Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Gintonious wrote: »

Maybe Commanchie can point out where Khabib “walked into the crowd when McGregor kicked??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    I think it will be a painful night for McGregor fans. Conor mauled for two rounds, fight stopped half way through the 3rd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Gintonious wrote: »

0.18 Dans's fat neck giving Conor balance :pac:

This is great: Hardy/Dom Cruz
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jsIe-Bv0IA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

McGregor by Sub
    eagle eye wrote: »
    bmcc10 wrote:
    McGregor has reach advantage as he does over nearly all lw's
    Well they might be saying that McGregor has a reach advantage but my eyes are telling me Khabib has. I may be wrong and it might look different tomorrow night but just looking at them there when they got close it looked to me like Khabib had longer arms.

Not saying it's fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

backspin. wrote:
    I think it will be a painful night for McGregor fans. Conor mauled for two rounds, fight stopped half way through the 3rd.

I think it's impossible to call this fight. Khabib has to be careful coming in, he has never done that. If he doesn't then thus could be over in seconds. He has to respect Conor's power. If he circles and waits for his opportunity then he could have Conor on the floor and game over quickly.
    One thing I don't see is this fight going beyond two rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

McGregor by Sub
    eagle eye wrote: »
    McGregor looks in the best shape I've ever seen him but you can see the height and reach advantage for Khabib there.

Anybody giving out about Conor hasn't a clue. The reason this fight is breaking all UFC records is because if Conor McGregor and everything he does.
    McGregor has a 74 inch reach and Khabib has a 70 inch reach...
    Are these threads normally like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    parc wrote: »

source.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Nurmagomedov by Decision
    Mcgregor looks rattled. Going to be a short night for him. Never seen one of his opponents in mma look so confident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Mcgregor looks rattled. Going to be a short night for him. Never seen one of his opponents in mma look so confident.

Looked the same as pretty much all his other fights.

It made sense when these media weigh in's weren't just a ceremonial farce and he was actually dehydrated gagging for a bottle of lucozade sport, now it's just WWE style showmanship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Its a pity we dont get to see proper face offs involving McGregor these days, due to the unpredictability of the man himself of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    I see this fight ending in another Herb Dean stoppage controversy - but this time for being too premature. Khabib hammering away at Conor late on, Dean steps in to end it, leaving McGregor and his team unhappy at what they perceive was an early stoppage. Then a narrative forms about how the Dollaway fight must have been playing on Dean's mind and he didn't want to face more flak. McGregor and his camp will then plead for a rematch at MSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

McGregor by Sub
    I think McGregor will wobble his head in R1. Guys a different breed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor by Sub
    Khabib's height advantage isn't that much, it just looks as if it is because Khabib has a funny shaped head.

Seriously, if you discount the elongated top part of his skull, then they're almost the same height.

Their eye level is almost bang on the same.......

oie_G7E3XAeVYHUS-696x392.jpg

• Advertisement

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Conor was wearing heeled shoes, Khabib was wearing trainers.

There's a decent inch and a bit between them.

Won't make a difference when Khabib's mounted him and Conor's looking for a way out all the same.

McGregor by Sub
    Nice try, but nope, if anything Khabib was the one with the pumps at the presser..........

mcgkhabib888.jpg

Won't make a difference when Khabib's mounted him and Conor's looking for a way out all the same.

It'll make a difference when McGrgeor gives his elongated crown a couple of smacks like he did Poirier.

McGregor by Sub
    Preview of tomorrow night's opening video presentation narrated by John Malkovich:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭cletus

*Drops into this thread because the other one is a shït show*

*Drops back out again*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

The salaries have been released. Win bonus is in brackets. Tony Ferguson's win bonus is real, it has been confirmed by multiple sources and it is a ridiculous number.

Conor McGregor: $3 million flat

Khabib Nurmagomedov: $2 million flat

Tony Ferguson: $150,000 ($5,000 win bonus)

Anthony Pettis: $145,000 ($145,000 win bonus)

Ovince Saint Preux: $86,000 ($86,000 win bonus)

Dominick Reyes: $45,000 ($45,000 win bonus)

Derrick Lewis: $135,000 ($135,000 win bonus)

Alexander Volkov: $75,000 ($75,000 win bonus)

Michelle Waterson: $50,000 ($50,000 win bonus)

Felice Herrig: $40,000 ($40,000 win bonus)

Sergio Pettis: $46,000 ($46,000 win bonus)

Jussier Formiga: $43,000 ($43,000 win bonus)

Vicente Luque: $38,000 ($38,000 win bonus)

Jalin Turner: $10,000 ($10,000 win bonus)

Aspen Ladd: $12,000 ($12,000 win bonus)

Tonya Evinger: $30,000 ($30,000 win bonus)

Scott Holtzman: $30,000 ($30,000 win bonus)

Alan Patrick: $30,000 ($30,000 win bonus)

Lina Lansberg: $20,000 ($20,000 win bonus)

Yana Kunitskaya: $25,000 ($25,000 win bonus)

Gray Maynard: $54,000 ($54,000 win bonus)

Nik Lentz: $50,000 ($50,000 win bonus)

Ryan LaFlare: $33,000 ($33,000 win bonus)

Tony Martin: $28,000 ($28,000 win bonus)

• Advertisement

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    cliggg wrote: »
    The salaries have been released. Win bonus is in brackets. Tony Ferguson's win bonus is real, it has been confirmed by multiple sources and it is a ridiculous number.

Conor McGregor: $3 million flat

Khabib Nurmagomedov: $2 million flat

Tony Ferguson: $150,000 ($5,000 win bonus)

Anthony Pettis: $145,000 ($145,000 win bonus)

Ovince Saint Preux: $86,000 ($86,000 win bonus)

Dominick Reyes: $45,000 ($45,000 win bonus)

Derrick Lewis: $135,000 ($135,000 win bonus)

Alexander Volkov: $75,000 ($75,000 win bonus)

Michelle Waterson: $50,000 ($50,000 win bonus)

Felice Herrig: $40,000 ($40,000 win bonus)

Sergio Pettis: $46,000 ($46,000 win bonus)

Jussier Formiga: $43,000 ($43,000 win bonus)

Vicente Luque: $38,000 ($38,000 win bonus)

Jalin Turner: $10,000 ($10,000 win bonus)

Aspen Ladd: $12,000 ($12,000 win bonus)

Tonya Evinger: $30,000 ($30,000 win bonus)

Scott Holtzman: $30,000 ($30,000 win bonus)

Alan Patrick: $30,000 ($30,000 win bonus)

Lina Lansberg: $20,000 ($20,000 win bonus)

Yana Kunitskaya: $25,000 ($25,000 win bonus)

Gray Maynard: $54,000 ($54,000 win bonus)

Nik Lentz: $50,000 ($50,000 win bonus)

Ryan LaFlare: $33,000 ($33,000 win bonus)

Tony Martin: $28,000 ($28,000 win bonus)

If Tony doesn't have at least a tiny PPV point deal this makes no sense. I know Petis' contract is a remnant of when he was champion, but that 5k to win is retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

McGregor by Sub
    What is Gray Maynard still doing fighting ffs.

Ferguson is an absolute dweeb but I think, assuming injury has fully healed, he's going to absolutely wreck Pettis. The sort of comeback Pettis needs to even be in the mix at the top of the lightweight division just doesn't happen in combat sports.

Don't have a clue how the main event goes. I'll go McGregor KO in the second but Khabib could easily maul him for all five rounds and win widely on points. Could TKO him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Heart says Conor, but the head says khabib stops him and totally shuts him down if im honest.

It wouldn't shock me if it goes something like DC vs Anthony Johnson or even Miocic vs Ngannou.

But I'm really hoping I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ChrisM

Heart says Conor, but the head says khabib stops him and totally shuts him down if im honest.

It wouldn't shock me if it goes something like DC vs Anthony Johnson or even Miocic vs Ngannou.

But I'm really hoping I'm wrong.

I think most of us are with you on that.

I always liked Khabib but his Allah/God thanking has no place in sports ( I feel the same about KT), neither does some of McGs more heated material.
    Neither of them are humble and for that reason I'd love to see an all out war where they can't help but overcome the beef and shake hands after 5 rounds of back/forth while Bruce reads out the decision.....Draw!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Perry12

McGregor by Sub
    Can’t see this going past 2 rounds. McGregor will go to the body with kicks and then spark him with the left, in my opinion.

Khabib has no head movement and when he does get hit he starts swinging wildly in response. I see it going similar to the Alvarez fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Perry12 wrote: »
    Can’t see this going past 2 rounds. McGregor will go to the body with kicks and then spark him with the left, in my opinion.

Khabib has no head movement and when he does get hit he starts swinging wildly in response. I see it going similar to the Alvarez fight

Not sure about the kicks. Giving Khabib a leg wouldn't be the wisest.

Hope you're right though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,657 ✭✭✭✭walshb

McGregor by Sub
    Axwell wrote: »

Were they the official weights? Or ceremonial...

Reason I ask is Khabib down as 155. He must have had 3 lbs on him getting on the scales..

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

McGregor by Sub

If conor throws any kick you can bet your granny khabib will catch his calf or will shoot and tie him up. It will have the same affect as the tired laboured strike he threw against nate and gave up his back in the proocess only worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

McGregor by Sub
    walshb wrote: »

Reason I ask is Khabib down as 155. He must have had 3 lbs on him getting on the scales..

Ceremonial. He can be over the limit once official weight he met the limit. He was first in id imagine he would of rehydrated had a nice meal and chilled after the cut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

All ceremony, real weigh ins were about 7 hours earlier, they had dehydrated at this stage. Some emaciated fighters during real thing. Ferguson was scary looking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Yeah they were ceremonial, the official weigh ins were hours earlier. I'd say he'd already piled on a good few pounds since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    The poll above has Conor McGregory winning at 63%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    parc wrote: »

Barbosa had a 75 inch reach and Khabib had a 70 inch reach. How did that go??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

what time do we estimate this will start ?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Perry12

McGregor by Sub
    Commanchie wrote: »

If conor throws any kick you can bet your granny khabib will catch his calf or will shoot and tie him up. It will have the same affect as the tired laboured strike he threw against nate and gave up his back in the proocess only worse.

I know it’s dangerous but he used the stabbing kick against Mendes to good effect. Mendes only caught one iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Barboza has no sting to his punches, he relies on kicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Draw
    Mcgregor also had an 8 inch reach advantage over Mendes and it didnt stop him getting him to the ground either :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor by Sub
    His wrestling coach Sergey said that Conor's knee kept popping out during single legs in camp and they trained to give up the takedown instead of fighting it too hard and work from the bottom. I knew the injury had a big effect on him that fight but good to hear from Sergey about it.

It's a bit mad how everyone dismisses Conors wrestling from the Chad fight when he had a bad knee injury.

Saying that, I'm sure Khabib will take him down (probably multiple times) but the Chad fight isn't the best example of TDD even though it's the closest comparison you can make.

http://severemma.com/2018/10/conor-mcgregors-wrestling-coach-sergey-pikulskiy-talks-mcgregors-grappling-ahead-of-ufc-229/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Considering Barboza is known for being primarily a kicker, I don't see how this is anyway relevant?
    Khabib knew to pressure Barboza, to crowd him so he didn't have space to start throwing kicks.
    He tries that with Conor and he'll regret it, a lot.

He's not going to stop every take down, but he won't be helpless either, he'll stuff a good few I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

