Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

• 11-02-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Hi all, with all the doom and gloom about and shops and business's closing is there any hope for the people of waterford? is there anything to cheer us up in the way of positive news or jobs coming or anything that would make people cheer up a bit?

I heard on WLR that theres suppose to be a major jobs announcement soon for waterford, theres also that plant that got planning permission in belview(although that is technically in Kilkenny)

Is there any other news that people can share to give hope for others?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I have heard of amajor announcement due this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Chiparus wrote: »
    I have heard of amajor announcement due this month.

You have heard of it? or heard there will be? i think thats the same thing ive been hearing on WLR lately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Dairy and food ingredients group Glanbia has been granted planning permission for a €200m milk processing plant at Belview Port

which is expected to employ 400 people during construction and more than 100 full-time staff upon completion.

Even though the Port of Waterford is in Kilkenny , it needs to get rid of its present management structure , and actively pursue the business that it has lost to Dublin Port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭decies

The days are getting longer is the best I can do am afraid .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Heard that Richard Bruton is in Waterford today, so assume there'll be a decent jobs announcement.

• Advertisement

You have heard of it? or heard there will be? i think thats the same thing ive been hearing on WLR lately!

talked to one of the head honchos at the facility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Shared needles and unprotected sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Shared needles and unprotected sex.
    Strangest job announcement I heard in a while....but at least its something.One thing we all need is the production of Aids babies to increase in this country.We're falling behind every where else at the moment.Lets hope the begrudgers get behind this great news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Genzyme have announce plans to expand the Waterford facility according to Liz Reddy on twitter, thats good!

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Genzyme have announce plans to expand the Waterford facility according to Liz Reddy on twitter, thats good!

Anybody know what Genzyme make exactly?

I also heard that Bausch and Lomb are taking on soon.

• Advertisement

Anybody know what Genzyme make exactly?

I also heard that Bausch and Lomb are taking on soon.

Very expensive drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

The rain is getting warmer so summer is getting closer.

That's the best I could do.

http://www.independent.ie/business/pharmacy-firm-announces-44m-investment-29066214.html

amazing RTE have not picked this up..... they picked up the 200 new jobs in Belfast though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

O Riain wrote: »
    Not a single job to be created with that investment.

hmmm , 44 million invested in a Waterford plant, and not a single job created, ........bit of a chalange there.... and who said Waterford had a negative attitude?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Full press release from the Department:
    http://www.djei.ie/press/2013/20130212.htm
    Not a single job to be created with that investment.
    How do you know? Surely if they are investing €44m then more jobs would be created, or at least existing jobs would be secured.

But I think you could be right because there is absolutely no detail on what the investment is actually for, nor is there any mention of the number of jobs to be created. Surely if jobs were being created or money was being spent on building new facilities then they would mention it in the press release. Where is the €44m going exactly?

This is positive news all the same.

hmmm , 44 million invested in a Waterford plant, and not a single job created, ........bit of a chalange there.... and who said Waterford had a negative attitude?

Oh I'm sorry I should get my facts right, hold on Ill just read the report now and get a figure.. oh yeah that's right not a mention of one single job in the report.

Oh I'm sorry I should get my facts right, hold on Ill just read the report now and get a figure.. oh yeah that's right not a mention of one single job in the report.

Clearly a bad news story..... :)

Clearly a bad news story..... :)

Well I dont think its appropriate for the minister to come down to Waterford City who he is utterly failing and parade around in front of the media trying to sell us a story that yes is good news for securing Genzymes future in Waterford but will not result in one single new job. Unless the minster can come down and announce a significant large jobs announcement for Waterford he is not welcome here.

Well I dont think its appropriate for the minister to come down to Waterford City who he is utterly failing and parade around in front of the media trying to sell us a story that yes is good news for securing Genzymes future in Waterford but will not result in one single new job. Unless the minster can come down and announce a significant large jobs announcement for Waterford he is not welcome here.

Man the barricades!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Positivity for the sake of positivity annoys me

I find that common in Waterford ( people annoyed by positivity)

Have to agree there was no mention of job creation this time around, they also said there was 150 million invested in the last few years.

