Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan Travel etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

Riskymove wrote: »
    do you mean Samoa?

Sorry yes Samoa!! Only in the door from work, long night....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

OK, here's what you need to do if you've been charged. Call DHL on 0818221188 or via email on ie.invenq@dhl.com and they'll sort it for you. The paperwork was filled in incorrectly in Japan by the RWC

Thank you.

I've gotton a reply to say they have logged a request to have the charges refunded to DHL from Revenue. Once they are refunded to DHL they will be able to pass on the refund to me.

So we shall see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ECoach

Does anyone know if there is any feasible way to sell/swap team packs for individual tickets?

Looks like the resale site doesn’t deal in team packs and it’s looking like I won’t be able to make all the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

kuang1 wrote: »
    Yup had to pay €37.13 customs fee.
    Tickets arrived today.
    Have emailed DHL at Phileasfrog's suggestion. Will update once I receive a response.

Tickets might be pretty, but the Japanese not managing the ticketing side of things nearly as well as England did for last World Cup. That was very well run I thought.

Here's the reply I got yesterday :

"Irish Customs have applied these charges due to the values declared by the shipper on the paperwork. We are working with the shipper in Japan in order to find a resolution.

On our side we have reversed the payment onto your card today – you should see the funds in your account in 3-5 working days.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused to you as a result of this."

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sjlc

ECoach wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is any feasible way to sell/swap team packs for individual tickets?

Looks like the resale site doesn’t deal in team packs and it’s looking like I won’t be able to make all the games.

I was in the same boat. Just stuck it up online that I had tickets and was looking for swaps or face value. Didnt take long to get a reply. Going to meet the person in Japan and do the swap in person.

You dont happen to have a ticket for the Russia or Samoa matches by any chance? If you do I'll try work something out. Have tickets for the other two Irish matches

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ECoach

sjlc wrote: »
    I was in the same boat. Just stuck it up online that I had tickets and was looking for swaps or face value. Didnt take long to get a reply. Going to meet the person in Japan and do the swap in person.

You dont happen to have a ticket for the Russia or Samoa matches by any chance? If you do I'll try work something out. Have tickets for the other two Irish matches

Unfortunately with the team packs it’s one ticket with your name on it on a lanyard that you seem to have to wear to all the matches to gain entry so it can’t be split up.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sjlc

ECoach wrote: »
    Unfortunately with the team packs it’s one ticket with your name on it on a lanyard that you seem to have to wear to all the matches to gain entry so it can’t be split up.

Ah balls. Havent got my tickets yet so didnt know

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭millhousegirl

What are people's thoughts on staying in Yokohama for the matches? Particularly the semi finals.

Anyone that has been there before, would be easy to travel to/from Tokyo for the games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

What are people's thoughts on staying in Yokohama for the matches? Particularly the semi finals.

Anyone that has been there before, would be easy to travel to/from Tokyo for the games?

we are staying in Yokohama for handiness

however it is very easy to travel to from Tokyo (less than an hour) - essentially the two cities merge into one large metro area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,823 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Doing it for qf and semi. Meant to be a handy journey in by train of 30 mins to an hour afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

We are staying in Shinjuku. Was more or less one train and door to door was 55 mins on Google Maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Of the people who have ordered tickets how many have heard nothing?

I ordered the same day as a travelling companion and he has received his, I haven’t heard anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

I ordered the same day as a travelling companion and he has received his, I haven’t heard anything.

I havent heard anything at all yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Chris871 wrote: »

I havent heard anything at all yet

Same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

I got one batch of tickets, haven't heard a thing about 2 others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I haven't heard anything about delivery of any batch of tickets I ordered.

I noticed this morning that my credit card has been refunded 2 batches of postage money from when the portal wouldn't allow multiple purchases at once so I had to order separately

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

Hi guys! Just a quick message following a recent trip to Tokyo.

If anyone is using JR Rail Pass, allow plenty of time to swap the voucher for the real pass. Might be worth doing it at the Airport JR counter on arrival even if you are not using the Pass immediately. Just make sure start date is your preferred date. We went to Shinjuku station - the station is huge and there are two customer service centres. We had to queue over half and hour (early pm mid week) as they check passport etc and many people were also trying to make train reservations at the same time. And if your have actual train bookings and seat reservations for the Shinkansen, you must have the same credit card used for booking to collect train/seat tickets.

It is definitely worth pre booking trains/seats for the longer Shinkansen rides such as Tokyo-Osaka. You can do it up to a month in advance on JR East trains (any Shinkansen ex Tokyo) as we found out some trains were reserved seats only and there were no free seating carriages.

Have fun!

Is this etickets or postage? Postage I think get sent out in September afaik

Eod100 wrote: »
    Postage I think get sent out in September afaik

Postage started 2 weeks ago. I have my physical QF & SF tickets already.

Is this etickets or postage? Postage I think get sent out in September afaik

• Advertisement

Postage started 2 weeks ago. I have my physical QF & SF tickets already.

Really? They're the tickets we're waiting on tok but thought everything wasn't being posted out until early September..?

Really? They're the tickets we're waiting on tok but thought everything wasn't being posted out until early September..?

Sorry I'm getting mixed up with etickets, doh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

dublin99 wrote: »
    Hi guys! Just a quick message following a recent trip to Tokyo.

If anyone is using JR Rail Pass, allow plenty of time to swap the voucher for the real pass. Might be worth doing it at the Airport JR counter on arrival even if you are not using the Pass immediately. Just make sure start date is your preferred date. We went to Shinjuku station - the station is huge and there are two customer service centres. We had to queue over half and hour (early pm mid week) as they check passport etc and many people were also trying to make train reservations at the same time. And if your have actual train bookings and seat reservations for the Shinkansen, you must have the same credit card used for booking to collect train/seat tickets.

It is definitely worth pre booking trains/seats for the longer Shinkansen rides such as Tokyo-Osaka. You can do it up to a month in advance on JR East trains (any Shinkansen ex Tokyo) as we found out some trains were reserved seats only and there were no free seating carriages.

Have fun!

Thank you, this is really useful. I've been finding the JR Pass process and reservations process a little confusing, there seems to be no central proper information system about it.

Mind if I ask a couple of questions?
    • Who/what agency did you buy your ticket through? I found one or two that say they do it, but I don't recognise the names of the companies. Any recommendation would be great.
    • When you say you made your train bookings and reservations in advance, did you have to go to the stations to do that or can you do it online (you mentioned the credit card so I'm guessing it's online)? Finding all the different train companies a little confusing.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 aahern

Received the first batch but nothing yet for the second batch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Thank you, this is really useful.
    Thanks!

if you look up youtube there is a Japanese guy who has videos about travelling in japan and one of them is how to use JR Railpass

Japnesquest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHRNRivOVa0

there are two agencies here that sell the pass in advance but I think they are actually both under the same umbrella organisation

https://www.uniquejapantours.com/japan-travel-guide/japan-rail-pass/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Thank you, this is really useful. I've been finding the JR Pass process and reservations process a little confusing, there seems to be no central proper information system about it.

• Who/what agency did you buy your ticket through? I found one or two that say they do it, but I don't recognise the names of the companies. Any recommendation would be great.
    • When you say you made your train bookings and reservations in advance, did you have to go to the stations to do that or can you do it online (you mentioned the credit card so I'm guessing it's online)? Finding all the different train companies a little confusing.

Thanks!

Just on the reservations - I was checking this out and is seems that online reservations are only available for trains operated by JR East. This means that online seat reservations cannot be made for the Tokaido Shinkansen (Tokyo-Nagoya-Kyoto-Osaka) and have to be made in the staion instead.

sjlc wrote: »

I've a spare pair of Cat C tics for Russia in Kobe if thats any use to you? Or anyone else for that matter, thought I'd offer them up here before using the resell option.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

Thanks!

We used Japan Experience which I thought had a decent exchange rate when paying in Euro. One off courier fee (even for multiple vouchers) for delivery and voucher and map etc were delivered by DHL 2 days later. There is a UK phone number on their websites but tickets were sent from Viva France in Paris. Be careful some Japanese forms online ask for surname first before first name (as in Japanese style) and it is easy to make mistake. They actually check passport stamp for entry date as JR Pass is only for overseas visitors on tourist visa and not those on student or work visa.

https://www.japan-experience.com/

Actual train/seat reservations were done on JR East website:

https://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shinkansen-reservation/English/wb/common/Menu/Menu.aspx

You have to register with an email address first. If they insist on phone number put in a hotel number. Click on the JR Pass you intend to get and the various departure stations will pop up. It is worth planning using Hyperdia beforehand though and know precisely what trains/connections you want.

You need a credit card to make reservations but there is no charge if you present the JR Pass and collect the tickets before the deadline. You can change the reservations after collection either at any station CS or using the self ticketing machines. If you miss the train you booked, you can travel on another train later but only in the non reserved carriages.

Each set of tickets will consist of one for the train and a separate one for the seat reservation.

You can make reservations when swapping your voucher for the Pass, but there was a sign saying at busy times you can only make one reservation for one journey.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

I've a spare pair of Cat C tics for Russia in Kobe if thats any use to you? Or anyone else for that matter, thought I'd offer them up here before using the resell option.

I'm looking for a pair of tickets for the Russia game if you can't shift them before you go the re-sale route.

I also have one spare Cat D for Samoa if anyone is looking for one.

Brozy wrote: »
    I'm looking for a pair of tickets for the Russia game if you can't shift them before you go the re-sale route.

I also have one spare Cat D for Samoa if anyone is looking for one.

there all yours so, PM me if you want them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 stotheototheb

Looking for 2 Ireland Russia tickets if anyone is trying to sell on :)

Finally got an email about tickets.

Apparently the more recently you bought them, the sooner you'll get them.

Hardly seems fair, looks like it'll be September for me.

troyzer wrote: »

Not sure about that, my mail states.

Tics bought before March 2019 will be dispatched by 16th Aug, Tics bought in the next window up to June 30th dispatched by 23rd Aug & anything after that are TBC.

troyzer wrote: »

Not sure about that, my mail states.

Tics bought before March 2019 will be dispatched by 16th Aug, Tics bought in the next window up to June 30th dispatched by 23rd Aug & anything after that are TBC.

Sorry about that, I completely misread it.

Feel like a complete bellend now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭bigslick

Last batch of tickets received today. Flights booked to. Cant wait now!!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

When are e-tickets due to go out?

matrim wrote: »
    When are e-tickets due to go out?

Early September I believe. Only a couple of weeks before our first pool game I guess so

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Grr, gateway timeout and end up 65k in the ticket queue...

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

shanagarry wrote: »
    Grr, gateway timeout and end up 65k in the ticket queue...

Same thing happened on my laptop and ended up at 139008 in the queue.

Thankfully the work computer bought me in at 50k. Everything crossed at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

I'm at 18k but worried because I don't have an account and it won't let me create one until I get to the top of the queue.

Presume you guys already have accounts yeah? Seems like there's a 30-minute window once you get to the top, maybe I'll have time to create one, find my ticket (one ticket for Ireland vs Japan, any category) then buy it...

I’ve always had a account pre sale but it *should* let you add your ticket to the basket and then set up an account to check out. Online sales management has been really poor for this RWC though, so who knows.

I’m looking for a pair for the japan game if anyone has them

Is anyone familiar with reselling tickets that you no longer need, through the official ticket site? Is it automatic that you can sell the ticket back or does it depend on demand?

Might pick up a second ticket for a mate who's on the fence about making the journey out to Shizuoka...

fullerand wrote: »
    Is anyone familiar with reselling tickets that you no longer need, through the official ticket site? Is it automatic that you can sell the ticket back or does it depend on demand?

Might pick up a second ticket for a mate who's on the fence about making the journey out to Shizuoka...

You sell it when someone buys it, if you know what I mean.

Cheers. I just got through (waiting from 10am to 1.30pm) and bought 4 tickets (2 Cat-C for Ireland vs Japan, 2 Cat-D for Ireland vs Scotland). Showing up as "not available for resale" but maybe that will change later....

• Advertisement

Got through there in the last half hour. 2 Cat A Japan v Ireland and 2 Cat C Australia v Wales

Both were coming up in mild availability.

Got through there in the last half hour. 2 Cat A Japan v Ireland and 2 Cat C Australia v Wales

Mine is still showing 38k ahead of me in the queue even though I was only 15k behind you starting off :confused:

shanagarry wrote: »
    Mine is still showing 38k ahead of me in the queue even though I was only 15k behind you starting off :confused:

I got lucky with my housemate joining the queue for me also and emailed me the queue link. He got in at 18k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭arrowman

Feck it anyway. Tried for the umpteenth time for tickets for the final but no joy. Still 17500 ahead of me and the final tickets are now showing as unavailable.

I hate that online booking system with a passion.

Looks like I'll have to take my chances on sorting something when I am in Japan, so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

When I got through at 11 there were tickets available for every match ,every category .
    Its the same old story every tournament ,organisers holding back huge amounts of tickets to create hype and sell the hospitality/corporate crap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement