Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rolex 01/09/2020 - predictions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Looking at Hodinkee’s front page gives me serious mid noughts Macrumors flashbacks. It’s like after an Apple keynote: main headline product, altered product and here are your iPod minis/nanos in a range of playful colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭unkel

893bet wrote: »
    Missed that.

Jesus the screwed Unkel.

Not giving him the blue on blue SS sub and not discontinuing the Milgauss.

:D
    I really think that is the wrong watch for you. It doesn’t fit as a “one expensive watch” in a collection and it will be very difficult move on in Ireland without taking a bath.

I like what they did with the sub, slightly bigger but less lumpy case. Would love the glidelock. I'm on the waiting list for a non-date one since the day Weir's opened after Corona closure

If only it wasn't black though. I don't think that is my "one expensive watch" either but I guess I could live with it for a while :p

As always I appreciate your advice though. You seem to get very well what I want and how my own clock ticks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,758 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

massively underwhelming but to be fair rolex arent known for anything else, people were speculating on a ceramic daytona for years.

nothing there im bothered with personally, which is just as well!

Cyrus wrote: »
    massively underwhelming

Surely it must be one of the boldest changes in some of the watches?

Have to say I fancy the OP 41 Turquoise quite a bit :p

Rolex-Oyster-Perpetual-41-124300-watch-turquoise-blue.jpg

If this one or the blue one had arab 3 / 6 / 9 and a glide lock, I would be very tempted. But the OP doesn't even have easy lock, does it?

well i was referring to the core watches i think the colourful stuff is really to appeal to ladies if im honest :D

the OP didnt have an easy link (i suppose to cement its place as the entry level watch) but maybe they have changed this with the newer one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

well i was referring to the core watches i think the colourful stuff is really to appeal to ladies if im honest :D

the OP didnt have an easy link (i suppose to cement its place as the entry level watch) but maybe they have changed this with the newer one?

Easy link now standard on the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Where is the best place to get a good value secondhand two-tone gold & steel black Rolex submariner secondhand which would be my preferred choice in that price range. I would be prepared to travel. I know of somebody who secured one with papers about 5 years ago for around Stg£5k from a reputable London jewellers.They have increased in price since then but I'm sure they will fall with the recession?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Currently £10.5k is the cheapest on Watchfinder and that's without box and papers. 12 with papers.

Chrono24 shows one at €8k from Germany without box or papers. About 9 with papers.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Currently £10.5k is the cheapest on Watchfinder and that's without box and papers. 12 with papers.

Chrono24 shows one at €8k from Germany without box or papers. About 9 with papers.

That watchfinder price is almost as expensive as new ~€12k.

I assume prices will fall. Is watchfinder a big co. If I were to buy a Rolex secondhand I would be reluctant to buy from a private seller. Would it be easier to get a good price abroad?

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    That watchfinder price is almost as expensive as new ~€12k.

I assume prices will fall. Is watchfinder a big co. If I were to buy a Rolex secondhand I would be reluctant to buy from a private seller. Would it be easier to get a good price abroad?

prices have been rising for years. why do you assume they will fall?

watchfinder are legit but expensive, biggest used dealer in EU and now owned by richemont (look them up) :)

• Advertisement

I wouldn't use watchfinder unless you have to trade in a watch that is hard to shift and you don't mind paying an extra few grand for the convenience

unkel wrote: »
    I wouldn't use watchfinder unless you have to trade in a watch that is hard to shift and you don't mind paying an extra few grand for the convenience

ive done probably a dozen deals with watchfinder and i dont think i ever felt shortchanged, ive also declined a dozen more.

they pay more for popular watches than you can sell them for privately sometimes so you can do well on trades.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Because they always do in a bubble like this C. The only question is when.

People/companies within such a bubble are invested in it so don't want to see or believe it hoping to pass on whatever gains before the house of cards collapses. I've regularly seen watch pundits on the back of the current trend claim that SS Rolex were always on the rise year on year, which is a complete nonsense. Hell, you couldn't give Daytonas away in the 80's. They were never popular when new either, hence the vintage ones are rare. In the 80's the Rolex' that held their value were the precious metal examples, because of the intrinsic value of the metals themselves. Yes secondhand Rolex prices were higher than your jeweller shops window average watch brands, but they were lower, way lower than new.

In the 90's the specifically Rolex bubble was ironically bubblebacks and early Oysters. I remember having a similar conversation with guys on the Timezone forum about that being a bubble too. To shouts of No Way! and yes false beliefs like "they always gained in value". I had a few of such watches at the time, but lost interest in them and luckily got out way before the bust(before the mad prices too, so no great foresight on my part :D). And what a bust it was. Near overnight they just stopped being mentioned in editorials and forums and the like.

Now I don't think the SS Rolex bubble will deflate so quickly or so completely and we're still in the euphoria stage of the bubble to some degree and Rolex are extremely good at egging this stuff on and a solidly made and practical and mid tier watch like a Sub will always be sought after, but at this level? I seriously doubt it. They got away with raising them from mid tier to luxury in price and perceived "value" and now through squeezing supply have fuelled some madness, but it can't last long.

My 2cents anyway. Or 5 dollars since we're talking about Swiss watch brands. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

watchfinder are legit but expensive, biggest used dealer in EU and now owned by richemont (look them up) :)

It seemed to me that if a bad recession and people need cash what is the first thing to sell?

A Rolex watch...

Is a Rolex watch a priority in a Recession if in a precarious job..no

supply and demand

It is ridiculous that there is a waiting list for a Rolex watch. You're obviously paying for the name. How long will this demand last in a recession I wonder

ive done probably a dozen deals with watchfinder and i dont think i ever felt shortchanged, ive also declined a dozen more.

they pay more for popular watches than you can sell them for privately sometimes so you can do well on trades.

Would you recommend anywhere else apart from watchfinder for second hand Rolex

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It is ridiculous that there is a waiting list for a Rolex watch. You're obviously paying for the name. How long will this demand last in a recession I wonder
    A recession can fuel such bubbles. When the usual investment routes are squeezed and seen as low return, even unsafe, then it's common enough for mutually agreed "items of value" to be bought into instead. Think on this; the Rolex crazy demand/bubble kicked off soon after the 07 global financial crisis.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Wibbs wrote: »
    A recession can fuel such bubbles. When the usual investment routes are squeezed and seen as low return, even unsafe, then it's common enough for mutually agreed "items of value" to be bought into instead. Think on this; the Rolex crazy demand/bubble kicked off soon after the 07 global financial crisis.

And 'past performance is no guarantee of future results'.

It seems as if there is a bubble already pre-covid for Rolex.

It seemed to me that if a bad recession and people need cash what is the first thing to sell?

A Rolex watch...

Is a Rolex watch a priority in a Recession if in a precarious job..no

supply and demand

yes maybe but you need that recession to be everywhere, part of the reason rolexes are so scare at the moment is because asian tourists hoover them up in europe.

and the waiting list may be ridiculous yet you still want one go figure :)

anyway im not in this for investment purposes if they fall in value then what i want to move to will also fall so all the same to me, but i dont see prices going south any time soon personally.

that said if hulk prices go mad in the next few months ill let mine go.

Would you recommend anywhere else apart from watchfinder for second hand Rolex

chrono24 for eu dealers, adverts for irish ones, or join a forum and buy privately.

have done them all :D

• Advertisement

It seems as if there is a bubble already pre-covid for Rolex.
    And Rolex reduced their production output for 2020 by 20%. They're very skilled at stoking the supply/demand and perceived exclusivity fire. They're one of the single best companies at marketing throughout their history, right from the founder, who was an absolute 24 carat genius at spotting and developing niches in the market, including the new fangled wristwatch itself.

chrono24 for eu dealers, adverts for irish ones, or join a forum and buy privately.

have done them all :D

This is a general comment and not referring to Chrono 24 or any other company mentioned here but how do you safeguard against buying a dud , apart from asking for Rolex papers?

This is a general comment and not referring to Chrono 24 or any other company mentioned here but how do you safeguard against buying a dud , apart from asking for Rolex papers?

buy the seller,

buying from watchfinder is essentially risk free imo, buying privately you would want to buy from someone with references etc, and any other dealer again just depends on their provenance, history, reputation etc etc

just to note chrono 24 is a market place for sellers rather than a seller itself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Because they always do in a bubble like this C. The only question is when.

People/companies within such a bubble are invested in it so don't want to see or believe it hoping to pass on whatever gains before the house of cards collapses. I've regularly seen watch pundits on the back of the current trend claim that SS Rolex were always on the rise year on year, which is a complete nonsense. Hell, you couldn't give Daytonas away in the 80's. They were never popular when new either, hence the vintage ones are rare. In the 80's the Rolex' that held their value were the precious metal examples, because of the intrinsic value of the metals themselves. Yes secondhand Rolex prices were higher than your jeweller shops window average watch brands, but they were lower, way lower than new.

In the 90's the specifically Rolex bubble was ironically bubblebacks and early Oysters. I remember having a similar conversation with guys on the Timezone forum about that being a bubble too. To shouts of No Way! and yes false beliefs like "they always gained in value". I had a few of such watches at the time, but lost interest in them and luckily got out way before the bust(before the mad prices too, so no great foresight on my part :D). And what a bust it was. Near overnight they just stopped being mentioned in editorials and forums and the like.

Now I don't think the SS Rolex bubble will deflate so quickly or so completely and we're still in the euphoria stage of the bubble to some degree and Rolex are extremely good at egging this stuff on and a solidly made and practical and mid tier watch like a Sub will always be sought after, but at this level? I seriously doubt it. They got away with raising them from mid tier to luxury in price and perceived "value" and now through squeezing supply have fuelled some madness, but it can't last long.

My 2cents anyway. Or 5 dollars since we're talking about Swiss watch brands. :D

It's an interesting and brave strategy. Clearly it works so who am I to question it.

Can you imagine being a senior executive trying to convince a board NOT to produce more of a product that people are buying and immediately selling for profit! (don't know if rolex structured like that, but the point remains). Of course I get it, the product is only selling for more because of its perceived value and exclusivity etc, but surely you'd fancy producing even a few more if you were the company?

What's rolexs thought process on flipping? It's just a few and it fuels demand which, for the most part is probably met by new rolex sales anyway? Eg for every person on a watch forum talking about a rolex they want to pay over rrp for, there's probably a multiple of quiet sales? But against that rolex hold back the paperwork for a period of time?

I was on a waiting list for one (and I have to say I found the very idea most bizarre) and by the time I was offered a watch I had changed my mind and bought a different brand. I have no intention of ever going back to try buy a rolex again, in some bizarre guessing game of maybe I'll be offered a watch in a year or two, or maybe I won't.... No, I've decided to spend X amount on a watch and if rolex doesn't want to sell me one, fine, I'll buy another.. I guess rolex don't care as there is another punter queuing up pleading to spend money, but it means rolex are turning down any impulse type purchase sales, in addition to the other sales above.

As you say, they are geniuses and good look to them, I admire the balls on them to behave this way but don't think I could run a company like that! (just to be clear, I don't dispute they are doing a better job than I ever would! I'm just saying I would find it hard not to sell in demand products to people and make profit!)

I was on a waiting list for one (and I have to say I found the very idea most bizarre) and by the time I was offered a watch I had changed my mind and bought a different brand. I have no intention of ever going back to try buy a rolex again

Just as well. That Rolex dealer will never sell you a Rolex again. Unless it's one of the unpopular (ladies) watches that they can't sell otherwise :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

I wonder what sort of hoops you have to jump through to become a Rolex AD. Its essentially a licence to print money. I guess the number of steel sports they send in your direction may be determined by the number of dual tone date justs and solid gold Cellinis you are selling .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭893bet

€14k for a plain black sub is beyond absurd. I doubt they will find a single imbecile who will buy at that price. I bet if you tried to sell one to them, brand new unworn, they'd give you not much more than half that for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭893bet

unkel wrote: »
    €14k for a plain black sub is beyond absurd. I doubt they will find a single imbecile who will buy at that price. I bet if you tried to sell one to them, brand new unworn, they'd give you not much more than half that for it...

I ain’t sure how much they were last week but it seems crazy. There are literally 100s of 1000 of that watch in circulation.

I note only a single hulk on site. Pulled back to make them seem rare and drive up price no doubt.

• Advertisement

I ain’t sure how much they were last week but it seems crazy. There are literally 100s of 1000 of that watch in circulation.

I note only a single hulk on site. Pulled back to make them seem rare and drive up price no doubt.

I’ll try in a week or two see what they offer for mine

Advertisement