Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Cruise--Carrick to Banagher

Options
  • 15-09-2013 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi!

My sister and dad are visiting early October. They want to take a cruise from Carrick down to see Birr Castle (Banagher I think is the closest).

I've heard times for the trip ranging from 13 hours to 4 days.

Has anyone done this trip? How much cruising time does it actually take (including lock time)?

TIA

Michael

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi Michael, at a rough guess let's say your moving at 4-7kt from Carrick to Hudson Bay about 11 hours, Hudson Bay to Athlone 7 hours and Athlone to Banagher 5 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

fergal.b wrote: »
    Hi Michael, at a rough guess let's say your moving at 4-7kt from Carrick to Hudson Bay about 11 hours, Hudson Bay to Athlone 7 hours and Athlone to Banagher 5 hours.

Hudson bay to athlone 7 hours??lol

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hudson bay to athlone 7 hours??lol

It depends on how many pints you have in the hudson bay :D

Sorry I meant 2 hours including lough gate time I think it's about 10k by water.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea of a time table as my cruising speed is a little bit faster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lumendecens

Thanks.

So it seems 18 hours or thereabouts? Inverse relationship between progress and pints obviously. :-)

What would be your thoughts on doing the roundtrip in 4 days? Doable or too much of a hard slog?

I ask because of the 'car problem' and also finding a one way boat at this time of year.

M

Carrickcraft have some deals where they want boats brought back to Carrick https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boating-Holidays-in-Ireland/44782513052?fref=ts might be worth a call.
    Also this might help with the time a bit better than I did :)http://www.carrickcraft.com/HolidayPlanner/Banagher.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 lumendecens

So sorry to take 5 years to say THANK YOU to fergal.b

We had a great trip and just puttered about the local area. WELL recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

So sorry to take 5 years to say THANK YOU to fergal.b

We had a great trip and just puttered about the local area. WELL recommended.

It took ye a while so to get to Banagher.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 drummerlad

Hi Michael,

I just did this trip last weekend! I left Carrick at 11am on Saturday and arrived at Lanesborough at 5pm on Saturday evening ( 2 locks and 2 bridge lifts ) .

I left lanesborough at 9:30 am on Sunday and arrived in Athlone at 12:30 noon. After lunch I left Athlone at 2:30pm ( one lock ) and arrived in Banagher at 5:20 pm

To be honest it was too long to do in 2 days ( 6 hours on Sat and 6 hours on Sunday ). I would suggest enjoying it more over 4 days !

I hope this helps.

Brian

Advertisement