Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 saor97

01 881 5709 this is a direct line of someone I have spoken to in there about fe1s before

got through with this number, she was very helpful thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Healyjhow wrote: »
    Just got my letter, Neptune in cork? Anyone else ?

Yeah! Me too! 9.30-12.30!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

saor97 wrote: »
    Panicing, got letter this morning but it just has my results from March, nothing about the exam next week or anything even though I got the confirmation email back at the end of May to say I was registered. Can't seem to get through to anyone in the FE1 section or the law society to find out whats going on

I am the exact same. My March results and weird letter with part 12 added rules. Letter dated 5th August and no mention of me sitting an exam next week.

Healyjhow wrote: »
    I’m H!

I’m H and I’m rochestown!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Aoibhin511 wrote: »
    Also got a bizarre letter from them today saying that I didn't pass the Tort exam in March because I was absent... like yeah no **** guys you cancelled it.

Omg please I'm in physical pain laughing, the Training unit at work is still on to me for never submitting any formal results and I'm like.... I never got them??? Hope my letter shows up anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Finally got my email there. Is the seat number the same as your exam number? The letter refers to them as the same number? Just want to be certain not to mess up the easiest part of the exam ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

This may be a bit of a trivial question, but on the day do people generally plan their answers on the actual exam page or in your answer booklet and then indicate that it's just a plan and stroke it out? Like a quick spider diagram for an essay.

I'm an FE1 newcomer and I have just noted from a few examiners reports (think it was the EU examiner who has mentioned this twice) that handwriting and presentation is obvs important. Don't want to get on his bad side for no reason!

In past UNI exams I would have done a quick plan in the actual answer booklet and then stroked it out, as I find theres not enough space on the Exam page.

I should be studying yet I'm procrastinating with this kind of stuff... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 yipyop

Hey, if anyone has any recent sample answers for Tort and/or EU I have some really useful revision guides!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    This may be a bit of a trivial question, but on the day do people generally plan their answers on the actual exam page or in your answer booklet and then indicate that it's just a plan and stroke it out? Like a quick spider diagram for an essay.

I'm an FE1 newcomer and I have just noted from a few examiners reports (think it was the EU examiner who has mentioned this twice) that handwriting and presentation is obvs important. Don't want to get on his bad side for no reason!

In past UNI exams I would have done a quick plan in the actual answer booklet and then stroked it out, as I find theres not enough space on the Exam page.

I should be studying yet I'm procrastinating with this kind of stuff... :D

I've done both in the past. In a few exams I just wrote out all the cases around the question on the exam paper. In others I have used the page before each question to write out cases and write Rough Work at the top or something like that. As long as your actual answer is presented well you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

I've done both in the past. In a few exams I just wrote out all the cases around the question on the exam paper. In others I have used the page before each question to write out cases and write Rough Work at the top or something like that. As long as your actually answer is presented well you should be fine

Cheers for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭L.E.D

Iso_123 wrote: »
    I was registered to take the exam in March and I am in the RDS! Which is very annoying because I live in North Dublin so I'm way closer to croke park:confused:

I'm the exact same! I could walk from my house to croke park, but I've to go to the RDS, I'm just wondering why nobody checked this, stressful enough, would save so much travel time and also wouldn't have to use public transport!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

For tort

Does anybody have any notes on the Public Authority Liability topic by any chance? My manual is absolutely awful for the chapter and I can't make head nor tail of it!

I can swap notes for any other topic! Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭godfather2

Do you know if your letter says you start at 10 or does it still say 9.30? Just wondering do you know your start time from the letter or has everyone been told 9.30?

Not had sight of a letter yet, told over the phone 10am start, be there for 9:30 in your seat. If letter arives I'll update here.

Anyone else only covering Art 101/102 and Mergers for competition? State Aid is a massive section and came up last sitting so I'm really wanting to leave it out

• Registered Users Posts: 34 baloo21

Does anyone have EU sample answer for March 2019? Or March 2017? Can send over March 2020 EU paper in return!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Lawofattracti

Does anyone have tort sample answers, would really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

EU

On the Institutions Q, are ppl including much if any case law?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

No, just the role/ structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

Just got letter saying I failed tort because I was absent. Extremely unnerving to receive this a few days before sitting the actual exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

Louis Litt wrote: »
    EU

On the Institutions Q, are ppl including much if any case law?

