Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym membership direct debit

Options
  • 19-06-2019 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

But if a gym offers a yearly membership that is direct debited from my bank account yearly, is there anything stopping me just cancelling card or having bank reject payments.

I want to sign up but dont want to commit to a year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭mcgragger

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

But if a gym offers a yearly membership that is direct debited from my bank account yearly, is there anything stopping me just cancelling card or having bank reject payments.

I want to sign up but dont want to commit to a year.

Most gyms will say a 12 month DD in the small print. Just ask them. Ben Dunne in Fonthill just charge by the month for example and you can cancel freely if you wish but the NAQ tell you it's DD but you ar3 liable for 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Wexforllion

mcgragger wrote: »
    Most gyms will say a 12 month DD in the small print. Just ask them. Ben Dunne in Fonthill just charge by the month for example and you can cancel freely if you wish but the NAQ tell you it's DD but you ar3 liable for 12 months

Gym said I cant cancel.

Gym said I cant cancel.

Well There's your answer.
    You'll get a bill if you cancel your DD

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Wexforllion

mcgragger wrote: »
    Well There's your answer.
    You'll get a bill if you cancel your DD

And if I dont use the gym and just ignore bill?
    Will they really chase on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Of course you can cancel, the salesman is selling you a big fat one. Open your online banking and cancel the direct debit or go into your branch and do it. Also I've never heard of an annual direct debit, either you pay for a year's use up front (works out cheaper overall) or pay an "admin" fee plus monthly DD.

• Advertisement

Have you signed already?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's a risk you'll have to take if you have signed a contract and agreed to the T&C. Surprised they don't offer the monthly option. I have had both available to me in various gyms and I assumed it was standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Of course you can cancel, the salesman is selling you a big fat one. Open your online banking and cancel the direct debit or go into your branch and do it. Also I've never heard of an annual direct debit, either you pay for a year's use up front (works out cheaper overall) or pay an "admin" fee plus monthly DD.

The OP has signed a contract for a years membership and most of the monthly payment plans are similar to a loan agreement. But in Ireland it's not worth chasing low amounts of debt so most companies let it slide.

Advertisement