Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valencia Marathon 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Itziger wrote: »
    What do ye reckon ye sages of Boards? I'm slowly coming back from a hip problem that's screwed up 4 weeks, maybe 5, must check the data...... of training. In that time I've got out 2,3 or 4 times a week and I'm up to 40k now. So obviously way off where I should be. The plan HAD been to target a 2.54, maybe even train for a 2.52 and hope for the .54 on the day. 
    Now, I've got 10 weeks or so of training but I'm still not 100%. If the next physio session (today) goes well, and the one after that, I may be up to say 80k a week in 3 weeks' time. Thing is, I don't really want to do another 3.06/08/10 marathon. I did Stockholm in 3.08 cos of the heat and Lux in 3.16 as a training run earlier this year. 
    Is it too late to get my ass in shape (about 3 kilos to lose) for a lash off 2.59? Would I be better off signing up for the 10k instead? What about an informal, witty, handsome 3.30 pacer job?? Talk to me. Caveat: It's highly doubtful I'll listen to anything anyone suggests.

Personally I don't think 10 weeks is long enough to get you to where you want to be. The first thing you have to consider is will your hip be well enough to:
    A: Put in the training required.
    B: Run the damn thing.
    If the answer to either of these is honestly no, the forget about it. If you want a nice weekend away in Valencia, with a bit of racing thrown in and you think your hip will be up to it, then the 10k sounds like a good option.
    On the other hand, if your hip is better and you get get some decent training in and run the race without doing yourself any further damage, then you can pace me to a 3:08!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

What do ye reckon ye sages of Boards? I'm slowly coming back from a hip problem that's screwed up 4 weeks, maybe 5, must check the data...... of training. In that time I've got out 2,3 or 4 times a week and I'm up to 40k now. So obviously way off where I should be. The plan HAD been to target a 2.54, maybe even train for a 2.52 and hope for the .54 on the day. 
    Now, I've got 10 weeks or so of training but I'm still not 100%. If the next physio session (today) goes well, and the one after that, I may be up to say 80k a week in 3 weeks' time. Thing is, I don't really want to do another 3.06/08/10 marathon. I did Stockholm in 3.08 cos of the heat and Lux in 3.16 as a training run earlier this year. 
    Is it too late to get my ass in shape (about 3 kilos to lose) for a lash off 2.59? Would I be better off signing up for the 10k instead? What about an informal, witty, handsome 3.30 pacer job?? Talk to me. Caveat: It's highly doubtful I'll listen to anything anyone suggests.

If you are going travel to Valencia no matter the outcome I think you should register for the 10k, its only 18euro and would be a nice insurance policy to have in the back pocket. I believe its limited to 8,500 and sells out pretty quickly.

Otherwise, as others suggest, just plug away and see how it goes for the rest of sept/oct and make a call on it in Nov. You have a solid base with the Stockholm training and all the warm weather running over the summer. Think of how sweet 10 degrees in the low low Valencia sun will be in December. The forced rest may have been good for ya. In the meantime, tennis ball and target the glutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

If you are going travel to Valencia no matter the outcome I think you should register for the 10k, its only 18euro and would be a nice insurance policy to have in the back pocket. I believe its limited to 8,500 and sells out pretty quickly.

Otherwise, as others suggest, just plug away and see how it goes for the rest of sept/oct and make a call on it in Nov. You have a solid base with the Stockholm training and all the warm weather running over the summer. Think of how sweet 10 degrees in the low low Valencia sun will be in December. The forced rest may have been good for ya. In the meantime, tennis ball and target the glutes.
    Funny you should mention the tennis ball. Just back from physio and he said the same!!! Yerra, Fook it I'll see how it goes a bit closer to the date but the reg price takes an old hike soon. To HBS, I might take you up on that depending on a number of things.

Thanks folks. Decision taken!! 
    10k it is. It was more or less taken out of my hands this week when, after 5 weeks or so of 3x8k running I picked up a nasty cold that I haven't quite shaken off yet. So, I though, no way you're going to be in marathon shape laddo. I would have had to punish the body to try to get to 32+km runs and even though we're all a bit dumb, I for once decided to be smart.
    If I can get relatively fit and healthy in the next few weeks I'd love to be able to train for a crack at the pb. I've never run in a 10k with that many runners and with a very high level of runner. My PB of 2.5 years ago came in a field of about 150 when I followed the leading lady home in 36.48. Would love to break that. 
    Hope the rest of ye are in better shape and that training is going well. 

(Now to think about 2019 marathons!)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Thanks folks. Decision taken!! 
    10k it is. It was more or less taken out of my hands this week when, after 5 weeks or so of 3x8k running I picked up a nasty cold that I haven't quite shaken off yet. So, I though, no way you're going to be in marathon shape laddo. I would have had to punish the body to try to get to 32+km runs and even though we're all a bit dumb, I for once decided to be smart.
    If I can get relatively fit and healthy in the next few weeks I'd love to be able to train for a crack at the pb. I've never run in a 10k with that many runners and with a very high level of runner. My PB of 2.5 years ago came in a field of about 150 when I followed the leading lady home in 36.48. Would love to break that. 
    Hope the rest of ye are in better shape and that training is going well. 