Eh not really going up on the scale on the positive front!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

I'd say you're great fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

the viking triangle continues to develop and look great with announcements of what further works will be done over next year, public art etc.
    Looks like they started work on the old reg bar.
    2 new shops going into where ELC and Next used to be, jane norman and edinburgh woolen mills.
    genzyme is thriving in Waterford.
    the weather is improving, getting brighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Motivator wrote: »
    I'd say you're great fun.

So you dont agree that the Minister for Enterprise is failing Waterford City? Am I suppose to say he is doing a great job when we have almost 20% unemployment in the South East?

So you dont agree that the Minister for Enterprise is failing Waterford City? Am I suppose to say he is doing a great job when we have almost 20% unemployment in the South East?

Actually I find some of the people of Waterford are more than capable of doing it on their own.

Actually I find some of the people of Waterford are more than capable of doing it on their own.

Some people(as in me) are failing Waterford City? How do you reckon that one.

• Advertisement

Some people(as in me) are failing Waterford City? How do you reckon that one.

Look at the reasons why B&Q are pulling out of Ireland. Huge rent rates crippled Waterford's branch & the land owner has a lot to answer for in my opinion. Also look at TKMaxx in the same complex, look at the reasons why they were pulled out of their original unit. So called "great" people of Waterford lodged an objection & TKMaxx was pulled out of their unit resulting in plenty of job losses. Before you go bashing Richard Bruton perhaps you should look closer to home to find the real problems.

i suppose the attitude that the minister is not welcome in Waterford, unless he is bringing jobs, well if i was the minister i would tell you where to go.

Waterford has such a negative gbegrudging attitude - it really is unbelievable that a minister comes here to announce a sizeable investment and because he does not give an exact figure on jobs - he can take a jump?

unbelieveable attitude here.

i suppose the attitude that the minister is not welcome in Waterford, unless he is bringing jobs, well if i was the minister i would tell you where to go.

Waterford has such a negative gbegrudging attitude - it really is unbelievable that a minister comes here to announce a sizeable investment and because he does not give an exact figure on jobs - he can take a jump?

Hard to argue with any of that. Something I do find funny though is that the same people who praise Martin Cullen will knock and bash every other minister for not doing anything for Waterford. Cullen did nothing but gets praised for "putting Waterford on the map". Hilarious.

Motivator wrote: »
    Hard to argue with any of that. Something I do find funny though is that the same people who praise Martin Cullen will knock and bash every other minister for not doing anything for Waterford. Cullen did nothing but gets praised for "putting Waterford on the map". Hilarious.

I will never praise Cullen it was during his time as a minister that Waterford fell behind. If he had gotten us the University I would be singing his praises but he didnt. As for Richard Bruton not being welcome, we are so far behind in job creation in comparison to other cities it is ridiculous at this stage and the Government have a lot to play in that. If companies are not willing to invest here then give them incentives to do so, dont let us die a lonely death down here! As for the TK Maxx issue above, if TK Maxx had of left completely I may agree with you but the fact of the matter is they are where they belong, in the city centre. I agree the store is not as good as what it was out in the retail park but they were breaking the rules by being out there, they knew this and still went ahead with setting up a shop. City Council cant be blamed for them breaking the rules.

Edit: The rents problem is an issue all over Ireland not just Waterford

I will never praise Cullen it was during his time as a minister that Waterford fell behind. If he had gotten us the University I would be singing his praises but he didnt. As for Richard Bruton not being welcome, we are so far behind in job creation in comparison to other cities it is ridiculous at this stage and the Government have a lot to play in that. If companies are not willing to invest here then give them incentives to do so, dont let us die a lonely death down here! As for the TK Maxx issue above, if TK Maxx had of left completely I may agree with you but the fact of the matter is they are where they belong, in the city centre. I agree the store is not as good as what it was out in the retail park but they were breaking the rules by being out there, they knew this and still went ahead with setting up a shop. City Council cant be blamed for them breaking the rules.

Edit: The rents problem is an issue all over Ireland not just Waterford

I'm glad we can agree over Cullen, unbelievable the fact that he's still being praised by some backward people in this city. I won't go as far as to praise Bruton but I won't slate him either, Waterford is a black hole & has been since before he came into his role.