McGregor by Sub
    And if/when he gets taken down, he's by no means useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've given the s one a lot of thought. A few months ago I would have said Khabib grapples the life of our mMcGregor for 5. But not so sure about that after watching back fights, analysis, etc.
    I think people in general are way over simplifying this fight. "If Khabib gets the takedown..." "If Conor connects..." blah blah blah. It's way more complex than that. Khabib takes lands a lot of takedowns. Either through standing up or the round ending. His opponents get to their feet a lot too. One takedown isn't going to be game over.
    Similarly, McGregor may have starched Aldo and Poirier early. It's not a formality once he connects. Look at Diaz.
    I find that parallel interesting as in both cases, as the fight goes on, both Khabib's takedowns and McGregors strikes will lose their pop. But also because the take downs and the power left are not either guys main asset.
    Khabibs shooting takedown are the relatively weaker part of his game. Against Al he had one or two particular hopeful shots from range. But where he excels, is in the clinch and against the cage. Upper body control, dragging or throwing his opponent to the ground. Once on the mat guys are drowning. That's his game.
    McGregor, same story. People always talk about the power in the left. They are wrong imo. He told us this himself "precision beats power...". Conor is the precision in that quip. He wins because he hits the mark repeatedly. Lighting people up. Look at the final knockdown in the Alvarez fight. Eddies threw one, Conor hit him 4 times in about a second. That's his game.
    The interesting part, the way they each implement their have is a version of the same thing. Khabib walks straight ahead into clinch range, where he wants to be. Forcing guys to move away, and away until that are one the cage. They can't move away. Drowning. Conor stays at distance peppering then with shots, if they come into the pocket he counters, so they back into space, Conor presses and eventually that are on the cage (Brandao, Mendes, Diaz). Getting lit up.
    That's where this fight is decided, who can dictate the range the most. And who puts the other person on the cage. Initially I thought Khabib would find success walking McGregor down, controlling both range and cage. But looking back at Conor's fights. He moves lateral well. If he does that, they'll circle the octagon rather than retreat to the cage. The longer he spends in his range the more he scores. If Khabib charges in to close the distance, we have to consider McGregor countering. Running into a punch is gonna do more damage.

Incredible close fight for me. Honestly not sure who takes it. Going to side with McGregor TKO/KO late in the 3rd or the 4th. Partially motivated by the huge odds. ;)

McGregor by Decision
    Conor will surprise everyone tonight and pull off a sub :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Mcgregor also had an 8 inch reach advantage over Mendes and it didnt stop him getting him to the ground either :cool:

True. But McGregor was basically on one leg for that fight, and Mendes is an incredibly explosive wrestler. I remember thinking how tired he looked before that fight even began. But that didn't stop him getting up repeatedly and knocking Chad out.

I reckon Conors take down defence is significantly better now (quite a few analysts think this part of his game is really underrated). Plus I think he will be a lot stronger with better cardio at 155 than 145, which he basically had to kill himself to get to.

Nonetheless that doesn't mean he wont be taken down. I expect him to get taken down and beaten up. Its just a question of whether he can survive long enough to land sufficient shots that would stop the fight. Khabib has a good chin which he relies on a lot, but his head movement is non existent. A few times I watched him almost freeze when his opponent is hitting him, as if he doesnt know wtf to do. I genuinely think McGregor has a real chance of stopping him, even though the odds would favour Khabib on balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Draw
    mangobob wrote: »
    True. But McGregor was basically on one leg for that fight, and Mendes is an incredibly explosive wrestler. I remember thinking how tired he looked before that fight even began. But that didn't stop him getting up repeatedly and knocking Chad out.

I reckon Conors take down defence is significantly better now (quite a few analysts think this part of his game is really underrated). Plus I think he will be a lot stronger with better cardio at 155 than 145, which he basically had to kill himself to get to.

Nonetheless that doesn't mean he wont be taken down. I expect him to get taken down and beaten up. Its just a question of whether he can survive long enough to land sufficient shots that would stop the fight. Khabib has a good chin which he relies on a lot, but his head movement is non existent. A few times I watched him almost freeze when his opponent is hitting him, as if he doesnt know wtf to do. I genuinely think McGregor has a real chance of stopping him, even though the odds would favour Khabib on balance.
    I think he will figure out a way to get him to the ground as did Mendes.
    He will be well aware of Mcgregors striking threat and be more cautious than usual in the first round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Nurmagomedov by Decision
    Hope the mcgregor nuthuggers enjoy their serving of bangers and smesh tonight. :)

Mod:Banned till tomorrow - I made myself quite clear in the first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Hope the mcgregor nuthuggers enjoy their serving of bangers and smesh tonight. :)

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

McGregor by Sub
    I agree with you Mellor, it's a toss up. I remember watching Khabib destroy Johnson and at that time my actual words were 'Pray for Conor' because I believed it was likely he would do the same to McGregor.

The more you look into it the more you realise how even it is. I can honestly see any outcome bring possible, and I mean any. I probably have it 55/45 in Conor's favor and that's just because every round starts on the feet.

Personally I hope Conor wins. While I hate a lot of his non MMA persona, I love what he brings to the sport as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Nurmagomedov by Decision

Have to say I'm am officially buzzing after watching that and it's still about 16hrs till fight time :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement