Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula E - Gen.2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭jv2000

Formula E is back in August, I did not expect this! 6 races in 8 days and this will close out the season. All races will be held in Berlin at Tempelhof Airport. Whilst they say there will be different track layouts I cannot get excited about this. I always found this circuit to be aesthetically boring although some of the races in the past were good. I completely understand why they are using this location but this feels like a gimmick to kill off the season....

https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2020/june/berlin-announcement?utm_campaign=1441686_SEASON%206%20-%20RESTART%20-%20ENGLISH&utm_medium=email&utm_source=FORMULA%20E%20OPERATIONS%20LIMITED&dm_i=4H56,UWEU,1VAEXL,3S0RH,1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Harika

To spice it up put different airplanes in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ye that sounds a bit boring. Its not even a real racetrack. Why could they not have found a real race course where they could have done this like Silverstone or Bahrain where they have multiple track combinations already?
    Will these all be aired live I wonder? I also wonder what all the drivers thing of this?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Looks like Audi DTM driver Rene Rast is taking Daniel Abts seat for the rest of the season.

8 races in Berlin may not be the most exciting prospect but hallelujah, we have real cars on track again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's the easiest way out for them. They already have the use of the grounds, it's easy to close off to the public, they can just finish the season.
    I'd love if they could set it up so that each track is raced clock wise on one day and anti clock wise on the next day.

• Advertisement
    Ms

flazio wrote: »
    It's the easiest way out for them. They already have the use of the grounds, it's easy to close off to the public, they can just finish the season.
    I'd love if they could set it up so that each track is raced clock wise on one day and anti clock wise on the next day.

I don't see why they can not. I would like to see F1 do that too. The track there is modular so all they have to do is change it around a bit for each race.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The reason F1 can't is because barriers, run offs and more importantly grandstands would have been built with the intention that the cars are travelling in one particular direction.

Ms

The reason F1 can't is because barriers, run offs and more importantly grandstands would have been built with the intention that the cars are travelling in one particular direction.

All very good points.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Harika

https://www.f1-fansite.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Red-Bull-Ring-layout-2018.jpg

If you look at the red bull ring there it becomes obvious why it's not working. Turn 1,2,3 would not work without extensive rework.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Alex Lynn replaces Wehrlein.

• Advertisement
    Ms

pjohnson wrote: »
    Alex Lynn replaces Wehrlein.

Awe but after looking at that I think the biggest problem would be the pits.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Turns out Daniel Abts Formula E career isn't over. He replaces Ma at NIO for the end of the season.

Sam Bird will replace Calado at Jaguar next year.

Nick Cassidy expected to take over the Virgin seat.

https://twitter.com/FIAFormulaE/status/1285613041246040065?s=19

So, a reverse track is happening first weekend, then the traditional layout before finishing on a revised infield.

And Sette Camara replacing Hartley at Dragon.

Ms

https://twitter.com/FIAFormulaE/status/1285613041246040065?s=19

So, a reverse track is happening first weekend, then the traditional layout before finishing on a revised infield.

Very interesting that. At least there will be a bit of variety. It had originally said 6 races over 8 days but this is 6 races over 9 days. I wonder do will these all be televised, who will get them and how many of them will be live?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

And another late change. Its confirmed James Calado WONT take part in all 6 Berlin races and miss at least the last two due to a clash with WEC.

Other FE drivers affected by the clash (Buemi, da Costa, Lynn) are expected currently to complete the FE season as a priority.

Rumours now that Calado may actually opt to miss more or even all FE races to focus entirely on WEC as he already knows his Formula E career is over as he already has no seat for next year.

Ms

I see that the race round 6 is live on Virgin Three from 17.30.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Great to see a bit of live motorsports on Saorview. And a bit of decent Motorsport as well.

Ms

Next race is today Thursday at 17. 30. Round 7.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Yesterday's race had a very exciting finish, just about every driver had to coast over the line with 0% usable energy. I would expect that today the leaders will attempt to slow the pace a little so that there is at least one less lap at the end.

Just saw that Da Costa is on pole again, if he wins today then I don't know who will catch him, he has a good lead in the championship after yesterday and his closest championship rival Mitch Evans starts today in 17th!!

jv2000 wrote: »
    Just saw that Da Costa is on pole again, if he wins today then I don't know who will catch him

Ouch... 68 point lead with 4 races left. Great drive by Da Costa but his rivals are tripping over each other. A third consecutive drivers title for Techeetah on the cards and looks like it could be a second constructors title for them, very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Don't forget there's another race on at 18:00 this evening! JEV on pole with DaCosta behind in second.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Having to watch on Virgin Media Three for reasons. Picture quality is so bad I can barely make out the drivers name/times on the left of the screen.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Having to watch on Virgin Media Three for reasons. Picture quality is so bad I can barely make out the drivers name/times on the left of the screen.

Not have HD I assume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

antodeco wrote: »
    Not have HD I assume?

Not in hd on saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

antodeco wrote: »
    Not have HD I assume?
    Would normally watch it on BBC but this ones on the iplayer.
    Still charging a premium for HD in 2020 is just a scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Would normally watch it on BBC but this ones on the iplayer.
    Still charging a premium for HD in 2020 is just a scam.

I'm Virgin medias case they're penny pinching refusing to pay for hd carriage on saorview, this has been the way since TV3 days. It's poor quality, not only is it SD but it's a low bitrate, blocky

Ms

The first few of these races were ok but today's was just a borefest. Yes they are all close together but what's the point if no one is passing and yes there was some but nothing great. I actually think yesterdays Saturdays race was the best one so far. The next two races are going to be interesting on the extended track. Will that mean less laps I wonder.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Quali was a glorious shitshow, only Guenther and Evans were able to set laptimes in the first quali group as all 4 previous champions squabbled for position Monza 2019-style and crossed the line too late to set a laptime. :pac:

Advertisement