keeping it on there for 12 months.

Same thing happened me. I paid the 59euro credit to get the 10euro free credit. And then I got the letter about the different plans. Plan 3 Yearly fixed was 175 with no weight restrictions and special offer of 160 if paid by the end of november.

So I dedided to go for the yearly one for 160 but use my existing credit on my account. They eventually agreed to let me use my existing credit towards the annual plan but they wouldnt give me the 15euro discount, so I paid 175 for the yearly plan. I didnt mind because I had already gained the 10euro credit and at least they were letting me use up my credit.

But it looks like they are making it all up as they go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

I'm afraid I can't find another provider in north city. Southside have more options. They can pick greyhound, oxigen and thorntons with Ozo collecting again in the fingal areas.
    I rang Oxigen and asked if they provide a service in my area and they said they would, I'm north side (D9 Whitehall).

They eventually agreed to let me use my existing credit towards the annual plan but they wouldnt give me the 15euro discount, so I paid 175 for the yearly plan.

You're very lucky. They usually don't give refunds. In a way, they penalised you for having credit on your balance. That's just great customer care isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Same thing happened me. I paid the 59euro credit to get the 10euro free credit. And then I got the letter about the different plans. Plan 3 Yearly fixed was 175 with no weight restrictions and special offer of 160 if paid by the end of november.

So I dedided to go for the yearly one for 160 but use my existing credit on my account. They eventually agreed to let me use my existing credit towards the annual plan but they wouldnt give me the 15euro discount, so I paid 175 for the yearly plan. I didnt mind because I had already gained the 10euro credit and at least they were letting me use up my credit.

Wow !! So you have been offered a full year fixed price collections for €175 (reduced to €160) - that's amazing.

Do you mind me asking where are you living and what is your normal bin history, e.g. do you put out your bin fortnightly or monthly and is it the normal full-size bin ? I'm really curious as to how they decide upon €175 vs €250 vs €300+ across different people. There must be some method to this madness.

I don't have any weight history on the system and my offer is €250. I put out my grey bin once per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We switched the first week we were told we were going to have to deal with them. Oxegen were offering €20 a month flat charges and haven't missed a collection yet (something Greyhound did regularly whilst sub-contracting for DCC), text us the night before collection to remind us to put out the bins and have been good enough to take the bins out for the other half a few times when I'd forgotten to do it.

Pre-pay my bills so a company can have free working capital at my expense? Get to fcuk...

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Kace wrote: »
    Wow !! So you have been offered a full year fixed price collections for €175 (reduced to €160) - that's amazing.

Do you mind me asking where are you living and what is your normal bin history, e.g. do you put out your bin fortnightly or monthly and is it the normal full-size bin ? I'm really curious as to how they decide upon €175 vs €250 vs €300+ across different people. There must be some method to this madness.

I don't have any weight history on the system and my offer is €250. I put out my grey bin once per month.

Hi
    I live in Clongriffin, Dublin 13.
    We have a 240L black bin which we put out every 6 weeks, and a 240L green bin which we put out every 2 weeks.

They have being weighing our bins since september. I dont understand the weights though. The black bin seems to be too light. Our bin is always extremely heavy. So I wouldnt really trust them to be honest about the weights.
    Black bin weights: 21, 29.5, 37.5.
    Green bin weights: 16.5, 3.5, 9, 10, 6.5

I could understand the different pricing structures if they had been keeping a record of lift weights over the last few months and were basing their prices on the weight of peoples waste, but if they are not even weighing some peoples bins, i dont understand it.

• Advertisement

Make up the rules as you go along is the approach I think

• Site Banned Posts: 11 muller21

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coYrhmTXwUE have a look at this.. very interesting footage.. looks like Oxigen aren't all that great at recycling..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Don't think I'd use Greyhound no matter what they charged.

You'd kindof assume that a waste company would comply with legislation regarding disposal of said waste. :(

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1123/1224327011147.html

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Dublin City Council are a disgrace for foisting this crowd on us as the default bin collection provider, having disbanded its own long standing service earlier in the year. Now in today's Irish Times there is a report that
    "An illegal stockpile of more than 1,000 tonnes of municipal waste has been discovered on a Dublin farm by the Environmental Protection Agency...
    The waste being stored on the farm at Hollystown in Dublin 15 is owned by bin collection firm Greyhound. This is the third time since Greyhound took over the waste collection business of Dublin City Council last January that the company has been found storing waste on farms in the greater Dublin area which are not authorised for the storage of waste"

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1123/1224327011147.html

If this is the calibre of operator that Dublin City Council chose to award the lucrative contract to operate household bin collections in the capital, is it surprising that we are now seeing some other dodgy deals being offered to the hapless consumers abandoned DCC earlier in the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Someone told me there's a new cheap waste collection service being advertised on buses, but couldn't remember the name of the company. Anyone know?

That's disgraceful behaviour on the part of Greyhound^. I'm not inclined to continue with them. Must find out how much is left on the card. I don't suppose anyone can tell me who the cheapest provider is for bins (small black, normal size green and brown) put out every 4 weeks, D8? I know I'm lazy! The thought of going through all the phone calls yet again puts me right off.

I think Oxigen also cover D8. AFAIK they do all of Dublin. I don't know what greyhound rates you were given, because it's a lottery as to who gets what rate. But Oxigen do the 140L bins. Their prices are at www.oxigen.ie

A company called thorntons also do South Dublin, so check them out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

www.citybin.ie are offering €99 all-in annual fee to 1st 5000 customers to sign up. Black, Brown and Green bins. No weight restrictions in first year.

If you want to sign up for second year it's €15 per month. You're restricted to 500kg black bin waste a year though. If you go for the €99 deal there's no obligation to stay with them.

Just signed up here, seems like a no-brainer to me!

€99 deal is restricted to first 5000 sign-ups. Bloke on phone said they don't expect the 5000 to go before next week! I found that hard to believe or do people not give a damn?

I think its that people can be skeptical and lazy. 500kg restriction won't work for everyone. My waste with black bin would triple that. What are the excesses?

Edit: They charge 30c per kilo over. That makes them more expensive. I don't believe their 95% claims at all. But if you think you produce less than the 500kg per year, it's a good offer. If your average bin is 65kg, similar to mine, then your bill will be very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

But if you think you produce less than the 500kg per year, it's a good offer. If your average bin is 65kg, similar to mine, then your bill will be very expensive.

My problem (well, one of them) is that Greyhound can't tell me how much my bins weigh because they haven't been weighing them up till now.

I should get a weight for the next bin I put out - but I'll only know the weight of ONE bin and so can't see what the average kind of weight is. And that'll be around Christmas time, so it won't be an average bin. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

My problem (well, one of them) is that Greyhound can't tell me how much my bins weigh because they haven't been weighing them up till now.

I should get a weight for the next bin I put out - but I'll only know the weight of ONE bin and so can't see what the average kind of weight is. And that'll be around Christmas time, so it won't be an average bin. :rolleyes:

If you sign up for the €99 deal, you don't have to stay with them after the year. Hopefully this will kick the others into a competitive mode.

Advertisement