Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badgers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ghetofarmulous

I once told an Ex that a group of badgers will climb a tree and wait for a dear to walk under then they all drop at once and tear the dear apart. I got a lot of Mileage out of that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I once told an Ex that a group of badgers will climb a tree and wait for a dear to walk under then they all drop at once and tear the dear apart. I got a lot of Mileage out of that one.

Of course it happens, dear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Great way to get her upstairs is to tell her about RATS that hunt in packs of 20 or 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Stewball

I used to drive a taxi in rural areas a few years ago. I'd regularly see them crossing the road in the middle of night near woodland areas - usually late spring early summer time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've a few living down the end of my garden. A few years back one in particular used to show up every evening in the summer months around 8 and look in the porch window at whatever was going on. They seemed very curious. Would stick around for about thirty minutes having an oul gander. All that was missing was a bag of popcorn. :D They're also into digging holes in lawns and flower beds and making a racket of grunts and growls in the middle of the night.

Even more years back an elderly neighbour of mine and very sound bloke used to sit out of a summer's evening and feed them. They'd walk single file right up to within a metre of him and eat. Very cool to watch. They seemed to recognise him specifically and wouldn't show if there was anyone else with him. Very cool. :)

I've encountered one or two down the years in daytime. Once quite close up. We both got a shock at seeing each other and both of us froze. The badger made the first move and slowly backed away, with the odd backward glance, back to his gaff. "Here Anne, I just bumped into one of those monkey things. Jaysus they're only feckin huge up close. Smell bad too". :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Wibbs wrote: »
    I've a few living down the end of my garden. A few years back one in particular used to show up every evening in the summer months around 8 and look in the porch window at whatever was going on. They seemed very curious. Would stick around for about thirty minutes having an oul gander. All that was missing was a bag of popcorn. :D They're also into digging holes in lawns and flower beds and making a racket of grunts and growls in the middle of the night.

Even more years back an elderly neighbour of mine and very sound bloke used to sit out of a summer's evening and feed them. They'd walk single file right up to within a metre of him and eat. Very cool to watch. They seemed to recognise him specifically and wouldn't show if there was anyone else with him. Very cool. :)

I've encountered one or two down the years in daytime. Once quite close up. We both got a shock at seeing each other and both of us froze. The badger made the first move and slowly backed away, with the odd backward glance, back to his gaff. "Here Anne, I just bumped into one of those monkey things. Jaysus they're only feckin huge up close. Smell bad too". :D

That last part made me laugh, reminded me of a few years ago sitting on a riverbank fishing and along comes a mink, didn't notice me, then we locked eyes and it was bit like the standoff scene in the good, the bad and the ugly, it went for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

That last part made me laugh, reminded me of a few years ago sitting on a riverbank fishing and along comes a mink, didn't notice me, then we locked eyes and it was bit like the standoff scene in the good, the bad and the ugly, it went for ages

I saw this with my dog and a semi wild cat. There was a small patch of grass surrounded by a wall on 3 sides, open on the other. The dog was sniffing in by the wall and I could hear kittens crying somewhere on the other side. The mother cat came back and they see each other and both freeze and the dog know's shes cornered in a tight spot. After a bit they both begin to move, the dog ever so slowly to her right and the mother cat to her right, both going anti-clockwise until the dog is on the outside and the cat on the inside and then hops the wall to her young. The dog trots off all casual but you could see she was shítting herself seconds before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I saw this with my dog and a semi wild cat. There was a small patch of grass surrounded by a wall on 3 sides, open on the other. The dog was sniffing in by the wall and I could hear kittens crying somewhere on the other side. The mother cat came back and they see each other and both freeze and the dog know's shes cornered in a tight spot. After a bit they both begin to move, the dog ever so slowly to her right and the mother cat to her right, both going anti-clockwise until the dog is on the outside and the cat on the inside and then hops the wall to her young. The dog trots off all casual but you could see she was shítting herself seconds before.

