Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo 4: First Impressions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Loving the multiplayer. No frills blow everyone the fcuk up, and it's not sorry for being that way.

I really like that all the unlockable weapons aren't game breakers, and I see most people playing with the battle rifle. My only problem is that I can see people going for very similar loadouts. Infinite sprinting and cloak are my personal favourites at the moment. Ninjaaaaa slap!

Sorry if this is a silly question, but where is bog standard free for all?

I have never been a massive fan of single player Halo but might finish it on co-op with the gf for a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

blobby360 wrote: »
    I haven't played enough of the campaign to give a good account but the opening cinematic is amazing.

The Multiplayer is fantastic. Its the only FPS on console's that isn't reliant on you having the reflexes of a Cat. If someone see you first you have just as much of a chance of killing him.

The weapons feel fair and are all equally good in certain areas.

I'm not sure how I feel about the unlock system. Basically the weapons you unlock are only basic weapons you'd normally avoid in a normal match, so having to unlock them isnt a big deal I suppose.

Overall If your looking for a FPS that doesn't rely on twitch reactions and actually takes skill... This is the game for you.

So you have slow reflexes and that's why other fps' don't require skill?

Yeah you keep deluding yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I had a long response typed to this that detailed how having the drop on someone in halo does not mean a kill.

But now i see that your first post in this thread (and probably the halo forum) was to try to start an argument. Reported. Now **** off and go wait for another shooter to be released.

Edit: yep first post in the halo forum...

Korvanica wrote: »
    I had a long response typed to this that detailed how having the drop on someone in halo does not mean a kill.

But now i see that your first post in this thread (and probably the halo forum) was to try to start an argument. Reported. Now **** off and go wait for another shooter to be released.

Edit: yep first post in the halo forum...

What does it being my first post on the halo forum have to do with anything? There are dozens of games that I've played that I haven't posted about, did someone tell you to **** off the first time you posted here?

So get your panties out of a twist and quit trying to be a big hard man on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Having played both, Halo takes a lot more skill than COD.

My scattered thoughts about it so far.....

I love that Valhalla is back, one of the greatest maps in Halo (Now add the Pit and Guardian).

I am unsure about the vehicles that look like a cross between AT-ST's and the exo suit from Aliens, although they look easy enough to destroy.

On vehicles they seem easier to hi-jack, I managed to hi-jack a ghost as it zoomed by me.

Plasma grenades don't seem to be as readily available.

Promethean Vision is a class power up.

A lot of the armour makes you look like a Transformer.

The ordnance drops, joining into games halfway through, and points system are a bit too COD for my liking.

I spent all my time on Halo Reach wishing I had a BR, now the BR seems sh*t and the DMR seems a lot stronger.

The alien version of the shotgun is deadly, I never tire of seeing the body vaporize and float off in the wind.

It takes a bit of getting used to, the screen seems a lot more cluttered than previous games and it takes a few games before you get used to everything, some of the levels also seem to have a bit of a glare which is annoying.

Slayer Pro is a nice playlist addition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Actually your deluding yourself.

Let's you's Cod as a example. Since it's the biggest culprit of twitch shooting

If someone see's me first 9/10 times I'm dead. and that's not because of skill, instead that's only down to them seeing me first. That's not skill!!

In Halo if you see a guy come around a corner it's still a even fight. You actually need to use your brain if you want to win.

Which from some of your post's its evident your lacking one.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Don't knock twitch shooters. Quake and UT are the daddys of multiplayer shooting and they required huge amounts of skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

ahnowbrowncow & Korvanica - rein in the aggression please. Any more spats between you and infractions may be handed down.

Azza wrote: »
    Don't knock twitch shooters. Quake and UT are the daddys of multiplayer shooting and they required huge amounts of skill.

I was mainly directing it towards Console shooters e.g Cod,Battlefield

But I still stand by my point.

What does it being my first post on the halo forum have to do with anything? There are dozens of games that I've played that I haven't posted about, did someone tell you to **** off the first time you posted here?

Nope because I didn't try to start an argument the first time I posted here.
    My first post:
    Tag: Korvanica also looking for some sort of clan
    So get your panties out of a twist and quit trying to be a big hard man on the internet.

**** *** **** **** :pac: .... also ****

Forgot how beasty elites were ! Being destroyed by them! And H4 is defo harder than the rest. I'm struggling on Heroic. Legendary will be fun :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Forgot how beasty elites were ! Being destroyed by them! And H4 is defo harder than the rest. I'm struggling on Heroic. Legendary will be fun :D

I've only completed the first two levels so it probably will get harder, but I have to say I've found it pretty easy on Legendary so far... don't think I've died yet!

blobby360 wrote: »
    Actually your (you're) deluding yourself.

Let's you's (let us use) Cod as a (an) example. Since it's the biggest culprit of twitch shooting

If someone see's (sees) me first 9/10 times I'm dead. and that's not because of skill, instead that's only down to them seeing me first. That's not skill!!

