Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Goddamn influencers, they do everything BUT influence me. Saying that, they do get young people to buy whatever they're peddling so i can see why companies use them. I'd love to see an official teardown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not impressed by anything in those PS5 videos par one thing, astrobot looks really damn good. Mario Galaxy vibes off it. But nothing that is blowing me away as next gen.

Also not impressed with letting 'influencers' get their hands on it before the press.

Give it to digital foundry already FFS.
    I duno man, I'm kinda glad someone finally went and made a game inspired by the boxart of GPUs from the early 2000s.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

LOL the trailer is entirely based around a god literally falling.

Accurate title if nothing else (and I'm expecting nothing else).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Nice to finally see some people getting hands on playing real next gen games on next gen hardware though, rather than just videos of games for old consoles loading a bit faster.

The near instant restart on both Astrobot and Godfall when dying was nice to see though, more like what I expected from the initial talk of the new console's SSDs than the "instead of 60 seconds it's now 30 seconds" a lot of the XBSX BC videos were showing. I hope this is the standard for games designed with the new consoles in mind.

And Astro looked like a lot of fun. I can see Godfall on PS+ a few months from now. Looks more suited to being a free to play live service game than something that's in any way enticing at the price they're trying to charge.

Yeah, probably the easiest to remaster alright, will wait for ea play or ps plus, whatever comes first.

https://twitter.com/Renka_schedule/status/1312548996468994048?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I'm liking the fact that they all said it was quiet. Tbh that's all I really needed to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Next Need For Speed looking to be announced tomorrow. Rumour of a remaster of Hot Persuit. Because everyone was asking for a remaster of HP and not Underground 1, 2 or Most Wanted...

https://twitter.com/NeedforSpeed/status/1312771964965138432?s=19

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered out Nov. 6 on PC/PS4/XBO and Nov. 13 on Switch

https://www.ea.com/games/need-for-speed/need-for-speed-hot-pursuit-remastered

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

^^^^^
    I actually like that ad :D

Your URL is 404'ing for me though!

marcbrophy wrote: »
    ^^^^^
    I actually like that ad :D

Your URL is 404'ing for me though!

URL working now
    https://www.ea.com/games/need-for-speed/need-for-speed-hot-pursuit-remastered

Oh it's a remaster of the 2010 game!
    For some reason, I thought it was the 1998 one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Markitron wrote: »
    I'm liking the fact that they all said it was quiet. Tbh that's all I really needed to know.

"Doctor, are you sure it's on? I can't hear a thing!"
    "IT'S WHISPER QUIET!"

I would love for this to be true but I'm not trusting the word of any of these people

Resident Evil’ Reboot: Kaya Scodelario, Robbie Amell, Hannah John-Kamen, Neal McDonough & More To Star In Origin Story Adaptation

Starring in the roles of the iconic game characters will be Maze Runner‘s Kaya Scodelario as Claire Redfield alongside Hannah John-Kamen (Ant-Man and the Wasp) as Jill Valentine, Robbie Amell (Upload) as Chris Redfield, Tom Hopper (The Umbrella Academy) as Albert Wesker, Avan Jogia (Zombieland: Double Tap) as Leon S. Kennedy, and Neal McDonough (Yellowstone) as William Birkin.

https://deadline.com/2020/10/resident-evil-reboot-kaya-scodelario-robbie-amell-hannah-john-kamen-origin-story-1234591729/

Sieghardt wrote: »
    "Doctor, are you sure it's on? I can't hear a thing!"
    "IT'S WHISPER QUIET!"

I would love for this to be true but I'm not trusting the word of any of these people

Yea I am not taking it as gospel, just encouraged that they thought it worth mentioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ERG89 wrote: »

Kind of Inevitable. Inazuma Eleven has fizzled out and Yokai Watch hasn't taken off like it did in Japan and even that is fizzling out. Ni No Kuni 2 also failed to sell as well as expected because, lets face it, the original game was absolute garbage and the sequel not much better.

Its still a shame as I'm currently enjoying their mobile Layton ports which are excellent but I can imagine they haven't sold well either being premium priced games in a market where people expect everything for free.

Hopefully publishers will pick up their stuff for the west if they release something good.... but they kind of haven't made a good in house game since Dark Cloud 2 outside of Layton and Dragon Quest 8 was a collaboration.

Pretty sure only the mobile games will be affected as Level 5 only self published those.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

A week or so ago, Gamestop announced that they'd signed an agreement with Microsoft, which didn't raise many eyebrows, it seemed to just be about using Azure Cloud and having staff use Surface devices. It was so run of the mill that I didn't think anything of it, didn't even post it on boards.

However, if this report is true, and I've no real reason to doubt it, then it's perhaps far, far bigger news than I thought.

https://twitter.com/DOMOCAPITAL/status/1316173476777136128

Seems amazing to me, but Gamestop are going to get a cut of any digital game that MS sells, so long as it's bought on a console that they've sold. I wonder what MS are getting out of this then? I'm assuming that Gamestop will be far more interested in selling Xboxs over Playstations, at least if Sony don't also sign a similar deal.

Even so, I still don't understand this deal from an MS perspective.

I'm pretty sure it was posted here Cat, maybe not this thread!
    Yeah, GS stock rose 30% last week on the announcement.

Basically, MS will be using GS to push All Access sales and MS themselves are closing the physical Microsoft stores, so they've essentially got GS doing the job of their retail presence, by giving them a slice of digital sales!
    That's gonna be shít money though as the attach rate of xbox one console was just 6.55 games in 7 years. Less than a game per year.
    MS have maintained a retail presence through GS, without the overheads.
    Brilliant move :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'm pretty sure it was posted here Cat, maybe not this thread!

