Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf courses allowing visitors ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Thanks for the screen cap. Just a couple of points.

There's no need to call people names. Way OTT. You've also assumed that the club can't do this. Have you read their constitution? Do you know what consultation process they entered into with members? And what the outcome of that was? If I was a member there, I'd be pretty p1ssed off at some randomer from outside the club, appointing themselves as arbiter of what they can or can't do. Breathtaking arrogance imo.

And finally. Five clubs have closed their doors permanently due to the lockdown that I know of. And until the end of June, have no means to earn extra income from visitors and societies to make up the shortfall in lost income from over three months of closure. If Fermoy closed, the only other club within 20Km of Fermoy is Mitchelstown. I'm sure the members would appreciate having to drive that distance (if they even could due to restrictions) for the sake of a fiver every time they play. And of course the loss of their sub for the year.

Look I'll just leave this last comment because it's tedious. Didn't call any individual person a name - It was a club I was speaking to.

Not sure how this can be even close to being conceived as arrogance - But if you can't handle reading/listening to things like it I genuinely worry for you.

Obv it's a disagreement but it's not good. There's other ways to do money raisers without forcing people to do it without them having a say, and if they don't do it they can't play - That cannot be defended.

That's genuinely my last comment on it because it isn't worth my time. I will read your response though if you give one..but I will probably laugh at it if it's a double-down on everything you've already said.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

callaway92 wrote: »
    Look I'll just leave this last comment because it's tedious. Didn't call any individual person a name - It was a club I was speaking to.

Not sure how this can be even close to being conceived as arrogance - But if you can't handle reading/listening to things like it I genuinely worry for you.

Obv it's a disagreement but it's not good. There's other ways to do money raisers without forcing people to do it without them having a say, and if they don't do it they can't play - That cannot be defended.

That's genuinely my last comment on it because it isn't worth my time. I will read your response though if you give one..but I will probably laugh at it if it's a double-down on everything you've already said.
    You called them 'scumbags'. That's referring to the committee of a golf club. All identifiable people. I'll leave it at that, but I see you've addressed none of the other points I made. But continue (without evidence) to say that the members had no input. Completely ignoring the fact that the members elect the committee and delegate decision making to them by doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

You called them 'scumbags'. That's referring to the committee of a golf club. All identifiable people. I'll leave it at that, but I see you've addressed none of the other points I made. But continue (without evidence) to say that the members had no input. Completely ignoring the fact that the members elect the committee and delegate decision making to them by doing so.

Callaway92 never called them “scumbags” or I can’t see it anyway.
    He said it was scummy thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Glebee wrote: »
    Probally happening in most places. 3 ball booked in fornt of us on Thurday evening did not show and one of them was the captain. BRS is fairly full most evenings as well. It would definitly make you turn up for your tee time if it was a deposit only.

They should get a 2 week ban on BRS. Its bad enough during normal times but no shows when slots are at a premium is not on. It takes 30 seconds to cancel you booking so someone else has a chance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

@prawnshambo
    Please take the tone down in your replies.
    Saying another poster was calling people names and in particular "scumbags" when this was not the case on Boards posts is simply out of order.
    Reply to the post and not the poster.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Our course has had a starter on the first tee since reopening, to ensure people turn up / the correct people show up (for contract tracing etc). Serious amount of free time being offered up by some members. Had to put my name forward for a couple of hours, after seeing what was going on.

It's probably excessive but a side effect is that people know a no show will be reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Our course have told us that we will not be opening up to guests next week. They want to ensure that all those who abided by the 5km restrictions have no issue getting a tee time, which is only fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

fearruanua wrote: »
    Our course have told us that we will not be opening up to guests next week. They want to ensure that all those who abided by the 5km restrictions have no issue getting a tee time, which is only fair.

thats fair

one of my clubs are now not only going to allow members bring visitors, but are also now saying that members can no longer play any more than 2 rounds per week where it had been a free for all restricted to 3 last week.

this is where the time sheet is chockers full. a real FU to the members, while they start counting the cash from visitor green fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

fearruanua wrote: »

Thats a fair call right enough. Plus, theres a lot of clubs who even without getting into their long distance ones would have a fair scatter of members who are over the 20k even. So they still cant get back for another month or whatever. So when they come back it will only add to the rush to get a slot. limiting the games a week, or to one at the weekend or whatever, is really the best way, so that there are always a few slots free.

Seve OB wrote: »
    thats fair

one of my clubs are now not only going to allow members bring visitors, but are also now saying that members can no longer play any more than 2 rounds per week where it had been a free for all restricted to 3 last week.

this is where the time sheet is chockers full. a real FU to the members, while they start counting the cash from visitor green fees.

If its a regular club and not a business one, then the members and the club are the same. So members saying FU to themselves.

• Advertisement

If its a regular club and not a business one, then the members and the club are the same. So members saying FU to themselves.

its a business one (thought that was obvious)
    anyway, in fairness i just got an email saying that they are postponing member guests, so at least they are doing the decent thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

its a business one (thought that was obvious)
    anyway, in fairness i just got an email saying that they are postponing member guests, so at least they are doing the decent thing

But bringing a guest is your privilege as a member so your actually losing more for your membership.

Ollieboy wrote: »
    But bringing a guest is your privilege as a member so your actually losing more for your membership.

i join a club to be a member of the club and play with the members and not so i can show it off to my friends. i'll bring guests as and when it suits and is appropriate.

members come first, i don't think i have more right to bring my guest at the expense of a member getting their game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Which club is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

i join a club to be a member of the club and play with the members and not so i can show it off to my friends. i'll bring guests as and when it suits and is appropriate.

members come first, i don't think i have more right to bring my guest at the expense of a member getting their game

That’s not what I said, if my club sold new membership and took away my privilege as a member then I would be unhappy member and the place we are talking about is not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Are you sure? I know some clubs are doing membership offers and even one month memberships like New Forest.

Where did you hear that? I'm a member and not aware of this offer. Hope it is not true. Really challenging at the moment to get a game there.

To some members thougj, bringing a guest is an important part of their membership, and they are perfectly entitled to take that view. So stopping them from doing so would be unfair from their view. Stopping that option for them, so that members can get out five times a week isn't necessarily fairer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Where did you hear that? I'm a member and not aware of this offer. Hope it is not true. Really challenging at the moment to get a game there.
    The offer is over now. It ran for May from what I recall. Was reported here, on the website and on Twitter. First saw it when (iirc) Kevin Markham retweeted it and checked the website to confirm. €100 for the month.

Edit: Here's where it was first mentioned here:
    davegilly wrote: »
    I got an email from New Forest GC and they are offering Monthly membership this summer from June to end of August for €100 a month.

I think it’s a great idea. Brings in some badly needed money. I don’t think the courses will be anywhere near as busy as people seem to think when they open.

The whole landscape has changed completely. There is the travelling restrictions, loads of people are now unemployed, over 70’s in fear of their life if they go outside the door, society’s and green fees are gone plus loads haven’t paid their subs either because they can’t afford it or didn’t bother because the course was closed. Even the big guns like Ballybunion, Lahunch etc need money. The Yankee dollar is gone for this year at the very least.

Courses need money so I would imagine be delighted to hear from anyone interested in any kind of membership. Ring and ask.

To some members thougj, bringing a guest is an important part of their membership, and they are perfectly entitled to take that view. So stopping them from doing so would be unfair from their view. Stopping that option for them, so that members can get out five times a week isn't necessarily fairer.

members should always have priority over visitors. its the whole point of being a member

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

You'll find most clubs as part of their membership allow member guests to avail of green fees at reduced rates and don't segment tee times specifically for member guests to avail of. It's effectively still the same, outside of member only times if all the tee times are booked up by societies, green fees etc... then it's tough luck - in the current case all the tee times are already allocated to the members.

It doesn't devalue you membership in anyway if there is no time times for a guest, you are not paying for guest tee times that you cannot access. As a member you can also play 5 times a week, like those members you deem being unfair - it would be only unfair if those members were taking up the slots preventing the you/other members from playing.

On another note, I have a few colleagues who joined Lisheen Springs on the Flexi scheme whinging about the not being able to bring guests in Phase 2. A number of them clubbed together to buy a few memberships, so they could effectively game the membership and run a few society outings/casual golf until everything opened up for green fees. This sort of behaviour with existing & new members of clubs would sicken you, therefore clubs need to look after the members who stuck with them during the pandemic first and foremost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Members guests will and always should be behind other members when it comes to playing rights. There can be no argument here.
    Without members there simply are no members guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Are you on a wind up?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

If I'm a Full member Im entitled to play 7 days a week if I choose, I may not play at all but I and other full members in all clubs pay top dollar for that privilege, Guests can play if spots are available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

My son and I are members in 2 separate clubs in the Dublin area. We'd both play as guests in the others club regularly. Neither are currently allowing guests due to capacity and giving priority to their members. You gotta respect their decision in the current circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Anyone hear anything about driving ranges reopening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Happy4all wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything about driving ranges reopening?

Most are open if ot all

Elmgreen was jammed yesterday when I went up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

Elm Green is hardly taking walk ups/visitors? Would have thought a lot of their custom would be punters like myself walking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

franglan wrote: »
    Elm Green is hardly taking walk ups/visitors? Would have thought a lot of their custom would be punters like myself walking up.

Elm green you need to sign up for a range card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

And a range card can be got for the exact price of your bucket. So anyone can just walk up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

gypsy79 wrote: »
    And a range card can be got for the exact price of your bucket. So anyone can just walk up

i asume the card is for contact tracing

Advertisement