Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

When Bo Martin became Shane's caddy it was deemed a great move, but even he doesn't appear to be able to get any consistency into Shane's game right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

When Bo Martin became Shane's caddy it was deemed a great move, but even he doesn't appear to be able to get any consistency into Shane's game right now.

And his old caddie Dermot Byrne was on the bag for Kilkenny amateur Mark Power, who made three birdies in his last 5 holes, to more than likely make the cut on the number at 5 over.

In complete darkness, Lowry just managed to finish round two. Sadly no eagle for the 2019 Open champion, so he will miss the cut by 2 shots, at 7 over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Up North working for Sky. Was covering Shane's group on the third tee. Hit his drive left into trees. No green flag from marshalls. He proceeded to hit three provisionals after that, two way left until he found the fairway with the third. Very, very lucky Cotzea found his first ball.

Walking off the tee, not knowing his ball would be found he says to the lads "...... and I have to go and talk to the media after this".

Wombatman wrote: »
    Up North working for Sky. Was covering Shane's group on the third tee. Hit his drive left into trees. No green flag from marshalls. He proceeded to hit three provisionals after that, two way left until he found the fairway with the third. Very, very lucky Cotzea found his first ball.

Walking off the tee, not knowing his ball would be found he says to the lads "...... and I have to go and talk to the media after this".

Wow wombatman! If Coetzee as you said didn't find his ball, with his drive at 3, then he could be looking at a double digit score on that hole.

How was his mood. Was he any chatty?

How did you get the gig from sky, in Galgorm this week, wombatman? You are a very lucky person indeed, fair play to you for getting the attention of sky in the first place!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

New Era wrote: »
    Wow wombatman! If Coetzee as you said didn't find his ball, with his drive at 3, then he could be looking at a double digit score on that hole.

How was his mood. Was he any chatty?

How did you get the gig from sky, in Galgorm this week, wombatman? You are a very lucky person indeed, fair play to you for getting the attention of sky in the first place!!

His mood was pretty good actually. I think he was resigned to not making the cut but you could see he was still trying his best.

Bo was a little too passive throughout the whole affair on the 3rd.

Have worked as a TV assistant for the last 7 Irish Opens. Had forgotten about it after it was cancelled earlier in the year but got a late call up two weeks ago out of the blue. Have to do a full Covid test before being allowed into the "bio-secure bubble". Only allowed to be at course or in hotel between now and Sunday evening.

Walking the fairways with a mic this year to pick up player and caddie chats and swing sounds.

They are under reading the greens big time and also struggling with the wind.

Course in great condition for the time of year. Pure fairways and greens. They bearly need preferred lies. Could never host a proper Irish Open, with fans, as transport and parking would be a disaster.

Witnessed a player trying to get relief where a buggy drove through rough. He was claiming machinery tracks. Called judge over who promptly told him where to go. Wouldn't be surprised if they tried to claim relief from push trolley tracks through rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Shane not playing for 6 weeks now it seems from his statement to rte

"Sometimes you need a break. That might help me. I’ve got three tournaments left this season (the Houston Open, Masters and RSM Classic) .

I guess he feels he needs to find his game and with a scorecard isn't the place

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Shane not playing for 6 weeks now it seems from his statement to rte

"Sometimes you need a break. That might help me. I’ve got three tournaments left this season (the Houston Open, Masters and RSM Classic) .

I guess he feels he needs to find his game and with a scorecard isn't the place

I love Shane .

But is it just a misjudgment by me ? he seems to play just way too little golf.

Is he much lower on tournament count ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I love Shane .

But is it just a misjudgment by me ? he seems to play just way too little golf.

Is he much lower on tournament count ?

He plays more golf than pretty much everyone else in the worlds top 50.

Great to have so many experts on Shane's golf and his life in general.

Getting as bad as the Rory thread.

• Advertisement

Is this not a discussion forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Unfortunately a poor Irish Open by all our players.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Unfortunately a poor Irish Open by all our players.

The pro players yes. But I think sugrue is doing well for an amatuer with limited experience at this level

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Exactly wrote: »

Oh great, let's turn yet another thread into a love-fest. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

GreeBo wrote: »
    Oh great, let's turn yet another thread into a love-fest. :rolleyes:

But everyone does love Shane!
    & Padraig
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Is this not a discussion forum?

Forum is in danger of becoming Peaksville!
    And, if by some strange chance, you should run across him, you had best think only good thoughts. Anything less than that is handled at your own risk, because if you do meet Anthony, you can be sure of one thing: you have entered The Twilight Zone.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_Good_Life_(The_Twilight_Zone)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Back to talking about golf people. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

European tour and owgr have him down for wentworth this week

A decent record around here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Trampas wrote: »
    European tour and owgr have him down for wentworth this week

A decent record around here

I thought he was taking six weeks off. Hopefully he puts in a good performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Change of mind for Shane, said at the Irish Open he would be taking a good break and playing just three more tournaments in the US around the time of the Masters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

amlinopta wrote: »
    Change of mind for Shane, said at the Irish Open he would be taking a good break and playing just three more tournaments in the US around the time of the Masters.

I would say being current open champion and not playing in the European tour flagship event would have raised a few eyebrows . Looks bad when you see the likes of Patrick Reed making the the trip over .

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

rooney30 wrote: »
    I would say being current open champion and not playing in the European tour flagship event would have raised a few eyebrows . Looks bad when you see the likes of Patrick Reed making the the trip over .

That may well have come into it. Reed and Rose making the trip but the likes of Rahm, Garcia, Casey and a few of the other top Europeans aren't travelling. Erik Van Rooyen sixth favourite with the bookies for the Tour's flagship event. Still, Shane has a decent record there, hopefully plays well.

He had a lot of painting to do at home after being away but he got it done quicker than expected and is now free to play thing week :D

*Reference to painting is the pics posted on Instagram of him painting a fence at home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Not sure it si a good idea....think he could have done with a little more time not playing

A break is as good as a change and all that!

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Not sure it si a good idea....think he could have done with a little more time not playing

A break is as good as a change and all that!

He has a good record around Wentworth although they are not used to playing it at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's possible he figured out what's been going on and no better place for a confidence boost than a track where he's been in contention quite a lot over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's possible he figured out what's been going on and no better place for a confidence boost than a track where he's been in contention quite a lot over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

Don’t forget that it’s the European Tour’s flagship event and they want as many as possible of their top players to take part in it. And it’s worth 64 world ranking points to the winner, so it could give a real boost to his world ranking position if he performs well.

Nice pairing with Tommy Fleetwood & Danny Willett.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Do European tour do appearance fees?

Advertisement