Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badgers

Options
  • 12-12-2019 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭

Just a question, a bit of an odd one but on the off chance that someone might know..where is the best place to spot badgers in Ireland..I know there is lots of them but they only come out at night and hard to spot..Also whats the best way to get them out of their quarters during the day(smoking aside), perhaps leave nuts by the den?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

the badger parade

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

They are a protected species. Hands off, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Day Lewin wrote: »

No I don't want to harm them, just take a few photos maybe, only badgers Ive ever seen are roadkill

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

the badger parade

What time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

beaten by an inch.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

It’s not a black and white issue OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Be careful. A fully grown badger is a strong animal, if you cornered one it would jump up and rip your throat out with its fangs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

They'd be more inclined towards cat food.

If you're in Dublin there are a fair few of them in the Phoenix park, but they are very hard to catch a glimpse of, mainly because they're nocturnal and actively avoid people. They tend to sett in places that aren't very accessible to people, I've lived beside the park my whole life and I don't think I've ever knowingly seen a sett.

Also they don't fully hibernate but are much less active during the winter and don't come out in cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I have a badger that sometimes finishes off whatever the dog leaves behind. He comes right up to a glass door, always at night. It’s very unusual to see them out during the day.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

wiggle16 wrote: »
    They'd be more inclined towards cat food.

If you're in Dublin there are a fair few of them in the Phoenix park, but they are very hard to catch a glimpse of, mainly because they're nocturnal and actively avoid people. They tend to sett in places that aren't very accessible to people, I've lived beside the park my whole life and I don't think I've ever knowingly seen a sett.

Also they don't fully hibernate but are much less active during the winter and don't come out in cold weather.

Thanks for that. They are elusive characters. I was thinking more of the springtime to go looking for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

They are nocturnal op.

Be very careful approaching one, they have very sharp teeth and are very safety conscious, particularly around their young. It could get nasty. They can be vicious.

badger_2709126120.jpg
    Badger_1_3268452k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Woodlands is always a good place, especially if theres a stream near by. Keep your distance because their a dangerous thing and hardy. I heard a few old fellas around here who used trap badgers put 2 sticks on the side of their legs in case they were bitten. A badger wont let go until it hears the bone breaks. when it hears sticks break it'll leave go. I never tried it

Woodlands is always a good place, especially if theres a stream near by. Keep your distance because their a dangerous thing and hardy. I heard a few old fellas around here who used trap badgers put 2 sticks on the side of their legs in case they were bitten. A badger wont let go until it hears the bone breaks. when it hears sticks break it'll leave go. I never tried it

No I'll keep a safe distance, I wont be approaching them or trying to touch them or anything, beautiful animals though, that's why I want to see one(A live one)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

That's true, polystyrene down the side of the wellington boot is another one

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

mgn wrote: »
    That's true, polystyrene down the side of the wellington boot is another one

Greta will be giving out if she sees you using that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Sounds like an old wives tale to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

OP and friend confront badger having his dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

No I'll keep a safe distance, I wont be approaching them or trying to touch them or anything, beautiful animals though, that's why I want to see one(A live one)!

They also have a tendency to carry TB.

One used to visit a house I lived in, he was after windfalls. Used to hear it around 2am, thought someone was in my front garden until I spotted it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Yeah, don't badger the badgers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I heard the same about a million times as a kid, but it's not true. They don't have the bite force required to break legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Lovely animals who get all the wrong press - I have a few that walk through my garden - have caught them on trail Cam -

They are nocturnal. You might see them coming out of their Sett in the forest. You rarely come across one by accident, you'd need to go to somewhere with known activity but because of their bad press some may not give those locations away.

Try the nature forum

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

One used to visit a house I lived in, he was after windfalls. Used to hear it around 2am, thought someone was in my front garden until I spotted it.

At least that was the conspiracy theory from the farmers some years back, whether that was justification to massacre a load of the poor critters I don't know

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

What the say around my area is, if you have badgers on your land and you never had a problem with TB, leave them as the are, as the keep out new badgers out of their territory who may have TB.
    Better the devil you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

At least that was the conspiracy theory from the farmers some years back, whether that was justification to massacre a load of the poor critters I don't know

Apparently the culling works, the downside is that when badgers are being culled they travel further. Double edged sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Nope. Apparently based on various scientific research relating to transmission. Various government departments have remit for same. New research into vaccine bring trialled ...

gozunda wrote: »
    Nope. Apparently based on various scientific research relating to transmission. Various government departments have remit for same. New research into vaccine bring trialled ...

Oh well what can you do. Hopefully it was done in a humane manner

I heard the same about a million times as a kid, but it's not true. They don't have the bite force required to break legs.

The may not break your leg, but the will do a lot of damage before the let it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I have a badger that sometimes finishes off whatever the dog leaves behind. He comes right up to a glass door, always at night. It’s very unusual to see them out during the day.

Does your dog not go mental? I have 2 foxes that visit every night for food I leave out for them and the cats, even if my dog senses them he goes crazy, they hate them. On the plus side, it's hilarious watching on the cctv the nightly battle between the cats and foxes over the food, cats take no messing

• Advertisement

Does your dog not go mental? I have 2 foxes that visit every night for food I leave out for them and the cats, even if my dog senses them he goes crazy, they hate them. On the plus side, it's hilarious watching on the cctv the nightly battle between the cats and foxes over the food, cats take no messing

cats are tough mofos, will stand their ground against much bigger and more vicious creatures

Advertisement