I'd searched the forum, maybe what I searched for was in a tweet and then didn't show up on the search? I don't know.

Anyway, I wonder is this the first step towards a method for digital second hand sales, kind of like how they wanted back before the launch of the Xbox One. Gamestop were meant to be involved in that too in some way, before they rebelled against it.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'd searched the forum, maybe what I searched for was in a tweet and then didn't show up on the search? I don't know.

Anyway, I wonder is this the first step towards a method for digital second hand sales, kind of like how they wanted back before the launch of the Xbox One. Gamestop were meant to be involved in that too in some way, before they rebelled against it.

Ah don't worry about it, it probably was a tweet :)

Interesting, you could be onto something.
    It's a bit of a minefield really, when you think about it.
    GS stood to make more money out of a 2nd hand game, than a first hand game.
    If I bought a €100 license for AC Valhalla Gold, cleared it and wanted to sell it to you 3 months later for maybe €60, how would the revenue split?
    10% to MS for being the store front.
    10% to GS for facilitating the sale?
    20% to the publisher for admin fees around license migration.
    60% to me for relinquishing my license. (€36)

The above figures are out of thin air, but you can be assured that there'd be more hands involved than necessary :D

• Advertisement

Ah don't worry about it, it probably was a tweet :)

Interesting, you could be onto something.
    It's a bit of a minefield really, when you think about it.
    GS stood to make more money out of a 2nd hand game, than a first hand game.
    If I bought a €100 license for AC Valhalla Gold, cleared it and wanted to sell it to you 3 months later for maybe €60, how would the revenue split?
    10% to MS for being the store front.
    10% to GS for facilitating the sale?
    20% to the publisher for admin fees around license migration.
    60% to me for relinquishing my license. (€36)

The above figures are out of thin air, but you can be assured that there'd be more hands involved than necessary :D

It's a minefield, but with more than 50% of all sales already digital, Gamestop really have to be thinking what happens in the next few years, particularly with two consoles being sold that are digital only.

Although, thinking about it more, why would Gamestop need to be involved at all?

EDIT: Unless they run some kind of physical to digital program?

CatInABox wrote: »
    It's a minefield, but with more than 50% of all sales already digital, Gamestop really have to be thinking what happens in the next few years, particularly with two consoles being sold that are digital only.

Although, thinking about it more, why would Gamestop need to be involved at all?

EDIT: Unless they run some kind of physical to digital program?

Its a deal to sell All Access so im not sure we'll see any changes here?

It sounds very familiar to the Nokia saga where they initially "teamed up" with a dying company before swiftly buying them out. If thats the plan then let's hope it doesn't end the same way with billions of dollars in write downs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

You'd have to wonder just how much of a difference it'd make over here.
    From what I've read, gamestop in the US are fairly ruthless in the pushing of preorders, subscriptions, and extended warranties, but to be fair to them, that hasnt been my experience with them over here. Fair enough, they can be a bit misguided in the advice they give at times, but I dont think the staff in general have any ill intents.

From Microsofts point of view, I suppose they'll see a return if preorders and new consoles are pushed, and xbox credit is encouraged as a option for payout for trade ins. But its still hard for me to see how gamestop survives long term once the dust has settled after the upcoming launches & christmas season.

From what I've read, gamestop in the US are fairly ruthless in the pushing of preorders, subscriptions, and extended warranties, but to be fair to them, that hasnt been my experience with them over here.

This has absolutely been my experience of GS staff over here, buying a game can be a massive chore with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I always hated the disk insurance bit until I had kids. My 3 year old has started taking disks out of my PS4 and putting them on the record player.

I like that he gets to concept of listening to records but a record needle and spinning CD aren't the best of friends. I might need some of the disk insurance. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

You'd have to wonder just how much of a difference it'd make over here.
    From what I've read, gamestop in the US are fairly ruthless in the pushing of preorders, subscriptions, and extended warranties, but to be fair to them, that hasnt been my experience with them over here. Fair enough, they can be a bit misguided in the advice they give at times, but I dont think the staff in general have any ill intents.

From Microsofts point of view, I suppose they'll see a return if preorders and new consoles are pushed, and xbox credit is encouraged as a option for payout for trade ins. But its still hard for me to see how gamestop survives long term once the dust has settled after the upcoming launches & christmas season.

Every time a clueless parent walks into the shop looking for a Playstation, the staff will be incentivised to convince them to buy an Xbox instead. And as you say, gamestop are notorious for their hard selling. So it could be worth if for MS in their attempts to increase market share.

Has anyone heard anything about Disco Elysium coming to consoles or Bladerunner remaster releasing? I know covid probably scuppered both this year but wondering if anyone heard updates?

Planet Coaster coming to PS4/PS5. Loved Theme Park back in the day, anyone play this on PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

I really want to get Cyberpunk 2077 but am now going to wait for the official PS5 release to start it.
    Wont be interested in the update after playing the full game.

ASSCreed Valhalla is launch day for me now.
    Happy with PS5 Menu system reveal today also. looks great.

OMG... Planet coaster will also be on my PS5 shortly after launch. Defo not starting it on PS4 as ive heard online that there may be save transfer issue.
    My Wallet will be in dire condition.

• Advertisement

Most excellent, the Lucasarts remasters of Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, and Full Throttle are coming to Gamepass this month.

https://twitter.com/TimOfLegend/status/1317197376587587584

Advertisement