Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

A total of 3.2mm rain recorded today. It's currently 15.6C. The high today was 15.9C an hour ago, the lowest high since early June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Deep peaceful silence out here... a slender moon lying on its back contemplating space..... tiny far away stars winking..... not a sound or a whisper as the world sleeps. Bliss... west mayo offshore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I heard forecasts recently saying that this week will feel 'autumnal' :confused: I only wish June and the first half of August were as warm and pleasant as today!
    19.5c and good sunny spells and obviously feeling a LOT warmer in the sun.
    23mm since the dry spell ended on Sat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I heard forecasts recently saying that this week will feel 'autumnal' :confused: I only wish June and the first half of August were as warm and pleasant as today!
    19.5c and good sunny spells and obviously feeling a LOT warmer in the sun.
    23mm since the dry spell ended on Sat.

Certainly doesn't feel 'autumnal' here. Humidty well into the 90s for over 24hrs now, high Td's and low hanging drizzle clouds with zero drying. Hard to believe we had summer like deep blues only a few days ago!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Nice day in Letterkenny, warm and calm with plenty of sunshine, far more summery than most days in the actual summer!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not a nice day here in Meath, plenty of heavy showers today and ground still very much wet. Our road is now starting to get covered with leaves, Autumn is well and truly getting going here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

tomorrow to Sunday looks horrific

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Weather in Cork City is a real mix, one of those days where you need about 20 different outfits. Heavy showers bring along some cold winds, but the sun came out earlier and was warm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    not a nice day here in Meath, plenty of heavy showers today and ground still very much wet. Our road is now starting to get covered with leaves, Autumn is well and truly getting going here.

Was dry all day here, mostly sunny to, i managed to get the garden cut, will try get the lawns out the front cut tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Probably way to early to tell... but flying from Dublin to London and London to New York on Sunday ...some saying we could be looking at wind warnings over the weekend. Would these be significant enough to cause flight issues.
    I have to be the unluckiest person when it comes to travel and the weather...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Was dry all day here, mostly sunny to, i managed to get the garden cut, will try get the lawns out the front cut tomorrow

got the lawn cut Saturday morning. Not a hope of our lawn being cut for a while now, pure squelch in our garden with so much rain over past 3 days.

got the lawn cut Saturday morning. Not a hope of our lawn being cut for a while now, pure squelch in our garden with so much rain over past 3 days.

Our garden was squelchy in 1 place which was not as bad as i taught considering the amount of rain we got since saturday, guessing because it slopes away is the reason it was dry enough to cut

A deeply peaceful night. Utter silence after some heavy showers and low cloud now. Never saw darkness as it is out here in cloudy nights. Like being blind. west mayo offshore

ground is finally starting to dry out a bit now, however I don't think this dryness is going to last very long! A mild, cloudy day here so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭highdef

ground is finally starting to dry out a bit now, however I don't think this dryness is going to last very long! A mild, cloudy day here so far.
    With solar radiation rapidly diminishing now, so too do evaporation rates. We're moving into that time of the year when one good deluge of rain can take days to recede. In about a months time, we'll have reached the stage where the ground just doesn't dry out completely unless we get an exceptionally long dry spell. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Roads and paths nearly dry in cork city now but it's meant to rain again later apperantly. Mild, cloudy day here too and also feels quite humid!

Sun is out after a cloudy and misty morning, mower is at the ready, although the bbc forecast tomorrow for us has showers from the west dying out before reaching the east coast so might get the lawns cut tomorrow if not today.

Edit: just watched ME's forecast for the next few days, after the news, there will be Sunny spells that could feel warm, showers that could merge into longer spells of rain, might be a risk of thunder to, some heavy rain at times, and feeling fresher.

Sun is out after a cloudy and misty morning, mower is at the ready, although the bbc forecast tomorrow for us has showers from the west dying out before reaching the east coast so might get the lawns cut tomorrow if not today.

Edit: just watched ME's forecast for the next few days, after the news, there will be Sunny spells that could feel warm, showers that could merge into longer spells of rain, might be a risk of thunder to, some heavy rain at times, and feeling fresher.

so......….clouds, mist, warm sunny spells, showers, spells of rain, thunder and feeling fresher (all we're missing is snow).......typical Irish weather in other words :rolleyes::rolleyes:

There was some nice sunshine here for a while a short while ago. It's all overcast now. The temperature reached 18.3C. It's falling back now. Currently 17.9C.

The wind is waking, stretching its lungs after sleeping all day... darker now after even some sunshine earlier... a bit of everything today.. We shall see what the night holds.west mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    There was some nice sunshine here for a while a short while ago. It's all overcast now. The temperature reached 18.3C. It's falling back now. Currently 17.9C.

Still a bit of sun down in Arklow, mostly cloudy with the lightest loveliest breeze
    Great to be working outside today
    Very pleasant!

so......….clouds, mist, warm sunny spells, showers, spells of rain, thunder and feeling fresher (all we're missing is snow).......typical Irish weather in other words :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yep, typical irish cover all bases weather forecast ;)

On a separate note, Cloudy, and feels a wee bit chilly in the breeze, still dry, thankfully Lawns are cut, and the garden cut again, didnt think i'd get them cut as i expected rain

Hard heavy solid rain. Dark …. snug inside! Stay dry! west mayo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

A momentous day for ME. John the Eagle Eagleton has just given his final weather forecast on RTE before his retirement. I am quite sure many tears will be shed here.

We've just had a burst of heavyish rain here. It has died off now. There was nothing recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Gone very gusty...Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

highdef wrote: »
    With solar radiation rapidly diminishing now, so too do evaporation rates. We're moving into that time of the year when one good deluge of rain can take days to recede. In about a months time, we'll have reached the stage where the ground just doesn't dry out completely unless we get an exceptionally long dry spell. :(

This. And add those remaining ghastly orange streetlights shining on it during the longer dark hours would drive one to a dark room with a bottle of whisky...

Had a trip out west today. Geez, Galway is one damp county. Drove from the city to Tooreen and crossed some low lying hills on the N83 coming into Clonfad and it was like someone flicked a switch. Roads dry and some bright/sunny spells. Checked the radar and there was nothing in the Galway region, yet moderate drizzle all along the N83 to the Roscommon border.

Meanwhile, a drop of rain pushed through here in South Laois just now. 0.6mm and that looks like being the most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Danno wrote: »
    This. And add those remaining ghastly orange streetlights shining on it during the longer dark hours would drive one to a dark room with a bottle of whisky...

Not long left for the remaining orange ones.I find the LED's are much better for driving, light up the road and little light escaping upwards.

• Advertisement

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    We've just had a burst of heavyish rain here. It has died off now. There was nothing recorded.

1.5mm now.

Not long left for the remaining orange ones.I find the LED's are much better for driving, light up the road and little light escaping upwards.
    A lot of my town has these white LEDs now. Gives a colder, darker look to the streets to be honest.

New Moon

Now that is some shot! Beautiful!

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    A lot of my town has these white LEDs now. Gives a colder, darker look to the streets to be honest.

Are they there long? Some of the newer ones are really bright, especially if they are up of a height. I see some of the orange ones being replaced and the LEDs are placed at the same height - this I think gives it a sharper dark/bright contrast. The brilliant white is a little cold though - perhaps they'll come up with a slightly warmer tone. Although it'd be savage if they switched from cool white to warm white depending on the season! :p

Oh, I look forward to seeing the snowfall at night under LED!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Some moderate gusts now in Castlebar and nearly 15mm of rain today, it looks like September will make it the 7th month in a row wetter than last year, with only January and February being drier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Lovely photo. I hate the LEDs though, they produce a very harsh light. I much prefer the 1980s style yellow sodium bulbs... far easier on the eyes and a warmer feeling to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Lovely photo. I hate the LEDs though, they produce a very harsh light. I much prefer the 1980s style yellow sodium bulbs... far easier on the eyes and a warmer feeling to them.

