Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diesel pumps, riverside Shannon

Options
  • 16-07-2020 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

I was shocked when I saw the price of diesel in a private marina in Carrick on Shannon (€1.40/litre). The staff were unapologetic when I inquired whether the pump was labelled in error.

Where do river boaters usually fuel up, apart from hand carrying 50 litre drums from a road service station? I've been well served in Rooskey, but perhaps if there's somewhere closer to Carrick.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's about that on the coast too. green diesel and cheap fuel is dead and gone.

Comparing a roadside petrol station, with all the buying powers of a large group, and a small shoreside facility with very limited quantities and likely a high cost for what modest throughput they get. Apples and oranges.

Support your local marine services supplier or one day they'll be gone and you'll be wondering why you can't get anything, anywhere local.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

All pandemic long, I've been looking at the petrol stations selling diesel for about €1.12 a litre, and was thinking, I must fill up my gerry cans (20-30l) before things get back to normal....

Well things are getting back to normal, and the price is up around €1.20 now in garages, and do you think I'd have filled by by now??? Not a chance!!

Still have a full main tank on board (25L), as well as about 10L reserve, which could just do me for the rest of the season (by the way, it's all still green as was bought last season), however might try and get away for a few days in August **if** the weather gets decent, so in that case would definitely want at least 30L in reserve..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Roadtoad wrote: »
    I was shocked when I saw the price of diesel in a private marina in Carrick on Shannon (€1.40/litre). The staff were unapologetic when I inquired whether the pump was labelled in error.

Where do river boaters usually fuel up, apart from hand carrying 50 litre drums from a road service station? I've been well served in Rooskey, but perhaps if there's somewhere closer to Carrick.

Traditionally filled up at roadside filling stations but this was before they ended the green diesel derogation. Used 2x25l drums and a ‘jiggle’ siphon, the boat only uses 1-2gal per hour so realistically 5-10hrs use so generally enough for a weekend.

Now, however, I cannot see it being worth it for just 20c per litre (€10 for 50l difference). Your boat may use more juice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Honest edit to OP:
    Its been a while since I was on the river. I didn't realise the tractor/green/red/marked diesel has had its day. Reminds me of getting soaked in Wicklow harbour years ago, where only road diesel was available.

I'll have to suck it up.

Customs & Excise: That's a reference to taking the hurt, not diving into home heating oil, right!? There are traces of the 2013 fill still in the tank and as an experienced boatie it will stay there. The bottom 1/3 is ok for cars to use, NEVER for boats.
    ]

Advertisement