Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There is a vested interest in driving down values of properties in the village. It begins with letter H. To buy properties they don't already own.

Motorists will not bother trying to access village , will be too much hassle. Look at Rathfarnham village. Its a dead backwater.

Same amount of parking as before. Why is a one-way system too much hassle?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There is a vested interest in driving down values of properties in the village. It begins with letter H. To buy properties they don't already own.

Motorists will not bother trying to access village , will be too much hassle. Look at Rathfarnham village. Its a dead backwater.
    Look at Blackrock.

Rathfarnham village is a dead backwater because it's a car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Peregrine wrote: »
    Look at Blackrock.

Rathfarnham village is a dead backwater because it's a car park.

... with dreadful public transport. At least, I tried to get there by public transport once from Balally, and it wasn't straightforward or fast. And I once looked at living there, but my then girlfriend couldn't see how she could practically get to work in town, based on the buses being constantly stuck in traffic.

But what strategy are they using to drive down values of properties? How are they making businesses close on Main Street?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Motorists already don't shop in Dundrum village, which all of us who are or were local know. Pedestrians stick to the side they are on due to the sh*tty roads and traffic. I had a look at the traffic one way plan and colour me shocked to find out, its actually better than i thought it would be. The roads are barely wide enough for parking and two way traffic as it is, get rid of a lane of traffic or car park spaces is the sensible thing, at least it gives some of those businesses a chance they may last.

I'd also be looking at moving all entrances into the shopping centre onto the by pass side and Tesco, the entrance on the village street is idiotic.

It's a minority concern, but it's quite hard to get a cargo bike into the Dundrum Village if you're heading north. The only option, apart from barging down the ramp at Lidl (I'm not rude enough to try it, so I can't think off-hand whether the geometry is even accommodating enough to allow it), is to go in through the car entrance, take a parking ticket, go under the barrier and discard the ticket. You can't lift a cargo bike up onto the footpath to use the second pedestrian entrance. I suppose you could continue on, and do a hard left onto the footpath at the t-junction and go in through the pedestrian entrance opposite the library.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    It's a minority concern, but it's quite hard to get a cargo bike into the Dundrum Village if you're heading north. The only option, apart from barging down the ramp at Lidl (I'm not rude enough to try it, so I can't think off-hand whether the geometry is even accommodating enough to allow it), is to go in through the car entrance, take a parking ticket, go under the barrier and discard the ticket. You can't lift a cargo bike up onto the footpath to use the second pedestrian entrance. I suppose you could continue on, and do a hard left onto the footpath at the t-junction and go in through the pedestrian entrance opposite the library.

It's a fair point, as is the question of where you can park it safely, and have reasonable confidence that it will be there when you get back. From memory, they have some good Sheffield stands outside Lidl, but I can't recall if you would have room for few cargo bikes.

The barriers are up at the entrance at present, so parking is free - though I presume that is a temporary measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

Who is this mysterious H? Hún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council?

We locals know the footfall, traffic levels. It does not require one way. The bypass took all the traffic from main street.

So if all the car traffic is already gone, what's left to lose by make the village more attractive for those who are on foot to spend more time there?

Maintaining low rent businesses in the old centre. A near derelict row of premises on western side of street. By keeping this status for years, they are hoping to empty the main street, pick up properties on the cheap , to complete their portfolio.

I still don't understand though. They own some premises and are keeping them closed to make the others close?
    We locals know the footfall, traffic levels. It does not require one way. The bypass took all the traffic from main street.

There is still a LOT of traffic passing through Dundrum. I cycle through Dundrum all the time, and I often choose another way to go because the Main Street is so cycling hostile -- mainly because there's no overtaking space: two lanes and car parking = very narrow lanes.
    Covid is a distraction here, it's been planned for years.

It's certainly possible that they're using it as a justification for ostensibly temporary measures that will be so popular and lucrative that they'll stay. I certainly hope so.

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    Who is this mysterious H? Hún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council?

Hammerson was my assumption

That fella from Steps probably has pretty deep pockets too though.

It's a fair point, as is the question of where you can park it safely, and have reasonable confidence that it will be there when you get back. From memory, they have some good Sheffield stands outside Lidl, but I can't recall if you would have room for few cargo bikes.

Yeah, the stands at Lidl are ok. You don't end up blocking the pedestrian passage, even with a long-base two-wheeler. The stands are too near the wall I would normally say, but in the case of a cargo bike it's pretty handy they're so near the wall, from the point of view of keeping the pedestrian passage clear.

Hammerson was my assumption

That fella from Steps probably has pretty deep pockets too though.

So Hammerson/Steps use their evil influence within DLRCC to create a horrific village atmosphere with awful wide footpaths and terrifying plants, force all the local businesses to close down, then buy their properties (with all their spare cash even though this company is in deep trouble?) and get the council to close the bypass and build a motorway through the village?

Am I on the right track?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Whilst they look chic and stylish and all that, they're not actually cycling :rolleyes:

So Hammerson/Steps use their evil influence within DLRCC to create a horrific village atmosphere with awful wide footpaths and terrifying plants, force all the local businesses to close down, then buy their properties (with all their spare cash even though this company is in deep trouble?) and get the council to close the bypass and build a motorway through the village?

Am I on the right track?

Sounds a bit like this:
    https://twitter.com/dlrcycling/status/1292528671090245640

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,078 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Won't someone please think of the children?

No but seriously I have probably had this rant before but should the question not be why are so many children now being driven to school.

Even amongst cyclists there are a group of parents complaining in Limerick City about how dangerous the commute is across the city on the busiest peak traffic roads in the city to get their kids to school rather than ask why kids aren't going to the school in walking distance or have better school buses

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

When they mention the 2 cycle lanes, are they talking about the 2 perfectly good / perfectly disconnected lines of paint running for about 160m on one side and about 230m on the other ?

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.287571,-6.2438982,3a,75y,150.54h,69.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4HlkPI9uw8Ev1eFtDHSC9w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Advertisement

Duckjob wrote: »
    When they mention the 2 cycle lanes, are they talking about the 2 perfectly good / perfectly disconnected lines of paint running for about 160m on one side and about 230m on the other ?

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.287571,-6.2438982,3a,75y,150.54h,69.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4HlkPI9uw8Ev1eFtDHSC9w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

It gets better when you have to negotiate the slip lanes for the car parks while cycling uphill.

It's not even clear to me that you can cycle into the car parks and lock up your bike and at least go to some shops in the Dundrum Town Centre, while you're busy not cycling anywhere near Main Street to appease the people who can't live with a one-way system.

Dundrum Main Street works are starting.
    https://twitter.com/dmcambrois/status/1292709580397580290

The barriers are up at the entrance at present, so parking is free - though I presume that is a temporary measure.

Too late - barriers now down at the Village Centre, as noted on my final nostalgic drive southbound through the village yesterday.

What happened to all the H conspiracy posts? Removed by mod or OP?

What happened to all the H conspiracy posts? Removed by mod or OP?

(Agents of 'H'. I have no time to write more. If they catch me writing this, they will harm me.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

They were all bollocks basically.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Piece on the new cycle lanes and cycle lane protection on the last word now. Generally positive do far. Conor faughnan trotted out as normal but he's broadly welcoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Piece on the new cycle lanes and cycle lane protection on the last word now. Generally positive do far. Conor faughnan trotted out as normal but he's broadly welcoming.

Afaik Conor Faughan "is a cyclist himself" (TM) so stays clear of going too far overboard on the vitriol even if his livelihood is protecting the status quo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Stark wrote: »
    Afaik Conor Faughan "is a cyclist himself" (TM) so stays clear of going too far overboard on the vitriol even if his livelihood is protecting the status quo.

He cycles to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

https://www.fingal.ie/news/fingal-county-council-commences-part-8-planning-application-harry-reynolds-road-pedestrian-and
    Fingal County Council has commenced the Part 8 planning application process for the Harry Reynolds Road Pedestrian and Cycle Route in Balbriggan.

The route forms part of the Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network Plan and will be an important element of sustainable infrastructure within the town of Balbriggan.

Linking several schools and local amenities and serving a large part of the local population, the National Transport Authority-funded scheme would also provide for a future link to the proposed Fingal Coastal Way.

Stark wrote: »

Let's not confuse cyclist with "bicycle user", there is a difference.

• Advertisement

ah here, no true scotsman.

MojoMaker wrote: »

Whats the difference?

Is there a is there a difference between a driver and a car user or a walker and footpath user then if we're going down that route :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I cycle to the shops, so I'm a bicycle user.
    I cycle on a road bike in lycra, so I'm a cyclist.
    I ride a MTB, so I'm a mountain biker.
    Funny thing is , when I'm out on a bike, I always feel as if I'm the same person.
    Funny that.

I cycle on a road bike in lycra, so to some I'm a wa**er.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭cletus

Could you perhaps elucidate on the differences between the two?

https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/1293228960223039490

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,078 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It was an ok piece in the sense that it was the usual over the top radio screaming match but nothing much was said really that was anything new but at least some of the points about cycle lane problems and quality that we often talk about here got to a wide audience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

i suspect whatever issues the locals who actually live on strand road might have with a one way system will be tempered by the knowledge that it will at least halve the HGV traffic heading for the port or the east link, coming past their houses.

HGV traffic (5-axle) is not permitted on Strand Road in normal circumstances. Also, whatever traffic is not going on the Strand road will just migrate westwards to flow through Sandymount or Merrion. As much as I am happy to see dedicated cycling facilities being installed, Strand Road is desperately unable to cope with reduced capacity being a major artery to/from the east link.

I will be delighted to be proved wrong on this, but I can't see this being successful for most people.

PaulieC wrote: »
    HGV traffic (5-axle) is not permitted on Strand Road in normal circumstances.
    it used to be on my commute, before lockdown. there were quite a lot of HGVs ignoring the ban in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

it used to be on my commute, before lockdown. there were quite a lot of HGVs ignoring the ban in my experience.

Semantics I know, but ignoring or having a lawful exemption ? Either way, it boils down to the same thing - trucks on the road.

It's on my commute too and I live in Ringsend area so I use the road a lot and I have never found it dangerous or inconvenient to cycle on. That's by-the-by but I do think that this will negatively affect the Ringsend/Irishtown and Sandymount areas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The strand road is not pleasant to cycle on. No space for anything else but single lane traffic each way, revving engines and drivers pissed off behind you as they can't pass you because there is no room with on coming traffic. cars parked at the side of the road who just love flinging their doors open at you.

I am struggling to see how not being choked with motor traffic will harm an area.

Plus there are the dart benefits too, the gates only have to go down for half the amount of traffic! I imagine the Rock Road will get busier, but hopefully it will, like most protected infra has (the new blackrock to dun laoghaire one has already), get more families, kids and people in general out on their bikes to the area instead of piling into a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Used to cycle strand road daily, I had my fair share of close passes, cars pulling out at roundabouts, tailgators and even an attempted assault. It was a perilous dash twice a day, every day. However despite the danger it was a million times better cycling it than driving it. If the local residents are supportive its a great idea to re-allocate space to cyclists from motorised transport and the closest thing to the Utrecht traffic calming model that we have seen in Ireland.

the main issue with the east link for the southside is that there is no single sensible approach to it really. at least on the northside, the traffic can be funnelled into the tunnel.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I cycle to the shops, so I'm a bicycle user.
    I cycle on a road bike in lycra, so I'm a cyclist.
    I ride a MTB, so I'm a mountain biker.
    Funny thing is , when I'm out on a bike, I always feel as if I'm the same person.
    Funny that.

Nope, you're a cyclist Eamonnator. You have a demonstrated passion for cycling, a love of bikes, a determination to put your bike ahead of other easier forms of transport, someone who cherishes their rides, looks after your equipment, and looks forward to getting out on the bike / any bike as often as possible, has more than one bike, and actively consumes a variety of biking-related media and information, often with a deep interest in the sporting side of affairs - unless of course I've taken you up incorrectly all these years :)

^^ As are most regular posters on this forum. Occasionally an interloper will wind their way in here spouting "...but I'm a cyclist too..." in order to defend/deflect the actions of others towards those that have a grá for the bike.

Cletus, you wouldn't have laboured hours of love into your Muddy Fox resto if you were just a bicycle user. By definition you're a cyclist too.

I make a strong distinction between the two, without apology. More often than not the actions of bicycle users reflect poorly on the cyclist community - those in their cages or on their footpaths see us as all one. By and large the cyclists I know and see (a) are courteous to non-cyclists, (b) obey the rules of the road, (c) look after their equipment, (d) know how to ride capably and display this clearly and consistently.

Bicycle users on the other hand struggle with much of the above. Plenty of room for all of us of course, for the love of God just don't pretend that Conor Faughnan is a cyclist :pac:

a perfect example of no true scotsman.
    it's like saying someone isn't a motorist if they consistently break the road traffic law.

I'm afraid that, despite the kudos and plaudits, Mojomaker, I have to agree with magicbastarder.

If you are on a bike, you're a cyclist. If you are driving a car, you're a motorist, etc and so forth.

We can't exclude people from any of the many groups they inhabit because we don't like the behaviour they exhibit. There are good and bad people in every walk of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Mojomaker is 100% correct.

You earn the right to be a cyclist by riding a bike regularly and competently, with some degree of passion, I would say.

Shame that it has been hijacked by lefty weirdos, who seem to be more concerned with social media validation. But I guess it was inevitable.

Biker79 wrote: »
    Mojomaker is 100% correct.

You earn the right to be a cyclist by riding a bike regularly and competently, with some degree of passion, I would say.

Shame that it has been hijacked by lefty weirdos, who seem to be more concerned with social media validation. But I guess it was inevitable.

So who is the arbiter of this group 'cyclist'

'hijacked' is a bizarre word to use. the hijacking is being done by anyone who claims some sort of entry level of competence or piety to be considered a cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

cletus wrote: »
    So who is the arbiter of this group 'cyclist'

Once you become one, you recognize it in someone else.

Cultures with a low barrier to entry are never worth being part of. Whether its cycling or anything else.

I suppose some will find that offensive but that's the times we live in.

Advertisement