Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valencia Marathon 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Anybody know when/if this sells out usually?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

sideswipe wrote: »
    Anybody know when/if this sells out usually?
    I don't think it sells out early although it is getting more popular year by year. They're super communicators on FB so I hope they give a warning if they're getting near full. I want to wait a bit as the Visa has taken a massive hit on holidays. The flights to Barcelona were about 55 euros so can't complain there.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

For those considering flying to Madrid and taking the train to Valencia, the Renfe.es website now has the trains updated. I picked up return tickets for 68euro (first class on the friday for 46eur and 22eur for economy class on the monday). Good luck with the booking process as it is not the most intuitive site, you will need your passport number.

Well, I've had a bloody nightmare start to the training programme for this. After taking a heat-enforced break on Summer hols I said I'd better get cracking and was in high spirits starting the Hansons' plan. After feeling some discomfort in the left leg for a few days, I headed out to do a 8x600 session. At the beginning of rep 2, pop goes the RIGHT hip. Not discomfort or sore but really painful. That was Tuesday and I did go for a little tester jog yesterday even though I knew it was unlikely to have healed. It hadn't! Got me half a mile done. 
    Probably my own fault for not keeping the glute/hammy/hip/core exercises up. I'm hoping it doesn't take much longer to heal now and I do still have a fair bit of time to Valencia but I would need to get going soon if I want to do justice to the plan. Might use this thread to update every now and again as I don't have a log.
    Hope the rest of ye are doing a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Jaysus, sorry to hear that. The fecking heat is causing havoc. I'm just back from a torturous 16 "easy" miles in 22 degrees. Training has been full of ups and downs for me. Hopefully you're hip is just a warning and nothing a few days rest won't fix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Took a bit of a down week myself last week while away on hols, back into it since last Saturday with a couple of good sessions in the bag since then. Recovery run later. The heat has really been a pi$$er at times alright, yesterday's session was zero craic.
    I'm getting a bit more strict with myself when it comes to recovery runs\warmups\down. Something that usually slips away from me as I start to feel fitter and stronger.
    Sorry to hear about the niggle Itziger - a physio visit might be the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Duanington wrote: »
    Took a bit of a down week myself last week while away on hols, back into it since last Saturday with a couple of good sessions in the bag since then. Recovery run later. The heat has really been a pi$$er at times alright, yesterday's session was zero craic.
    I'm getting a bit more strict with myself when it comes to recovery runs\warmups\down. Something that usually slips away from me as I start to feel fitter and stronger.

Physio Double D?

At his age he'd need a taxidermist :)

Hope you back at it soon D

TbL

Took a bit of a down week myself last week while away on hols, back into it since last Saturday with a couple of good sessions in the bag since then. Recovery run later. The heat has really been a pi$er at times alright, yesterday's session was zero craic.

Physio Double D?

At his age he'd need a taxidermist :)

Hope you back at it soon D

TbL
    Physio booked for Thursday. Taxidermist on holidays till Sept. Thank the heavens it wasn't the other way around.

Giving serious consideration to this now so looking into flight etc. Unfortunately I need to be back home for Monday morning so was looking at Ryanair's direct flight to Dublin from Valencia at 4:35pm. Just trying to figure out of it's doable time wise, can't see a race start time on the website- anybody know?

Giving serious consideration to this now so looking into flight etc. Unfortunately I need to be back home for Monday morning so was looking at Ryanair's direct flight to Dublin from Valencia at 4:35pm. Just trying to figure out of it's doable time wise, can't see a race start time on the website- anybody know?

Race start is 8:30am local time. They hide it well

• Advertisement

Just to be precise

460489.GIF

It's doable but you need to be organised, you'd need a hotel reasonably close to the finish and preferably access to a shower you'd also definitely need to have a taxi pre booked.

Preferably hand luggage only and boarding card ready to go

I've managed tight same day returns a number of times in the past, just takes some good planning!

TbL

It's doable but you need to be organised, you'd need a hotel reasonably close to the finish and preferably access to a shower you'd also definitely need to have a taxi pre booked.

Preferably hand luggage only and boarding card ready to go

I've managed tight same day returns a number of times in the past, just takes some good planning!

TbL

Decisions, decisions......could be tight, especially if the race doesn't go to plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

TbL

or a mid race injury............

Decisions, decisions......could be tight, especially if the race doesn't go to plan!

Look at the bullet train options to Madrid and flights back to Dublin from there, if I remember right they were late evening flights, might give you more time

TbL

Fcuk you :)

That was temper tantrum planning, hoping for a sub 3 and spend the night in a bath of skittles, ended up pulling out and spending a small fortune booking entirely new flights home that evening!!!

Run faster Sideswipe!!!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

He’s certainly not the Magnus Magnusson of marathon running, he might start but pound to a penny he won’t finish.......

OOnegative wrote: »
    He’s certainly not the Magnus Magnusson of marathon running, he might start but pound to a penny he won’t finish.......

Like I said young fella, when you come within a mile of my PB gimme a call 🀣

TbL

Like I said young fella, when you come within a mile of my PB gimme a call 🀣

TbL

As I said before, it won’t take me 10,000 marathons like you to run that PB.

I feel a wager coming on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I feel a wager coming on

Or a re-reg.

What I fail to understand, with the calibre of runner/banter going to this event, is how TBL hasn't signed up for the 10k yet.

Itziger wrote: »
    What I fail to understand, with the calibre of runner/banter going to this event, is how TBL hasn't signed up for the 10k yet.

Is there a half D, I'd be tempted!

TbL

Is there a half D, I'd be tempted!

TbL
    Nah. Shame.

What do ye reckon ye sages of Boards? I'm slowly coming back from a hip problem that's screwed up 4 weeks, maybe 5, must check the data...... of training. In that time I've got out 2,3 or 4 times a week and I'm up to 40k now. So obviously way off where I should be. The plan HAD been to target a 2.54, maybe even train for a 2.52 and hope for the .54 on the day. 
    Now, I've got 10 weeks or so of training but I'm still not 100%. If the next physio session (today) goes well, and the one after that, I may be up to say 80k a week in 3 weeks' time. Thing is, I don't really want to do another 3.06/08/10 marathon. I did Stockholm in 3.08 cos of the heat and Lux in 3.16 as a training run earlier this year. 
    Is it too late to get my ass in shape (about 3 kilos to lose) for a lash off 2.59? Would I be better off signing up for the 10k instead? What about an informal, witty, handsome 3.30 pacer job?? Talk to me. Caveat: It's highly doubtful I'll listen to anything anyone suggests.

What do ye reckon ye sages of Boards? I'm slowly coming back from a hip problem that's screwed up 4 weeks, maybe 5, must check the data...... of training. In that time I've got out 2,3 or 4 times a week and I'm up to 40k now. So obviously way off where I should be. The plan HAD been to target a 2.54, maybe even train for a 2.52 and hope for the .54 on the day. 
    Now, I've got 10 weeks or so of training but I'm still not 100%. If the next physio session (today) goes well, and the one after that, I may be up to say 80k a week in 3 weeks' time. Thing is, I don't really want to do another 3.06/08/10 marathon. I did Stockholm in 3.08 cos of the heat and Lux in 3.16 as a training run earlier this year. 
    Is it too late to get my ass in shape (about 3 kilos to lose) for a lash off 2.59? Would I be better off signing up for the 10k instead? What about an informal, witty, handsome 3.30 pacer job?? Talk to me. Caveat: It's highly doubtful I'll listen to anything anyone suggests.

Was going to offer some advice but seeing as your not listening........

Leave the marathon to hell, to run what as you say. As a man who’s had/has hip issues you run the risk of aggravating it again and doing more damage. Don’t know why i’ bothering to type this as you won’t listen.....

Best of luck whatever you decide.

OOnegative wrote: »

Was going to offer some advice but seeing as your not listening........

Leave the marathon to hell, to run what as you say. As a man who’s had/has hip issues you run the risk of aggravating it again and doing more damage. Don’t know why i’ bothering to type this as you won’t listen.....

Best of luck whatever you decide.
    Ah, I was only joking about the not listening ;)  I won't run if injured, my worry is more amount of decent training. I'm hoping to get in about 8 good weeks.

Those few times you are getting out, what has that looked like? ( i.e. general 5/6 miles or something with more substance?)

Those few times you are getting out, what has that looked like? ( i.e. general 5/6 miles or something with more substance?)
    It started with a few 5 milers but I'm up to 14k now and have done a couple of 10/11k runs so I'm slowly upping it. The pace has actually been ok. Yesterday was this https://www.strava.com/activities/1852296563 (11.3km @ approx 4.42)
    If all goes well I'll try 16k or so on Sunday and in 2 or 3 weeks' time will hopefully be at mid 20s. Obviously that is only if I stay fit. Then I'd try to incorporate a few 'Tempo/Half Marathon pace runs and some M pace stuff in the Longer ones coming into end October and through November.

• Advertisement

Of course, the injury thing is the caveat but I don't see why you can't run a solid race, so long as you're realistic about the potential time?

I think you'd have to make a call on that closer to the day itself but 5 weeks is a bit of a chunk to miss out on, train, see how the injury holds up and make a call in 3\4 weeks?

B has more experience than I do with hip injuries but if you're confident that's behind you....

Advertisement