Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euromillions €210 million

Options
  • 17-02-2021 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,495 ✭✭✭✭

It's beginning to get interesting again. Estimated jackpot Friday 19 Feb €200 million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

So guys, the jackpot this Tuesday night is a staggering €210 million.

Question is, what would you do if you were the sole jackpot winner and scooped the lot?

Would you leave the country?

Who would you help out?

Would you tell anyone?

Was chatting the wife about it the other day, i'd be all for telling nobody. Not even the kids. It would ruin them, turn them into complete wasters was my view. Obviously make them comfortable, but let them think their ould fella just worked his way into a position where he doesn't need to work every day.

Would be a job in itself of course, but i'd make a load of donations completely anonymously, i'd pay complete attention to detail to make sure the cover doesn't get blown.

What would everyone else do?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You really think you're going to win €210m and your kids won't notice all the extra things?

Unless you plan not to spend money then what's the point in doing it. Never get that.

You won't win anyway so nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

murpho999 wrote: »
    You really think you're going to win €210m and your kids won't notice all the extra things?

Unless you plan not to spend money then what's the point in doing it. Never get that.

Jaysus you sound like a barrell of laughs!

Right OP, time to get back to making plans.

Would be very hard to keep it secret from family, i'd imagine you would have to not see alot of people again unless you were going to be very low key about it all.

Winning any lottery amount would be a thrill in the short/medium term but once the buzz of buying whatever you want etc.. wears off you will be back to worrying about the same day to day stuff (apart from what you will do for €€€). Health, how your family/mates perceive you (some may be jealous as f*ck and may avoid you) etc..

Giving people a dig out may be a curse aswell, you could be the most level headed person in the world, but the person you give a dig out to may lose the head completely with what you give them.

Myself, i'd give the kids the best education they could get, buy a really nice home in a perfect location to raise my family (with an epic games room, gym, sauna, the works), couple of new cars for myself and wife, holidays 2/3 times a year. Help our families out as discreetly as possible, anonymous donations to raft of worthy causes, maybe holiday home or 2 abroad.

For me, the ability to secure your entire future and buy my time so I don't need to do the 9-5 until i'm 70 would be the dream. Being able to turn over in bed on a wet monday morning if I fancy it, or a late sunday night knowing i'm only going golfing at midday the next day, rather than stressing out about the week ahead!

Just some thoughts anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Announcement PA: calling Doctor BuzzKill to the front desk, that's Doctor BuzzKill to the front desk.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Jesus.....210 million.....id buy covid vaccines for all my friends and family,

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭startrek56

if anyone asks how i could afford the fancy house and car, say i sold all the bitcoin i bought 5 years ago and made a nice little profit...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Honestly I would probably just disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭vandriver

I'd change my filter on websites to "price:high to low"

also, i would never spend another winter in a cold wet miserable country ever again, Caribbean for me from october-april

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Obviously with the health situation little of this is attainable in the immediate but...

I think the first thing I’d do would be to get myself a Mercedes AMG...

00-mercedes-amg-gt-black-series-br190-2021-2560x1440.jpeg

2021-mercedes-amg-c63-coupe-dashboard-carbuzz-509549.jpg

A luxury apartment in the south of France, somewhere on the hills overlooking Villefranche-sur-mer.. quiet and beautiful..

Property-13b60000000004a800015d8524a0-78165523.jpg

Then just get on with enjoying life, helping others on the way where I can..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

I’d put half of it all on red in Vegas

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I'd buy a tank of diesel instead of getting "a drop"

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

I’d put half of it all on red in Vegas

and the other half on black

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Announcement PA: calling Doctor BuzzKill to the front desk, that's Doctor BuzzKill to the front desk.

Ha no. Not Mr Buzzkill.

Just go do the maths. Better odds of being struck by a meteor in an ambulance that was bringing you hospital after you'd been struck by lightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, we've spoken about this before and realistically we would make sure it wouldn't last that long. You don't want 200 million sitting in a bank account where you can get your hands on it, for all sorts of reasons.

Our families and friends would all be sorted. Probably €5m apiece to siblings & parents. €1m apiece to all of our good friends.

Obviously sort ourselves out with a permanent home, decent size, nothing obnoxious, just enough rooms and outside space. A holiday home as well, maybe Spain or something. Somewhere to go whenever you feel like a no-hassle break.

Throw enough into a fund that will pay out a decent salary, maybe 100k/year, for the rest of our lives.

After that you'll probably have at least €100m floating about. I've no interest in taking over the world, or turning that into millions.

I'd probably use it to help provide grants to community projects, charities and ethical businesses looking for no-strings seed funding.

That'll take up a few years of my time, then I can retire with no bills and 100k a year in a tax free salary for doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Ha no. Not Mr Buzzkill.

Just go do the maths. Better odds of being struck by a meteor in an ambulance that was bringing you hospital after you'd been struck by lightening.

right but the difference is for 2.50 you are making something that unlikely actually happen.

Someone wins it. Everyone who bought a ticket gets to google where their apartment in france will be overlooking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Deeec

I never play euromillions when there is high amounts to win. €210M is a ridiculous amount - it would completely change your life for the worse IMO.

I would love to see them split it up - say 21 winners of €10M. Their revenues would go up because people would think they have more of a chance of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’d start an investment fund. That would be some nest egg to play the markets with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Join Elon Musk by buying €200 milion in bitcoin and live on the €10 million :-)

I’d go rent a house in near Monterrey or Carmel by the Sea, California and hide out there for a few months.

I’ll then start planning my dream home in Ireland which will have a swimming pool. This will be enclosed most of the time but on the days we have great weather the roof will need to open and somehow fold over and slot beside the walls. Then the walls will disappear into the ground.
    The dogs will have their own jungle Jim room complete with ball pit.

I’ll employ someone to do the ironing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Go to every major sporting event that I could ...
    Super Bowl, champs league, World Cup, us masters, Wimbledon, World Cup skiing, olympics, Ryder cup etc etc etc
    Houses in several cities like Perth (love it there and not the Scottish one) New York, Nice, California, Ski Chalet in Alps, etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

It's statistically unlikely that any given person will win a prize.

However, someone is going to win some prizes somewhere having played it.

Say nothing for a couple of weeks, then when a plus is won for .5m tell everyone you won that.

So you can have nice things without being haunted

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

Go public then go around shopping in VDP, wearing ould clothes and paying for everything with coppers. Live off the hate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

With that kind of dosh in the bank, I would vow not to go mad or anything, 12 months later I'be completely cream crackers.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Say nothing for a couple of weeks, then when a plus is won for .5m tell everyone you won that.

Like your thinking. Only problem is if 200 million was won down the local Spar people will not buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I think I would set up a a business I'd like to run, offer a crazily good service at a cheap price, it could lose a million a year, who cares, just tell everyone you are raking it in.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I'd buy a nice fur coat and a crown.

all the nice things for 500k??

it wouldnt add up... im telling ya, tell everyone you got a load of bitcoin in college years ago and you sold it now made a huge profit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I'd buy an island go live there till the pubs open again

Advertisement