Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting strength

Options
  • 17-07-2017 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

I have done 3 weeks of starting strength. Then due to holidays and diy stuff I missed 2 weeks of the programme. Should I continue where I left off or start fresh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Start on something that feels relatively comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Start on something that feels relatively comfortable.

I only got to 46kg on the squats so I'll maybe drop it to 30kg and take it from there. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

If I know Rippetoe's philosophy well enough, then if 46kg for 5 felt heavy, do warmup sets towards 46kg and stop if you feel the bar is starting to slow down and/or form feels like it is starting to break down. This weight is your new working set.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I only got to 46kg on the squats so I'll maybe drop it to 30kg and take it from there. Cheers

Try 46kg. If that's too heavy, then drop 5kg off.

How does one make up 46kg? It's not divisible by 5. Hurts my brain.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I must have input incorrect figures at the beginning. I'll start it at 45kg so as I didn't find this too difficult. I only got a power cage recently also so I can give it a propper stab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Even starting out at lower weights I would not just step under the bar with my working weight on it, but would do a few warm up sets of two or three reps at lower weights. In this way you can use your warm up sets to determine if you need to reduce the weight after your break. Dropping the weight a bit can also help ensure that you are not too stiff tomorrow and the day after.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Even starting out at lower weights I would not just step under the bar with my working weight on it, but would do a few warm up sets of two or three reps at lower weights. In this way you can use your warm up sets to determine if you need to reduce the weight after your break. Dropping the weight a bit can also help ensure that you are not too stiff tomorrow and the day after.

Welcome back.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Just want to check something as im not sure if I screwed my my SS app. Each time I do Squats the weight increases by 5kg. Does this seem right. Tue, Thurs & Sat are my next training days. So thats 15kg of an increase this week. The app has my work sets at 65kg tomorrow. So 70kg for Thursday and 75kg for Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Just want to check something as im not sure if I screwed my my SS app. Each time I do Squats the weight increases by 5kg. Does this seem right. Tue, Thurs & Sat are my next training days. So thats 15kg of an increase this week. The app has my work sets at 65kg tomorrow. So 70kg for Thursday and 75kg for Saturday.

Sure it's not in pounds? I remember the increases being 2.5 kg each session not 5.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Sure it's not in pounds? I remember the increases being 2.5 kg each session not 5.

I just checked and its defo in kgs. I can edit it though to a lower weight like 2.5kg per session. 5 kg just seems a little too much for me. I lifted 60kg last session and it was tough enough. Its not like I lost form but to hit 75kg by the end of this week seem a bit much

• Advertisement

I don't know the app, but yeah, it's definitely wrong if that's what you are jumping up in. Should be 2.5kg/5lb.

Just a random thought; is there some setting where you enter the plates available and you accidentally entered the smallest plates as being 2.5kg instead of 1.25kg?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

On the Starting Strength website it says you might be able to go up by 10 lbs the first 2-3 times but to stick to 5 lbs / 2.5kg increments thereafter.

https://startingstrength.com/get-started/programs

Thanks for the info lads. I edit the weight increments to 2.5kg. All I can think what happened is the app updated itself and I didnt check the settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I think it's a missed opportunity that this thread wasn't called "Continuing Strength".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

started this myself, the only thing im worried about is the power clean in phase 2, looks complicated...

IvoryTower wrote: »
    started this myself, the only thing im worried about is the power clean in phase 2, looks complicated...

I was lucky that a boardsie showed me power cleans, but from a proper olympic background.

There are SS-related videos (such as here) which show the power clean in a simpler form. And by simple, meaning they're not really proper power cleans as they are shown with no intention of progressing to cleans/C+Js.

Yep i think a PT will be the only way for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

5kg increases every workout sounds like a bad idea, especially for someone starting, whose technique is likely to suffer more easily. I would ignore the app and stick with what you're sure you can do safely.

The novice effect will last until you reach a certain level of development. You're not restricted to a 3 month window or anything like that.

Starting strength gains are associated with GOMAD, which is drinking 4 litres of full fat milk a day, about 2k calories. Skinny people can do that for a few months (which is the idea behind it). The associated fat gain would make it a bad idea unless you're v skinny at the start though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,088 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The 5kg increases are for deadlifts. And they are fine there.
    2.5kg for squats.

If you aren't pushed about learning power cleans, there's a version without them

I saw that alright i would like to learn them though. My gym doesnt have plates small enough to increase 2.5kg. 2 x 2.5kg is the smallest i could go up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Do all olympic lifting moves put stress on the wrists?

Cant believe I screwed up again:o

Long and short of it is I gave up first time round with starting strength. I decided to give it a bash again after I cleaned out my shed and made room for my equipment. I started SS on May 10th. I use the SS app and changed the settings to Kg. Once again the squat increased in 5kg each session. It was not a problem to begin with but when I hit 80kg it was becoming difficult. This is when I remembered this thread and done some googling. It should have increased by 2.5kg each session. I just finished a session there and nothing felt right. I was sore and had a lot less flexibility.

Should I continue with the current weight or drop back to a lower weight and build up again in 2.5kg jumps?

I have watched lots of youtube videos on SS lifting guides but Im just not getting it. I dont think my form is great at all. Im a bit worried now that as the weight increases I could end up having an accident or injury.

Is there anywhere that you can go just to learn good technique for a few sessions and not have to sign up for a year etc? I have the equipment already would would prefer to work at home. Im based in the midlands but im in Dublin 5 days a week if that helps.

PT sessions can usually be paid for on either a session by session basis or a block of sessions. Really depends on who the PT is.

Do you commute from the Midlands to Dublin every day? If so, and you come in the N4, I know of a gym in Celbridge where you could get PT sessions and not require membership.

Altarnatively, take a video from a side angle and post it here for tips. Not guaranteed to fix it, but you might get some pointers.

PT sessions can usually be paid for on either a session by session basis or a block of sessions. Really depends on who the PT is.

Do you commute from the Midlands to Dublin every day? If so, and you come in the N4, I know of a gym in Celbridge where you could get PT sessions and not require membership.

Altarnatively, take a video from a side angle and post it here for tips. Not guaranteed to fix it, but you might get some pointers.

Yep I use the N4. Post or PM me the details if you wouldn't mind. Thanks Rippetoe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Use a lighter weight than the one that you're hurting yourself with. Focus on form over increase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Obviously do whatever programme you think you'll stick with as consistency is the name of the game here but SS (and SL) has a number of issues which I would have wanted to be aware of when I started. They're pretty well laid out in the link below.

https://thefitness.wiki/faq/starting-strength-and-stronglifts-not-recommended/

Obviously do whatever programme you think you'll stick with as consistency is the name of the game here but SS (and SL) has a number of issues which I would have wanted to be aware of when I started. They're pretty well laid out in the link below.

https://thefitness.wiki/faq/starting-strength-and-stronglifts-not-recommended/

Interesting read. What program did you move onto next or what program did you wish you started on?

P.S Ive ordered a pair of lifting shoes. I know they are not nessessary whilst starting out but I just wanted to get used to them now. Adidas power lift 4. 63 euro direct from adidas.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Interesting read. What program did you move onto next or what program did you wish you started on?

P.S Ive ordered a pair of lifting shoes. I know they are not nessessary whilst starting out but I just wanted to get used to them now. Adidas power lift 4. 63 euro direct from adidas.ie.

Given my goals 5/3/1 for beginners would probably be what I should have started on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gottanage

Hm. You'll better test yousellf and start a new one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

Barbell Medicine have a free 8 week program called the Bridge designed specifically for people transitioning off SS to prepare them for intermediate style training. Not a big fan of the guys behind it myself but they do have a tonne of experience working with people moving off SS. It's a good introduction to some variations of the main lifts, volume training and RPE. There's a review here if you want to check it out.https://www.powerliftingtowin.com/an-informal-review-the-bridge-by-barbell-medicine/

Advertisement