Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Jaysus sorry to hear that, will insurance cover it?

Yeah they didn’t get much, just and old Iphone 4 I used as an iPod. Insurance covers replacing the windows without affecting my no claims, so it could have been a lot worse.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

huge that John McGuinness will give evidence corroborating McCabe assertions that Callinane told McGuiness that McCabe abused his children !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

sydthebeat wrote: »
    huge that John McGuinness will give evidence corroborating McCabe assertions that Callinane told McGuiness that McCabe abused his children !!!

Can Martin Callinan be charged with perjury, or would it just be a finding against him in the tribunal report?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Zzippy wrote: »
    Can Martin Callinan be charged with perjury, or would it just be a finding against him in the tribunal report?
    It's not a court case, so no.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's not a court case, so no.

Does that mean it's not sworn testimony? Or does a tribunal have lesser standing than a court and you can lie under oath without fear of sanction?

Does that mean it's not sworn testimony? Or does a tribunal have lesser standing than a court and you can lie under oath without fear of sanction?
    I think it's sworn. But the worse thing that can happen is that the report calls you 'unreliable', 'disingenuous' or 'mendacious'. :rolleyes:

Sure Bertie lied to a tribunal and he’s going to run for President.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Tribunals as they are are a complete waste of taxpayers' money. Discuss.

Tribunals as they are are a complete waste of taxpayers' money. Discuss.

The taxpayers of Ireland in 2011 voted down the notion of Oireachtas committees with expanded powers so quite frankly that's entirely their own doing. They have chosen these tribunals as the method of which we investigate this sort of matter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

IIRC that vote in 2011 allowed commitees to come to a conclusion of fact, or something very close to it.

I just can't trust politicians to do that and that's not incl the far left and Shinners.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    IIRC that vote in 2011 allowed commitees to come to a conclusion of fact, or something very close to it.

I just can't trust politicians to do that and that's not incl the far left and Shinners.
    Yeah. Dail committees are just grandstanding exercises. They've become pointless.

CatFromHue wrote: »

I'm far from an expert but part of the text was:

" 2° Each House shall have the power to conduct an inquiry, or an inquiry with the other House, in a manner provided for by law, into any matter stated by the House or Houses concerned to be of general public importance."

Considering the House makes the laws then I assume they could have made it so lying to them would have been punishable.

Yeah. Dail committees are just grandstanding exercises. They've become pointless.

My experience in the public sector (non senior management level TF) is that senior management are terrified of being called before Dail committees. Particularly the PAC. But in terms of inquiry into wrongdoing like the above, yes, pointless.

My experience in the public sector (non senior management level TF) is that senior management are terrified of being called before Dail committees. Particularly the PAC. But in terms of inquiry into wrongdoing like the above, yes, pointless.
    They're rightly terrified because it's about self aggrandisement and not public inquiry. So even the smallest molehill can be made into a mountain for a politician to build their career on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

If anyone is into design, this video about the Canterbury Earthquake memorial is interesting IMO. Of the 6 shortlisted finalists, only 1 was a Kiwi. I'm hopeless at design myself, but always appreciate other's talent in the area.

Canterbury Earthquake memorial

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Was always into heavier music than most of what they covered, but this is ****: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/mar/07/nme-ceases-print-edition-weekly-music-magazine

dregin wrote: »
    Was always into heavier music than most of what they covered, but this is ****: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/mar/07/nme-ceases-print-edition-weekly-music-magazine

Print media is dead, it's a surprise they have lasted this long. Used to buy the NME every week in the late 80's and early 90's. But it's always had a certain demographic that you move out of as you get older. The current generation of indie kids would have no interest in print.

I see that they have identified the nerve agent used in the attempted murder of Skripal and his daughter. They aren't naming it, but they say they know what it is. The police officer who came in contact with it when he went to their aid is now considered out of danger. Crazy stuff.

I see that they have identified the nerve agent used in the attempted murder of Skripal and his daughter. They aren't naming it, but they say they know what it is. The police officer who came in contact with it when he went to their aid is now considered out of danger. Crazy stuff.

And the Russians will still deny it. Yeah, like any old criminal can get their hands on a nerve agent... :rolleyes:

And the Russians will still deny it. Yeah, like any old criminal can get their hands on a nerve agent... :rolleyes:

To be fair nerve agents were discovered by accident whilst trying to make stronger insecticides. The science behind it isn't extravagant, the science behind weaponising and delivering it is a different kettle of fish, but producing a fatal sample in an direct contact environment isn't the same as the WMD type stuff from movies like the Rock.

