Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a marinas annual fee cover living on the boat?

Options
  • 05-08-2018 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hi, was abroad recently and got chatting to a couple who live on their boat in a marina (big motorcruiser). Was wondering if this is common place/allowed in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Generally not allowed. Issues around environment and waste

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Kiwi John

Some do some do not and some that offically do not will let it go if you keep a low profile.It is handy for them especially in winter when there is no one around to have some one around for security and replacing broken lines and sorting out lose furling sails.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Kiwi John wrote: »
    Some do some do not and some that offically do not will let it go if you keep a low profile.It is handy for them especially in winter when there is no one around to have some one around for security and replacing broken lines and sorting out lose furling sails.

Ok, interesting, by nature i'm an extremely low profile person anyway and also pretty handy at fixing stuff. Has anyone any advice on how I should approach a marina to find out further.

I have a boat at on a marina and the manager asked me when I got there if I was living aboard so he could find the best place to put me.
    Could be best to make some inquiries with boatowners first though as some will say no if you ring them up.Most boat owners would know if there is some one living on the marina.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Kiwi John wrote: »
    I have a boat at on a marina and the manager asked me when I got there if I was living aboard so he could find the best place to put me.
    Could be best to make some inquiries with boatowners first though as some will say no if you ring them up.Most boat owners would know if there is some one living on the marina.

Thanks. Short of strolling onto a marina and asking boat owners directly, do you know of any website/Facebook page used by Irish boat owners etc...

I find it strange this style of living is not more prevalent in Ireland considering we are entirely surrounded by water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

From reading about this a few years back, apart from some spaces on the Grand Canal, Waterways Ireland are not allowing people to permanently live along the rivers or lakes.

They won't allow or issue addresses so that people can permanently avail of services such as ESB, water, sanitation etc.

Waterways Ireland dont control coastal marinas that would be local authority area and I would not think many had any policy for or against.Most marinas nowdays have card operated electric points and pump out points but you would need some outside address. I did live in a marina in Australia that let you use the Marina office as an address but would think that that was somethink they most likely regretted starting as they ended up running a mail service for about 30 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

Biggest number of marina-liveaboards i know of is in East Loch Tarbert, Scotland.
    They have been there for years but think the harbour master is starting to put a bit of pressure on lately...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

When marinas do allow liveaboards, the services are usually much improved and this is reflected in the fees.

Eg.https://www.southwark.gov.uk/leisure-and-sport/south-dock-marina/mooring-fees
    Facilities

leisure berths (70)
    residential berths (130)
    boatyard
    shower and toilet blocks (3)
    water and electric
    secure access
    CCTV
    trolleys
    laundry
    utility and ironing room
    crane 20 tons
    broadband at the berth
    Wi-Fi (available to marina office visitors)
    fuel (appointment only at the fuel barge)
    sewage pump (at berth via pump out boat)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ok, interesting, by nature i'm an extremely low profile person anyway and also pretty handy at fixing stuff. Has anyone any advice on how I should approach a marina to find out further.

Did you ever go to a marina about this in the end?

I'm visiting my boat in Malahide quite a lot during the week lately (the advantages of being home based), and have noticed a live aboard out there (I'm pretty sure theres more than 1 as well).
    So it does seem to happen and is allowed allowed (in Malahide anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Did you ever go to a marina about this in the end?

I'm visiting my boat in Malahide quite a lot during the week lately (the advantages of being home based), and have noticed a live aboard out there (I'm pretty sure theres more than 1 as well).
    So it does seem to happen and is allowed allowed (in Malahide anyway).

Curious, is there any heads tank requirements there or is it pump out to sea?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Steve wrote: »
    Curious, is there any heads tank requirements there or is it pump out to sea?

I'd assume just pump out to sea, but also trying to use the marina facilities as much as possible.

The obvious one in Malahide, there appears to be an infant involved as well!

Advertisement