Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How be happy...single..never find love

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

karen29070 wrote: »
    Hi everyone thanks a million for all the advice.
    I will say i've had a lot of issues with accepting myself & loving myself first etc but i've been working on myself for a long time now & i am in a much better place.
    I'm on tinder & pof on & off the last 2 years. Maybe my attitude is **** now as i don't believe anything will happen for me. I mean i do get a lot of likes on tinder etc but no one suggests meeting & i very rarely get a message. I just don't know where to go to meet men. My interests are mainly dogs & football :). I have been thinking of trying a dating agency but cannot afford it at the moment

What's stopping you sending the first message/suggesting a meeting??? Don't be so passive, if you want something to happen, take the initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 karen29070

Yes I do send first messages & I've met up with two guys (in the 2 years I've been on it) & I was the one who suggested meeting up

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Goodigal

skimpydoo wrote: »
    I am a male, in my late 40's and I have been single for 9 years. During the past 3 years, I have been battling cancer and because of this, I have not been seriously looking for anyone. Last week I was told I am in remission and I am ready to start dating again.

It would be great to meet someone but if I don't that's life.

I couldn't pass this without commenting. That's fantastic for you. I wish you well!

I am newly single in my mid 40s (not by choice!) and the dating scene terrifies me. I have two children. I just want to be me, not 'mam' on a night out and I am finding this incredibly hard. I don't want to go on apps or sites. It is all based on looks!! At my age, I haven't the energy to compete. As others have said, if I don't find someone else, sure feckit!

But OP, I sincerely hope you find somebody to make you happy. Be happy in yourself and that happiness can attract people to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Goodigal wrote: »
    I am newly single in my mid 40s (not by choice!) and the dating scene terrifies me. I have two children. I just want to be me, not 'mam' on a night out and I am finding this incredibly hard. I don't want to go on apps or sites. It is all based on looks!! At my age, I haven't the energy to compete. As others have said, if I don't find someone else, sure feckit!

But OP, I sincerely hope you find somebody to make you happy. Be happy in yourself and that happiness can attract people to you.

Is being "a mam on a night out" something real, or could it just be a label you might be slapping on yourself? ;)

• Advertisement

Is being "a mam on a night out" something real, or could it just be a label you might be slapping on yourself? ;)

Lol. It's my label! I can leave it at home sometimes!! I suppose it's a confidence thing for me, but I don't harp on about my children on a night out. ;) Nobody wants to hear that!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Goodigal wrote: »
    Lol. It's my label! I can leave it at home sometimes!! I suppose it's a confidence thing for me, but I don't harp on about my children on a night out. ;) Nobody wants to hear that!

Well....is that true either? ;) Lots of people love kids and want to have kids or already have them. So I’d say sprinkling in a bit about them is absolutely fine, and you can always gauge someone’s interest levels pretty quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Garzard

Was in my first relationship for about 10 months until last January when it ended. Everything was perfect until around the eight month together when it started getting sour for various reasons. She was everything I wanted in a woman, a breath of fresh air and I loved her to bits, but once the honeymoon period fizzled out I was becoming stressed with the amount of time we were spending together - about 4 nights a week in the later stages, and it lead to increasing arguments. I think we both became increasingly stressed and irritable towards each other because of that.

Another sticking point was that I felt she was looking for too much commitment too soon e.g. the possibility of moving in together after only 6 months into the relationship and her desire for several children before 30 (she was 24 and myself 25 at the time). I was in no position at all financially to move out, much less consider having children and still won't be for some time. For many reasons I've never been enthusiastic on having kids either.

After several arguments in January, we agreed to take a month's break apart and when we last met for a drink to finalise the breakup and discuss our issues, we ended on amicable terms thankfully. I admit I still think about her now and again.

At the end of the day despite having a great social group and plenty of friends I've always been quite a solitary person; my own time and freedom to myself to do my own thing without relationship or child-related responsibilities is hugely important to me, so as much as I loved her, I'm actually happier being single I think, until maybe I meet the 100% right person for me. :)

Advertisement