Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euromillions €210 million

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Almost had heart failure last night, checked my ticket online and a big CONGRATULATIONS YOUVE WON! came up, then I see below 6eueo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

seamus wrote: »

That's nothing when you have €200m. You could spend ten months of the year, every year on that boat, and after fifty years you'd have only spent half your money.

Or you could spend €5m buying a new boat of your own and another €1m a year on maintenance fees, regardless of how often you use it.

Maybe I'm being dumb, but isn't buying it far cheaper in your scenario... Like half the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

If you do it online, then how do you lie about the extra signatures to avoid paying tax on the big win??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If you do it online, then how do you lie about the extra signatures to avoid paying tax on the big win??

I'd imagine the winners complete a claim form when collecting the prize in person.

People seem obsessed with signing the back of the ticket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Anyone can sign the back of a ticket or claim the prize.

But the issue is whether they’re acting as “nominee” for someone else.

When you want to be anonymous bidding for a house, for example, you can use someone else (e.g. a solicitor) as you’re nominee to hold the asset for you in bare trust.

That’s where someone else is the legal owner on paper, but the beneficial owner (i.e. the person who actually owns the asset) is someone else.

I can sign the back of the ticket but be representing any number of people (e.g. a syndicate or my family). But it’s important to be able to prove that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

When you want to be anonymous bidding for a house, for example, you can use someone else (e.g. a solicitor) as you’re nominee to hold the asset for you in bare trust.

That’s where someone else is the legal owner on paper, but the beneficial owner (i.e. the person who actually owns the asset) is someone else.

I can sign the back of the ticket but be representing any number of people (e.g. a syndicate or my family). But it’s important to be able to prove that.

Irish National lottery tickets are bearer instruments, unless there is proof as to shared ownership.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Irish National lottery tickets are bearer instruments, unless there is proof as to shared ownership.

Exactly. Like a bare trust, ideally written, but potentially oral.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/couple-lose-182m-euromillions-jackpot-23589563

Five weeks in a row playing the numbers but not enough cash in the account to buy the ticket on the winning day.

Always play quick pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/couple-lose-182m-euromillions-jackpot-23589563

Five weeks in a row playing the numbers but not enough cash in the account to buy the ticket on the winning day.

Always play quick pick.

I did and 3 out of the 5 tickets had the same bonus numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Always play quick pick.

I read their interview and they seemed quite blase about missing out!

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭startrek56

when you see 200m and what a difference it could make to loads of peoples life's, just makes you wonder what it be like to be worth 10 Billion

This is total rubbish.

If you win the lottery then the winners turn up and collect the winnings and sign any required claimant forms. (Signing ticket can be replaced by on line tickets).

Comparing to a person acting on your behalf at an auction is completely different.

There's nothing to prove with lottery tickets. Claimants collect the prize. As simple as that.

I read their interview and they seemed quite blase about missing out!

Thought the same myself. You would imagine missing out on being among the 20,000 richest people in the world would be more visibly sickening. Large sums of money don't seem to be as impressive as they were in the past. Imagine missing out on winning a £40 million pound jackpot in 1980; I can imagine that situation would have felt much more painful. Modern life is so constantly distracting and entertaining and basics are so cheap that even the relatively poor don't generally suffer absolute hardship, so being relatively rich (even astronomically rich) isn't as psychologically impactful as it once would have been. Also, we have so much more exposure nowadays to the lives of rich people through the internet and media (partly also because there are in fact more rich people as time passes) that being rich isn't as noteworthy as it used to be. Back in the 90s being even worth a million or two marked someone out as being exceptionally rich; even someone worth 10 or 20 million now wouldn't evoke the same feelings of awe now in my opinion. Consider also footballers earnings, ceos earning tens of millions a year etc. The reaction of these kids is a reflection of the decreased power of wealth to inspire awe.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

GreeBo wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being dumb, but isn't buying it far cheaper in your scenario... Like half the price?
    Hah. Yeah, but really my point is that if you fancy the idea of spending some time on a yacht, then hiring one out is by far more cost-effective than owning one, unless you plan on basically living on board.

murpho999 wrote: »
    This is total rubbish.

If you win the lottery then the winners turn up and collect the winnings and sign any required claimant forms. (Signing ticket can be replaced by on line tickets).

Comparing to a person acting on your behalf at an auction is completely different.

There's nothing to prove with lottery tickets. Claimants collect the prize. As simple as that.

No it’s not. Google “bare trust” or “nominee” and have a read.

No it’s not. Google “bare trust” or “nominee” and have a read.

I know what they are but they are not relevant to lottery wins.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I know what they are but they are not relevant to lottery wins.

They actually are.

If you had the winning ticket, you could give it to me, I could go in and collect the winnings as your nominee. I would sign the ticket, but it would be a bare trust arrangement. I would be putting myself forward as the legal owner of the ticket when in fact you would be the beneficial owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Thought the same myself. You would imagine missing out on being among the 20,000 richest people in the world would be more visibly sickening. Large sums of money don't seem to be as impressive as they were in the past. Imagine missing out on winning a £40 million pound jackpot in 1980; I can imagine that situation would have felt much more painful. Modern life is so constantly distracting and entertaining and basics are so cheap that even the relatively poor don't generally suffer absolute hardship, so being relatively rich (even astronomically rich) isn't as psychologically impactful as it once would have been. Also, we have so much more exposure nowadays to the lives of rich people through the internet and media (partly also because there are in fact more rich people as time passes) that being rich isn't as noteworthy as it used to be. Back in the 90s being even worth a million or two marked someone out as being exceptionally rich; even someone worth 10 or 20 million now wouldn't evoke the same feelings of awe now in my opinion. Consider also footballers earnings, ceos earning tens of millions a year etc. The reaction of these kids is a reflection of the decreased power of wealth to inspire awe.

Mass counterfeiting by the Central Banks has a lot to do with it. Currency ain't what it used to be...

Advertisement