In Halo if you see a guy come around a corner it's still a (an) even fight. You actually need to use your brain if you want to win.

Which from some of your post's (posts) its (it's) evident your (you're) lacking one.

If you are going to accuse someone of lacking a brain maybe you should proofread your post.

I'm not interested in arguing about who has brains though so can we stop the bickering, I was commenting on the fact that you said no fps on consoles requires skill which is obviously incorrect. I play bf3 and it requires as much skill as halo if not more and if I may say so myself I rock at it.

Halo and cod obviously both require skill and just because you keep losing twitch shootouts in cod that does not mean it doesn't require skill. I'll admit that there is probably more luck involved in cod with people shooting you in the back or getting killed by killstreaks.
    Nope because I didn't try to start an argument the first time I posted here.

I wasn't trying to start an argument, I had an issue with blobby360 claiming no other fps apart from halo requires skill.

So can we move on from this and be internet buddies?

If you are going to accuse someone of lacking a brain maybe you should proofread your post.

I'm not interested in arguing about who has brains though so can we stop the bickering, I was commenting on the fact that you said no fps on consoles requires skill which is obviously incorrect. I play bf3 and it requires as much skill as halo if not more and if I may say so myself I rock at it.

Halo and cod obviously both require skill and just because you keep losing twitch shootouts in cod that does not mean it doesn't require skill. I'll admit that there is probably more luck involved in cod with people shooting you in the back or getting killed by killstreaks.

I wasn't trying to start an argument, I had an issue with blobby360 claiming no other fps apart from halo requires skill.

So can we move on from this and be internet buddies?

Firstly I never said that. I said "Its the only FPS on console's that isn't reliant on you having the reflexes of a Cat"

And I never said that I was losing battle's in Cod. Your reading what you want to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

This disc 2 installation **** is a load of crap. I have a 4gb xbox and it won't let me install it. I had to delete lots of stuff and now I need to download it from xbox live as I still cannot install it. And if I install the war games package, I won't have space for the Spartan missions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    This disc 2 installation **** is a load of crap. I have a 4gb xbox and it won't let me install it. I had to delete lots of stuff and now I need to download it from xbox live as I still cannot install it. And if I install the war games package, I won't have space for the Spartan missions.

This is why people always advise against the crippled 4GB Xbox and have done since it was released, MS should never have released such a stupid model at a point in the consoles lifespan when such a model was evidently going to be inadequate for current, upcoming, and future games. It wasn't enough for Halo Reach, in fairness you'd be a bit naive not to be prepared two years later for the same scenario.

As for the game itself, not wild on the single player, though granted it has absolutely incredible visuals that really push the console further than you'd almost think possible - it looks, feels, plays like Halo, so all of those immediate concerns were addressed within five minutes of playing the game. Just not sure I'm sold on the story thus far. The multiplayer is rock solid, not sure I'd say it's an 'improvement' on Reach, but it's definitely a solid offering that I'll be playing for months to come. Loving the return of the Battle Rifle.

All in all, so far, I give it a hearty thumbs up. Halo without Bungie is not as bleak as I once thought it might be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Rob2D wrote: »
    I can't take to the music at all. Sounds more like Mass Effect. Its not that its bad or anything; it just doesn't sound like Halo.

Marty is sorely missed.

Exactly what I was thinking, the soundtrack reminded me of Star Wars in some parts.

This one doesn't live up to Marty and Mike's soundtracks at all. No song really stood out for me like the other Halos.

Regarding the ending, while I thought it was good overall.
    I thought there would have been a boss battle at the end, not just a few quick time events, very COD like. . I wish we could have been in control a lot more, they could have pulled something off which would have involved the player, instead of quick time events.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

seanbmc wrote: »
    Regarding the ending, while I thought it was good overall.
    I thought there would have been a boss battle at the end, not just a few quick time events, very COD like. . I wish we could have been in control a lot more, they could have pulled something off which would have involved the player, instead of quick time events.

What did you think of the
    video after the ending, seemed a bit sinister is the chief now the dictac? also was all of earth wiped out?

Calhoun wrote: »
    What did you think of the
    video after the ending, seemed a bit sinister is the chief now the dictac? also was all of earth wiped out?

No idea what to make of it yet.

I've put in the code for my pre order armour, but it doesn't say I have it in the armour menu?

Did this happen to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Got a few levels in today and all I can say is those Promethean things are the most annoying things to kill yet

Doing it on Heroic is even a small bit tricky so I'd imagine Legendary on your own might just drive you insane

Tried a team slayer there and it was cool, some nice new features... even got MVP ...Those 1,000 + games of Halo 3 might have something to do with it

So far so good :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Playing the campaign solo on Legendary at the moment. It's absolutely awesome, the visuals, the sound, the HUD is just stunning. Played about 9-10 hours or so on the Campaign and an hour or so online. Having great craic with it.

maximoose wrote: »
    I've only completed the first two levels so it probably will get harder, but I have to say I've found it pretty easy on Legendary so far... don't think I've died yet!