TKMaxx was not a city council objection, an objection was filed by a few people who were told that if their objection was lodged it would eventually kill B&Q, Harvey Norman and Halfords. The knock on effects are only being realised now and ask anyone in the town, TKMaxx is in the wrong place now. I know of people who refuse to give the shop any business because of the location it is now in. In their old unit there was any amount of parking, a few different shops for people to browse in and there was plans to put a small cafe in the complex but once the objection was made and the unit was pulled it was only a matter of time before things went pear shaped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Outer Ring Road
    M9
    City ByPass

Love him or hate him you are just downright stupid if you cannot see what he did bring to Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

For clarity on the Genzyme issue , they are renovating the Middle plant which apparently has about a ten year lifespan, so they are doing it up, there will be quite a few construction jobs and spin off business in the locality, not to be sniffed at, and i would imagine there will be jobs in two years time when the plant is up and running again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Bards

Is he giving Genzyme the €44 million out of his own pocket, what is his personal involvement in this project.

Would it have happened without him?

sounds like just another photo-op for a minister to get his Picture in the local papers without doing any actual real work but at the same time giving the impression to the sheeple that he is performing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Max Powers wrote: »
    2 new shops going into where ELC and Next used to be, jane norman and edinburgh woolen mills.

Odd move for Edinburgh Woolen Mills to move in there. But good to have the empty units being filled up again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Guys this is supposed to be a positive thread, can we please keep in that way and not drag it into the usual type of negativity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bards wrote: »
    Is he giving Genzyme the €44 million out of his own pocket, what is his personal involvement in this project.

sounds like just another photo-op for a minister to get his Picture in the local papers without doing any actual real work but at the same time giving the impression to the sheeple that he is performing

You post that is if it were new or unique. Its what all minsters do at every available opportunity.

Lets be happy a major employer are spending money on a plant building for a successful product, rather than closing it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Positives = some good looking Polish ladies around nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭dzilla

Philly Grimes has Dungarvan on cask

Cabaal wrote: »
    Guys this is supposed to be a positive thread, can we please keep in that way and not drag it into the usual type of negativity

Hello , this is Waterford.

Bards wrote: »

No but there would be sizable IDA grants, I possibly would have happened without him.

We need to have ministers on our side - not the usual begrudegery that puts people off waterford.

mozattack wrote: »
    Positives = some good looking Polish ladies around nowadays

Its only our polish that are the good looking ones;) they dont look like theyve been tango'd:eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

off topic posts deleted

Guys, keep the thread on topic or start your own negative thread.
    Any further off topic negative posts will be deleted also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Finance Bill gives tax relief to Waterford City (and Limerick). from RTE
    The Local Property Tax is to be amended to exclude any increase in value due to modifications to a home to enhance access for a person with a disability.

The amendment is one of a number of modifications to the property tax contained in the Finance Bill, published today by the Minister for Finance Michael Noonan.

There are a number of new measures in the bill, which also seeks to give legislative force to the measures introduced in December's budget.

Included in the bill is a tax break to encourage owner occupiers to renovate Georgian homes.

The scheme, which will be launched on a pilot basis in Waterford and Limerick, allows home owners write off the cost of renovation against income tax. The scheme will not be open to developers or investors. There will also be restrictions for high earners.

Small crumbs admittedly.

Can we not rustle up a bit more positivty for waterford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Spent the day in City Square / City centre , and did'nt see much positivity around .

A stranger at the ATM remarked to me about the shame to see the hotel on the hill closed .

As I looked over at the Hotel , I saw a '' to let '' sign at the corner where Halifax used to be .

Seems to be a lot of pessimism out there at the moment .

Anyway , I gave Barratts €60 and my other half gave €20 to Penneys , so ' every little helps '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Was in the Lisduggan Shopping Centre today for the first time since Dealz went out there, couldn't believe how busy the place was! I'm not in there that often but would have been a regular in the place a few years ago and the place was buzzing like I haven't seen in years! Where else would 3 butchers co-exist in such close proximity I wonder! Great to see!

• Advertisement
Advertisement