I only have the Creeson case regarding Commissioners independence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

EU

when you guys are saying you're covering Equality, what exactly are you covering?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

Just got letter saying I failed tort because I was absent. Extremely unnerving to receive this a few days before sitting the actual exam.

Cambridge dictionary: absent = not in the place where you are expected to be, especially at school or work.

How on earth could they say that you were "absent" from an event you were told was cancelled and not to go to? That's beyond silly and a contradiction at it's finest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Fe1student1234

lawgrad15 wrote: »
    Cambridge dictionary: absent = not in the place where you are expected to be, especially at school or work.

How on earth could they say that you were "absent" from an event you were told was cancelled and not to go to? That's beyond silly and a contradiction at it's finest.

If I get the same letter I’ll be asking for a different one to say they cancelled the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

DUMSURFER wrote: »
    Does anyone have the Tort paper and Examiner Report from October 2019?

Also if anyone has sample answers for it, I'd be eternally grateful!

Can send back anything anyone needs as well.

Still in desperate need of the October 2019 Exam & Examiners Report, if anyone can help?

Anyone have any predictions for the Case note Q for EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Anyone have any predictions for the Case note Q for EU?

I’m wondering the same! Any cases due a run? Or due a break?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Booker4

DUMSURFER wrote: »
    Still in desperate need of the October 2019 Exam & Examiners Report, if anyone can help?

I do - send me your email

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CiaranS93

Hi guy,

Anyone have the Q's that came up for EU in March?

Presume it was:

FMG
    Direct Effect and MS Liability
    Citizenship
    Institutions or General Principles
    Judicial Review
    Competition

What other topics came up? The above is just based on what usually comes up every year

• Registered Users Posts: 33 LJones18

March Sitting 2020 for EU

1) General Principles
    2) Institutions - (Post Lisbon, Democratic Deficit)
    3) Direct Effect (no Member state liability)
    4)Judicial Review
    5)FMOG (MEQR's, Art 34 & 36)
    6)FMOW and Citizenship
    7) Case Note
    8) Competitiion Law (Art 106, Art 101 & 102)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭20082014

TORT

Hi guys,

I have a 2019-2020 manual so I am trying to find any noteworthy cases that have been recent.

so far I have:

UCC v ESB SC decision
    Green v Hardiman
    Various Clamiants v Barclays Bank - SC decision
    Various Claimants v WM Morrison Supermarkets - SC decision
    Morrissey v HSE - SC decision

Is there anything else I should add?

Am I right in saying that the SC in Morrissey confirmed the cap on general damages to be 500,000? And that the cap applies if you are seeking general damages along with other types of damages (special, aggravated etc.) but that the cap does not apply if you are mainly getting or solely getting general damages?

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jcarroll9

Hi guys! Its my first round and I just have a quick q.

My letter arrived this morning at home but I am currently in Dublin. My mom has scanned me a copy and posted it up to me. If I don't have the original by Tuesday do you think that will be an issue?

Its dated the 4th and apparently only postmarked the 5th which is annoying- they haven't left much room for error!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

Not having the letter is not an issue,once you go to the correct centre. You will just have to report to their information desk before the exam with ID in order to get your exam number.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

jcarroll9 wrote: »
    Hi guys! Its my first round and I just have a quick q.

My letter arrived this morning at home but I am currently in Dublin. My mom has scanned me a copy and posted it up to me. If I don't have the original by Tuesday do you think that will be an issue?

Its dated the 4th and apparently only postmarked the 5th which is annoying- they haven't left much room for error!

Thanks.
    vid36 wrote: »
    Not having the letter is not an issue,once you go to the correct centre. You will just have to report to their information desk before the exam with ID in order to get your exam number.

