Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Epoxy

• 01-11-2018 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

West 105 system is a good epoxy and an orbital sander should do the job
    on the wood

I saw this quote on another thread, but didn't want to go off topic. Would this be suitable for resealing GRP hull and sealing edges of plywood as well?

Also, where is the best place to purchase from?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Waller and Wickham in Baldoyle can supply West 105, I've used them plenty of times, also a good source of actual marine ply.

http://www.wallerwickham.ie/

However, when you say 'resealing' a GRP hull, what do you mean? Above or below waterline? Surface finishing? etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AdrianLM

Thanks Ferris,

Above the waterline, There are some areas which have been patched in the past or small areas where the glass fibers seem closer to the surface.

Good stuff, you can mix epoxy with an filler to make it into a fairing paste. You spread it on thinly and sand it down, preferably with sandpaper on a long board. However there may be other fairing compounds which are easier to work with. Tbh a lot of guys just use auto body filler and paint over but its quite porous and may give issues with paint.

Also a sander is unlikely to help as its pad is too small and will result in low spots from digging in.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Is the boat painted or gelcoat if it's gelcoat it might be worth getting "plastic padding" it's a gelcoat repair kit and will give you a polished finish if you wanted one, if the old fibres are showing you will have to sand down into it to remove any dirt and dampness. Have a read through Dames sticky https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056217528 you should pick up lots of tips and tricks.

Thanks for the tips. The boat was painted previously, it's not a case that it was over sanded, it just seems that there are a few apparent weak points in the GRP as you go higher up the hull. Maybe I'm being overly cautious.

I'll have a read of the sticky. Thanks again

• Advertisement

I think you need to assess if there is damage in these areas. Do the patches flex when pressure is applied? Surveyors tap the hull with a small hammer to see if the tone of the tap changes to indicate damage to the laminate, might be worth a try. Do you have any pictures?

In any case the layup of your boat should be very durable, generally they built them heavy in the 70's as GRP was a relatively new material and laminate thicknesses erred on the cautious side. My uncle had an Elysian 34 and it was built like a tank, my dad had a Seamaster 30 which was similarly heavily built in the hull (albeit not in the deck - a common issue).

In any case the layup of your boat should be very durable, generally they built them heavy in the 70's as GRP was a relatively new material and laminate thicknesses erred on the cautious side. My uncle had an Elysian 34 and it was built like a tank, my dad had a Seamaster 30 which was similarly heavily built in the hull (albeit not in the deck - a common issue).

Definately correct about that, it weighs over 3 tons. I had another look yesterday, the patches I'm concerned about all seem to be in areas where holes were filled previously I.e were fittings were removed for example a sink outlet, whoever repaired them got carried away with a sander. I hadn't been on boards for a long time and lost my login due to an issue with gmail and forgetting my boards password:mad: I can't post pictures until I have 50 posts, I'll have to start posting recipes in the food forum or something:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you want to PM me some photos I will put them up for you. :)

Thanks Fergal, I'm nearly at 50 (in more ways than 1 unfortunately). Another few posts and I'll start a thread on the re fit.

Advertisement