I'm not suggesting this wasn't the Russian's, but whilst nerve agents are heavily prohibited, the manufacturing process wouldn't be limited to state or military institutions unfortunately.

The Russians must be breathing a sigh of relief that the police office has pulled through all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Wasn’t he in prison in Russia for years? Why not kill him there? I’m not sure I understand what’s going on here at all or why. I’m fairly sure it is the Russians, but I don’t get why. Or more to the point, why now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

but producing a fatal sample in an direct contact environment isn't the same as the WMD type stuff from movies like the Rock..

25yx43.jpg

To be fair nerve agents were discovered by accident whilst trying to make stronger insecticides. The science behind it isn't extravagant, the science behind weaponising and delivering it is a different kettle of fish, but producing a fatal sample in an direct contact environment isn't the same as the WMD type stuff from movies like the Rock.

I'm not suggesting this wasn't the Russian's, but whilst nerve agents are heavily prohibited, the manufacturing process wouldn't be limited to state or military institutions unfortunately.
    You'd still need experienced people and top quality labs to make it safely. Definitely not something you could cook up in your kitchen. And that's just making the stuff. Getting it into a delivery mechanism that won't kill the operator is a whole other level of sticking your head between your knees...

molloyjh wrote: »
    Wasn’t he in prison in Russia for years? Why not kill him there? I’m not sure I understand what’s going on here at all or why. I’m fairly sure it is the Russians, but I don’t get why. Or more to the point, why now.
    Russia's president at the time was Medvedev afaik. Our pal Vlad wasn't at all happy with the prisoner exchange that got Skripal released.

Russia's president at the time was Medvedev afaik. Our pal Vlad wasn't at all happy with the prisoner exchange that got Skripal released.

Medvedev was Putin's puppet while he played prime minister for a couple of years til they could change the law and remove term limits for presidents. No one in their right mind thinks Putin wasn't 100% in charge at all times.
    This is just Putin sending a message, Skripal was a convenient example to make, that's all. Perhaps an easy example due to not having security.

Medvedev was Putin's puppet while he played prime minister for a couple of years til they could change the law and remove term limits for presidents. No one in their right mind thinks Putin wasn't 100% in charge at all times.
    This is just Putin sending a message, Skripal was a convenient example to make, that's all. Perhaps an easy example due to not having security.
    Well maybe he was willing to accept the prisoner exchange to get the Russian guys back, but he said this in a televised interview at the time:

"Traitors will kick the bucket. Trust me. These people betrayed their friends, their brothers in arms. Whatever they got in exchange for it, those 30 pieces of silver they were given, they will choke on them." :eek:

In the interim, Skripal's wife (natural causes), his son and his brother have all died. Very unlucky family. :rolleyes:

Well maybe he was willing to accept the prisoner exchange to get the Russian guys back, but he said this in a televised interview at the time:

"Traitors will kick the bucket. Trust me. These people betrayed their friends, their brothers in arms. Whatever they got in exchange for it, those 30 pieces of silver they were given, they will choke on them." :eek:

In the interim, Skripal's wife (natural causes), his son and his brother have all died. Very unlucky family. :rolleyes:

Putin is happy to play the long game. Unlike Western politicians, he is not worried about an electoral cycle and keeping citizens happy. A prisoner exchange suits him if he gets some of his people back, but it doesn't mean he will just let the Russian traitors live out their lives. Taking his "vengeance" years later will boost his image as a hard man in Russia - his supporters love that.

Putin is happy to play the long game. Unlike Western politicians, he is not worried about an electoral cycle and keeping citizens happy. A prisoner exchange suits him if he gets some of his people back, but it doesn't mean he will just let the Russian traitors live out their lives. Taking his "vengeance" years later will boost his image as a hard man in Russia - his supporters love that.
    Oh yeah. Absolutely. It's reminiscent of how the Mafia operate. Unsurprisingly. :)

Oh yeah. Absolutely. It's reminiscent of how the Mafia operate. Unsurprisingly. :)

Speaking of the Mafia, there's a joke going around Brussels recently relating to Brexit:

The Mafia, they offer you a deal you can't refuse.
    The British, well, they offer you a deal you can't understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Was caught driving while on the phone over the Xmas period. The Gard said I'd have 90 days to pay the ensuing fine, or else it ramps up, both in terms of points and size of fine. Fair enough.

However nothing has apparently arrived at my folks' place (address I still use on my Irish license).

Is there anyone I can contact to see what the story is? I've heard of a fair few people who have been called to appear in court because they didn't pay an on-the-spot fine that they genuinely never received. I live on the other side of the planet, so a court appearance would be most inconvenient!

