Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf courses allowing visitors ?

Options
  • 25-05-2020 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all,
    I'm not a member anywhere as we usually just play different courses based on online deals.
    All the courses we know are applying the GUI guidance and not allowing visitors until 29th June.
    Are there any pay and play courses in greater Dublin area that are open to visitors now? Not trying to break rules, just wondering if are visitor only courses who are allowed to open.
    Dying for a game, especially in this weather!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Right behind you here. Can't wait to get out but non member of a club has kept me in the garden putting for the open😬

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Most clubs won’t have any space at the weekend due to social distancing and pricing will be high due to massive demand, so my advice, join a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Guests of members from June 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Some clubs are taking guest green fees. The obvious place to look are those maybe rural and or with low membership numbers. Not all clubs have heaving time sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

morrga wrote: »
    Some clubs are taking guest green fees. The obvious place to look are those maybe rural and or with low membership numbers. Not all clubs have heaving time sheets.

Which clubs? Is this not against the regulations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Are you sure? I know some clubs are doing membership offers and even one month memberships like New Forest.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

Look for somewhere that has a golf course possibly attached to a hotel. Ballymascanlan near Dundalk and Slieve Russell are two I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I believe Glen Mill is Open for vistors, non GUI as only par 3

Probably a few others similar without GUI affiliation. The par 3/pitch and putt in finglas was open too I believe.

Is there any non GUI gold course about? the only one I can think of in Ireland are Hogs Head ( no chance of a game there ) and Ballymascanlon near Dundalk.

Roganstown wasn't adhering to regulations before the second restrictions, 2 courses there. Maybe pick up the phone and ask.

We should do u a list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

I believe Glen Mill is Open for vistors, non GUI as only par 3

Probably a few others similar without GUI affiliation. The par 3/pitch and putt in finglas was open too I believe.

Is there any non GUI gold course about? the only one I can think of in Ireland are Hogs Head ( no chance of a game there ) and Ballymascanlon near Dundalk.

Roganstown wasn't adhering to regulations before the second restrictions, 2 courses there. Maybe pick up the phone and ask.

We should do u a list

Roganstown are members only

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Look for somewhere that has a golf course possibly attached to a hotel. Ballymascanlan near Dundalk and Slieve Russell are two I can think of.

Hearsay..can't come on here and name courses like that

• Advertisement

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Ballymascanlon seem to be taking green fees. From their website:
    The golf course at Ballymascanlon House Hotel will reopen on Monday 18th of May 2020.

Monday to Thursday - 9 or 18 Holes - All Day - €25.00
    Friday/ Saturday / Sunday - 9 or 18 Holes - All Day - €35.00

Edit: Slieve Russell don't allow visitor booking until June 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

GreeBo wrote: »

Not against regulations, against GUI guidance. 5km is regulations but that s a different thing

Look for courses without GUI affiliation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Mod note

Stay away from discussions on travel distance restrictions please

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i've heard of a club who are allowing members guests :(

It’s not hearsay when I played Ballymascanlan last Tuesday and have played Slieve Russell as a non member last September

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

In the interests of balance, the Ballymascanlon doesn’t have any members.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

Presumably when the next phase starts, and members can bring guests, those guests don’t have to be GUI affiliated? Correct me if I am wrong please

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

It’s not hearsay when I played Ballymascanlan last Tuesday and have played Slieve Russell as a non member last September

You could have played anywhere last September so what relevance does that have now ??

they should not be. while they can't be expected to police the 5km rule, to accept green fees would be a total disregard to the rule and they should be made pay the consequences.
    Not against regulations, against GUI guidance. 5km is regulations but that s a different thing

Look for courses without GUI affiliation.

no, it goes against the regulations laid out by the government and has nothing do do with GUI affiliation
    Q. Can I pay a green fee to play at my local course?
    A. The basis on which golf has been permitted, by Government, to restart from 18th May includes a provision that golf is for members only in phase 1. The inclusion of guests and/or visitors may have resulted in a later return for all golfers. Ireland is still in the serious stages of a public health emergency and golf must ensure it plays its part in limiting the spread of the virus, including limiting movement (including cross-border) and making contact tracing easier for the authorities. In Phase 2, members will be permitted to bring guests, provided their club permits them to do so, whilst Phase 3 will see the return of visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Stepaside par 3 is open to public. Obviously ring before and book a slot with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Malahide Castle Par 3 is open need to book a few days in advance.

You could have played anywhere last September so what relevance does that have now ??

You’re a pedantic prick.

Mod Note:No need for that

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

GreeBo wrote: »

Clubs need to survive.

Clubs need to survive.

so do plenty of other businesses. but i don't see them opening their doors when they shouldn't be

Seve OB wrote: »
    so do plenty of other businesses. but i don't see them opening their doors when they shouldn't be
    I kow of a good few businesses that adopted ingenious ways of staying open whilst being closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Clubs need to survive.

Yeah, they should probably start fencing stuff too, as a top up.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I kow of a good few businesses that adopted ingenious ways of staying open whilst being closed.

Well open and operating might be slightly different but they have been clever and stayed within the rules and kudos to them.
    For a golf club to allow Visitors play because they “need to survive” is clearly against the rules.

Let them come up with ingenious ways to operate and fair play. Not really sure how it is possible though but it’s only a couple of weeks..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hear there are some courses charging a small joining fee and then you play the full green fee every time you play.
    Way of getting around no green fees for the first 2 phases.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Fermoy golf club charge €800 a year to join and are now charging €5 for each time you book a game on the BRS. Are there any other clubs succumbing to those levels of greed.

• Advertisement

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Fermoy golf club charge €800 a year to join and are now charging €5 for each time you book a game on the BRS. Are there any other clubs succumbing to those levels of greed.
    You need to be sure it's greed and not necessity.

Advertisement