Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I sell the beasht

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

rocky wrote: »
    I still have my 2005 530i, looking to replace it with an i3 in August-September. Very reliable car, last year I got the original battery replaced (at 13 years old) and I got a small crack in windscreen a couple weeks ago. I'm reluctant to change the windscreen for fear of sensors not working after.

A nicer place to sit in than many new cars, nappa leather, comfort seats, upgraded sound system, widescreen sat nav etc... (some i3s have the smaller screen, progress... )

Tax and petrol savings if I got an i3 would be around 3k a year at my mileage, so there's that...

Savings of 3k a year. But how how much will you spend on the i3 ;)

This is the thing with my beemer, it may be 13 years old etc but every time I get in to a way newer car like a golf or civic or even accord etc they just dont match up to the Beemer. Beemer is just solid, nice leather seats, cruise, parking sensors etc.

route66 wrote: »
    My Story.

I had a 2004 CL7 Honda Accord Executive 2.0 petrol up to late 2017. Like you, road tax was a killer (albeit at 710), but unlike you BMW nerds, future reliability wasn't (;)). I imported it from the UK and was its second owner. It was perfect and there was no reason at all to change it. Most especially because I had spent €900 the year before on wear and tear items like a replacement clutch, brakes, new tyres, etc. Oh, and it had just passed its NCT and had 3 months of that expensive motor tax remaining.

So what was my justification for changing?

None!

Well, maybe feeble ones like:
    • I was interested in a change
    • D'owl road tax
    • It was coming up to 14-years old
    • Em ...

I took a trip to Blighty and replaced it with a Lexus IS300H. Basically replaced the world's most reliable car with the world's most reliable car. It might suit a Beemer driver like yourself because it's got all the bells and whistles, is rear wheel drive, automatic, etc. And the tax is so cheap at €190 PA, I almost enjoy paying it! I did all the leg work myself and landed it in the country for €17.5K with all bill paid.

Despite it being truly mint, I assumed I would get nothing for the Honda. I took some nice pics, put it up on Donedeal for €1,250 on a Saturday evening at 7pm. It was gone less than 24 hours later for full price. I was sorry to see it go, but am very happy with my new beasht*. I'm also happy with all the new tech. Imagine, bluetooth and sat nav!

*As a fellow (& sometimes deranged) bogger, I'm just calling it that to 9iss off Mr. Lemongrease

Great post :)

I’d enjoy paying 190 tax per annum too.
    To be honest, I would not be looking at spending that much on a car. The beemer is my car and I do about 4000 miles a year. Herselves car is an SUV and this does all the long journeys with kids etc.
    I’d be looking at just selling the Beener and getting something for around the same price or add a thousand or 2, but for this money, I will get shag all that’s decent. It’s kind of a cost saving exercise I’m thinking of.

The Lexus must be nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

This is the thing with my beemer, it may be 13 years old etc but every time I get in to a way newer car like a golf or civic or even accord etc they just sont match up to the Beemer. Beemer is just solid, nice leather seats, cruise, parking sensors etc.

About 25k on the i3, maybe 20k in September.

i3 is also a beemer :) , it only felt like a downgrade in the seats (not as comfy) and slightly down on power (170bhp compared to 257 14 years ago). I could live with it, if depreciation is 3k a year for the first couple of years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Great post :)

I’d enjoy paying 190 tax per annum too.
    To be honest, I would not be looking at spending that much on a car. The beemer is my car and I do about 4000 miles a year. Herselves car is an SUV and this does all the long journeys with kids etc.
    I’d be looking at just selling the Beener and getting something for around the same price or add a thousand or 2, but for this money, I will get shag all that’s decent. It’s kind of a cost saving exercise I’m thinking of.

The Lexus must be nice though.

Logic would say hang on to what you have - just as it would have dictated that I hang on to my Honda.

Yes, I love the Lexus but it made no sense when the Honda had at least another 5 -10 years of reliable motoring left in it.

But then logic doesn't always apply wink.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

This is the thing with my beemer, it may be 13 years old etc but every time I get in to a way newer car like a golf or civic or even accord etc they just sont match up to the Beemer. Beemer is just solid, nice leather seats, cruise, parking sensors etc.

Bought my e60 msport for 3.5k.

I could spend 20k on a new low tax, economical car and it wouldn't have the same comfort or quality.

