Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sealing Boat window "Glazing to frame"

• 26-10-2018 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi, Almost all my windows are leaking between the glazing and the frame. There seems to be 2 approaches to resealing them

One approach uses Butyl as outlined here:

https://www.pbo.co.uk/expert-advice/renovating-boat-windows-27718

as it happens my windows have the same extrusion as shown above.

The second approach seems to use a rubber seal as outline in this iwai post:

https://www.iwai.ie/forum/read.php?1,61305

The windows had previously used this method, I've removed 1/2/ of them from the boat and have taken them apart. But not too sure which method to use to re seal them. Just interested to see what your thoughts are?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Did this on the current boat, absolute nightmare but a necessary fix as the interior of the boat was suffering. We tried using rubber seal with sikaflex and still had leaks but maybe we did it wrong. We then used sika on its own, breaking down and cleaning the windows, bedding the glass in sika in the frames, reassembly of the frames and fitting and sealing them into the boat while there were still 'wet' so that the windows would fit.

A few improvements I would make if I had to do it again:

Sika is great but its pricey and it sets hard. Arbomast is non setting and as such probably makes a better choice, allows flex and movement. Also I believe that the builders Arbomast is the same gear, just without the markup.

I'd build the windows in a jig so that you can let them set in the correct shape to go back into the ope.

I'd consider renovating the aluminium frames, if possible, possibly by re-anodising. This would make a lovely job as frequently they will have scratches etc. on them. Similarly for glass, if scratched, I'd replace.

There is a handy cutter that windscreen replacement firms use to cut the sealant around the window frame which would be useful. Also some suction cups to position the glass would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AdrianLM

Thanks Ferris,

There are some scratches on the frames all right but the glass seems to be scratch free. As rubber was used before it wasn't too bad taking them apart aside from having to drill out the heads of the screws as the slot head countersunk screws wouldn't budge.

Advertisement