Yep, my first encounter with a Promethean sorted that out :pac:

Played a lot of slayer last night, really am enjoying the multiplayer. Needs a big team objective game though.

There are 2 first impressions threads, so i'm posting in this one as it looks more popular, perhaps a moderator could merge threads?? Also, i'm avoiding spoiler posts carefully, so thanks to all the people who are using the tags. :D

I'm only on the level where you first encounter the prometheans so far, so not too far in. I'm enjoying it, although i am still waiting to be amazed. There hasn't been much in the way of amazing levels yet, although they were clearly going for amazing scale and scope with some of the larger stuff like
    the first views of the planet itself, or the floating forerunner platform installation when you get to the bit where the first warthogs are
    . I like outdoor large scale grassy levels the most, so i'm hoping i'll get to see some of that at some stage.

Promethean knights are tough, but once you avoid their grenades (which suck big time) and take out the accompanying watcher things as priority #1 so they can't generate shields for them, then it's just a case of pumping headshots into them with a light rifle till they die and keeping close to cover. Tougher when there are a few of them in a bunch (one of the b*st*rds flanked me using a teleport the last time i was playing and appeared behind me and knocked the crap out of me) but it's really just a matter of playing cagey and using the right weapons, and eventually they'll go down. Running and gunning with an assault rifle is suicide, as always.

Enemies on heroic don't seem as tricky or smart as i was expecting so far, but i guess it's still early. I thought the breakdancing hoparound elites in reach were a lot tougher and more annoying to kill than the guys in 4 so far, and jackals and grunts are just cannon fodder like they always have been. Also the new incoming grenade indicator is easy mode BS ripped straight out of call of duty. Halo doesn't need that crap. I much preferred listening for audio clues like the "clink" or the "fizz" of an incoming frag or sticky nade.

The sound and graphics have been uniformly excellent so far. The weapons and vehicles all sound amazing, but there haven't been any jaw dropping visual moments yet (although it's early on for me).

The weapons seem quite powerful. I'm looking forward to getting into multiplayer and trying out the new loadout classes to see what kind of devastating combinations i can come up with, but so far the needler seems ridiculously overpowered, and the light rifle looks like it will be a right pain.

The surpressor and the SAW look about as much use as a fart in a fiat punto, and the covy beam rifle is really only useful as a "look, there he is, get that guy" weapon to let your team mates know where the opposition are at, just like it was in reach. It's an infantry suppression weapon, but anybody being targetted at any kind of range will just dance out of the way of the beam far better than any shooter can aim and control it enough to do any real damage.

I can see the mantis being banned from lots of games due to it's sheer awesomeness. That thing looks like it will be a complete pain when it's being used as an infantry support vehicle in MP. Killing the other team's one first will mean instant unbalanced batttlefield ownage and lots of running away and hiding by opponents.

Pulse grenades look like they'll be more or less useless in multiplayer, except as an area denial weapon, when you're running away in tight areas and need to cover your tracks, and you're less likely to put them in a loadout than the much more useful sticky nades which do almost the same thing and lots more besides, so i can't see them getting a lot of use.

I'm looking forward to getting a go on the sticky detonator. Sticking someone and then letting them run around for a bit like a headless chicken before detonating them sounds funny as hell. Getting as much collateral damage as possible will be the plan there.

I can see the youtube video montages already...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Not sure I'll take to this multiplayer its gone to much like Cod. You die very easily unlike other halos.. Tom many weapons and load out options have ruined it.

I much preferred the simpler more level playing field of previous halos.

How does the scoring work, more points for a head kill is it? Don't like that if it is.

I'm loving the campaign so far tho so not all negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Is it just me or do the Grunts take a hell of a lot more damage now? Playing through on Heroic and loving it.

Is it just me or do the Grunts take a hell of a lot more damage now? Playing through on Heroic and loving it.

Single head shot kills em.... But I do notice it takes a lot more body shots to do so... Especially from behind....

Had a first blast at Spartan Ops lastnight and did the first two chapters, they're pretty damn enjoyable :)

Single head shot kills em....

Was just going to post the same thing. I haven't noticed any difference in killing grunts, as i headshot them every time, always have done, and the result is the same in H4 as it's always been. They die, and i get lots of plasma pistols and sticky grenades.

With elites, it's body, body, body (until their shields drop) then a shot in the head for the kill. With jackals it's their hand (sticking out on the left hand side of the shield) then straight to the head for a kill when the shield moves.

Of course if i'm carying a plasma pistol, then it's the "noob combo" on everybody for the win :D

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=noob%20combo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HgT6hrvvCmc#t=304s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

tell me about split-screen co-op folks.

always enjoyed playing thru the campaign with the bro beside me.

is the campaign or spartan ops split screen-able?

• Advertisement

I believe it is... Most multiplayer playlists allow 4 players per xbox aswell

Advertisement