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Was caught driving while on the phone over the Xmas period. The Gard said I'd have 90 days to pay the ensuing fine, or else it ramps up, both in terms of points and size of fine. Fair enough.

However nothing has apparently arrived at my folks' place (address I still use on my Irish license).

Is there anyone I can contact to see what the story is? I've heard of a fair few people who have been called to appear in court because they didn't pay an on-the-spot fine that they genuinely never received. I live on the other side of the planet, so a court appearance would be most inconvenient!
    If it hasn't come yet, it mightn't be coming at all.

I had to go to court last year for a speeding fine that never arrived either. It's a pain in the hole alright. You can call the office that issues the fines (https://www.goldenpages.ie/garda-fixed-charge-processing-office-thurles/) and they can tell you if one was issued and the date. You might be lucky and the garda never got around to processing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I had to go to court last year for a speeding fine that never arrived either. It's a pain in the hole alright. You can call the office that issues the fines (https://www.goldenpages.ie/garda-fixed-charge-processing-office-thurles/) and they can tell you if one was issued and the date. You might be lucky and the garda never got around to processing it.

Perfect, yeah I'll give them a buzz tomorrow, cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

They have like a year to issue the fine. It seems a lot of Gardai tend to let them build up, do all the paperwork in one go, and give themselves only one day in court. I used to sit in on the district court a fair bit because I was studying law, and one Gardai would be summoning an absolute ton of offenders.

I'm just so disappointed in Neil for driving whilst on the phone. And what makes it worse is his brazen admission of doing it on here. :pac:

errlloyd wrote: »
    They have like a year to issue the fine. It seems a lot of Gardai tend to let them build up, do all the paperwork in one go, and give themselves only one day in court. I used to sit in on the district court a fair bit because I was studying law, and one Gardai would be summoning an absolute ton of offenders.

I thought it was 6 months, no? The agency I work in has a law enforcement role as well and we have 6 months after an incident to issue a summons. I was under the impression that for summary offences the Gardai were the same.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I thought it was 6 months, no? The agency I work in has a law enforcement role as well and we have 6 months after an incident to issue a summons. I was under the impression that for summary offences the Gardai were the same.

I think it is six months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Stheno wrote: »
    I think it is six months

Could very well be tbh. A year is way too long.

Apparently 21 people have now been treated after the attack on Sergei Skripal. Frightening to think that innocent passers-by could be poisoned by a nerve agent like that. Also they are saying that it was a 'very rare' nerve agent which to me means that the perpetrators want it to be attributed to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's frightening to think the intended targets could be poisoned by a nerve agent like that!

Apparently 21 people have now been treated after the attack on Sergei Skripal. Frightening to think that innocent passers-by could be poisoned by a nerve agent like that. Also they are saying that it was a 'very rare' nerve agent which to me means that the perpetrators want it to be attributed to them.

If they ever manage to pin this on Russia, with evidence, surely that is an incredibly serious incident? It's almost an attack on the UK by a foreign actor at this point surely?

If they ever manage to pin this on Russia, with evidence, surely that is an incredibly serious incident? It's almost an attack on the UK by a foreign actor at this point surely?

Have you forgotten Litvinenko? No repercussions there. Putin doesn't give a f*ck anyway...

Have you forgotten Litvinenko? No repercussions there. Putin doesn't give a f*ck anyway...

Of course I remember him but I don't remember a load of collateral damage along with him.

Of course I remember him but I don't remember a load of collateral damage along with him.

The investigation found traces of polonium everywhere Litvinenko had been after the poisoning, and everywhere the two assassins had been. His house was declared uninhabitable, a car he travelled in was unusable. They even found traces on the BA jet the Russians flew back to Moscow on. The difference is he ingested it whereas anyone else only came in contact with it.

Have Russia not effectively pinned this on themselves through state media yesterday:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/09/russian-state-tv-warns-traitors-not-to-settle-in-england

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

The only viable stick anybody had to beat Putin with was trade sanctions and now he knows he has nothing to fear from the largest economy in the world.

Have Russia not effectively pinned this on themselves through state media yesterday:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/09/russian-state-tv-warns-traitors-not-to-settle-in-england
    "People falling out of windows in industrial quantities." :D

Looks like another Brexit dividend. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

The tories won't do a thing, when Theresa May was home secretary she personally intervened to have an investigation into Alexander Litvinenko's death delayed

Swan Curry wrote: »
    The tories won't do a thing, when Theresa May was home secretary she personally intervened to have an investigation into Alexander Litvinenko's death delayed
    And that was before Brexit. Now they're even less likely to do anything more than tut tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Wow. Tiger Woods looks like he's properly back. Didn't expect that to happen.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement