Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

grew a bit weary of this also and was curious so had a peak, I'd rather get the corona virus, ebola and a nice topping of HIV than have this tattooed on myself

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-tegnell-tattoo/the-man-with-the-epidemiologist-tattoo-a-very-swedish-tribute-idUSKCN2292G7

Could be worse in fairness, could be a Conor McGregor tattoo. Or worse again, a really bad one.

2846360.main_image.jpg?strip=all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Obrieski wrote: »
    I quite like the Nicola Tallant interviews actually.
    Always find myself learning some new stuff each time

Ya, I don't get the dislike for these episodes myself. Or course she has a tabloidy slant on it; but she is knowledgable about organised crime in Ireland, can weave a narrative, and has her own opinions.

Overall I think this is the strongest podcast in Ireland. Eamon has found his groove, and there's very few episodes I don't listen to. You can sense he's enjoying making it, and his guest line-up is strong.

Tesco got a good deal on this I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Looking forward to the Robert Fisk podcast,the latest one in the series. Hope Emo follows this thread and takes the feedback,i mentioned on this thread before about Robert being added to his contributors although not sure on the timing of my previous post. One of the highlights of the last word with Emo was his interviews with Robert and look forward to hearing more, having said that they usually were as a result of issues with Israel or the US in the mid east, rarely as a result of something positive.
    If Emo is viewing, thanks for the content but it could do with more variety, surprised as an author himself he doesnt do a monthy book review. Another one would be 1-1 interviews, theres a dearth of interviewer talent and has been for a while and what we have now should return their journalism membership cooper, tub, o'connor..... Id guess research would be a big factor here and im not sure if Emo is that committed in semi retirement

I guess budget would be a factor,cant see him give 4 figure amounts to contributors and therefore we see a limited list of them

Ya, I don't get the dislike for these episodes myself. Or course she has a tabloidy slant on it; but she is knowledgable about organised crime in Ireland, can weave a narrative, and has her own opinions.

Overall I think this is the strongest podcast in Ireland. Eamon has found his groove, and there's very few episodes I don't listen to. You can sense he's enjoying making it, and his guest line-up is strong.

Tesco got a good deal on this I'd imagine.

this low rent crime stuff is tabloidy and no getting away from it.

if you like that stuff then fair enough but it's generally dumb sh1theads dealing and running drugs and killing each other in feuds that started over some lad spilling curry chips on the other lad after a 20 pint session and next thing they are murdering each other's da's. Then when one once every generation or so (like Kinehan Snr) manages to survive and accumulate some cash they are elevated by some to some Warren Buffet level of investment genius when all they are is absolute scumbags in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'd love to hear a contributor not named Tomas Ryan speaking about the Covid situation in Ireland. Change the record Eamo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭bamayang

The european correspondent for Irish Times (Naomi?) is excellent, serious knowledge and nuance of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

bamayang wrote: »
    The european correspondent for Irish Times (Naomi?) is excellent, serious knowledge and nuance of the situation.

Agree. She does an excellent podcast called the Irish passport - it started as sort of an intro for people to Irish society but she does a lot of current affairs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

bamayang wrote:

Naomi O'Leary, been meaning to start listening to her podcast since she started appearing on Dunphys

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

El Sueño wrote: »
    I'd love to hear a contributor not named Tomas Ryan speaking about the Covid situation in Ireland. Change the record Eamo!

When Eamo finds a new guest he does tend to overuse them alright. Tomas Ryan has essentially done almost the exact same interview four times in a row now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NeftDaslari

A funny Freudian slip by Eamo today when talking about the Chinese ambassador’s interview with Andrew Marr - ‘BBXi’

• Advertisement

When Eamo finds a new guest he does tend to overuse them alright. Tomas Ryan has essentially done almost the exact same interview four times in a row now.

I quite like listening to him. Sounds like he actually knows what he's talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭dmn22

Big fan of Niall Stanage from The Hill whenever he's on. Good speaker and talks sensibly about what's going on in the US which is refreshing as most commentators are either extremely left-wing or extremely right-wing with rarely any balance in the middle.

I quite like listening to him. Sounds like he actually knows what he's talking about.

no matter what the government were doing in terms of Covid policy, I get the impression that Tomas Ryan is the sort of guy who would say that it's completely the wrong way.

Some of the points that he makes are valid but I'm not sure that his overall "concept" of 0 Covid is actually achievable here unless you ban foreign travel. (not that I'm advocating that)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

dmn22 wrote: »
    Big fan of Niall Stanage from The Hill whenever he's on. Good speaker and talks sensibly about what's going on in the US which is refreshing as most commentators are either extremely left-wing or extremely right-wing with rarely any balance in the middle.

He's got an annoying habit of taking a sip of water just as Eamonn finishes his question, very annoying once you notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

dmn22 wrote: »

Niall Stanage is really good. Knows what he is talking about. I think Trump is an absolute disgrace, but a lot of the coverage about what he does can't get pass their outrage about how much of a disgrace he is. Stanage lets the facts speak for themselves - and the facts are damning enough with further editorialising.

Thought the European correspondent from The Irish Times was excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

padd b1975 wrote: »
    He's got an annoying habit of taking a sip of water just as Eamonn finishes his question, very annoying once you notice it.

Would be great if Eamon adopted the same habit. His dry mouth delivery grates a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Very interesting interview with the Russian correspondent guy. Possibly the only guest to challenge Eamonn on his usual Orange man bad, BREXIT bad, Russians bad narrative. Far too many of Eamon's guests turn in to pally conversations with people who have the same opinions on everything. If I want that, I can listen in to the RTE panel shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Very interesting interview with the Russian correspondent guy. Possibly the only guest to challenge Eamonn on his usual Orange man bad, BREXIT bad, Russians bad narrative. Far too many of Eamon's guests turn in to pally conversations with people who have the same opinions on everything. If I want that, I can listen in to the RTE panel shows.

That Russian guy was nuts he was all about whataboutism

I researched that Brian McDonald guy.

Google him. He’s a RT/Putin shill and has been for a long time. He pushes the pro Putin line at all times.

Presumably eamo has him on because he’s either dirt cheap or free

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Eamon: Russia is an authoritarian regime.

Bryan: Soft authoritarian.

In Russia the best authoritarianism is any authoritarianism.

Bryan has certainly drank deeply from the Russian cool aid punch bowl but he's worth a listen. Bit like Brendan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭blackwave

He was an interesting guest to say the least but so unbelievably up Putin ass, he was nearly a parody at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

humberklog wrote: »
    Eamon: Russia is an authoritarian regime.

Bryan: Soft authoritarian.

In Russia the best authoritarianism is any authoritarianism.

Bryan has certainly drank deeply from the Russian cool aid punch bowl but he's worth a listen. Bit like Brendan.

It's amazing when you live in another country for a while, that has a completely different political structure, how it becomes clear that yes this also works, people aren't that different, people aren't as unhappy as I expected, and democracy isn't even that dissimilar.

But you have to live in different places to understand that.

I like Chris johns but honestly it feels like Dunphy has the same conversation with him each time

Even down to eamo quoting Chris johns comment about the current Tory party.

Seriously, he needs to freshen it up a bit and not do the same interview ad nauseam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

That Russian guy was nuts he was all about whataboutism

I think whataboutism has it's place, in pointing out the difference in how the media treats Russia as opposed to other countries. Two things that this guy pointed out were:
    1. On the accusation of Trump's "Russian collusion", he pointed out that representatives of Obama had also met with Russians before he was elected.
    2. On the point of possible Russian interference in elections, he pointed out that the UK Government had got Obama over to tell the Brits about why they should stay in the EU. (i.e. that other Governments also interfere in elections)

I was actually shocked what little response Eamonn had for a number of his points. His knowledge on the topics offered him no means of rebuttal. He's far too use to having agreeable voices on the podcast, voices that will not offend Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I think whataboutism has it's place, in pointing out the difference in how the media treats Russia as opposed to other countries. Two things that this guy pointed out were:
    1. On the accusation of Trump's "Russian collusion", he pointed out that representatives of Obama had also met with Russians before he was elected.
    2. On the point of possible Russian interference in elections, he pointed out that the UK Government had got Obama over to tell the Brits about why they should stay in the EU. (i.e. that other Governments also interfere in elections)

I was actually shocked what little response Eamonn had for a number of his points. His knowledge on the topics offered him no means of rebuttal. He's far too use to having agreeable voices on the podcast, voices that will not offend Tesco.

Yeah that’s a fair point. Yer man was very pro Russia and having researched him further you can see that he’s pretty blind to the faults of the government there. However, he did raise some interesting and valid points and it was good to get another view rather than the prevailing Western opinion on Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

It's blatantly clear Eamo is massively afraid of COVID, which is completely fair as he is in the danger category.

However, it shouldn't stand in the way of one of his mantras about "proper journalism".
    In the latest Tomas Ryan interview, Tomas didn't know how long it would take for the Elimination theory to be realised. Then when he meekly suggested 3 months, there was no follow up about what would happen to an economy that is already completely on its knees, how would this be achieved in a country where public tolerance is already at a low ebb.

Eamon also threw out a blanket "young people are doing what they want", which to be fair Tomas somewhat kicked back on, but I have also seen young people doing all the proper social distancing, hygiene etc, and whilst not perfect, are in the main doing ok. I do completely acknowledge house parties and the like are a huge cause of concern and are way more likely to involve young people. However, at the same time, I have been crowded out in shops etc by 'older' people who don't seem to be able to wait the extra 10 seconds for me to get out of the way of the fruit they are trying to grab.

My point being, nobody is perfect here and these blanket statements are sensationalist, and in my experience, inaccurate.
    He is letting his fear of this virus get in the way of his questioning I feel, as although what the likes of Tomas Ryan suggest might eliminate the virus, to what cost to the economy, jobs, other health aspects (mental health) etc also need to be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

It's blatantly clear Eamo is massively afraid of COVID, which is completely fair as he is in the danger category.

However, it shouldn't stand in the way of one of his mantras about "proper journalism".
    In the latest Tomas Ryan interview, Tomas didn't know how long it would take for the Elimination theory to be realised. Then when he meekly suggested 3 months, there was no follow up about what would happen to an economy that is already completely on its knees, how would this be achieved in a country where public tolerance is already at a low ebb.

Eamon also threw out a blanket "young people are doing what they want", which to be fair Tomas somewhat kicked back on, but I have also seen young people doing all the proper social distancing, hygiene etc, and whilst not perfect, are in the main doing ok. I do completely acknowledge house parties and the like are a huge cause of concern and are way more likely to involve young people. However, at the same time, I have been crowded out in shops etc by 'older' people who don't seem to be able to wait the extra 10 seconds for me to get out of the way of the fruit they are trying to grab.

My point being, nobody is perfect here and these blanket statements are sensationalist, and in my experience, inaccurate.
    He is letting his fear of this virus get in the way of his questioning I feel, as although what the likes of Tomas Ryan suggest might eliminate the virus, to what cost to the economy, jobs, other health aspects (mental health) etc also need to be considered.

Ryan has answered the economy question a million times though. The hit the economy will take in a 3 month lockdown needed to achieve elimination is far less of a hit that the economy will take if it's half open and goes through multiple lockdowns.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

these blanket statements are sensationalist, and in my experience, inaccurate.

That's Dunphy. I do like his podcast but he has a history of throwing stuff like that out.

Ireland is a kip was another one in threw out.

The American guy on talking about Apple, Amazon, Google, and Facebook had an issue with a couple of these sensationalist questions from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Morrison J wrote: »
    Ryan has answered the economy question a million times though. The hit the economy will take in a 3 month lockdown needed to achieve elimination is far less of a hit that the economy will take if it's half open and goes through multiple lockdowns.

Nobody knows that for sure, guess work at best.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    That's Dunphy. I do like his podcast but he has a history of throwing stuff like that out.

Ireland is a kip was another one in threw out.

The American guy on talking about Apple, Amazon, Google, and Facebook had an issue with a couple of these sensationalist questions from him.

well he does have a place in Deauville and he's just back from holidays so I can see where that comes from.

Advertisement