Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amsterdam Mararthon 2019

• 07-12-2018 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭

Bailed in earlier this week for next year's race decent enough price for return flights Sat - Mon €95.
    Hotel pricey enough but 5 Star so probably too posh for my blood but hey :)

The stadium finish looks Friggin Awesome :D

I'd say a few more might look at this after the final round of Berlin places allocated today....

https://www.tcsamsterdammarathon.nl/en/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sca21

I'm signed up for this. Flights, hotel and race all booked Fri to Mon. Looking forward to this. Stadium finish will be epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

sca21 wrote: »
    I'm signed up for this. Flights, hotel and race all booked Fri to Mon. Looking forward to this. Stadium finish will be epic.

Stadium finish is class alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Trampas

It’s on my plan for next year just get over an injury first which is driving me nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Did it this year! Lovely course - main advice is make sure to be in the correct wave for your time - ended up starting a little further back than I should have, and was overtaking people for ~20km - course is quite narrow so it is fairly congested, meaning it is fairly essential to be placed well from the get go. Get down to the stadium early enough and you will be comfortable. Course is flat - long bit along the river could be troublesome if windy, but it was very calm wind wise this year. Support is quite good at each aid station - no complaints there - gels available at the later stations, all fairly clear in the literature however.! Expo is hassle free :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Done the HM there the last 2 years. Great event but can be tight in places so make sure to be in correct wave as it can tiring overtaking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Trying to decide between this and Galway marathon on 5th Oct.

Any advice appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Any advice appreciated

Haven't ran any of them, but going by the map, Galway race is on the coast, so wind could be an issue.

Only watched Amsterdam on tv, parts look very narrow and tram lines also.

If going for a time I would say Amsterdam.

Haven't ran any of them, but going by the map, Galway race is on the coast, so wind could be an issue.

Only watched Amsterdam on tv, parts look very narrow and tram lines also.

If going for a time I would say Amsterdam.

The wind is my biggest fear!

I did a windy half marathon in Carlingford a few years back and was looking for some big lad to shelter behind. Just happened to look behind me and there were a load of little guys sheltering behind ME!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Any give suggestions on accom that is not stupid money as any quick looks at hotel makes it an expensive run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭deisedude

Any advice appreciated

Galway is very flat but you are dependant on the weather as its by the coast. I did the half there one year and it was a beautiful day but its pot luck in Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Any give suggestions on accom that is not stupid money as any quick looks at hotel makes it an expensive run

remember the public transport is excellent, you don't need to stay so close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Did it last year, and we stayed waaay out of central - but on a train line with decent access to the start line at the old olympic stadium.

So it was not too bad cost wise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Doing the Half, getting the train from Den Haag that morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

I did the half last year. Flew in that morning, easy 10-15 min. bus to the stadium, watched an hour of the mara finish and strolled around to the start line. Very easy logistically. Home the next day.

Doing the full this year. Land Sat. There's a new hotel opened 100m from the stadium. Olympic Hotel. Looks nice and a "reasonable value" if there's still availability.

I'm in!
    Well flights are booked anyway.
    Heading over late morning on Sat and flying home on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mylesforsmiles

I'm in for this too folks.
    Flying out Sat morning and back Sun night.
    Staying a couple of trams stops from the Olympic Stadium.
    Really looking forward to training during the summer months.
    Good luck to all!!

How is the training going everyone?

My last few marathons have been spring time and I must say that I am loving training with the bright mornings and a bit of heat.
    Adding in some speed work this week so hoping my injury prone calves can handle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

Signed up for this. Also finding it much easier to train this time of year plus to have September as a big month of training is great.....found Berlin last year came a little bit too early, would have liked a few more weeks training.

I believe Isostar is the energy drinks they hand out - anyone had these before or can you get it in Ireland?

spc78 wrote: »
    I believe Isostar is the energy drinks they hand out - anyone had these before or can you get it in Ireland?

It’s available in Decathlon on the continent, similar enough to Lucozade Sport.

• Advertisement

Think i'll go self sufficient - I was of the opinion that all gels were 'grand' and could be taken...

that was until I tried one of those Maurten ones the other day and nearly vomited everywhere. It's honestly one of the worst textures I have ever experienced.

Wasn't the better of it for the rest of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Will be running this! I'm super excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mylesforsmiles

Gutted to be missing this due to injury.

Can transfer my number to anyone who's interested.

Gutted to be missing this due to injury.

Can transfer my number to anyone who's interested.

Sorry to hear that. If you're on fb, then there's about 1000 people looking for places on the Amsterdam group page. (If you don't have luck here)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

Hi - I am going to this but slumming it a bit in terms of accommodation. Anyone any suggestions where I would get a decent breakfast in the vicinity of the Olympic Stadium beforehand, around 7am maybe?
    thanks

bellinter wrote: »
    Hi - I am going to this but slumming it a bit in terms of accommodation. Anyone any suggestions where I would get a decent breakfast in the vicinity of the Olympic Stadium beforehand, around 7am maybe?
    thanks

Accommodation is crazy money isn't it?

I'll be bringing a Ziploc bag of porridge with me so will require a microwave only. When I slummed it for a marathon before, I brought those porridge pots that you just add hot water to and leave for a few mins. (like a porridge pot noodle)!

Accommodation is crazy money isn't it?

I'll be bringing a Ziploc bag of porridge with me so will require a microwave only. When I slummed it for a marathon before, I brought those porridge pots that you just add hot water to and leave for a few mins. (like a porridge pot noodle)!

Yeah I am "slumming" it for the price of a decent 4 star in most other cities!
    Ziploc of porridge a good shout. Most cafés don't seem to open until 8 or 9.

Yeah I am "slumming" it for the price of a decent 4 star in most other cities!
    Ziploc of porridge a good shout. Most cafés don't seem to open until 8 or 9.

Look at likes of Leiden or The Hague for accommodation maybe, both less than half hour by train to Amsterdam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I won't be attending this year due to a change of plans. DM me if you want a number!

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear about the drop outs.

Anyone left doing it?!

Did the half last week in 1.37 so hoping my sub 3.30 target is realistic once the next few weeks go to plan and I dont succumb to the sickness in my house at the moment.

How is everyone else's prep going?

Anyone left doing it?!

Did the half last week in 1.37 so hoping my sub 3.30 target is realistic once the next few weeks go to plan and I dont succumb to the sickness in my house at the moment.

Doing the half, training going well, not sure what time i’ll be targeting but hope to run a PB of some kind. Traveling up & down from The Hague that day.

Anyone left doing it?!

I'm still in - 2 week taper so long this weekend and one more the following week and the hard training is done. Really looking forward to it.

I'm still in also and looking forward to taper. Training has gone well so far... got a 1.36 half in Charleville and a decent 3/4 marathon. Speed work has suffered because the legs have been heavy so that's my only concern. I'm hoping to go for a sub 3.30 and take 4 minutes of my PB. Berlin was my first choice but I'm glad I went for Ansterdam as Plan B. Not long now I hope everyone stays fit, healthy and injury free over the next 3 weeks or so.

I'm still in also and looking forward to taper. Training has gone well so far... got a 1.36 half in Charleville and a decent 3/4 marathon. Speed work has suffered because the legs have been heavy so that's my only concern. I'm hoping to go for a sub 3.30 and take 4 minutes of my PB. Berlin was my first choice but I'm glad I went for Ansterdam as Plan B. Not long now I hope everyone stays fit, healthy and injury free over the next 3 weeks or so.

Very similar to you. Did 3.32 in Edinburgh last year so hoping to go 2 mins faster. Have done more miles and more speed work so hopefully it will pay off. Going to stick with the pacers hopefully

Very similar to you. Did 3.32 in Edinburgh last year so hoping to go 2 mins faster. Have done more miles and more speed work so hopefully it will pay off. Going to stick with the pacers hopefully

Pacers on the continent tend to be very erratic just to let you know, some have been known to run ridiculous splits while pacing. Unfortunately all pacers aren’t as good as the ones at DCM.

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Pacers on the continent tend to be very erratic just to let you know, some have been known to run ridiculous splits while pacing. Unfortunately all pacers aren’t as good as the ones at DCM.

Hadn't heard that so thanks. I'll have my little virtual pacer set as a back up.

I'm sure everyone knows, but I always set my watch to a pace for 26.5 miles as I missed a time once by having the pacer set to 26.2 miles.

I'm hoping to run the first half in 1.43.30 so that would put me slightly ahead of the 3.30 Pacers. From past experiences only, pace grouping can be quite congested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

I'm still in too and looking forward to the last big one this weekend ! Similar to you too I did 1.38 at the Half so aim is a sub 3.30.....
    Last year I did 1.37 Half and 3.28 in DCM so hopefully a similar time is do-able in the Dam :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Race Day Magazine emailed out today.
    Lots of expo, travel and race info included
    no sign of the App for this years race going up yet.

Lots of gels, drinks, bars & bananas on route at every 5K - wouldn't get that in Dublin ! :D

Isotar Gels - anyone tried them ? Are they okay or as sickly as the rest ??

Lots of gels, drinks, bars & bananas on route at every 5K - wouldn't get that in Dublin ! :D

Isotar Gels - anyone tried them ? Are they okay or as sickly as the rest ??

Have tried them and never had issues with them*, usual gel type goo.

*Disclaimer- I have a stomach like a rubbish tip!!

• Advertisement

Temperatures are slowly dropping here in Holland also but humidity is still very high, 90% plus most mornings. Hopefully it will drop off in next few weeks.

I never got this... did everyone else?

Yeah got one to, maybe drop them an email?

I got it but it was in the promotion section (of gmail)

Thanks! Panic over it was in the promotion section too

Got mine today also. It was in the promotion section also. I'm in the pink starting area which is 3 hours to 3.30. I didn't know what I put down as I entered a year ago!

Got mine today also. It was in the promotion section also. I'm in the pink starting area which is 3 hours to 3.30. I didn't know what I put down as I entered a year ago!

In Pink too - probably a few on this thread in there by the looks of it.

Fingers crossed the weather plays ball

Fingers crossed the weather plays ball

10 Day forecasts in range now....can start obsessively checking every day now. Does look like temp <14 which would be great

10 Day forecasts in range now....can start obsessively checking every day now. Does look like temp <14 which would be great

Looks windy though. Too soon to be sure, but we'll obsess anyway!

Looks windy though. Too soon to be sure, but we'll obsess anyway!

Is Amsterdam a marathon sheltered cpurse or are the bits along the river quite exposed?

• Advertisement
Advertisement