Probably sensed the motherly protective instinct from her, there was a wildcat with kittens under a sheet of galvanise just up the road from me with a hole as an entrance, my mutt made the foolish mistake of sticking his nose in it one evening, he did a wide circle around it in future whilst giving it dirty looks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Probably sensed the motherly protective instinct from her, there was a wildcat with kittens under a sheet of galvanise just up the road from me with a hole as an entrance, my mutt made the foolish mistake of sticking his nose in it one evening, he did a wide circle around it in future whilst giving it dirty looks

An angry cat is a scary thing.

As for badgers I've only ever seen them dead on the road and a lot in the UK when I'm there where I see an inordinately high amount of roadkill in general compared to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DarTipp

Bob Harris wrote: »
    An angry cat is a scary thing.

As for badgers I've only ever seen them dead on the road and a lot in the UK when I'm there where I see an inordinately high amount of roadkill in general compared to Ireland.
    never seen them in the flesh only road kills :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

mgn wrote: »
    The may not break your leg, but the will do a lot of damage before the let it go.

How many badger maulings were there in Ireland last year? I am guessing zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

RobertKK wrote: »
    The department of agriculture cull them near where I live as they were spreading TB.

But the department of agriculture started culling after many cases of TB in the area and badgers were dying in fields and on the road. It did seem to solve the TB problem in the area.

Dept of Ag didn't even bother testing any of the animals they culled to see if they had TB. And culling just gave the remaining badgers more space for them to roam.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

https://twitter.com/i/status/1203052086834937856

I was left stranded in the midlands of the UK a few years ago and went looking for hostel accommodation to no avail. So I kipped out in a ditch on the edge of a football pitch. Anyway I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of loud, snuffling noises. It was a badger, but it ran away when I moved slightly, it's large body wobbling into the dark void.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Bio Mech wrote: »
    How many badger maulings were there in Ireland last year? I am guessing zero.

So your guessing, in other words you haven't a clue.

So your guessing, in other words you haven't a clue.

Zero reports of any badgers attacking humans in 2017, 2018 and 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Badger my ass it's probably just Milhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Effects wrote: »

Badgers don't attack humans, unless their cornered and no way out, and when the do it's not pleasant.

Badgers don't attack humans, unless their cornered and no way out, and when the do it's not pleasant.

Except there are no records of any badgers attacking humans for the past number of years.

It's pretty hard to corner a badger by accident anyway.

It's stupid when people talk about how dangerous badgers are when they don't actually attack people. You are far more likely to be attacked and killed by a cow.

Except there are no records of any badgers attacking humans for the past number of years.

It's pretty hard to corner a badger by accident anyway.

It's stupid when people talk about how dangerous badgers are when they don't actually attack people. You are far more likely to be attacked and killed by a cow.

Since when did we start keep records of every accident in this country?,how many people got legs broken from kicks from cows last year, where are you getting your statistics from.
    As for cornering a badger its very easy for them to get caught in an old shed or house.

• Advertisement

Since when did we start keep records of every accident in this country?

At least 20 years ago or so.

At least 20 years ago or so.

And i suppose you have access to all that information too.

And i suppose you have access to all that information too.

No. Not all of it.

No. Not all of it.

So going back to my original point, you haven't got a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,652 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

gozunda wrote: »

That's an actual outtake from the John Lewis ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Since when did we start keep records of every accident in this country?,how many people got legs broken from kicks from cows last year, where are you getting your statistics from.
    As for cornering a badger its very easy for them to get caught in an old shed or house.

You would have be either very unlucky or extremely stupid to end up on the losing side of a badger vs human encounter.

You're suggest putting polystyrene down your wellies in case of a badger attack, to fool him into thinking he's broken your leg.
    Clearly it's you who doesn't have a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

They just haven't found the bodies yet:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Okay then. How many badgers have attacked or harmed people in Ireland in the past five years?

The nearest I'm aware of (and I have a lot of experience with badgers and with people who deal with them regularly) is a snarl or snap when trapped or snared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Advertisement