These(photo) were all the go from the 80s onwards. The last year here in Castlebar ,and more so in the past two months have seen most of them go over to LED.

Anyway ,im off topic. Its a dry breezy night @15 degrees

• Advertisement

Now that is some shot! Beautiful!

Are they there long? Some of the newer ones are really bright, especially if they are up of a height. I see some of the orange ones being replaced and the LEDs are placed at the same height - this I think gives it a sharper dark/bright contrast. The brilliant white is a little cold though - perhaps they'll come up with a slightly warmer tone. Although it'd be savage if they switched from cool white to warm white depending on the season! :p

Oh, I look forward to seeing the snowfall at night under LED!

They have been rolling out around town for a while now, but only recently have come into my housing estate. I don't find them bright at all to be honest and the shadows they create are darker. Another disadvantage is that I could often see showers coming at night before they arrived here because of the orange reflection bouncing off the clouds from the other side of town. With the increasing amount of white lights, oncoming showers do not seem to be as visible from a distance.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    They have been rolling out around town for a while now, but only recently have come into my housing estate. I don't find them bright at all to be honest and the shadows they create are darker. Another disadvantage is that I could often see showers coming at night before they arrived here because of the orange reflection bouncing off the clouds from the other side of town. With the increasing amount of white lights, oncoming showers do not seem to be as visible from a distance.

I get what you are saying, my bet is that the LEDs are much stronger (therefore designed to spread their light further) but are put at exactly at the same height as the Orange Sodium lights they replace. Therefore it gives a strong downward beam, increasing the contrast between lit and unlit. The upward light is greatly reduced/eliminated, this was driven by star gazers and professionals in the space exploration sectors who campaigned against night light pollution.

Thankfully the LEDs came after rain radar! :p

Meanwhile, back at the ranch - it's 13c and no further measurable rain since last posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Which ones are better for watching snow ?

Woken by loud drumming deluge echoing on the roof... Wind rising; moving into the equinoctial gale season. Black as the proverbial pitch out there, and the cats came flowing in like a surge tide when I opened the door. Nothing as fast as a cat when heavy rain and strong wind are around ;) Distinctly chilly too,, west mayo offshore .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ah but nostalgia, I love the sodium light. I find the white LED lighting very cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Bright morning and 11c

Nice sunny morning in Laois but it definitely feels cooler than the last few days.

harr wrote: »
    Nice sunny morning in Laois but it definitely feels cooler than the last few days.

it's a little bit chillier, but as a whole I think we've done rather well with daytime temperatures this September. This month has already beaten daytime temperatures of June which wouldn't be hard, making this month the 3rd warmest month of the year at my location. However the overall monthly temperature may not get 3rd place due to the cooler nights.

We've already had 5 days that reached 20C or more and most other days in the 17 to 19C range. Compare this to June, I only saw 3 days above 20C and half the month failed to reach above 15C.

Mercurial , wild, sudden deluges and gusty winds, then bright sun. west mayo

Thankfully the LEDs came after rain radar! :p

The orange lights proved to be better and more accurate than the actual rain radar for here.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Could be an interesting evening/night thunder storms forecasted

ZX7R wrote: »
    Could be an interesting evening/night thunder storms forecasted

Ah THAT is why the headache...Thanks! Ah well.. we shall see. Still quixotic; bright sun then ferocious deluges. Full of life and liveliness.. west mayo offshore sanctuary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Graces7 wrote: »
    Ah THAT is why the headache...Thanks! Ah well.. we shall see. Still quixotic; bright sun then ferocious deluges. Full of life and liveliness.. west mayo offshore sanctuary

A few flash's appearing on the radar now west coast and Midlands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Monsoon in Kildare now

pad199207 wrote: »
    Monsoon in Kildare now

Monsoon and sun shining :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement