Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I sell the beasht

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Pkiernan wrote: »
    No offence, but it's a sad state of affairs when a small engined BMW is referred to as a beast.

Shows how lame the Irish motorist is at sticking up for himself.

It’s a 2.5 litre 6 cylinder. Not a small engine to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

No offence, but it's a sad state of affairs when a small engined BMW is referred to as a beast.

Shows how lame the Irish motorist is at sticking up for himself.

It’s a 2.5 litre 6 cylinder. Not a small engine to be honest.

Some people think everyone should be driving m5s
    Less than 10% of cars in Europe are over 2.5 I would imagine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

No offence, but it's a sad state of affairs when a small engined BMW is referred to as a beast. Shows how lame the Irish motorist is at sticking up for himself.

I don't think you understand what "beasht" can mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I still haven’t sold the beasht :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi

I bought a 2006 523i a year ago......aka the beasht ; )) Automatic SE. 65,000 miles on the clock right now. Seems to be running well. I do about 6,000 miles a year. I fitted NON run flat tyres about 10 months ago too.

Tax is up at end of March and it's 1080 to tax for the year. I'm thinking of selling to buy a smaller car with cheaper tax and better mpg.

Pros

I like the drive of the 523i.
    Know it's history.
    Like the leather seats, cruise etc
    Looks well.

Cons

Very dear to tax.
    Mpg not great.
    Any future repairs could be expensive.
    I don't really NEED this size of a car.

Any comments on helping me out in my predicament

edit : attached is a picture of the beasht after her wash..........which really got me thinking what a nice car it is
    She's lovely but my ex had yh same car and it cost her an arm and a leg,once trouble started it didn't stop- I wouldn't be worried ref MPG but parts will cost u bud big time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Don't either I do the same mileage and have a 3.0L petrol and it drives better than a lot of 191 sh1tboxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭maddness

Good man. Don’t either. If it’s financial viable I’d be holding on to that six cylinder loveliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I sold my 2005 523i SE two weeks ago.
    145,000 miles on the clock but it was breaking my heart with the amount of money I was pumping into it to keep it on the road in the last 4 or so years.

Heroditas wrote: »
    I sold my 2005 523i SE two weeks ago.
    145,000 miles on the clock but it was breaking my heart with the amount of money I was pumping into it to keep it on the road in the last 4 or so years.

How much did you spend roughly?

What thins did you spend on?

What did you replace it with?

• Advertisement

How much did you spend roughly?

What thins did you spend on?

What did you replace it with?

I was spending between €1500-2000 per annum.

Stuff like a replacement timing chain, various suspension pieces, engine gasket cover, corroded brake pipes as well as the usual servicing stuff.

Got a Mercedes C350e. Looks great and goes like a rocket!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Can't Bate the Beasht

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭JustARandomGuy

Stuff like a replacement timing chain, various suspension pieces, engine gasket cover, corroded brake pipes as well as the usual servicing stuff.

How much is the finance on that then. I suspect it's more than 2k a year, but well wear nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

I have a 2006 523i and over the past 7 years I've faced all that work, except for the timing chain. What issues were you experiencing that warranted replacement of the chain?

These cars are not cheap to maintain - you are going to get an unexpected big bill every couple of years or so - but they are wonderful to drive. I'm glad I've still got mine.

Edit: when I say big bill I mean 500 Euros. Certainly not 1.5- 2k (unless you get all your work done in a BMW dealer).

How much is the finance on that then. I suspect it's more than 2k a year, but well wear nonetheless.

Got it second hand and no finance on it :)

Ardent wrote: »
    I have a 2006 523i and over the past 7 years I've faced all that work, except for the timing chain. What issues were you experiencing that warranted replacement of the chain?

These cars are not cheap to maintain - you are going to get an unexpected big bill every couple of years or so - but they are wonderful to drive. I'm glad I've still got mine.

Edit: when I say big bill I mean 500 Euros. Certainly not 1.5- 2k (unless you get all your work done in a BMW dealer).

The mechanic replaced the chain because when he was in replacing the engine gasket he said that the chain was starting to stretch. He showed it to me and compared it to the replacement chain. Worlds apart in terms of how much the older one was flexing.

The mechanic replaced the chain because when he was in replacing the engine gasket he said that the chain was starting to stretch. He showed it to me and compared it to the replacement chain. Worlds apart in terms of how much the older one was flexing.

Around about what time does the head gasket go. Miles or age etc

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Unless there is a cooling issue I wouldn't be expecting the head gasket to go in these engines. I've never heard it as a concern at least. So long as it doesn't over heat it should go for a very long time.

Unless there is a cooling issue I wouldn't be expecting the head gasket to go in these engines. I've never heard it as a concern at least. So long as it doesn't over heat it should go for a very long time.

I notice my air conditioning is not very cold. Is this a sign of a bigger issue?

It wasn't the head gasket. It was the engine cover gasket. Went in 2015.
    Think I had about 110k miles on it at that stage.
    Noticed something was wrong because there was a lot of oil in the engine bay.

• Advertisement

Key thing I am getting from all this. A 13 year old 523i could potentially have a lot issues to fix in the coming year or 2.

Edit: but then again, the same could be said if any 13 year old car.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I notice my air conditioning is not very cold. Is this a sign of a bigger issue?

When did you have it regassed last?

beertons wrote: »
    When did you have it regassed last?

Never.

A friend briefly checked it. Removed a cap from something in engine and pressed it to prove something was ok and he said it was. So whatever this proves is not the problem wit the AC, so could be another issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

Never.

I reckon you're due a re-gas.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It wasn't the head gasket. It was the engine cover gasket. Went in 2015.
    Think I had about 110k miles on it at that stage.
    Noticed something was wrong because there was a lot of oil in the engine bay.

Also known as a rocker cover gasket/valve cover gasket. I wouldn't overly worry about this kind of job, it's a common issue at that mileage, and it may be time consuming for a home mechanic I'm sure a real mechanic would make relatively short work of it. Parts are very cheap too.

Aircon would be a re-gas most likely, but hard to know really.

To some a car like this might be a bit of a hassle to own, but lots of these jobs only need doing once and should be good for a long time. My 2001 325i is approaching 150,000 miles and is starting to be a bit painful too, so I can understand these things becoming tiresome!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Never.

A friend briefly checked it. Removed a cap from something in engine and pressed it to prove something was ok and he said it was. So whatever this proves is not the problem wit the AC, so could be another issue.

I'd say he emptied what ever was in it. It's only about 50 quid to get it done. The guy I go to won't charge you full whack if its not completely empty, or you need another job done with it. Decent skin.

The one thing that really gets to me with the car is the tax. Don’t really mind the mpg etc but the tax kills me handing over 1000+ Euro every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

The one thing that really gets to me with the car is the tax. Don’t really mind the mpg etc but the tax kills me handing over 1000+ Euro every year.

My Story.

I had a 2004 CL7 Honda Accord Executive 2.0 petrol up to late 2017. Like you, road tax was a killer (albeit at 710), but unlike you BMW nerds, future reliability wasn't (;)). I imported it from the UK and was its second owner. It was perfect and there was no reason at all to change it. Most especially because I had spent €900 the year before on wear and tear items like a replacement clutch, brakes, new tyres, etc. Oh, and it had just passed its NCT and had 3 months of that expensive motor tax remaining.

So what was my justification for changing?

None!

Well, maybe feeble ones like:
    • I was interested in a change
    • D'owl road tax
    • It was coming up to 14-years old
    • Em ...

I took a trip to Blighty and replaced it with a Lexus IS300H. Basically replaced the world's most reliable car with the world's most reliable car. It might suit a Beemer driver like yourself because it's got all the bells and whistles, is rear wheel drive, automatic, etc. And the tax is so cheap at €190 PA, I almost enjoy paying it! I did all the leg work myself and landed it in the country for €17.5K with all bill paid.

Despite it being truly mint, I assumed I would get nothing for the Honda. I took some nice pics, put it up on Donedeal for €1,250 on a Saturday evening at 7pm. It was gone less than 24 hours later for full price. I was sorry to see it go, but am very happy with my new beasht*. I'm also happy with all the new tech. Imagine, bluetooth and sat nav!

*As a fellow (& sometimes deranged) bogger, I'm just calling it that to 9iss off Mr. Lemongrease

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

It doesn't unless it's overheated quite badly. Very rare for the timing chain to go as well. Those engines are very very reliable, and they're so smooth and refined. About the worst things thar can happen are oil leaks through the rocker cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket, plus the electric water pump. Straight six petrols are such lovely engines to drive. I've had a fair bit of (non engine related) hassle with my E46 lately but the six cylinder engine makes me forgive it straight away :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

I still have my 2005 530i, looking to replace it with an i3 in August-September. Very reliable car, last year I got the original battery replaced (at 13 years old) and I got a small crack in windscreen a couple weeks ago. I'm reluctant to change the windscreen for fear of sensors not working after.

A nicer place to sit in than many new cars, nappa leather, comfort seats, upgraded sound system, widescreen sat nav etc... (some i3s have the smaller screen, progress... )

Tax and petrol savings if I got an i3 would be around 3k a year at my mileage, so there's that...

Advertisement