(Now to think about 2019 marathons!)

That 10k will be a nice warm up for the Malaga Marathon 2 weeks later ;)

I'm in a similar position to you. 4 weeks of injury, 2 weeks back and then 2 weeks out with some virus I picked up in Jakarta. I've binned Eindhoven but I was thinking 10 weeks now to Malaga is doable (I even considered Valencia) but it's all a bit mad. Forget it and get ready for Boston next year is now the plan.

• Advertisement

Seems like the marathon has sold out: 22,000! Hope ye all registered lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Yeah, there's a Strava group that has gone mental. Lots of comprars being requested if my pigeon Spanish has that right

Seems like the marathon has sold out: 22,000! Hope he all registered lads.

Jaysus, registered yesterday, that was lucky :D

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭terminator74

Jaysus, registered yesterday, that was lucky :D

ditto, just registered on Sunday night. I was training for Dublin but a stress response on shin took 4 weeks from me so decided to sign up to Valencia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Ok, that's that decision made for me then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

sideswipe wrote: »
    Ok, that's that decision made for me then!

Same here :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Duanington wrote: »

You didn’t miss out did you?

I thought they'd give people more warning tbh. Their FaceBook communication is usually excellent but this came as a bit of a shock. I'm glad I wasn't planning on doing the Full and waiting till last minute. 
    That said, if anyone has missed out and really wants to do it, I bet there'll be a market in bib numbers near the date. If anyone wants a hand with the lingo, give me a holler. I'd be amazed if we couldn't find an entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

OOnegative wrote: »

As with all marathons, they say making the start line is half the battle :pac: :p

I did, B - my own bad though, can't and don't blame the organisers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I did, B - my own bad though, can't and don't blame the organisers

Off to San Seb with ya!!

Off to San Seb with ya!!

I'm sitting down and ACTUALLY BOOKING SOMETHING tonight, B.

Seville 2019 it is, Feb 17th, nothing else worked date wise

Best of luck with the rest of the training everyone, will be watching on !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Balls D. What does this mean for you short term?

Seville 2019 it is, Feb 17th, nothing else worked date wise

Best of luck with the rest of the training everyone, will be watching on !

Seville is a great alternative :)

• Advertisement

Balls D. What does this mean for you short term?

Probably not a huge change, P - just updated the log there so as not to hijack the thread anymore with my woes !

• Registered Users Posts: 39 goodtiming

Seville is a great alternative :)

I'm in for both:)

It's 10 weeks between my first and second ever marathon so hopefully I haven't bitten off too much

The running gods are having a good old laugh at my expense this year I think. I must have flown too close to the sun last year! Anyway, I'm out. Life just got busy (as it does) so I'll be just tipping away trying to keep in shape and a marathon in 6 or 7 weeks just isn't feasible for me. So if it's not too late if anyone wants a transfer or can help me transfer my entry, give us a shout. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

The running gods are having a good old laugh at my expense this year I think. I must have flown too close to the sun last year! Anyway, I'm out. Life just got busy (as it does) so I'll be just tipping away trying to keep in shape and a marathon in 6 or 7 weeks just isn't feasible for me. So if it's not too late if anyone wants a transfer or can help me transfer my entry, give us a shout. Cheers.

Frankfurt and Berlin - unlucky. Maybe 2019 will be better.

**** luck, man. Hope it's nothing major.

Itziger wrote:
    **** luck, man. Hope it's nothing major.

Nah man, it's just a bunch of small things and I got a bit tired of constantly trying to keep about 7 balls in the air. Better off to just cut my losses now and stop trying to force it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Finished the half today in 1:29:55.
    Skin of my teeth and a bit off what I had hoped for. C'est la vie.
    As a recce for December though it went well.

If anyone has any questions about getting from Madrid to Valencia fire away.
    Getting around is easy enough. If you're a clown like me you'll prefer to walk everywhere to get your bearings so that by the time you reach halfway in the race you're worn out. Part of the reason I came for the half first.

The race itself was ok support wise, weather was rotten last night. The course is pancake flat and well served for drinks. Lots of Powerade and Enervit gels. Water in bottles with caps. The environmentalists won't like it as the bottles are about 330ml. The Powerade was the watery blue stuff which I find very easy on the stomach

The world record went today too

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭terminator74

anyone know details of the pacers? what times /intervals are they off at?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

"Habrá prácticos para finalizar la carrera en tiempos de 3h:00, 3h:15 3h:30, 3h:45, 4h:00h, 4h:15, 4h:30 y 5h:00 horas."

That's from the website. They seem to be the pacers' times but maybe itziger can confirm because I've never seen 'prácticos" used to mean pacers.

• Advertisement

anyone know details of the pacers? what times /intervals are they off at?

A word of caution with regard to pacers in Valencia. I seem to remember all the pacers starting together one year which is not ideal. Another year, I recall passing the 3 Hr pacers at around 15k despite me running at a pace which was sub 2:55.

The timing pens seem much better organised now, so hopefully the pacers/pacing is better organised also.

Advertisement