But how could it? The beamer was 60k plus brand new. Newer cars are still built with the same cheap fabric seats, small alloys and budget components.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Bought my e60 msport for 3.5k.

I could spend 20k on a new low tax, economical car and it wouldn't have the same comfort or quality.

But how could it? The beamer was 60k plus brand new. Newer cars are still built with the same cheap fabric seats, small alloys and budget components.

That's exactly it. I was in a 181 Yaris recently, I was shocked at how worse it is in every possible way (other than infotainment and fuel economy) compared to my own car despite it being 16 years old.

Cars that were expensive to buy new are going to be more expensive to run used than a car that was cheap to buy new but the quality, driving experience and comfort of the older expensive to run car compensate. For the amount I spend keeping mine on the road I could have bought something much newer but the savings on running costs would be lost in depreciation and at least I have a car that puts a smile on my face every time I get into it and drive it.

Still have her ;)
    Was offered 2k last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Get rid of it Tom. We're all going EV soon, did ya not here? :D

Wailin wrote: »
    Get rid of it Tom. We're all going EV soon, did ya not here? :D

I hear that's the way things are going alright :pac:

Is 2200 Euro a good price for this car?

2006 bmw 523i.
    Automatic saloon

83,000 miles
    9 services done.
    Nct’d until March 2020
    Electric water pump done.
    Needs a fresh service
    Needs 2 rear tyres.

• Advertisement

If you want rid of it, yes.

Augeo wrote: »
    If you want rid of it, yes.

Thanks. Regardless though, is it a decent price for it?

IMO it is.
    But not if you weren't planning on selling it and you'll be car shopping as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Very decent price - my advice would be to offload it quick as it’s 13 years old - big bills coming ur way soon - plenty of mid range cars out there - just make sure you get the top spec in whatever you buy - leather seats etc...

Thanks. Regardless though, is it a decent price for it?

Probably put it up for 2500 for 2 weeks and take whatever offer comes your way.

If it doesn't sell then drop the price until it does.

I have an offer of 2000 on it. But he will go to 2200 as he likes it and has seen some bad examples, he just liked mine because it’s well looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Hold onto it until it dies. You'll be waiting a long time before the engine gives up on you, though, but the suspension may start to give trouble now that it's older.

The older BMWs are such lovely cars to drive and the naturally aspirated straight six is such a peach of an engine, they don't make cars like that any more unfortunately.

Is there anything tickling your fancy?
    You'll struggle to find as nice a car for small money.

Augeo wrote: »
    Is there anything tickling your fancy?
    You'll struggle to find as nice a car for small money.

Not really no. May just go to a 1 car household.

I have 2200 for it.

• Advertisement

What ye think!??!? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I got 1800 for a 2006 523i m sport in December 2018, was a very quick sale for me. Mileage was higher than yours about double what you have, but was in excellent condition, a guy I worked with and saw it every day bought it from me.

If you have an offer of 2200 on it and really do want to sell it, its about as high as I can see you getting for it

I bought a 2007 525i msport for 3500 in good condition and I think I overpaid for it.

If you want to sell, then sell, but you'd be hard pressed to get a nicer car for the price.

I bought a 2007 525i msport for 3500 in good condition and I think I overpaid for it.

If you want to sell, then sell, but you'd be hard pressed to get a nicer car for the price.

When did you buy the 525i?

When did you buy the 525i?

Last year.

Last year.

Ah ok. Thought you meant last week.

So 2200 for a 2006 523i Today is not too bad then (from my point of view)

The 523i msport 2006 I sold for 1800 last year was purchased by me in 2015 for 4000, from a dealer, with a 3 month warranty. So I think at 2200 you are doing pretty well.

The 523i msport 2006 I sold for 1800 last year was purchased by me in 2015 for 4000, from a dealer, with a 3 month warranty. So I think at 2200 you are doing pretty well.

Sounds like it alright.

I had to get into some thing nice after it though, I would have seen most cars as a downgrade even coming up in years. I stayed in the same class after the e60, albeit I moved to diesel.

• Advertisement

MASSIVE UPDATE LOL:

After over 4 years of talking about it, the beasht has officially been sold. No longer in my hands. Drove of this morning with a new owner. Was nearly emotional letting her go. New owner seems very fond of it too, he is a massive bmw 6 cylinder fan.

Got 2,200 Euro for her.

2006 523i.
    83,000 miles.
    Automatic.

Advertisement