You'll probably be grand, but I would bring the scan copy anyway, they can be incredibly obtuse sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

You might want to check your emails, looks like the Law Society are staggering certain starting times for the exams.

Also, @iamanegine: for any other paper I would have said "yeah there's no way state aid can come up" but just because this isn't part of the October/March sittings duality, I would say he isn't going based on pattern recognition at all. If you're doing Competition Law, I think it's worth doing State Aid too.

You might want to check your emails, looks like the Law Society are staggering certain starting times for the exams.

Also, @iamanegine: for any other paper I would have said "yeah there's no way state aid can come up" but just because this isn't part of the October/March sittings duality, I would say he isn't going based on pattern recognition at all. If you're doing Competition Law, I think it's worth doing State Aid too.

I was thinking something similar, the paper could easily be the exact same topics as the previous paper, impossible to know how the examiner approached it.

As an aside, my current mental state is going like this -
    I'M SO SCREWED OMG I KNOW NOTHING.
    5 mins later
    I'm actually in a good spot for these exams I think I should be fine.
    5 mins later
    I'M SO SCREWED OMG I KNOW NOTHING

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 mcgreee

Does anyone have a brief breakdown of Morrissey v HSE and what it means for Professional Negligence? Thanks a mill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭ahhhhhFE1s

mcgreee wrote: »
    Does anyone have a brief breakdown of Morrissey v HSE and what it means for Professional Negligence? Thanks a mill

https://www.fieldfisher.com/en-ie/locations/ireland/ireland-blog/supreme-court-reaffirms-the-principles-to-be-appli

Pretty good summary if you skip down to the Supreme Court part

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

Very stressed now that this could be cancelled - restrictions back for Offaly Kildare and Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Hiya1234

Could just mean no one from those counties can sit the exam but the rest of us might be ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BlackhallPlz

Hiya1234 wrote: »
    Could just mean no one from those counties can sit the exam but the rest of us might be ok...

Hopefully.. seems like they’re now relying on students who might lose a place in blackhall to do the responsible thing and not turn up to the exam. Very very unfair on those from the 3 counties

• Advertisement

They are gunna push through with the exams at all costs I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

95% sure they will go ahead still but could have saved everyone this headache, including themselves, by moving them online weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

Very stressed now that this could be cancelled - restrictions back for Offaly Kildare and Laois.

Same but I think it is more likely for EU on Thursday. Not sure there will be enough time to make a decision re Tuesday and Tort.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Lawofattracti

spygirl wrote: »
    Same but I think it is more likely for EU on Thursday. Not sure there will be enough time to make a decision re Tuesday and Tort.

Think you're forgetting it was cancelled the day before last time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

last time they cancelled tort at 1pm on the day before...

I think if they cancel one they’ll cancel both last thing they’d want is a cluster because of them

Depends on the number of case over the weekend 98 today

Extremely unfair to expect students from just 3 counties not to attend?

This is like Groundhog Day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bask453

Anyone else feel like the Law Society are treading a fine line in pushing ahead with these exams, there will be some scandal if an outbreak is traced back to one of the sittings, especially when literally every other professional exam has been moved to an online format, it's not like they didn't have time to prepare...

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

Think you're forgetting it was cancelled the day before last time!!

Oh I remember believe me, starting to feel a bit cursed regarding these exams. October personal disaster (small one in grand scheme of things in fairness), March Covid, Now August ... who knows.i

Was a bit concerned sitting them at all last week, got over it now who knows.

Whats a good career path these days? Bootlegger, Drug dealer (mild ones, if these are cancelled again no genuine suggestions discounted.

Extremely unfair to expect students from just 3 counties not to attend?

This is like Groundhog Day!

I don’t believe that the students from there won’t be able to sit them if they do go ahead. You can travel for work if necessary. If they go ahead I don’t think anyone would stop them sitting it unless the student themselves decided against it

But we probably won’t know until Monday what the plan is so best bet is to keep pushing ahead and ignoring speculation because it just gets you worked up and distracted! So that’s what I’m going to try do 😅

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement