Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ferguson Ariva 153: Please post questions here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 CillBillll

My receiver thinks some terrestrial channels are radio stations mainly BBC FOUR, BBC RB, ITV(2,3,4,Be)+1, Quest+1 4music and 4seven

Sometimes re-tuning puts them in the tv list but then puts others with the radio stations

Has this happened to anyone else? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Logo

STB. wrote: »
    Don't edit the main channel list. Make a favourites list and copy the channels you want to that list.
    Many of the channels on my Ariva 153 box were no longer working so I deleted all and re-tuned channels. But how do I make a favourite list? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Is there an app to download to use as a remote control for the Ariva 153? There used be , “Ariva STB Remote” but the AppStore haven’t updated it in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SandyMac1234

Help please.
    Ariva 153 box stopped working.
    TV showing Mode not supported.
    Have checked TV with Xbox using same cable no issue.
    Had some one look at connection on roof to dish and ariel look good.
    English stations were working yesterday, but did notice Irish have been gone for a time.
    Any info much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

Haven't had the Irish stations for a long time. Did they change frequencies? It's possible my puny indoor aerial isn't good enough. Lot's of satellite channels HAVE changed. Is there a way to download settings, and does somebody have some? Recently started splitting audio out with a small splitter box and impressed to see the Ariva does surround sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

https://www.saorview.ie/changes
    ps200306 wrote: »
    Haven't had the Irish stations for a long time. Did they change frequencies? Recently started splitting audio out with a small splitter box and impressed to see the Ariva does surround sound.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Tony wrote: »

CNN won't tune in now, anyone know why?

CNN won't tune in now, anyone know why?

Check the signal quality or the transponder. Maybe your dish is ever so slightly off. I know I lose CNN when the weather is bad so the signal isn’t the strongest anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Check the signal quality or the transponder. Maybe your dish is ever so slightly off. I know I lose CNN when the weather is bad so the signal isn’t the strongest anyway

Works fine on an inbuilt TV tuner though

Works fine on an inbuilt TV tuner though

Are you using 11671 H 23000? I’m not at home to check but I know 11082 H 22000 definitely works for CNN sd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Samain

Apologies if this has been brought up before but...

I am on my second Ariva 153 box and both have suffered the same issue - If I am recording a channel and switch off the TV, the Ariva resets itself i.e. switches off and back on, thus ruining the recording. It doesn't happen everytime, but enough to be a pain. Connecting by SCART instead of HDMI seemed to fix it, but then I can't watch in HD unless I keep unplugging and replugging the cables.

Very, very occasionally (it happened this morning), I can be sitting watching it, not even moving, when the box resets itself as described above.

Has this happened to anyone else? I wondered if getting the 4K box might be better.

Look for the HDMI CEC setting on the ariva to see if it makes any difference

Samain wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been brought up before but...

I am on my second Ariva 153 box and both have suffered the same issue - If I am recording a channel and switch off the TV, the Ariva resets itself i.e. switches off and back on, thus ruining the recording. It doesn't happen everytime, but enough to be a pain. Connecting by SCART instead of HDMI seemed to fix it, but then I can't watch in HD unless I keep unplugging and replugging the cables.

Very, very occasionally (it happened this morning), I can be sitting watching it, not even moving, when the box resets itself as described above.

Has this happened to anyone else? I wondered if getting the 4K box might be better.

Look for the HDMI CEC setting on the ariva to see if it makes any difference

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I have tried that before and it didn't make a difference but will try again. It was switched OFF but is now ON.

UPDATE: Switching on HDMI CEC cancels out my existing HDMI synchronisation between TV and AV Receiver, so no good.

Any CEC setting on the TV ?

Samain wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion. I think I have tried that before and it didn't make a difference but will try again. It was switched OFF but is now ON.

UPDATE: Switching on HDMI CEC cancels out my existing HDMI synchronisation between TV and AV Receiver, so no good.

Any CEC setting on the TV ?

Yes, it's already switched on. But... they all seem to be working together now, except that when Ariva comes on, it's muted on the AV receiver and I have to revert to TV sound.

I'll try recording some stuff with CEC on and see if it makes any difference.

There's separate audio out on the ariva if thats any help.

There's separate audio out on the ariva if thats any help.

I've had to switch it back to 'CEC off' as there were too many issues between the TV/Ariva/AV Receiver. Sometimes they all switch off with one button, but then they do not all switch back on. Then the issue with the Ariva being muted - it's actually muted with the mute indicator appearing onscreen, and it won't unmute. To be honest, it's worse than my original problem with the Ariva randomly restarting itself. Do you know if CEC being on would actually fix this?

Strange that the ariva mutes as it will usually only do this if it receives a command via CEC from another device. Not sure what else to suggest sorry.

Strange that the ariva mutes as it will usually only do this if it receives a command via CEC from another device. Not sure what else to suggest sorry.

It's a puzzle! Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Can anything be done for a 153 that is only getting to the "Start" LCD display on boot up

• Advertisement

It may be possible to fix with a firmware update but you would need another identical box and a null modem cable or a laptop with null modem cable. Could also be a power supply issue

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

Does anyone have an up to date Channel List available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Hey, I'm getting no signal on my freesat channels. Are there checks I can do myself to diagnose the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mdl100

Hi

I'm having a problem at the moment where I start recording, say on channel 9 and after a while (anything from 20 to 40 minutes) the channel automatically switches back to channel 1 and stops recording.

I have tried 3 different external USB drives (1 with a separate power supply). I though that they were running out of storage but I wiped one of the drives and the problem is still there.

Anyone experience this?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭MenloPete

mdl100 wrote: »

Anyone experience this?

In a word - no.
    Is your box set to power up on Channel 1?
    If it is, then maybe you're seeing a brief loss of power which causes a restart.
    Have you seen it happen? You should be able to distinguish between a restart and it just switching channels.
    And if it is restarting, then maybe you have the old bad capacitor problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Steviesol

Anyone know how to change time on this. Still an hour behind which change of time etc.

Steviesol wrote: »
    Anyone know how to change time on this. Still an hour behind which change of time etc.

Menu
    System
    Local time setting
    Change summer time to on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mdl100

MenloPete wrote: »
    In a word - no.
    Is your box set to power up on Channel 1?
    If it is, then maybe you're seeing a brief loss of power which causes a restart.
    Have you seen it happen? You should be able to distinguish between a restart and it just switching channels.
    And if it is restarting, then maybe you have the old bad capacitor problem...

I've done some more testing on this. So I changed the startup channel to 7. Powering off and back on its starting on 7 alright. But the issues is still occurring and the box goes back to channel 1.

So just to add more confusion. I got a loan of an Ariva 253 and I'm experiencing the same issue! So at this stage I'm seeing the same problem using the 153, 253 and across 3 different external drives.

I'm at a loss at this stage.

Try testing without the dish or aerial connected if you can. Can you borrow a power supply also ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭MenloPete

mdl100 wrote: »
    I got a loan of an Ariva 253 and I'm experiencing the same issue! So at this stage I'm seeing the same problem using the 153, 253 and across 3 different external drives.

I'm at a loss at this stage.

Time to think outside the (ST)Box!
    Perhaps you're getting an infra-red signal from something else in the room.
    Try covering up the sensor on the front of the box to see what happens...

Advertisement